GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I originally put the site up about the Metropolitan Remand centre, in answer to someones query re Mr.Bayley's days, I thought about pasting up the entire thing.. it was so .. so.. . gobsmacking.. I rethought it thru and decided not to.

Remand is for people who are, in law, innocent. That is, they haven't confessed , they plan to argue their case, and in a lot of cases, they will never return to prison, after their case is heard, it will be dropped, or they will be found innocent of the charges laid. In the normal course of events, we will never hear about those people at all. It grates that the Bayleys of this world are 'on remand' at the MRC.... but he is one of 600 plus at the MRC tonight. Some cases take over a year to be heard, and it would be wrong , really wrong if they were to be flung into a dungeon while waiting for that.

I read in the manual posted earlier that they are filtered according to seriousness of crime. So I don't think he's going to be sharing space with car thieves or dope pushers somehow.

And this from the same link! Freaking unbelievable!

:what: :banghead:

WTF???? Why is a prisoner allowed to change their name in prison? Absolutely ridiculous! It's my understanding that a prisoner loses all rights while incarcerated. :waitasec:

They're in fricking jail, not a holiday camp! Man this makes my blood boil! :furious:

MOO.

Yes, Makara it's true. I was a juror on a murder trial in 1994. The bloke went to jail and was released a few years ago with a social work or psych degree and he changed his name and moved interstate.

Sickening.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1001/jill-meagher-australia.html
Jill Meagher's funeral to take place on Friday in Melbourne
Updated: 11:17, Monday, 1 October 2012
There will be a private service at 10.30am local time (1.30am Irish time).
After the service her remains will be cremated.
Her ashes will then be brought by her parents to their home in Perth, Western Australia.
It is expected a public memorial service will be held in Drogheda on the same day. :candle:

Incarceration in jail is the deprivation of liberty - liberty to mix with the rest of society. This is what a jail sentence is. It is not a sentence where the prisoners are to be treated in a cruel and negative way. Many prisoners who are treated humanely never return to prison. If a prisoner is treated inhumanely whilst incarcerated, then society can expect a resentful, negative and vengeful human being may well emerge. At Barwon Prison, many prisoners are kept in lock down 23 hours per day, with only one hour to exercise and feel daylight. (This to me is also inhumane).
Rehabilitation plays a large role in managing prisoners and the comforts that we take for granted play a role in the rehabilitation - television, education tools, movies, swimming pool and a lot of other everyday 'comforts'. But they are in prison and many of the priveleges have to be earned. Not one day would be easy whilst locked up. The 'comforts' are provided to make living more normal for all, and assist the staff also in the management of the prisons.
If you lock a person up and isolate them indefinitely, then would does society expect from that person on release? Treat them humanely, and there is a much greater chance of rehabilitation, and far less chance of mental health issues, which can be a danger to all.
We do not live in a perfect world, but the system of treating prisoners humanely is far better than the times of hard labour with rock breaking, which only produced more bitter, hateful and revengful individuals, who were a huge danger to society when released.
At the moment, we want the worst possible for the charged person, but what does that make us? We are currently extremely angry and upset, but does the desire for revenge make us better people? No, it doesn't. Better to find the positives for a safer and better society from Jill's death, and harsher, more depriving penalties will not achieve anything positive for society as a whole.
Having said all that, I am of the strong belief that the Government of Victoria (at least), has to look at the granting of Parole and I think it is time that sex offenders receive mandatory terms, without Parole. Monitoring, once released, would be a very good move, as the offender has lost the right to move freely in our society - given the widely held view that sex offenders cannot be rehabilitated. MOO
PS I am not a bleeding heart, just being realistic.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1001/jill-meagher-australia.html
Jill Meagher's funeral to take place on Friday in Melbourne
Updated: 11:17, Monday, 1 October 2012
There will be a private service at 10.30am local time (1.30am Irish time).
After the service her remains will be cremated.
Her ashes will then be brought by her parents to their home in Perth, Western Australia.
It is expected a public memorial service will be held in Drogheda on the same day. :candle:

That is lovely. I like that her parents are taking her ashes home with them, but poor Tom. :(

Incarceration in jail is the deprivation of liberty - liberty to mix with the rest of society. This is what a jail sentence is. It is not a sentence where the prisoners are to be treated in a cruel and negative way. Many prisoners who are treated humanely never return to prison. If a prisoner is treated inhumanely whilst incarcerated, then society can expect a resentful, negative and vengeful human being may well emerge. At Barwon Prison, many prisoners are kept in lock down 23 hours per day, with only one hour to exercise and feel daylight. (This to me is also inhumane).
Rehabilitation plays a large role in managing prisoners and the comforts that we take for granted play a role in the rehabilitation - television, education tools, movies, swimming pool and a lot of other everyday 'comforts'. But they are in prison and many of the priveleges have to be earned. Not one day would be easy whilst locked up. The 'comforts' are provided to make living more normal for all, and assist the staff also in the management of the prisons.
If you lock a person up and isolate them indefinitely, then would does society expect from that person on release? Treat them humanely, and there is a much greater chance of rehabilitation, and far less chance of mental health issues, which can be a danger to all.
We do not live in a perfect world, but the system of treating prisoners humanely is far better than the times of hard labour with rock breaking, which only produced more bitter, hateful and revengful individuals, who were a huge danger to society when released.
At the moment, we want the worst possible for the charged person, but what does that make us? We are currently extremely angry and upset, but does the desire for revenge make us better people? No, it doesn't. Better to find the positives for a safer and better society from Jill's death, and harsher, more depriving penalties will not achieve anything positive for society as a whole.
Having said all that, I am of the strong belief that the Government of Victoria (at least), has to look at the granting of Parole and I think it is time that sex offenders receive mandatory terms, without Parole. Monitoring, once released, would be a very good move, as the offender has lost the right to move freely in our society - given the widely held view that sex offenders cannot be rehabilitated. MOO
PS I am not a bleeding heart, just being realistic.

Do you have any evidence of hard-labour causing prisoners to become a danger to society when released? Just wondering...

Welcome to WebSleuths, Cobo, somanto and keyleigh!

:Welcome1:

Hello everyone!

If you wish to continue discussing other cases, you can open a separate thread for those cases!

If you don't know how to start a thread for a particular case that is of interest to you, or don't know exactly which forum to open the thread in, any of our moderators would be happy to help!

Thank you in advance for understanding!
~Summer_Breeze

i know a lot of people here have stated they dont want to know how jill died, fair enough, but i do want to know how and why her precious life was taken, like i want to also know the circumstances of allison baden clays senseless death.
i believe knowledge can be empowering and can be used for positive change. if people know how jill was murdered then hopefully it will enrage enough of us to bring about changes in the courts and penal system and other monsters wont be let out to rape and murder.
we have an example here what happens when we are denied the truth, maybe if we knew who was walking among us we would be better equipped to protect ourselves.
all my opinion only

Welcome to WebSleuths, Cobo, somanto and keyleigh!

:Welcome1:

Thanks Summer! I just read the terms of service to ensure I comply.
One query, i couldn't see it in the TOS, are adults are allowed to use emoticons, or are they just for the kiddies?

i know a lot of people here have stated they dont want to know how jill died, fair enough, but i do want to know how and why her precious life was taken, like i want to also know the circumstances of allison baden clays senseless death.
i believe knowledge can be empowering and can be used for positive change. if people know how jill was murdered then hopefully it will enrage enough of us to bring about changes in the courts and penal system and other monsters wont be let out to rape and murder.
we have an example here what happens when we are denied the truth, maybe if we knew who was walking among us we would be better equipped to protect ourselves.
all my opinion only

Fair enough but I would note that a significant number of people are enraged enough already. And I would note something else. I'm not sure that people do their best, most constructive work when they are angry. When things are very raw - as they are now. And please forgive me - because I am new at this - but I'm not sure what changes we can make that will mean this will never happen again. We can only hope that the judicial system will ensure due process and that the perpetrator of this crime is punished to the full extent of the law.

Like I said in the beginning, I am a novice. I'm not sure what we can do in a positive sense to fix this thing. But I'm not convinced that knowledge of the details of the crime will assist to achieve justice for the victim or her family; and there is a danger that it could incite further violence and form fodder for ghouls as well as other sexual predators.

Just my opinion though. You could be right!

wow if he was living with his partner, wonder where he said he was going before he left for the night. Did she become suspicious, scared, worried when he came back in the early hours of the morning or not at all. Did she try contacting him to find out his whereabouts or to see if he was ok? Does anyone know if he was working? shiftwork?
Did he return home in the same clothes? What condition were they in? Did he return home in new clothing? Did this raise her suspicion about connecting him to crime the day media released Jill had gone missing? DId she alert police to possible connection?
I wonder.

Thanks Summer! I just read the terms of service to ensure I comply.
One query, i couldn't see it in the TOS, are adults are allowed to use emoticons, or are they just for the kiddies?

hahahaha. Use of the emoticons is open to all ages.

th_Wave.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member