Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hardly think me saying that I found it a bit of a laugh that they all expected a phone call to be notified of the detective having annual leave “victim blaming”.
Sally is entitled to feel let down and entitled to want answers, but you also need to be realistic toward the police, they are people too, they are entitled to have annual leave and I think the podcast (not Sally) tbh mainly Brian have been pretty harsh toward Detective Sheehan.
I never said victim blaming. I said that per websleuths TOS all forums should be victim friendly which means you don’t criticise the victims. It’s fine to think something in your head but this is not the place to share that. I’m just telling you what their TOS says and I think by following it, it generally makes for a more constructive discussion forum.

It was mentioned in the latest conversations episode that there was redacted detail around why they considered Marion to not be a missing person. That info would obviously hugely enlightening to the whole case imo.

Maybe the 20k was left in the UK account as a cover. She wanted people to think she went missing from the UK and didn’t travel back to Australia.
As I said, whether she’s alive or not now is a different story, but I believe she wanted to go missing.
It seems hard to believe that someone would just leave 20,000 untouched for 22 years in a bank account. It seems really extreme that she would go to such lengths to hide from her family. It seems more logical to send them a letter that she has started a new life and does not want to be contacted. Instead the path she has chosen has launched a huge investigation that she wouldn't have wanted but set herself up for. Why not just tell the police I do not want to be found, please tell my family?
I do think she was hiding a relationship from her family though. As to why, maybe the request of the F. Remakel. The one who was probably in the dark car, the one who was coming over when Marion made Sally's husband leave. The one she met from the local ad. She knew French, she reached out to him because she was lonely. Maybe she fell in love and he convinced her to sell everything and go explore Europe with him. Then the last phone call she said she was going to be out of touch. Not because she was going back to Australia, but because he was taking her somewhere in Luxembourg where she would not have any way of communicating. Why call your daughter and tell her that if you didn't care about her anymore and wanted to start a new life? Why not just start a new life? Does not seem like she wanted to vanish at all to me.

It seems hard to believe that someone would just leave 20,000 untouched for 22 years in a bank account. It seems really extreme that she would go to such lengths to hide from her family. It seems more logical to send them a letter that she has started a new life and does not want to be contacted. Instead the path she has chosen has launched a huge investigation that she wouldn't have wanted but set herself up for. Why not just tell the police I do not want to be found, please tell my family?
I do think she was hiding a relationship from her family though. As to why, maybe the request of the F. Remakel. The one who was probably in the dark car, the one who was coming over when Marion made Sally's husband leave. The one she met from the local ad. She knew French, she reached out to him because she was lonely. Maybe she fell in love and he convinced her to sell everything and go explore Europe with him. Then the last phone call she said she was going to be out of touch. Not because she was going back to Australia, but because he was taking her somewhere in Luxembourg where she would not have any way of communicating. Why call your daughter and tell her that if you didn't care about her anymore and wanted to start a new life? Why not just start a new life? Does not seem like she wanted to vanish at all to me.
Also I just want to add a little more logic. If you leave 20,000 in an account in Europe hoping people would see it and think you never came back to Australia, why then go withdraw money from your Australian bank account. If you expect people to see your Europe bank account, you would also expect them to see your Australian one.

Also I just want to add a little more logic. If you leave 20,000 in an account in Europe hoping people would see it and think you never came back to Australia, why then go withdraw money from your Australian bank account. If you expect people to see your Europe bank account, you would also expect them to see your Australian one.
I don't think she did expect people to see what was happening in her Australian account. I think that changed everything. All of a sudden, the bank was a place she couldn't trust. The bank breached her privacy when they revealed that she was in Australia. I understand why, and people are people, but I am sure the bank has procedures in place to deal with potential frauds.

If the name Remakel is significant, author Michele Remakel had books published in French and German during the 90's. The author is from Luxembourg. Marion spoke French- if she came across a book, and enjoyed it- that might be a link to the name. Especially if she was considering a way of remaking her life- the play on words might have appealed to her.

Just read a comment from lost boys of TSS. The fact is that when someone goes missing people only want to hear great things, however to find someone who has gone missing, you have to take the good with bad information available if they really want to find out what happened.

I find the whole Lesley part of the story very confusing and intriguing. It seems to me that she has information that she is unwilling to share with Sally. If Marion stayed with her for the 3 weeks before she left Australia , she surely has information that would help.

Yes, I have been wondering if her name and information might be part of the redacted police documents?

I find the whole Lesley part of the story very confusing and intriguing. It seems to me that she has information that she is unwilling to share with Sally. If Marion stayed with her for the 3 weeks before she left Australia , she surely has information that would help.
Is possible as her friend Lesley gave her word to keep Marions business private and as a friend she has done that, no matter what.

Is it possible that Marion moved to Luxembourg and since broke up with the person she went there with and then moved on with someone else?

I read her posts about the bank manager- it clearly states this occurent at Tweed not Byron Bay but Sally misread it.
He may very well have been in Byron in 97. It is an interesting coincidence. The article does state he worked at Byron

I read her posts about the bank manager- it clearly states this occurent at Tweed not Byron Bay but Sally misread it.
He may very well have been in Byron in 97. It is an interesting coincidence. The article does state he worked at Byron

From the above article:

Higgins worker there between October 2001 and October 2002.

From the above article:

Higgins worker there between October 2001 and October 2002.
So he was not there when Marion's money was being withdrawn.

The big problem I have with it being an imposter taking money out in Byron, is that surely, when Sally went to the branch and showed a picture of her mother, explained the situation- if it wasn't Marion taking out the money, wouldn't you (as a bank manager) be reporting the fraud? Because when Marion came home and discovered her account empty, and found out her daughter had let the bank know- the bank manager is going to be in seriously hot water. Unless we want to say that the bank was colluding with someone who knew she was not going to come back, which is starting to sound very far fetched, especially when money was also withdrawn from the Colonial State bank on the Gold Coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon