Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know everyone is frustrated at all the evidence being admitted. It really does make your blood pressure rise. But there really is massive evidence of a pattern of swindling vulnerable women - and the benefits system in Australia - I don't understand why he hasn't been arrested based on all the years of testimony from victims ALREADY!!!

I am wondering if there is proof of the defendant having stayed at an Oast House in Kent With Marion? Or having a European bank account after he left Europe to live permanently in Australia? The questions were very specific?
Yes I thought, for a moment that they'd found evidence of him staying at one.
And he would have got the shock of his life if they came up with a guest book that Marion had signed for the both of them.

I know everyone is frustrated at all the evidence being admitted. It really does make your blood pressure rise. But there really is massive evidence of a pattern of swindling vulnerable women - and the benefits system in Australia - I don't understand why he hasn't been arrested based on all the years of testimony from victims ALREADY!!!
That’s the problem, though, he should have been done for social security fraud long ago. What’s taking them so long? At this rate, he’s going to die before he gets charged.

On TLV Facebook page Sandy had posted a video thanking supporters and she says at the end that there will be many episodes released in the next view weeks revealing more information than just that which was covered in the inquest. Hopefully something meaningful

I’m not sure how the rewards claims work but surely there would have to be some rigour around the process otherwise they would be inundated with claims. IMO, the only conclusion is either that the bank manager is telling the truth but mixing up the time markers, or she’s making the story up to cover herself for allowing a withdrawal by an imposter.
To get a reward, one needs to lead the investigators to the perpetrator.

Thinking about the inquest today, it began with the Coroner stating to RB that he must tell the truth. He must not lie. So perhaps many of the questions Casseldon asked were about evidence they already had about him so that they could charge him with perjury. Also not disclosing something you know is also a problem.

Last edited:
Thinking about the inquest today, it began with the Coroner stating to RB that he must tell the truth. He must not lie. So perhaps many of the questions Casseldon asked were perhaps about evidence they already had about him so that they could charge him with perjury. Also not disclosing something you know is also a problem.

I thought she said he could not lie because he might think because he is not in an actual court that meant he could get away with lying without consequence ... not that been in court made any difference to his moral compass .. it was kind of a waste of her breath to even bother stating it lol

I found it quite interesting that GDD gave evidence of her engagement and celebration to AS (Channel7) and not the lawyers or police.
Do we know for sure that she didn’t give this evidence to the police? After all, she did go to the police when it happened but nothing came of it. It seems the police weren’t very interested in her case at the time. It’s really only been the media interest and the work of Sally and amateur sleuths that have got this case moving.

I found it quite interesting that GDD gave evidence of her engagement and celebration to AS (Channel7) and not the lawyers or police.

I think sometimes people just forget or if it wasn't her copy someone else may have said they had a copy after she mentioned the situation to them. who knows but I don't think it was intentional

AS would have loved been the one to deliver it to the police so probably told her she would take care of it

I am wondering if there is proof of the defendant having stayed at an Oast House in Kent With Marion? Or having a European bank account after he left Europe to live permanently in Australia? The questions were very specific?
I’m not sure but did he actually answer the question about staying in an Oast House? Not sure why AC mentioned Kent as Marion’s postcard strongly suggested it was East Sussex?

As for Marion going to Bali. Surely there would be a passenger card under either of her names showing she had left Australia, unless we are saying she flew directly there from Europe and somebody else played the role of Marion Barter and had the conversation at the bank. JMO but I believe this is a red herring in Marion’s case.

Like many I was really disappointed yet again by the inquest. I dread to think what Sally is feeling.

It is pointless asking him questions. It’s like nailing custard to the wall.

It’s now up to the Police and forensic accountants to delve deeper into his and his families wealth and financial transactions.

Being a pathological liar should not exempt you from being brought to criminal justice. Just get on with it as the process is so painfully slow and totally unfair on Sally.

As for Marion going to Bali. Surely there would be a passenger card under either of her names showing she had left Australia, unless we are saying she flew directly there from Europe and somebody else played the role of Marion Barter and had the conversation at the bank. JMO but I believe this is a red herring in Marion’s case.
Yeah I don't think she went to Bali (unless somehow she was travelling on a false document or something like that but doubtful IMO as that doesn't seem to be a pattern for the other victims). I don't think she went there but it's possible that she had the conversation with people about wanting to go there, based on the other evidence.

you would hope the police have fully investigated that she hadn't left the country again, but they did miss her depol name change, QLD driver's license, her FNMR QLD Drivers license, the FR driver's license for how many years !

Although I don't think she did leave again, I am not fill with confidence that the police would spot it if she had

Like many I was really disappointed yet again by the inquest. I dread to think what Sally is feeling.

It is pointless asking him questions. It’s like nailing custard to the wall.

It’s now up to the Police and forensic accountants to delve deeper into his and his families wealth and financial transactions.

Being a pathological liar should not exempt you from being brought to criminal justice. Just get on with it as the process is so painfully slow and totally unfair on Sally.
Agree, competent forensic accountants need to be digging into all the transactions around him and his family members although he obviously took great care to cover up by dealing in cash

Watching AKA just fills me with anger & frustration. I’ve had a couple of relatives who played on their old age to avoid taking responsibility. One of them a womanising (in the UK & abroad) convicted bigamist who led a double life (only discovered after he died) who was never short of a bob or two despite seemingly never having a proper job. Even recently Ancestry found another of his illegitimate children aged in their 80s. When I first started listening to Marion’s story I knew which direction it was heading.

My hope with AKA is that there is a deathbed confession. Unlikely I know.

probably already mentioned but he didn't have a problem getting out of that chair and standing up straight and then walking off at the end of the proceedings today.
I watched it again just now, and to be fair he does appear to take a while before being able to stand. Looked like he was sort of rocking in order to get up. I may be over-thinking, but there's a lot of it about!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member