Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they might have but thought see might have been a troll. See my recent post. I now recall she put a post on MyHeritage saying she met him briefly on the Gold Coast in the early 1990’s and was trying to locate him again. Can someone translate the above

Wait so there is a THIRD Michele advertisement?
Could you please have a think about where you might've seen this ad so we can search for it again?
Who thought Michele was a troll?

I think they might have but thought see might have been a troll. See my recent post. I now recall she put a post on MyHeritage saying she met him briefly on the Gold Coast in the early 1990’s and was trying to locate him again. Can someone translate the above
I can translate from French…what is it that you want translated?

EDIT: if it is this you want translated:
Bonjour, est-ce que quelqu'un ici connaît M. Fernand Remakel? Je ne trouve pas de coordonnées pour lui. J'essaie de reprendre contact avec lui, je l'ai rencontré en Australie il y a longtemps. Merci Michele

then it means:
Hello, is there anyone here [on the forum] who knows [in this sense ‘has met’ rather than just ‘knows of’ because of the use of the word connaît] Mr Fernand Remekel? I can’t find any contact details for him. I am trying to reconnect with him, I met him in Australia a long time ago.

and the response:
Beaucoup de personnes en Australie cherchent cet homme. Dans quelle ville est-ce que vous l'avez rencontre? Quand? Il etait comment?

A lot of people in Australia are looking for this man. In which city did you meet him? When? What was he like? [in this context…what did he look like?]

Probabaly also significant to say that this message is posted on a forum in Luxembourg for French speaking residents. Is this significant in terms of the timing of its posting? maybe why original posters here thought it was someone who was sleuthing the Luxembourg F.Remakel from the podcast?

Last edited:
Bonjour, est-ce que quelqu'un ici connaît M. Fernand Remakel? Je ne trouve pas de coordonnées pour lui. J'essaie de reprendre contact avec lui, je l'ai rencontré en Australie il y a longtemps. Merci Michele.

Hello, does anyone here know Mr. Fernand Remakel? I can't find contact information for him. I'm trying to reconnect with him, I met him in Australia a long time ago. Thanks Michelle.

0 helpful votes
Respond

No a Roadside assistance policy or a comprehensive insurance policy would not automatically cancel upon sale of a car. The policy holder would have to cancel them or alternatively they'd lapse when the policy holder failed to renew (unless in the case of direct debit where it would automatically renew and not cancel until such time as there was no money in the associated direct debit account, however based on the article I linked above I have serious doubts that it would have been direct debit).

The only other type of insurance is CTP (green slip as some know it). I think that it would've been specified that it was a CTP policy by AC. This type of insurance does travel with the car itself not the registered owner. So this type of policy would transfer to the new owner upon the sale being completed. So effectively, you can't really 'cancel' a CTP midway through a policy without cancelling the registration of the car first. You also can't do CTP as direct debit (you might be able to do it in some states now but you still can't in NSW and certainly not in 1997).

I do think it was Marion who cancelled this policy and also lean towards it being roadside assistance as that was what it sounded like at inquest but could be wrong.

Also further to this - it can't have been as early at 7 August that SL sold the car. If she had sold the car prior to 7 August she would've just put the money in Marion's bank account like she had agreed to. She must've sold the car at a later date AFTER she had discovered that something was amiss, otherwise she would've gone ahead with the agreement she had with her mum. So someone has cancelled the policy and it wasn't SL who actually had possession of the car at the time and we do know that Marion was in the country at the time.

No a Roadside assistance policy or a comprehensive insurance policy would not automatically cancel upon sale of a car. The policy holder would have to cancel them or alternatively they'd lapse when the policy holder failed to renew (unless in the case of direct debit where it would automatically renew and not cancel until such time as there was no money in the associated direct debit account, however based on the article I linked above I have serious doubts that it would have been direct debit).

The only other type of insurance is CTP (green slip as some know it). I think that it would've been specified that it was a CTP policy by AC. This type of insurance does travel with the car itself not the registered owner. So this type of policy would transfer to the new owner upon the sale being completed. So effectively, you can't really 'cancel' a CTP midway through a policy without cancelling the registration of the car first. You also can't do CTP as direct debit (you might be able to do it in some states now but you still can't in NSW and certainly not in 1997).

I do think it was Marion who cancelled this policy and also lean towards it being roadside assistance as that was what it sounded like at inquest but could be wrong.
Yes I have it that it was cancelled 7 August, presumably by phone - MB FB Page

Hmm, this happened back in 2020 BUT now I'm thinking of it I don't think we knew about the Le Courier Michele at the time. Both Michele's have different surnames but could very well be the same person.

Do you know when the Le Courier Michele ad was discovered by any chance?
There was some sleuthing done back in 2020 on Michele Burnett but the focus at that time was on Tunbridge Wells and there was one found in that area who spelled her name Michelle, however this was pre AKA days. I'll go find what thread number those discussions were on and link you.

I remember thinking back then that Michele could be a mans name too.
The Ad I found and probs the same one you found? Is dated Feb 1997

Thats why I was intrigued by it.

So are these, one and the same people?

And now we have Tunbridge Wells???

Last edited:
I
Wait so there is a THIRD Michele advertisement?
Could you please have a think about where you might've seen this ad so we can search for it again?
Who thought Michele was a troll?
It sounds confusing doesn't it!

So its either someone from the MB team posting it via a Lux forum to try and find who they thought at the time was AH

Or its another victim trying to find AH after he replied to her ad in 1997

Or its someone looking for information on AH in relation to the podcast

I can translate from French…what is it that you want translated?

EDIT: if it is this you want translated:
Bonjour, est-ce que quelqu'un ici connaît M. Fernand Remakel? Je ne trouve pas de coordonnées pour lui. J'essaie de reprendre contact avec lui, je l'ai rencontré en Australie il y a longtemps. Merci Michele

then it means:
Hello, is there anyone here [on the forum] who knows [in this sense ‘has met’ rather than just ‘knows of’ because of the use of the word connaît] Mr Fernand Remekel? I can’t find any contact details for him. I am trying to reconnect with him, I met him in Australia a long time ago.

and the response:
Beaucoup de personnes en Australie cherchent cet homme. Dans quelle ville est-ce que vous l'avez rencontre? Quand? Il etait comment?

A lot of people in Australia are looking for this man. In which city did you meet him? When? What was he like? [in this context…what did he look like?]

Probabaly also significant to say that this message is posted on a forum in Luxembourg for French speaking residents. Is this significant in terms of the timing of its posting? maybe why original posters here thought it was someone who was sleuthing the Luxembourg F.Remakel from the podcast?
Replying to myself to add…
of course it could still be one and the same person…possible scenario:

1997: Michèle (no surname provided…from my previous posts on this IMO CHEMINON is the name of her location and not the surname) posts in LCA looking for someone on the Gold Coast, and gets a response from someone called FR Who scams and disappears.

2019: Michele Burnett (no Accent grave è which may or may not be significant but was posted in a French forum and there are accents on other words). Posts in a Francophone forum in Luxembourg because she may have heard the podcast about the FR ad, which informs her that he is from Luxembourg and decides to sleuth someone she did meet earlier In response to her ad?

Replying to myself to add…
of course it could still be one and the same person…possible scenario:

1997: Michèle (no surname provided…from my previous posts on this IMO CHEMINON is the name of her location and not the surname) posts in LCA looking for someone on the Gold Coast, and gets a response from someone called FR Who scams and disappears.

2019: Michele Burnett (no Accent grave è which may or may not be significant but was posted in a French forum and there are accents on other words). Posts in a Francophone forum in Luxembourg because she may have heard the podcast about the FR ad, which informs her that he is from Luxembourg and decides to sleuth someone she did meet earlier In response to her ad?

I wondered the same on the name CHEMINON but there are people with that last name on Facebook
(living in france), so now I think the location is BLANQUEFORT, France and CHEMINON the last name,

BLANQUEFORT, France. MICHELE
39 ans, 1 m60, libre sans enfants, bien
physiquement, sérieuse, souhaite
rencontrer gentleman 39-50 ans, libre,
affectueux, sincère, situation stable,
pour une conclusion heureuse: amour
sécurité et plus si affinités. Sydney et
Gold Coast seulement. Photos
appréciées. Pas sérieux s'abstenir.
ANNONCES
Ecrire à Michèle CHEMINON, P.O.
Box 394, RANDWICK, NSW 2031

I wondered the same on the name CHEMINON but there are people with that last name on Facebook
(living in france), so now I think the location is BLANQUEFORT, France and CHEMINON the last name,

BLANQUEFORT, France. MICHELE
39 ans, 1 m60, libre sans enfants, bien
physiquement, sérieuse, souhaite
rencontrer gentleman 39-50 ans, libre,
affectueux, sincère, situation stable,
pour une conclusion heureuse: amour
sécurité et plus si affinités. Sydney et
Gold Coast seulement. Photos
appréciées. Pas sérieux s'abstenir.
ANNONCES
Ecrire à Michèle CHEMINON, P.O.
Box 394, RANDWICK, NSW 2031
Hi @KiwiNZ
I posted about this on the previous thread. if you look at the original image of the post (as opposed to the transcript) you can see that Blanquefort belongs to the previous add which has the address Rue de Solesse (which is in Blanquefort) and postal code starting 33 which is the Bordeaux region where Blanquefort is…further reasoning here…
Post in thread 'Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #18'
Australia - Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #18

Hi @KiwiNZ
I posted about this on the previous thread. if you look at the original image of the post (as opposed to the transcript) you can see that Blanquefort belongs to the previous add which has the address Rue de Solesse (which is in Blanquefort) and postal code starting 33 which is the Bordeaux region where Blanquefort is…further reasoning here…
Post in thread 'Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #18'
Australia - Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #18

That would make sense then ... agree with you then Cheminon is likely the area she is from

do we know if the payments were monthly on the RACQ ? or does anyone know how much it is a year ?

could she have cancelled it because she planned to close her bank accounts and therefore would default on the payment anyway ?

Or whomsoever scammed her money cancelled all future outgoing payments so as not to generate any interest or enquiries?

It may have been only a potential courtesy call from the RACQ to say are you aware your most recent standing order hasn't been received but why even risk it?

Also *landline phone* - assuming Marion had a landline phone at her home she sold, what happened to it? Did she put all her potential incoming calls on a redirect or to a voicemail system?

Bearing in mind how quickly she moved. Or did she leave the line in situ for the next person to take over (not sure it works like that but just wondering).

Back in the 90s you'd be far more likely to get a phone call to your home number from any organisation who a payment had defaulted so they could have a chat.

I still don't agree with the idea of Marion cancelling the insurance. Wouldn't it be cancelled anyway when the car was sold as change of ownership would be notified to the RACQ?

As per my comment above. If I was a scammer like RB is and I had taken over Marion's bank accounts in order to completely de-fund them, I would cancel all outgoing payments in order to ensure no form of interest or enquiry is generated in the future by anyone.

I'd even overdraw them to the maximum possible and take loans from the bank whilst I'm at it.

Heck, knowing him he'd be wanting all the free biros and notelets and bank stationery to boot.

Bonjour, est-ce que quelqu'un ici connaît M. Fernand Remakel? Je ne trouve pas de coordonnées pour lui. J'essaie de reprendre contact avec lui, je l'ai rencontré en Australie il y a longtemps. Merci Michele.

Hello, does anyone here know Mr. Fernand Remakel? I can't find contact information for him. I'm trying to reconnect with him, I met him in Australia a long time ago. Thanks Michelle.

0 helpful votes
Respond

'Michele' can be either a male or female name in European countries.

In the UK it is usually only a female name and spelled Michelle, however that is not the case in France, Italy etc where it is usually a male name. Michel or Michele

I think I'd forgotten this bit about Evelyn Reid and the champagne bottle.
The article says she noticed that the top had been tampered with.

I knew about the bottle but forgot why she was suspicious, apart from the fact that he gave it to her.

Maybe during their conversation he thought he may have let something slip...

I wish she still had that bottle.
Or the police had had it examined

Yes there are two ads from Michele’s whether they’re the same Michele or not is a mystery. One is from 1997 and the other from 2019.

I’ve obviously missed this!! Has anyone had any success in following up with her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark