Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #22

TLV: does the name Florabella Natalia Remakel ring a bell
MC: never heard of that name – Florabella / Natalia never heard it.

Doesn't comment on the name REMAKEL - she knows they are from Australia yet she makes no connection to her old lover from Australia who stole her husbands ID?

She says she left him when she found out he was married and she was lonely and going through a divorce - by all calculations they were in the thick of it 1979/ 1980 when Diane fly's home heavily pregnant and a toddler in tow only to return a couple of weeks later to give birth to Maite.

MC says the real FR and her divorced 1985

The real FR says they separated in 1977
The real FR says they divorced 1989

MC says she was lonely and divorcing her first husband when they met...... BUT the furniture business she knew he was involved with was in 1979 / 1980 -( she talks about him stealing from peoples homes in the UK and transporting it all back to Belgium ) - the divorce didn't happen until 1989! ......So near on 10 yrs before any divorce happened

AH is still writing to her when they are in Tasmania 1990 to 1992 - to me that doesn't sound like she called it off, her words, "straight away when I found out he was married " and "I looked after a small boy who looked just like FdeH" (probably when Diane was having Maite)

The real FR claims he had never heard of FdeH - OR that MC had an affair with FdeH
YET MC claims that the real FR and her were still good friends and she asked him to check out FdeH because she was suspicious of him and the real FR did that and as MC says, "that was when his ID was stolen".

SO IF MC and the real FR are telling the truth WHY then did the real FR not divulge that his ID was stolen long ago by a man who lived in Australia and knew his ex wife.......and that he had to 'check him out' for his ex wife

More lies - more story to tell there - covering up something for sure

JMO

I would LOVE to know what constitutes being a pensioner in Luxembourg as the real FR states he is.

Because MC states he is a property developer who owns many houses and apartments and we also know he (potentially) is the mastermind behind all of those patented inventions - like the hidden compartment luggage case.

And just where did MC meet all of these men who worked along the same lines that AH did.
"the toddler's"

The fact MC refused to be questioned at the Inquest even by video link says a lot to me. She had to supply some form of evidence as she couldn’t be seen to be silent over a missing woman when her close connection to Aka and the Remakel name would be impossible to deny.

She says she has spoken to NSW & Luxembourg Police and if so you would hope she has supplied the names of his acquaintances in Europe when she admits she knew he was up to his criminal activities including in the UK. I’m not holding my breath.

As mentioned in the past the only time Aka became rattled and emotional at the inquest is when her evidence was given. Being betrayed by his lover. He was probably thinking is there no honour among thieves? JMO

The fact MC refused to be questioned at the Inquest even by video link says a lot to me. She had to supply some form of evidence as she couldn’t be seen to be silent over a missing woman when her close connection to Aka and the Remakel name would be impossible to deny.

She says she has spoken to NSW & Luxembourg Police and if so you would hope she has supplied the names of his acquaintances in Europe when she admits she knew he was up to his criminal activities including in the UK. I’m not holding my breath.

As mentioned in the past the only time Aka became rattled and emotional at the inquest is when her evidence was given. Being betrayed by his lover. He was probably thinking is there no honour among thieves? JMO
I agree!

My guess is that MC may be very embarrassed that her relationship to Mr AKA is being made so public.
A public that can be very cruel, unkind and lacking in any semblance of empathy to those that become their target.
My guess is she is more terrified by the fact that something will be unearthed as the investigation gets underway and that there is more to the story of exactly what she does know about RB and the 'stolen' FR ID

My guess is that MC may be very embarrassed that her relationship to Mr AKA is being made so public.
A public that can be very cruel, unkind and lacking in any semblance of empathy to those that become their target.
Possibly but Aka’s other victims have had to overcome any embarrassment & possible humiliation in their dealings with this despicable individual in order to paint a picture on how this guy works by attending the inquest in person.

Poor GG-B had to explain again about her nude (JMO blackmailing) photos. She has family so that must have been a very difficult thing to do.

MC has been happy enough to speak to reporters. Such a shame she couldn’t extend that to the inquest itself. JMO

Must have been at his house (in his possession) otherwise why would he have spun that story about her coming to pick them up with the “pilot in uniform”
Yes totally at his house and also sold off to various mates with second hand shops in the areas IMO
These two prints below, that belonged to Marion (and now missing) need to be revisited/shared as much as possible (again!). It’s been previously discussed on Websleuths about AH saying MB went to his Wollongbar house to pick up her belongings (with the pilot ... not), but (IMOO and shared by many others) because someone can place seeing (or buying) that art there. Somebody knows something.

Below quoted from FB by SL … “This is the photo of the Jamie Boyd piece of art!"

"Vase of Flowers" Jamie Boyd print (below).

%22Vase of Flowers%22 Jamie Boyd.png

"Don Juan in Hell" Norman Lindsay print (below)

%22Don Juan in Hell%22 print.png

If you gooooogle “Marion Barter Jamie Boyd” the FB page link comes up too.

I was reminded after reading the Coroner’s report of Marion’s love of opera. She went with her sister to the opera not long before she travelled to the UK.

The biggest opera Festival in the UK is at Glyndebourne which in 1997 ran from the 18 May to 12 July so during part of Marion’s stay.

The significance of this is that Glyndebourne is a small village in East Sussex only 17 minutes away from Alfriston. It’s between Hastings & Brighton and both are off the A27 road.

Her visit to Alfriston has always puzzled me as it’s off the beaten track and most people in the South East of England would struggle to tell you where it is. How on Earth would Marion know?

Could she visit both on the same day. Visit Alfriston in the afternoon and go to the opera in the evening?

I wonder if anyone ever approached Glyndebourne and whether photos and publicity shots were taken in 1997?

I was reminded after reading the Coroner’s report of Marion’s love of opera. She went with her sister to the opera not long before she travelled to the UK.

The biggest opera Festival in the UK is at Glyndebourne which in 1997 ran from the 18 May to 12 July so during part of Marion’s stay.

The significance of this is that Glyndebourne is a small village in East Sussex only 17 minutes away from Alfriston. It’s between Hastings & Brighton and both are off the A27 road.

Her visit to Alfriston has always puzzled me as it’s off the beaten track and most people in the South East of England would struggle to tell you where it is. How on Earth would Marion know?

Could she visit both on the same day. Visit Alfriston in the afternoon and go to the opera in the evening?

I wonder if anyone ever approached Glyndebourne and whether photos and publicity shots were taken in 1997?
Lord Peter what valuable knowledge!
Yes wouldn't it be great if there are photos somewhere!

There should be a Facebook page related to it and we could put messages out to see if anyone was there at that time and has photos..

I found the 1997 programme listed on ebay

The festival ran from 18 May to 24 August - so as @Lord Peter Flimsy said, it sits right on the timeline of when Marion was there

One of the Operas performed was "Owen Wingrave"

And Mozarts, Le nozze di Figaro

OH PLEASE let us find a photo of Marion *fingers crossed*!

Attachments

• 1997 PROGRAMME.jpg
    1997 PROGRAMME.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 16
Marion’s Alfriston postcard to Sally purchased at Sally’s Craft & Gift Giving Centre in the village was postmarked July 1997. Annoyingly it’s not clear what date. If Marion & Aka did go to Glyndebourne Opera just 8 miles up the road then we are looking at July performances.

Puccini, Manon Lescaut: 04 July, 07 July, 12 July.
Mozart, Le Nozze di Figaro: 05 July, 08 July, 11 July, 13 July, 16 July, 21 July, 25 July, 28 July.
Janacek, The Makropulos Case: 01 July, 06 July, 09 July, 14 July, 19 July, 26 July.

Best chances for Mozart, date-wise?

Plots:

Manon Lescaut: Manon is a tale of love, greed, and betrayal. Manon is a young girl who is being sent to a convent by her family. She runs into Des Grieux, who falls instantly in love with her, and the two decide to elope and run away to Paris. They live happily for some time, until Manon is persuaded to leave Des Grieux for the promise of luxury and riches with De Brétigny. Some time later, Des Grieux is so devastated that he has decided to enter into the priesthood. Manon hears of this and rushes to convince him of their love. The two are reunited, until they gamble away their fortune and are both arrested for cheating in a game. While Des Grieux is released, Manon is sentenced to long years in prison and deportation to America. Des Grieux seeks her out to rescue her, but arrives too late. Manon dies in his arms.

Le Nozze di Figaro: The Marriage of Figaro is set over just one day (as indicated by its subtitle ‘A Day of Follies’) – Figaro’s wedding day. The curtain rises on Figaro and bride-to-be Susanna, fitting out the new room that their master the Count has given them. Susanna reveals that the only reason the Count has made such a generous gift is to keep her nearby – he plans to seduce her, re-instating the lately abolished ‘feudal right’ which allowed a lord to have his way with a servant girl on her wedding night. Figaro is furious, and vows to outsmart the Count. Together with Susanna, the abandoned Countess and the page boy Cherubino (who adores all women, especially the Countess), they put in place a cunning plan to ensnare him. Expect disguises, mistaken identities, and a lot of hiding in (and under) things…

The Makropulos Case: ACT I The offices of the lawyer Dr Kolenaty. The outcome of the century-old inheritance case of Gregor vs Prus is expected today. Kolenaty outlines the case at length to the famous opera singer Emilia Marty, who reveals an uncanny knowledge of past events concerning Elian MacGregor, the mistress of "Pepi" Prus, and directs them to an unknown will. Emilia Marty wants a document in Greek from Albert Gregor, who is attracted by her.
ACT II Backstage at the opera house. After a triumphant performance Emilia Marty holds court for her admirers. Prus and Gregor intrigue over various documents that will affect the case. Both men are now fascinated by Marty. Prus agrees to bring her the Greek document she wants if she will meet him that night.
ACT III Emilia Marty's hotel room. Baron Prus has spent the night with Marty, but claims she is cold and unfeeling. She asks for the document. Various people arrive with questions as her past catches up with her. Emilia Marty tells her story: She was born Elina Makropulos in 1585 to the alchemist at the court of Rudolf II. Her father invented a potion to prolong life and tested it on her. She has lived for over three hundred years and changed her name several times, keeping the initials E.M. She needs to take the formula again to stay alive. But, she says, infinite life has no meaning: it only has a value when it is finite. The formula is burnt and Emilia Marty dies.

From a German newspaper in 1997 (translated from German original):
Splendor and misery are very close together in the UK. You meet the poor at London's Victoria Station and the rich an hour's train ride away. If you go to the Glyndebourne Festival, unless you have to work there, you have money, wear fine threads and fine silks and, because Glyndebourne is famous for its extensive intermissions, also carry a picnic basket with culinary delicacies. Glyndebourne is something like the English Bayreuth. Festivity desired.

Last edited:
I wholly support this line of investigation. Good luck, sleuths! Sadly, for me, what I know of Marion and AKA, and Glyndebourne -- I can't imagine AKA indulging Marion and accompanying her there. I can imagine him discouraging her from attending with some BS rationale. I feel like had she attended, she definitely would have shared the experience back home. For me, the curbing and isolating of Marion is a big part of the tragedy-- from the beginning. I hope I'm wrong.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back