Australia - Martin Place siege: 2 Hostages killed in Lindt Chocolate shop #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
ABC: The flag was earlier INCORRECTLY identified as a Islamic State flag. (just now)

I agree margeret. I'm not a mod either and I can't tell anyone what to do. WS generally is pretty generous as to what information it allows once it's been released in the MSM.

However, when the police are asking specifically not to have that information out there we have to assume it's for a good reason. If it was one of our relatives in there we would not want anyone doing anything, even inadvertently, that made it even the slightest bit harder for the police to focus on the task at hand.

I can think of a couple reasons why that might be so. If this terrorist is monitoring the media, as seems to be the case, and one name gets out and starts being displayed everywhere and talked about, and pray for so-and-so FB pages going up, etc. that person may seem like a more valuable target to the terrorist. What if, upon learning the identity of one of the hostages it turns out that she works for the TV station or that he is some big shot banker with lots of money and connections? A guy who is making small time demands could suddenly up the ante.

Beyond that, don't know how it is in Oz, but here, once that name gets out, there will be fifty reporters in front of that person's house and fifty in front of their mother's house, etc, and that could force the police to put resources in those areas for security and traffic control, etc. who even if they are not SWAT or special operations officers might be put to better use elsewhere.

So I suggest, and it's obviously just a suggestion, that we kind of self-censor ourselves regarding any information the police have specifically requested not be publicized.

Give it a rest will you - The name was released in MSM - I doubt us mentioning it here is going to make a huge difference to the media outside her door when they already know her name. I do have ss's of the demands and other hostage names - but I will not post them even though you think we are inadvertently making it harder for the police etc etc. Even though Australia is thought of as being backwards to some, we do have ethics.

I love it how this dude is "known to Police" and his "whereabouts have been known for some time" but the bleeding hearts are saying it's not a terrorist act. Righto!!

WHAT "bleeding hearts" are saying this exactly, madameh?

What I am seeing is Muslim leaders saying they do not support this action. And I am seeing Muslim scholars saying that this does NOT look like anything directly organised by IS.

I have not seen anyone being a "bleeding heart" :|

I hope you don't mean people who sympathise with non-extremist Muslims. Cause that'd be me.

I DO NOT mean that, Ausgirl.
The bleeding hearts i was referring to are those ppl earlier who intimated that this was a "mental health issue" and not an act of terrorism.

Give it a rest will you - The name was released in MSM - I doubt us mentioning it here is going to make a huge difference to the media outside her door when they already know her name. I do have ss's of the demands and other hostage names - but I will not post them even though you think we are inadvertently making it harder for the police etc etc. Even though Australia is thought of as being backwards to some, we do have ethics.

WHOA. I'm not Australian but my aunt, uncle, and cousin actually spent a few wonderful years living and working in Port Melbourne. I've never had ANY reason to think that Australians are backwards or unethical.

This just doesn't happen in Australia though. I spend my share of time here on the scanner threads occasionally. Those are in the Parking Lot which is only accessible to members. Obviously, that forum tends to deal with events in progress. Several times the police have given a request just like that here in the states, not always for hostages, but recently there was a jailbreak and they didn't want officer positions and movements being put on the internet, even if we could hear them on the scanner. When there is a request like that we always comply, even though it's a members only room.

Channel7 gunman seen with pump action shotgun

Channel7 gunman speaking with negotiators

Channel7 gunman making claims on social media

Sounds like people are still stuck inside the building that the cafe is situated in. From earlier reports quite a few law offices there.

TEN Eyewitness News ‏@channeltennews 27s27 seconds ago

Andrew Scipione on #sydneysiege: "we understand one hostage did go to hospital for a pre-existing condition"

ABC: The flag was earlier INCORRECTLY identified as a Islamic State flag. (just now)

It's the same as the Saudi Arabian flag. A bit like the Union Jack or Eureka flag, or any religious symbol, being appropriated by radical groups.

225px-Flag_of_Saudi_Arabia.png

We'll put as many police as we need to into this operation because it is just that important to us ...

We will do nothing that will jeopardise them (the hostages) ....

Suffice to say we have contact with them ....

I want to praise Sydneysiders for what they have done today (clearing the area). For behaving that way, they have made our job easier ....

We are only at this stage dealing with one location. We had to make sure other locations have been deemed as safe, and they have ....

We encourage support from the public .. if you see something, say something ...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/abcnews24/

Nine News Australia ‏@9NewsAUS 41s42 seconds ago

NSW Police Force Commissioner Andrew Scipione says police are only concerned about #MartinPl location. #SydneySiege #9News

Anonymous ‏@TheAnonMovement 1m1 minute ago

Tomorrow the exclusion zone will stay in place in Sydney - if you work in the area please stay at home. #sydneysiege

B44thYwCUAERERF.jpg

WHOA. I'm not Australian but my aunt, uncle, and cousin actually spent a few wonderful years living and working in Port Melbourne. I've never had ANY reason to think that Australians are backwards or unethical.

This just doesn't happen in Australia though. I spend my share of time here on the scanner threads occasionally. Those are in the Parking Lot which is only accessible to members. Obviously, that forum tends to deal with events in progress. Several times the police have given a request just like that here in the states, not always for hostages, but recently there was a jailbreak and they didn't want officer positions and movements being put on the internet, even if we could hear them on the scanner. When there is a request like that we always comply, even though it's a members only room.

Best to do as Mods say, if it's getting heated just scroll by......that's what I intend to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oxfordlawyers