Australia - Martin Place siege: 2 Hostages killed in Lindt Chocolate shop #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have drowned myself in lavender oil and have finally stopped shaking.

My Christmas wish is that these people get out without any deaths.

Yes. I'm hoping he just wants to get his point across and then gives up. Were crossing everything right now.

From Prime Minister's Presser....

NSW police supported by gov agencies are there. Not sure if politically motivated, but indications that it could be. We have to appreciate that in a society such as ours that there are people who wish to do us harm, which is why we have agencies ready for this type of thing. The whole point of politically motivated violence is to scare people from being themselves. Urging Asutralians to go about their business as usual. If you have any suspicions call national security hotline. I can let you know that national security committee has been briefed and been in contact with Premier Baird and Andrew Schipione of NSW police and also the head of federal police. Unfolding situation and there will be updates by police. Normal business of gov will go on and shortly mid-year fiscal outlook will be released. Very disturbing incident and we understand the fears and our thoughts go out to the individuals caught up in this situation and our hearts go out to those people.

Leaving to nsw police to provide details, obviously in a situation like this all sorts of reports and claims are made, urging everyone to exercise caution in reporting and leaving details to nsw police.

sorry typos.

Reported that Hostage has called radio to advise police to move back

Reported that Hostage has called radio to advise police to move back

This'll seem crazy but that's really good news - he's talking to police! He's not shooting when he's talking. Any idea what hostage negotiators are like in Australia?

I can't believe that people are hanging around the police tape being sticky beaks!!!

Kristy Mayr @KristyMayr7 · 12 mins 12 minutes ago

"We don't yet know the motivation of the perpetrator" - PM Tony Abbott on Sydney siege.. #7News

Wonder if the Mail has got that right? I saw other tweets linking it to Shadadah or something? Can't find them now. :( Moving too fast.
From the same link...

"The flag displayed by hostages inside the Lindt cafe in the Martin Place siege belongs to the extremist group, Jabhat al Nusra, which is fighting the Assad government in Syria.

Called the Shahada flag, it differs from the black and white flag used by the group ISIS, which has carried out beheadings in Syria.

Also known as the Al-Nusra Front or Victory Front, Jabhat al-Nusra is a Syrian-based Sunni extremist group that adheres to the global jihadist ideology of Al-Qaeda, the group behind the 9/11 attacks in 2001 ."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...error-groups-ISIS-Al-Qaeda.html#ixzz3Lvc1TZaE

Sorry, they really truly think they'll win our hearts & minds? Or just kill us all? I'm so sick, tired, angry.

Please let this end peacefully, it's terrifying. Gone 2am here but I'm glued to sky news, no way will I be able to sleep

It looks like these people (if I can call them that) want to be seen and heard. Cafe across from news station and wanting (rumor) to talk to PM live on radio.
I am praying they don't take this into a "blaze of glory" situation.

This'll seem crazy but that's really good news - he's talking to police! He's not shooting when he's talking. Any idea what hostage negotiators are like in Australia?

Z - it was a hostage not the gunman.

It's been mention that there only a few well trained and experienced negotiators in the State.

Usually terrorists in situations like this will use the element of surprise in order to harm the largest amount of people possible. Since nothing has happened yet I'm allowing myself to be cautiously optimistic that nothing will.....

ABC screening phone interview of Lindt employee. Sounds very upset. Saw her friend holding up the flag and can't imagine what was going through her friends mind. Talking about her friends that she could see in the windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa