Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 March 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Police 'close' to cracking high profile missing persons case

While Detective Inspector Stamper would not be drawn on the specifics of the evidence found at the campsite, A Current Affair can exclusively reveal forensic testing suggests Mr Hill and Ms Clay never used the toilet they set-up, meaning they may have been ambushed soon after the final radio call.

This is the actual transcript of what DI Stamper had to say in his public appeal about the white cab ute. The verbal statement was posted 9 hours ago (but, of course, was distributed prior to the recent long weekend).

This long weekend, I expect a number of people will take advantage of the extra time off to head up to the High Country. So it is an opportunity for us to renew this appeal for information.

Again, I would stress that there is nothing linking that vehicle to Russell and Carol’s disappearance. So please do not be concerned about coming forward to assist.

The grief that these families have had to deal with over the past year, coupled with immense public speculation, is immensely difficult to comprehend.

We will not give up on the possibility that we can give those families the answers that they need, but we cannot do this without the public’s help.

It might seem like only a very small possibility that those in the white ute will have information about Russell and Carol’s disappearance, but we can’t afford to leave any stone unturned.

We cannot leave any what-ifs when it comes to an investigation like this.

We appreciate that it is not an especially uncommon vehicle, however if you or someone you know with a white dual cab ute was in Wonnangatta area around 20th March last year, then we need to hear from you.

We’ve had people from a number of states come forward to provide their details and tell us they were in the area around that time – which is generally appreciated and incredibly helpful.

I’ve been clear the whole time that it’s not just about catching people who shouldn’t have been there for any reason, we just need to account for you.

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Last edited:
Weird clue in missing Victorian campers mystery

One-year on from the mysterious disappearance of two campers in Victoria’s high country, there is one clue that detectives haven’t been able to rule out.

Police probing the disappearance of two campers in remote Victorian bushland are still yet to rule out if a sighting of an older person three days after they were last heard from was the missing pair.

Saturday marks the one-year anniversary of the mysterious disappearance of Russell Hill and Carol Clay while camping at Wonnangatta in the state’s high country.

And while missing persons detectives have made significant headway on the case over the past few months, they are still yet to determine if the pair were sighted three days after Mr Hill last spoke to a friend over radio.

Reading the Advertiser this morning. The official police statement says ... “Missing Persons squad can confirm we have used NSW Police cadaver dogs as part of the searches for missing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay in the Wonnangatta area”. Not that they are just bringing them in now.

Perhaps the cadaver dogs hit on Russell and Carol's campsite.

No Cookies | The Advertiser

Also noting that the dogs were brought in from NSW to search in the Victoria High Country in this case.

Here is a copy of the title and link to a non paywalled article, which reports the following:
Cadaver dogs brought in to search for missing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay
Police have revealed a new tactic they will employ to find missing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay, and it points to a tragic end.
Tragic twist in search for missing campers

This report states that the dogs are being used, not that they were used in the past. The SA Advertiser likely also means recently, not in 2020. Does anyone have any accessible links to articles in which police say they used dogs in March-April 2020? All I saw was people and horses and vehicles back in 2020?

Last edited:
I continue to wonder if they are still there in the Wonnangatta area and their bodies have simply been missed. It seems that the area was rollingly (my new word!) putrid with the carcasses of dead deer, which could have made it pretty difficult for searchers to distinguish the smell of a human body from that of a beheaded deer. Several reports of deer that had been shot and left all around the area. It is also possible that they were buried in a shallow grave and dead deer tossed nearby to divert searchers from noticing any odour?? I have wondered how RH and CC were comfortable camping with deer carcasses reported to be not far their camp site (discussed on 60 minutes investigation show).

Last edited:
My guess, during the initial search for this couple live find dogs were used. Recently, they have brought in HRD (cadaver) dogs to search specifically for human remains in their target search area.

What a weird story. You never know who or what you will run into in the backcountry. IMO

I will say that some people have very strong opinions on drone use in wilderness areas. I'm not sure if their use was prohibited or permitted in this particular area. They do, IMO, disturb wildlife and many people feel this way. Then you have someone who is enjoying the outdoors and hears/sees one and feels like their privacy is being invaded. Then if illegal activity is going on and a drone is seen, the operator is just viewing the beautiful scenery and not a threat at all, but gets into a bad situation with the wrong people. Just a thought with the drone mention in this case and of course not a reason to harm anyone. IMO

Has it ever been reported where each family thought there loved one was and for how long they would be gone?
There were reports that said RH's wife and friend thought he was camping alone and CC had just told people she was going away for a few days, but neither told anyone they would be going together. RH also appears to have not let his friend know CC was with him when he contacted him by radio. There are a lot of discussions back about this in older posts that might be interesting.

So what could have been the motivation/s of the person/s who murdered them?

To get the drone? Something else?

It was worth about $2,000 so was it sufficient motivation to murder two people?
What if they had formed friendships with locals up there ? Falling out? Disagreements over something..been there a few times , not as far as wonnangatta but surrounding townships and can say it's divided half the ppl are really nice and the other half seem to be ppl hiding out or running away from something, I found a very uncomfortable undercurrent that way & some of the townies look at each other like they have a secret or something. Probably my imagination... but I was glad too leave tbh

I'm going for the attackers were known to him or her or both. Someone knew they were going there and headed up there.

The white Ute at the long drop was seen there the day before. Was it waiting for them to pass, remember they stayed overnight elsewhere before arriving?

There's no mention if they had changed into sleeping gear or whether they had time to change at all.

I guess the only way this could be confirmed is if a family member could say what they had on or what was missing from their luggage.

I'm not seeing this as being a run-in with a stranger who came prepared for taking bodies, DNA destroying and a Drone. This looked pre planned and professional all over in 30 minutes.

A Current Affair can exclusively reveal forensic testing suggests Mr Hill and Ms Clay never used the toilet they set-up, meaning they may have been ambushed soon after the final radio call.
That's a new kind of forensic evidence, never seen that used before! Bt it is indeed significant, and a detail that a perp wouldn't think of to 'cover up'...

Here is a copy of the title and link to a non paywalled article, which reports the following:
Cadaver dogs brought in to search for missing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay
Police have revealed a new tactic they will employ to find missing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay, and it points to a tragic end.
Tragic twist in search for missing campers

This report states that the dogs are being used, not that they were used in the past. The SA Advertiser likely also means recently, not in 2020. Does anyone have any accessible links to articles in which police say they used dogs in March-April 2020? All I saw was people and horses and vehicles back in 2020?

Your linked article says the same quoted police statement as posted before (from the Advertiser) ...

“Missing Persons squad can confirm we have used NSW Police cadaver dogs as part of the searches for missing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay in the Wonnangatta area,” Victoria Police said in a statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500