Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in regard to what i said earlier about BS interrogation by police for 6 hours of which he had no obligation to accompany police to the PD for questioning as he was not under arrest for WT's disappearance.
It's the same for any other citizen who is not under arrest as well.
Nevertheless he obviously did go, according to your post (although no link), so seems the police were doing their job and doing a thorough investigation. Is that not what they’re supposed to do?

Nevertheless he obviously did go, according to your post (although no link), so seems the police were doing their job and doing a thorough investigation. Is that not what they’re supposed to do?
FYI, I did post you a link to where i got my info. from, that being the 4 Corners interview. It's all in there as to what i was talking about in my post.

But the police were still doing their job. Right?
I guess that remains to be seen with BS lawyer suing them for misfeasance and malicious prosecution etc.?
I certainly IMO don't think they did a proper investigation, there was a lot they didn't do that should of been done. Again IMO.

Probably posted before now..
Just noting in this article The police commissioner filed a confidential
affidavit opposing the media application to open the court.

Understandable really. I imagine that case information and the POI will be spoken of as Margaret Cunneen and Jubes make his defence.

I think the cops need to thoroughly analyse how they worked this case so it doesn't happen again. They were clearly overwhelmed. Neighbourhood canvasses should have happened when the search was on. The alibis of all POIs should have been checked promptly. I want to have faith in the police but I see tunnel vision happening in investigations all the time. I agree that there were a lot of things that pointed to BS, which is why he should have been ruled out as quickly as possible. If the police had the things that he voluntarily gave them, that should have been a fairly simple procedure at the time. They had his mobile phone so it should have been sent for forensic testing asap while they continued exploring other leads.

On the subject of memory, I have no idea what I did last Thursday. I have no idea where I sat and what I did at each assembly I attended. These aren't things I'd instantly remember. I'd be more skeptical of someone who could remember quickly and suddenly produce receipts etc as they might sound like they'd had to prepare an alibi. I can doubt myself under pressure, and the stress of knowing that I don't have a particularly good memory adds to my inability to remember.

I have no doubt that the police messed up with this case. I only hope that while they won't admit it publicly they'll be doing their best behind the scenes to make sure everything is done correctly in future. I fear that it's too late now to solve this case, but I hold out hope.

I'm sorry William didn't get the investigation he deserved, and pray that the truth is revealed sooner rather than later so that he can be returned to his loved ones.

IMHO.

I have no doubt that the police messed up with this case. I only hope that ..... they'll be doing their best behind the scenes to make sure everything is done correctly in future.

RSBM

Yes, I hope that in future cases where a child goes missing from a home that the home is immediately cordoned off and all vehicles leaving and entering (both ends of) the street are checked - and listed - at a checkpoint(s).

From what I have read, the sniffer dog didn't have much hope of finding a scent due to the amount of people who had tromped through the yard, and they will likely never know if William was removed from the area after the searches had started.

In some of the earlier videos of the day and day after WT went missing - I cringe at the amount of cars parked in the driveway & near to it, @ the FGMs. As we know, they thought little William was missing in the bush, but so much evidence was destroyed right then :( I think the police didn't get a good start, not realising he was likely stolen. @Karinna @BatWoman why so harsh on the police, given you weren't there, with them? For all we know, BS was polygraphed - but we don't know that do we? We have no idea of what police did & why they chose to do what they did & when etc

Everything is good in hindsight I guess.

We don't live in a perfect world where there are unlimited resources.

Initially there were limited cops on scene, probably not enough to set up road blocks everywhere straight away on arrival.

There immediate task would have been to find out what had happened & the current situation.

The perp would have been long gone by the time any road blocks could have been set up IMO.

The police have such a thankless job :(

Everything is good in hindsight I guess.

We don't live in a perfect world where there are unlimited resources.

Initially there were limited cops on scene, probably not enough to set up road blocks everywhere straight away on arrival.

There immediate task would have been to find out what had happened & the current situation.

The perp would have been long gone by the time any road blocks could have been set up IMO.

The police have such a thankless job :(

They really do have a thankless job, and a stressful one as well.

And they develop and tweak their procedures as time goes by and they observe any weaknesses in past and present operations. It is all a constant learning curve as perps get wiser and wiser in an effort to outsmart the police. imo

From Georgy's link (to an article published in August):

"Counsel assisting the inquest Gerard Craddock opposed the media and public gaining access [to hearings for certain witnesses], and cited a 1989 National Crime Authority case that had been heard in secret."
BBM
- "'Perplexing and unreasonable': Anger over secret hearings for Tyrrell inquest", News.com.au, 13 August 2019

Does anybody know which case Mr Craddock was referring to? What did he say about it?

From Georgy's link (to an article published in August):

"Counsel assisting the inquest Gerard Craddock opposed the media and public gaining access [to hearings for certain witnesses], and cited a 1989 National Crime Authority case that had been heard in secret."
BBM
- "'Perplexing and unreasonable': Anger over secret hearings for Tyrrell inquest", News.com.au, 13 August 2019

Does anybody know which case Mr Craddock was referring to? What did he say about it?

I think there are several witnesses in which the media and public are not allowed to view - with some to come?

@Cleaver Greene just wondering if you can say - under what kinds of circumstances can one apply for a closed court? Not family in this case, but say - others POIs, not related to the family?

@cleavergreene, BBM. I have read the judgement in the below case and I was wondering as there has been no arrest made in WT's case, can there be 'evidence' of any kind withheld during the coroner's inquest in event of a future arrest/trial? I understand that this judgement below is in response to legal argument, and having been a juror a few times I know that evidence is withheld from jurors, but how would this work with future trials? I hope my musings make sense.

[142] The Coroner had jurisdiction to proceed under the 2003 Act to investigate the suspected death of Ms Antonio. He diligently evaluated a large body of circumstantial evidence, including evidence which was not available to the juries at either of the applicant’s criminal trials. The Coroner applied the appropriate standard of proof, and appreciated that a high degree of satisfaction was required before certain adverse findings could be made.

http://archive.sclqld.org.au/qjudgment/2018/QSC18-075.pdf

Not unlike teaching :D

Not to take away from any of the great work that police do, and not implying students are criminals o_O

They really do have a thankless job, and a stressful one as well.

And they develop and tweak their procedures as time goes by and they observe any weaknesses in past and present operations. It is all a constant learning curve as perps get wiser and wiser in an effort to outsmart the police. imo

Not unlike teaching :D

Not to take away from any of the great work that police do, and not implying students are criminals o_O
Yes exactly. There are many high stress jobs and doctors, lawyers & EMT's are just a few. I once met an EMT who had a mental breakdown after he could no longer handle the job.
And agree, there are good police but there are also lazy and corrupt ones that give others a bad name. There are quite a few articles out there about corruption on the internet, and most people know it exists. It can also lead to wrongful convictions which destroys people's lives. So IMO it is vital that those types of things are addressed, and become a thing of the past, because anyone can fall victim to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sally43