GUILTY AZ - Colin Brough, 20, killed, 3 injured in NAU shooting, Flagstaff, 9 Oct 2015

I just saw the Texas shooting on local TV news site. Geez!

At least 1 dead in Texas Southern University shooting

School on lockdown until further notice

Published On: 49 m Updated 2 m

Texas Southern University is on lockdown Friday after a shooting that killed at least one person near a school dormitory, according to multiple news outlets.

Houston police confirmed to KPRC-TV that one of the victims had died and that a possible suspect was in custody...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...y-on-lockdown-after-2-shot-near-dorm/35749102

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...down-classes-canceled&p=12110207#post12110207

The Texas shooting was "near" the school. Not on campus, no mention of students/faculty being shot, very little info on the incident YET the article describes the university in detail. 80% of the article is about the University that was NOT involved!

Bad and misleading reporting.

Here's another article about the threat at a local high school this morning. Mentions the recent campus shooting (Oregon and Arizona).

Alleged threat made against Troy Athens High School students

By Aftab Borka, The Oakland Press

Posted: 10/09/15, 8:59 AM EDT | Updated: 33 secs ago

Troy police are investigating alleged threat made against some students at the Athens High School.

According to a letter sent to the parents by the school district, authorities came to know about the threat last night.

“We were made aware that an Athens student had allegedly made threats against specific students at the high school,” the letter said...

The threat in Troy came as national media reported about a shooting at the Northern Arizona University that killed at least one person and injured three others.

The incident followed another deadly shooting in Oregon recently that killed at least nine people at a community college...

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/gene...made-against-troy-athens-high-school-students

Is it enough yet or do we accept this as the way of life in America?

We wring our hands, and hold vigils, and say platitudes.

It is pathetic.

All I can say is "killer" is not being used by LE or MSM, they're using "shooter", "suspect", so even THEY aren't jumping to conclusions until they finish their investigation.
The suspect is looking at charges for violating school policy at the least, anything beyond that will happen after the investigation is completed.

The authorities aren't calling him a killer because he is still alive and hasn't been convicted of a crime yet.

This article says the AZ shooter "retrieved" the gun, so if it was in his car or wherever it was probably legal. So he left, got a weapon and returned. Legal gun but it sure doesn't sound like a legal shooting.

Can't help but think underage drinking is going to play a big part in all of this.

Police Chief Greg Fowler described as a confrontation between "student groups" which resulted in Jones retrieving a gun and firing multiple shots that struck four people.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...rthern-arizona-university-flagstaff/73639496/

An 18-year-old freshman at Northern Arizona University accused of killing one student and injuring three others Friday faces felony charges of murder and aggravated assault.
NAU officials said Steven Jones will make his initial court appearance Friday afternoon and will be booked into jail on one felony count of first-degree murder and three felony counts of aggravated assault.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-no...gunman-faces-felony-charges-of-murder-assault

Jones and another group of students got into a fight overnight that turned physical and Jones pulled out a handgun and started firing, according to NAU Police Chief Gregory Fowler.
He stopped firing after officers arrived outside Mountain View Hall and was taken into custody.

mug_1444419319093_25027252_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Looks like Steven got hit in the face a few times. Not a valid reason to fire a weapon unless it was actually on his person and he feared for his life..........NAU is stating what the charges will be, NOT the Flagstaff County Prosecutor's Office, so there might be something different at the arraignment. FPD is just starting their investigation.
I really want to know what the argument/fight was about..........Frat related or ? Just going through Steven and the victims' FB pages. Maybe Twitter has a bit more.
So many questions.

Looks like Steven got hit in the face a few times. Not a valid reason to fire a weapon unless it was actually on his person and he feared for his life.......

Also not a valid reason because he was engaging/escalating the fight before he shot them.

Think about it, if someone wanted to commit a murder all they would have to do is provoke their victim into hitting them (using words or even violence) and as soon as the victim hit them *bang*. Justifiable homicide!

FYI I am not an expert on gun law however I read Andrew Branca's book and he IS an expert. It is a great read, not a bunch of dry legal mumbo jumbo but practical info presented in an easy to remember format.

IMO most every firearm owner should read it: http://lawofselfdefense.com/

$2M bond set for suspect in NAU deadly shooting

http://www.kpho.com/story/30224811/2m-bond-set-for-suspect-in-nau-deadly-shooting?autostart=true

A $2 million bond was set for the suspect in a deadly shooting at Northern Arizona University early Friday morning.The alleged gunman, Steven Jones, 18, who made an initial court appearance Friday afternoon, faces one count of first-degree murder and three counts of aggravated assault.

Prosecutors said Jones left the fight, retrieved a 40-caliber handgun, and opened fire from a distance, prosecutors said. There was no evidence of self-defense, they added.Jones was taken into custody without incident.

“We don’t know what caused the confrontation,” Fowler said.

Wow. This kid was 18 and had just started college 5 weeks ago and now his life is over. That must be a heck of a shock for him and his parents.

He fired from a distance? I think he was blind drunk.

Jones told investigators that several people approached him and two friends while they were outside a residence. A fight broke out between the two groups, and Jones said he was hit in the face.

According to the suspect, a group came out of the house and chased him. He ran to his car and retrieved a handgun. Two of the victims had stopped following him but turned around when he yelled that he had a gun. Jones said he shot them both but then tried to help one of them.

A friend of Jones said the first victim asked Jones why he brought a gun before the suspect shot him multiple times, police said. The second victim was shot after taking a step in Jones' direction, according to the witness. Both were standing no more than 10 feet away.

A group tried to subdue Jones, who fired a shot in the air. Jones said he then dropped his firearm, which had a flashlight attached to it.

http://mmc-news.com/news-fight-with...shooting-suspect-steven-jones-says-274855.dbv

Wow. This kid was 18 and had just started college 5 weeks ago and now his life is over. That must be a heck of a shock for him and his parents.

He fired from a distance? I think he was blind drunk.

Really sad.

If it hadn't happened on a campus, you wouldn't have heard about it. Tweets re-tweeted by KPHO5 in Phoenix:

Dennis Welch ✔ @dennis_welch

UPDATE: #NAUshooting suspect held on $2M bond. Allegedly retrieved gun from his car then fired .40 into crowd, according to prosecutor.
Retweeted by CBS 5 News

Dan Patrick ✔ @CBS5AZ_3TVDan

Allegedly left fight, got gun at another location, returned firing from distance. State claims no evidence of self defense. #NAUShooting

Jill Monier @jillmonier

Mother of one of the #NAUShooting victims says he did not know the shooter.
Retweeted by CBS 5 News

Jill Monier @jillmonier

Mother of #NAUShooting victim says her son heard shots, found his friend on the ground & was tending to him when he was shot in the neck
Retweeted by CBS 5 News

Derek Staahl @DerekStaahl

"Be thankful to be alive today." Students leave notes of encouragement to others after deadly #NAUShooting pic.twitter.com/wnS5ORAWYq
Retweeted by CBS 5 News

CQ6MIszUYAAyUt1.jpg

Someone else was also arrested/charged in connection with this shooting.

Can't find any info on who/why.

Also this kid was a pledge at a fraternity. The fraternity made a public statement saying they "canceled his pledge after his arrest". Really? Sheesh, as if people care what they do.

Straight out of Flag........

[h=1]Northern Arizona University shooting: Alleged gunman faces 1st degree murder, assault charges[/h]
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-northern-az/flagstaff/northern-arizona-university-shooting-alleged-gunman-faces-felony-charges-of-murder-assault

Jones briefly wept when the judge read the charges against him.A court document said Jones retrieved a gun from his car following a fistfight.

Jones told NAU police that several people approached him and two of his friends as they were outside a residence early Friday. He said a fight ensued and he was punched in the face.

Jones said he was chased by several people as he ran to his car and then he yelled at them that he had a gun.

As two people approached him, Jones says he shot both of them. Witnesses say the victims were about 10 feet away.

Jones told police that he used a flashlight affixed to the gun to illuminate the area before firing.

Witnesses say none of the victims appeared to be armed.

He stopped firing after officers arrived outside Mountain View Hall and was taken into custody.
Four students suffered gunshot wounds and were taken to the hospital. One student, Colin Brough , a freshmen and from Colorado, died.
The three others--identified as Nicholas Piring, Nicholas Prato, Kyle Zientek --remain hospitalized at Flagstaff Medical Center. Their conditions are currently unknown.
According to district records, Zientek also attended the same school as the alleged shooter, but graduated in 2013.

I want to know what the fight was about. There is a small racist/bigoted element up there on the campus (specifically a few frats and sororities) and I want to know why Jones felt the need to have a handgun on campus.

I want to know if Jones and his 2 friends were in front of a residence they lived in.

Did he feel he had to protect himself, or his 2 friends? Have they made statements?

Why did he have a flashlight fixed to his firearm? That's just strange. I have illuminators on several of mine, but I use those specific weapons for night time predators that get ON my property. What I carry all the time does not, regardless of the time of day or night.

Then you have the 21 foot rule (Tueller's Drill) where anything less than 21 feet puts you in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm. This is practiced across the board with LE around the Nation.

I have a feeling his attorney will go "self defense"; diminished capacity doesn't fly in Arizona, but knowing the courts in Coconino County, if his folks have money, there's going to be deal offered that only covers a fraction of what he would be convicted of if he was indigent.

Not making excuses for Jones or the men who punched him, would just like to see what a jury will be considering.
JMO. This shooting just doesn't rise to the mass school shootings that some want to pigeon hole it in.

Such a tragedy to everyone involved.

I want to know the whole story. Not just what the media wants to push.

Straight out of Flag........

[h=1]Northern Arizona University shooting: Alleged gunman faces 1st degree murder, assault charges[/h]
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-northern-az/flagstaff/northern-arizona-university-shooting-alleged-gunman-faces-felony-charges-of-murder-assault

I want to know what the fight was about. There is a small racist/bigoted element up there on the campus (specifically a few frats and sororities) and I want to know why Jones felt the need to have a handgun on campus.

I want to know if Jones and his 2 friends were in front of a residence they lived in.

Did he feel he had to protect himself, or his 2 friends? Have they made statements?

Why did he have a flashlight fixed to his firearm? That's just strange. I have illuminators on several of mine, but I use those specific weapons for night time predators that get ON my property. What I carry all the time does not, regardless of the time of day or night.

Then you have the 21 foot rule (Tueller's Drill) where anything less than 21 feet puts you in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm. This is practiced across the board with LE around the Nation.

I have a feeling his attorney will go "self defense"; diminished capacity doesn't fly in Arizona, but knowing the courts in Coconino County, if his folks have money, there's going to be deal offered that only covers a fraction of what he would be convicted of if he was indigent.

Not making excuses for Jones or the men who punched him, would just like to see what a jury will be considering.
JMO. This shooting just doesn't rise to the mass school shootings that some want to pigeon hole it in.

Such a tragedy to everyone involved.

Do you have more information about this? It's not really a stretch for me to believe it - I've read this about frats and sororities before but not about NAU specifically.

I think the flashlight is probably just a small tactical light.

And yeah his attorney will probably TRY to claim self defense (What else can they claim? Insanity?) but I don't think this kid has a prayer unless they cut a plea deal.

It only took a few hours to charge him with felony murder.

His goose is cooked.

I am totally with you on that point.
Between the Flag FOX15 (http://www.abc15.com/home) and Phoenix's KPHO5 (http://www.kpho.com/ we should be able to get a decent amount of legitimate info that's not for the shock factor, slanted, or ratings based. I believe the FOX station there is the only news outlet in Flag, the rest of the news comes out of Phoenix stations.
Fox in Phx is kinda sketchy.......

Me too. I would rather wait for the correct information than get rushed stories that are padded with speculation and irrelevant or incomplete bits and pieces.

Do you have more information about this? It's not really a stretch for me to believe it - I've read this about frats and sororities before but not about NAU specifically.

Just personal experiences dealing with those types while I've been up in Flag, both in the past and in the last few years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back