GUILTY AZ - Five people shot to death in Mesa home, 21 Feb 2006

Miller, 28, paid his $140 dinner tab and was driving off with his wife, Michelle, when they were surrounded by at least six unmarked Mesa police vehicles, and he was ordered to the ground.

I hope that Miller realy enjoyed his dinner cause I don't think that the food is gourmet where he is going to spending the rest of his days.

Not surprising, he was denied bail -- here is also a mention of previous charges in NY.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=60433

Link for full story -- but found interesting...

Other court documents released today, however, show that Miller was convicted in 1996 for felony grand larceny in Brighton, N.Y. And he remains a suspect in the Nov. 25 arson.

The documents also show that Mesa police believe Miller was under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of the five slayings at the Barrington Estates gated community in east Mesa.
He will be booked on suspicion of five counts of first-degree murder, one count of weapons violation and one count of burglary, police said.
What I found most odd -- during the investigation and especially w/ the searches of his residence -- his demeanor w/ the local news was similiar to what I saw of Scott Peterson... just an observation -- I will also post a video clip that show him yesterday w/ his wife in the car.

OH MY GOSH...I just had a really great, long post finished and I stupidly clicked the "X" in the upper right hand corner instead of "Post reply" DUH!!! OK, I will condense my original version.

As I've said before, these murders happened VERY close to me. Right down the street, less than half a mile away. So this really hit home with me.

I'm so glad that Miller was finally arrested. In the past few days, his demeanor, actions, and statements to the media have been getting progressively more arrogant. He even stated to a reporter something along the lines of "The more days that pass without someone getting arrested means that they might not arrest anyone for this crime at all, right?" That's not an exact quote...but that was the general jist of it. He reminded me of Scott Peterson as of late, with the media camping out in front of his house and him milling about outside, going in and out.

Regarding the arson, this guy actually KILLED HIS OWN DOG in this fire. He was so intent on getting a fat insurance check that he figured it would just add to the "believability factor" if the fire killed his own dog, so he did just that. As an animal lover myself, that is VERY telling as to the type of person he is on the inside. I mean, at his core. If he was willing to kill his poor dog to get insurance money, well, then he is completely devoid of any compassion at all. Zero. The man has a heart of stone. Shrinks and psychologists often say that murderers start out killing innocent animals.

Regarding the transcripts from the Nancy Grace show...I think that LE took his shoes to see if he was at the victims home. Here's why:

1. Nobody saw the murderer leave the home. Nobody was seen running or driving away.
2. Clearly, one of the female victims was heard screaming. It was loud enough to wake people up--that and the sound of the shots being fired.

Directly behind the home is a patch of desert, and behind the desert is a newly constructed freeway off-ramp. I think that he parked his car in the desert, directly behind the house. He put something up against the block wall to hoist himself up over the wall. Once he was in their backyard, he put something up against the wall again so that in his getaway, he could quickly get over the fence to his car. Not sure how he gained entry, but I would bet that it was through the sliding glass arcadia door. They're pretty poorly constructed--exclusive gated community or not--they're fairly easy to get into if you know what you're doing. Heck, maybe it wasn't even locked--or, maybe he had a glass cutter and he just cut a hole big enough for his finger to reach through and unlock the lock. To expedite his escape, I believe he left this door wide open during the crimes. That's why the screams and shots were so easily heard by many. He shot them---and I think he shot Tammy Lovell last, just like the transcripts say, because he was angriest with her. Then he fled through the open arcadia door, hopped the back wall, into his waiting vehicle, and drove away. From where the house, desert and freeway entrance is situated, once he was in his car he could've easily been on the freeway within 20 seconds of getting in his car.

Just my opinion of course! I hope they arrest the sicko who helped him soon and that these poor people get the justice they deserve!!! And, from what it seems, it really looks like the Scottsdale PD really dropped the ball as far as giving them some sort of protection, since the family informed the Scottsdale PD that they were afraid of this man.

OK, like this will sound dumb but...Miller was convicted in 1996 of Grand Larceny in NY. Since that time he has been associated with a fire in Nevada, a car fire,the fire in AZ, and one other which has slipped my mind. He had a really colorful history...how was he able to get away with all that for so long without getting caught? I mean an arsonist in the fire cleanup business...that in itself should have rung a few bells somewhere. He went from arsonist to murderer...he should have been in prison, not on the streets.

The other fire was in New York, I think. The reason he was able to stay away from the law, and anyone who knows differently please correct me if I am wrong, is because all of these other fires were deemed just that....accidental fires. None were classified as being arson. I heard on the news tonight that 2 of the fires were deemed to be caused by "faulty household appliances". Apparently, the one and only time he screwed it up enough to actually get caught was this latest incident at his home in Scottsdale. I think he actually thought he was smarter than the system since he was successful so many times before. The fact that the victim(s) had enough of a conscience to report the fire as arson and the motives behind it probably infuriated him to no end.

Another innocent victim is Miller's little 18 month old son. It's a damn shame that the poor child will now grow up fatherless. Well, let me restate that, because knowing what we now know about Miller, it's a GOOD thing that his influence won't be a constant in this boy's life as he grows up.

I hope the vision of his frightened victims haunts this SOB for the rest of his days. Unfortunately, though, he's not enough of a human being for that to be the case. I'm a firm believer in KARMA, and he will get his, for sure. If not before he dies, then certainly after.

You would think that someone would have caught on with the fires all happening to his homes and car. After a couple fires and insurance pay outs it seems that someone would have caught on...some investigator. Would he have gotten caught with the last fire if Tammy hadn't said something?

This Miller reminded me of Scott Peterson when he was walking out to his car and driving away. Like he didn't have a care in the world. Well, he has a few now. He's probably in shock because they caught him so fast. He has to be totally stupid not to think LE wouldn't put 2+2 together and figure out who murdered these people and why.

It is really a shame that this family wasn't protected. They must have been scared to death of this guy and what he was capable of doing. LE dropped the ball and 5 people are dead because of it. They should have been moved to a safe house until the trial was over. Another screwup on the part of the Pros, defense, and the judge in the arson case was letting this guy out on bail.

LE want people to come forward and tell what they know but it is a dangerous thing to do in some cases. As we can see, this family would have been better off not to say a word. I have an idea that down the road the city will end up paying dearly for dropping the ball.

Scottsdale police Sgt. Mark Clark said detectives who worked the arson case discussed with witnesses the possibility of violence, but no one asked for protection.

Clark said police will provide protection if there is imminent danger to a witness, but there is no protocol for evaluating threats other than on a case-by-case basis.

"It has to be a specific enough threat," Clark said. "And the person making it has to have the means to carry it out."

He declined to say whether any of the Mesa victims reported being threatened, and Scottsdale has refused to turn over police reports in the November arson, citing "serious public safety concerns." An attorney for the Tribune has challenged that decision under authority of the Arizona Public Records Law.

Mesa police detective Tim Gaffney said his agency learned about the family's fears only after the shootings.
<snip>
Police asked that Miller be jailed without bail because Lovell and Duffy feared for their safety and Miller was a flight risk, court documents state.
http://arizona.indymedia.org/news/2006/02/36916.php

It sounds to me like there were 2 agencies involved an one was aware of the threats and one wasn't. It appears that if anyone dropped the ball it is Scottsdale LE.

This morning Maricopa Sheriff has Miller's mugshot --

P154074_030000.jpg
P154074_130100.jpg

I am sure that Protecting a State witness is different from an order of protection -- but let me share w/ you. I live in Mesa, Arizona and 4-5 years ago my ex started stalking me (not just casually -- full out jumping into my car from bushes when I stopped at the stop sign on my street, waiting in the parking lot of my child's school) -- I feared for not only my safety but for the safety of my children (3 that I share w/ him - at the time twins under 1 yr. old and a 2 yr old) -- I got an order of protection, he violated the order 33 times! He was never arrested or the DA would not bring of charges on any saying that not enough evidence and it is hard to prosecute the case -- even though witnesses and he psysically assulted (w/ photographs) in one case.

I learned the lesson, and realized though all that police enforced "protection" is a joke -- most of the time he would show up, I called 911 and even if he ran of foot -- the police could not find him and gave me a report # -- towards the end -- they would just give me a report number over the phone if he had already ran.... seriously, a joke in Arizona -- I understand how this happened as I understand how many women are killed by stalkers in this state -- w/ orders of protection.

Not only does Miller act like Scott Peterson, he also resembles him. This guy is so arrogant. I wonder how his wife is taking this, if she thinks he is guilty. Why was she out of town for a couple of months? That's a long time to be away.

Autopsy report details carnage
"Neighbors of a slain east Mesa family had told about the screams and the multiple gunshots in the early hours of Feb. 21. An autopsy report released Tuesday revealed the carnage..."

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=64691

This is a perfect example of overkill...the shooter(s) was in a rage...

cathieq said:
Autopsy report details carnage
"Neighbors of a slain east Mesa family had told about the screams and the multiple gunshots in the early hours of Feb. 21. An autopsy report released Tuesday revealed the carnage..."

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=64691

This is a perfect example of overkill...the shooter(s) was in a rage...
Oh my! :(
The details are just sick, sick, sick.

I hope the b@stard rots in hell.

I wonder if he had help or if he did it by himself. Well, if he won't tell if someone helped him I guess he can take the rap all by himself. I'm sure it was his idea in the first place. I wonder if he will get the death penalty. Is there one in Ariz? I hope so. He murdered 5 people all because they turned him in for setting fire to his own home. You would think he would have been smart enough to know that LE would look at him right away because he had threatened Tammy and Stephan. Must have been the arrogance that got him caught. I can't even imagine going into someone's house and blowing 5 people away.

I wonder if his wife headed back to New York after the murders. She has to know about all of the fires he set. If she doesn't then she is dumb as a brick.
Sounds like maybe they were seperated for a few months. At least she got a good dinner out of him before he was picked up. Must have been some dinner at the tune of $140. Greed sure does get some people in trouble.

Wonder when his court stuff will start. I would like to follow this court case and trial. I want to see that he gets everything that he deserves.

He must of really thought he could out smart the cops to try getting away with 5 counts of murder......when right away he was a suspect. I hope he gets the death penalty!!!

He is sick!

Following is a quote from the East Valley Tribune:

Shot to death were Jacob Lovell, 10; sister Cassandra Lovell, 15; their mother, Tammy Lee Lovell, 32; Tammy's boyfriend Steven Terrence Duffy II, 30; and his brother, Shane Donovan Duffy, 18, who was also Cassandra's boyfriend.

This might explain their relationships to one another.

Please disregard my quotation. I did not read closely enough and I repeated the obvious. Sorry again, and I think you all are great!!!

lilsister said:
Please disregard my quotation. I did not read closely enough and I repeated the obvious. Sorry again, and I think you all are great!!!

Lilsister--No worries! I've done the same, myself. Welcome to Websleuths!:D

lilsister said:
Following is a quote from the East Valley Tribune:

Shot to death were Jacob Lovell, 10; sister Cassandra Lovell, 15; their mother, Tammy Lee Lovell, 32; Tammy's boyfriend Steven Terrence Duffy II, 30; and his brother, Shane Donovan Duffy, 18, who was also Cassandra's boyfriend.

This might explain their relationships to one another.
Not a problem lilsister....we've all done it at one time or other.
Welcome to WS keep on posting.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=66957

I don't understand why the children had to be killed -- well, not that anyone should have been -- but it seems so, w/ that motive, why kill the children they did no harm to him.... --- I guess to eliminate witnesses (sorry -- just ranting to myself) -- just sickening....

PHOENIX Court records show a man charged with gunning down five people in a Mesa house offered one of his employees 50-thousand dollars to kill victim Steven Duffy and four others.
The Arizona Republic reports an unidentified source told police that Miller offered 15-thousand to another employee named Jimmie for the same hit.
Another Article http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4983413&nav=HMO6

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayana2cool4school
Back