Found Deceased AZ - Najib "Jubi" Monsif, 20, with autism, wandering near home, Scottsdale, 23 Sep 2021 *Reward*

I live in the area and also work with people with autism. I don’t find it strange that if Jubi said “you’ll never see me again” to his brother it got ignored. He could have bern doing something called “scripting” which is where he heard something on a tv show or movie and just repeats it. The fact that the brother ignored they statement means to me that Jubi probably repeated non-sensical things frequently.

^RSSM

I want to clarify that the brother did not ignore it; he asked him what he meant but Jubi said to just forget it.

“[G] was telling Jubi goodnight and he said, ‘'I’m never going to see you again,’” [J] told Dateline. “He was like, 'What do you mean?' And Jubi said, 'Nothing, I’ll talk to you later.'”

Search continues for 20-year-old with autism missing nearly two weeks from Arizona home

It doesn't strike me as autistic scripting or echolalia to me. JMO.

Is it really suicide if they can't really understand the permanency, and they aren't doing it because they are depressed or miserable? I'm gonna guess that these accidentals include those that just jump into the water on an impulse. I mean, they are not classified as suicides

Article about victims that wander or bolt
  • Accidental drowning accounts for 71% of lethal outcomes, followed by traffic injuries at 18%
  • Remember: Search Water First!

Last edited:
Isn't accidental drowning also a "huge" problem (more common), though?

You make an excellent point.

IN MY OPINION it comes down to something we have been bickering about in this thread since the beginning - the question of how high functioning Jubi was.

Generalising:

IMO lower functioning correlates with higher accidental drowning rates

IMO high functioning correlates with higher suicide rates

Now I expect someone will swoop in and make a blanket statement that talking about functioning levels is wrong. I partially disagree with that opinion.

If he did enter the water on his own, would it be expected that he have a history of seeking out water?

That's a very good question...

In My Opinion / experience / knowledge;

I am not sure.
Because it can be a sensory stimulation / stimming behavior.
Which then means it can be something done for joy.
But also means it can be done for relief during times of distress.
Or both by the same person.

So hypothetically;
an autistic person - especially one who has been instructed to stay away from water unsupervised for their safety - might only do it when very distressed.
Which might not be very often if they are lucky.

So a tricky question I think.

I saw an article about a study about suicide, but it really sounded like it is high functioning autistics, common with Asperger's and mostly adults, that think about and/or commit suicide. They said Jubi was like 8 years old function, but him saying "you'll never see me again", reminds of my daughter threatening to run away when she was about that age, she wasn't planning any self harm, as she packed her Barbie suitcase. Of course, the autistic brain is not really working like an average 8-year old brain. Is there any actual video of Jubi, where you can see him talking and moving about? Statistically, if his "wandering or bolting" was to have a fatal outcome, water is the most likely place he would be found.
I put one link, but there are so many other articles.
66% of Adults with Asperger Syndrome Have Suicidal Thoughts

Last edited:
You make an excellent point.

IN MY OPINION it comes down to something we have been bickering about in this thread since the beginning - the question of how high functioning Jubi was.

Generalising:

IMO lower functioning correlates with higher accidental drowning rates

IMO high functioning correlates with higher suicide rates

Now I expect someone will swoop in and make a blanket statement that talking about functioning levels is wrong. I partially disagree with that opinion.

Functioning level matters very much, IMO. Anyone who functions as a child, drowning will be accidental. An adult who is high-functioning and battles depression is a different category, IMO.

Najib 'Jubi' Monsif: Cause of death 'undetermined' for man found in canal months after he went missing. "His remains were extremely decomposed. Skeletonized for the most part," said Detective John Heinzelman.
The medical examiner report, which was released on Feb. 7, the remains were positively identified as those of Monsif following DNA comparisons. The report also lists both the cause and manner of death as undetermined. but did suggest that a drowning may have happened.

"The finding of these remains submerged in a canal are suggestive of an accidental drowning death," read a portion of the report.

Najib 'Jubi' Monsif: Cause of death 'undetermined' for man found in canal months after he went missing
Sept. 23, 2021, missing
Dec. 14, 2021, remains found
Feb 7, 2022, ME report released

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members