Bloodstains on Darin's jeans

Status
Not open for further replies.
deandaniellws said:
Yes, we know that the state did NOT test the jeans.
Not that I don't believe you but how do we know this? Is it in a transcript?

Dani_T said:
Do we know that the state definitely didn't test the jeans? If it is just a matter of it not coming up at trial then I doubt we can say they didn't test them.

It has always been my understanding that they didn't test the jeans. I don't recall right now where I got that information, but I am assuming it came up at the trial. It seems like an obvious question for defense to ask, even if they didn't dwell on it (because they agreed not to pose Darin as an alternative suspect.) DDL seems more sure of it, so maybe you can ask her where she got it from.

Jeana (DP) said:
The time for presenting new evidence has passed.
Jeana, there is one appeal that allows for new evidence, isn't there? Is it a federal appeal? Or is that only within the one for actual innocence? (Meaning you can present new evidence but only as it applies to proving actual innocence, which is the burden for the appellant, not the state.)

Dani_T said:
Not that I don't believe you but how do we know this? Is it in a transcript?
If you will log on her website there is a copy of the papers where her attorney asked for the jeans to be tested. The judge didn't answer yes or no. He just simply ignored the request.

deandaniellws said:
If you will log on her website there is a copy of the papers where her attorney asked for the jeans to be tested. The judge didn't answer yes or no. He just simply ignored the request.
Hmmn...that almost sounds like they were tested, but nobody's talking.

Goody said:
Hmmn...that almost sounds like they were tested, but nobody's talking.
No, they weren't. I think Texas is generally ignoring her and the whole Darlie lover's group. I want them to test the jeans. It won't save her sorry butt, but it might put her loser husband in jail also. I am sorry, but I think he was in it up to his coke bottle glasses.

deandaniellws said:
No, they weren't. I think Texas is generally ignoring her and the whole Darlie lover's group. I want them to test the jeans. It won't save her sorry butt, but it might put her loser husband in jail also. I am sorry, but I think he was in it up to his coke bottle glasses.
I have mixed feelings about Darin. One way I look at him, I am convinced he is exactly as you say part of the whole thing. Other ways I look at him, I see him as involved in only the cover up (though I admit the more I learn about them, the less this makes sense). And still other ways I look at him, I think he might have just been in shock that night after stumbling onto the scene, totally innocent of any participation.

But I agree with you. I would love to see the jeans tested and the results made public.

If Darlie's defense honestly thought there was anything to be found on those jeans, don't you think they would have tested them long ago? Regardless of what her attorneys now say, there was opportunity, and plenty of it, for her team to have them tested. They didn't do this for the same reason they didn't make her polygraph test results and the regression therapy results known to the public - they prove she's a murderer.

Jeana (DP) said:
If Darlie's defense honestly thought there was anything to be found on those jeans, don't you think they would have tested them long ago? Regardless of what her attorneys now say, there was opportunity, and plenty of it, for her team to have them tested. They didn't do this for the same reason they didn't make her polygraph test results and the regression therapy results known to the public - they prove she's a murderer.
this is exactly the way i look at it-- it wouldnt have been a matter of if someone wanted them tested or not- if the investigation had any reason to believe there was something suspicious at the time of the murders, they would have tested them at that point-

I have mixed feelings about Darin. One way I look at him, I am convinced he is exactly as you say part of the whole thing. Other ways I look at him, I see him as involved in only the cover up (though I admit the more I learn about them, the less this makes sense). And still other ways I look at him, I think he might have just been in shock that night after stumbling onto the scene, totally innocent of any participation.
As much as I don't find Darin particularly likeable, I still only see him as being involved in the cover-up. I think Darin loved the boys and did nothing to harm them that night. I think he stumbled on a scene straight out of a B-horror movie and probably on some strange level felt responsible (the fight earlier that evening; the talks of divorce?) and did try to cover it up. But I do not believe he ever used a knife against one of his boys. I also don't think he did the cuts on Darlie's throat. He may have had something to do with her hospital bruises but that's about all I think he helped with in the way of injuries. Obviously, we may never know the truth.

HeartofTexas said:
As much as I don't find Darin particularly likeable, I still only see him as being involved in the cover-up. I think Darin loved the boys and did nothing to harm them that night. I think he stumbled on a scene straight out of a B-horror movie and probably on some strange level felt responsible (the fight earlier that evening; the talks of divorce?) and did try to cover it up. But I do not believe he ever used a knife against one of his boys. I also don't think he did the cuts on Darlie's throat. He may have had something to do with her hospital bruises but that's about all I think he helped with in the way of injuries. Obviously, we may never know the truth.

That is exactly how I feel about Darin too.

Question - are they still married? Does he visit her? I haven't followed this case much for a while - don't know these details.

Jules said:
That is exactly how I feel about Darin too.

Question - are they still married? Does he visit her? I haven't followed this case much for a while - don't know these details.

Yes they are and yes he does. He brings Drake to see her.

HeartofTexas said:

If I were only considering the "Silly String" video and my first reaction to it, I would have said I don't think he had anything to do with any of it. To me, he looked like someone punched him in the gut during that video. I thought, compared to Darlie anyway, that he looked "appropriate" for the situation. After hearing all I've heard about the case after seeing that video, I think anything short of him actually murdering one of the boys is possible.

I think anything short of him actually murdering one of the boys is possible.
Jeana, so you and I are basically saying the same thing but you think he may also have done the cuts to Darlie's neck? Did I interpret that correctly?

HeartofTexas said:
Jeana, so you and I are basically saying the same thing but you think he may also have done the cuts to Darlie's neck? Did I interpret that correctly?

I don't think that he did have anything to do with the cuts on her neck. I think that was all Darlie. I'm not sure about the bruises. I think that she wanted to try and solidify her "act" later by creating the bruises. Whether he had anything to do with that, I'm not sure.

deandaniellws said:

That doesn't mean that the state did not test the jeans back in 1996. It means that the defense didn't test them back then and now want to.

I just really don't think testing the jeans for who's blood would make a bit of a difference without the 'splatter' evidence behind it to back up the claim. Even if his jeans contained all 3, if the blood is just smeared it can be explained away.

Desilu said:
I just really don't think testing the jeans for who's blood would make a bit of a difference without the 'splatter' evidence behind it to back up the claim. Even if his jeans contained all 3, if the blood is just smeared it can be explained away.

You're exactly right. It also wouldn't prove that it was Darin alone instead of the two of them together. So, even if the defense did test, the best they might have been able to do was make sure there were two family members on trial for capital murder.

Dani_T said:
That doesn't mean that the state did not test the jeans back in 1996. It means that the defense didn't test them back then and now want to.

I agree, Dani. Not a word about the jeans - except that they were collected - was mentioned during the trial by either side...my guess is that the prosecution & defense concluded that they had no evidentiary value. In fact, both sides could have tested the jeans...we don't really know, because they weren't admitted into evidence.

As far as what it says on Darlie's website, well, I'm very skeptical ;) John Rolater told the Dallas Morning News (8/04) that "in September 2002, the district attorney's office offered to have evidence tested by an agreed-upon expert, but the defense did not accept the offer...in October 2002, the court granted an order giving the defense access to evidence, but the defense never followed up on the order." Stephen Cooper called the prosecution claims "an absolute lie."

It all depends on which side you believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname