Book released by Defense Attorney, Nov 2015 #2

According to GigiG -who posted this on the Sidebar: (post 82- Sidebar # 57)

"She is all over twitter on #jodiarias with the handle "JessicaFletcher@sleuthnow," and most there are really tired of her shtick. She just refuses to go away. She recently began attacking William Pitts (a journalist for the Phoenix area NBC affiliate), who covered the JA trial. She is calling him biased. Here is a snippet:

"William Pitts ‏@william_pitts Nov 27
William Pitts Retweeted Jessica Fletcher
If you're going to accuse me of bias, you better provide specific examples. Otherwise it's just slander.

William Pitts ‏@william_pitts Nov 27
So telling you you're wrong means I'm biased? Yeah ok. @SleuthNow also, rules of professional conduct, 2.1 "

Apparently, she'd a disbarred attorney with verifiable mental problems."
----------------------------------------------------------------

And I found this:

Jessica Fletcher ‏@SleuthNow Nov 27
I'm relatively new to #jodiarias case. Did ANY local AZ reporters actually cover the case? Most seem to be "social media journalists."

I started following Pitts during the retrial and never unfollowed him, so I saw this BS with sleuthnow. Her tweets were very much of the hit-and-run variety: "Travis's roommate knew something that would have freed Jodi, why didn't he testify?" And that's it. Never says what the roommate knew, never says how sleuthnow knew about it, nothing. Pretty much a waste of time.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Oh for crying out loud!! Nurmi's "book" is a vehicle for personal attack on Juan Martinez. This is just so immature on Nurmi's part. There is absolutely no need at this time to try to rehabilitate the defense witnesses. WTH is Nurmi thinking??!!! I can see why he would have a case of sour grapes but he is not going to win friends and influence people by pointing fingers and whining like that.

My grandma was right on when she said it takes all kinds to make a world. Good grief!

(Thank you, YESorNO for your synopses! I deleted the quoted material to save space but your work is much appreciated!)

Trapped with Ms. Arias

Section 4

Preparing for the Mitigation

this phase most imp because could be difference between life /death sentence

jury learns more about defendant- things not heard before

murderer's case not typical, but still had mit.- "likely to come into evidence in a different way"

in Chapter 25: what mit phase involves

in Chapter 26: mit investigation by prior counsel

in Chapter 27: what L did to find mit

in Chapter 28: what State did to "counteract" the murder's "case for life"
==========================================

Chapter 25

What is the Point of the Sentencing Phase and Mitigation?

"...if we are going to impose the death penalty system as a punishment we must allow juries to know who they are sentencing" (pg. 143)

L talks about time when DP was Illegal- when became legal, jury, not judge must determine sentence to be legal who must consider everything about the person and circumstances

DP sentence can get overturned if atty doesn't present everything he/she can find and must have good reason why they didn't present info- "...'I did not believe it' is not a sufficient reason"

L gives hypothetical story about "Jim" and preparing for sentencing phase - must tell complete story of "Jim's" life "from conception to the day he was sentenced"

"...law dictates that jurors must not only hear the evidence but give it meaningful consideration"

L gives background history of this hypothetical "Jim"

"in Ms. Arias' situation her entire realtionship with Mr. Alexander was of the sort that it could lead to a finding that Ms. Arias was guilty of a lesser included offense (such as second degree murder and manslaughter) which is why,....that much of Ms. Arias' mitigation came out in the guilt phase of her trial" (pg. 146)
================================================== ===

Chapter 26

The Mitigation Investigation by Prior Counsel

the murderer's previous atty collected info- had it documented as "memoradums that were writen by Gwen, the woman who, at the time, was working as"..the murderer's Mit Spec

according to L- interviews taken weren't good- didn't "paint a good picture of Ms. Arias, in fact, far from it...interviewees...most..either ..friends or family, presumably people who loved her, did not say nice things about her"

-claims that she abused animals as child; described as a "weird child" who was violent with her mother; from school/work- described as "highly sexual and acted as if she was 'in heat', to others she was quiet and professional a and talented student and/or a quiet" (pg. 148)

L talks about the murderer being sexually abused as child again- "...these victims turned offenders 'learn' at a far too young of an age that their value to the world is their sexuality.. they are oversexualized...as related to Ms. Arias, it seemed ...from reading ...interviews that Ms. Arias was an otherwise quiet and reserved person, but at the same time....would assert her sexuality when she wanted to be liked" (pg. 148)

L claims that memos could have remained confidential- atty/client confidentiality- he would have kept them confidential "way too many harmful statements"- not "wise move" [to disclose to State]

memos were disclose to State already by time L received case before Aug 2009- was his job to "deal with it"
================================================== ==========

Next:

Chapter 27
My Mitigation Investigation

Chapter 28
The State's Sentencing Phase Witness

End of section 4 (pg. 166)
================================================== =====

Here's a coo-coo for you: :crazy:

The Defense Attorney (Kirk Nurmi)
My Take On L. Kirk Nurmi’s Book …

"Before I begin this blog, there is one thing I want to make clear: I do not know Jodi Arias, I’ve never met her, I’ve never written to her. I simply want to set the record straight.

I only know from what I have found out, that Jodi wasn’t at the scene when Travis Alexander was murdered, and she didn’t kill anyone, most certainly she did not murder Travis Alexander. She has been the victim of a false prosecution and she should not be in prison..." :silly:

https://trialbypictures.wordpress.com/category/the-defense-attorney-kirk-nurmi/

are we sure this isn't a troll page to make jodi supporters look even more idiotic? i honestly think it is, i mean did you get to the part of the pictures in the shower? lol. "THIS IS A MAN IN A BEARD STANDING IN A YELLOW SHOWER!!! NOW THIS IS TRAVIS IN A WHITE SHOWER BUT MUCH YOUNGER!" we all know it's lighting and shadows and they MUST know that too, and therefore are being silly with the evidence.

like they are satirizing a beyond ridiculous theory.

i was just at that pitts guy's twitter and saw this ....

William Pitts ‏@william_pitts [video=twitter;671785176616275969]https://twitter.com/william_pitts/status/671785176616275969[/video]
BREAKING: Publisher disputes @DailyMail claim #JodiAiras juror in love w/Arias. "Much of the material they reported on isn’t in the book"
9 retweets18 likes

According to GigiG -who posted this on the Sidebar: (post 82- Sidebar # 57)

"She is all over twitter on #jodiarias with the handle "JessicaFletcher@sleuthnow," and most there are really tired of her shtick. She just refuses to go away. She recently began attacking William Pitts (a journalist for the Phoenix area NBC affiliate), who covered the JA trial. She is calling him biased. Here is a snippet:

"William Pitts ‏@william_pitts Nov 27
William Pitts Retweeted Jessica Fletcher
If you're going to accuse me of bias, you better provide specific examples. Otherwise it's just slander.

William Pitts ‏@william_pitts Nov 27
So telling you you're wrong means I'm biased? Yeah ok. @SleuthNow also, rules of professional conduct, 2.1 "

Apparently, she'd a disbarred attorney with verifiable mental problems."
----------------------------------------------------------------

And I found this:

Jessica Fletcher ‏@SleuthNow Nov 27
I'm relatively new to #jodiarias case. Did ANY local AZ reporters actually cover the case? Most seem to be "social media journalists."

Thank you. She sounds hinky by saying she is "relatively new" I'll see what I can find.

i was just at that pitts guy's twitter and saw this ....

William Pitts ‏@william_pitts [video=twitter;671785176616275969]https://twitter.com/william_pitts/status/671785176616275969[/video]
BREAKING: Publisher disputes @DailyMail claim #JodiAiras juror in love w/Arias. "Much of the material they reported on isn’t in the book"
9 retweets18 likes

Weird. Start to finish weird, weird, weird, the whole CMJA saga, this just one more weird twist.

Trapped with Ms. Arias

Chapter 27

My Mitigation Investigation

L thought only 1 Mit witness could speak on her behalf "who could truly offer help...her ex-boyfriend Darryl" because she "truly had so little support in her life before this crime was committed"

L chose no mit witnesses during sentencing phase at 1st trial "I did not have enough good cards left to play by the end of the guilt phase of the trial"- claims media partially to blame

"pretrial events, I certainly cannot blame the media for the fact that I did not even have one family member whom I could count on to help Ms. Arias make her case for life"

L's 1st meeting with the murderer's mother Sandy. father Bill, brother Joey, sister Angela

- "took in aura of house...I like to get a sense of what the [client's] experience was like for them..my attempt to walk a mile in my client's shoes , their mental 'shoes' .. "

-L thought it was small for 5 people, had "old-looking furniture", messy- just observation, not "condemnation"

- L "sensed a feeling of coldness...sense of despair"; coldness like a newly built home that no one lived in; despair- like being in an abandoned home "...whose life blood had left"; didn't feel like a "true home" to L

-L claims "no took the time to clean any portion of the house": seemed like a bother to murder's family that L and team were there- "messed up their daily routine", L sensed their actions/attitudes

- L wanted to talk to Angela (16 yrs old) 1st alone- he thought she might be closest to murderer- spoke to her in the yard; she spoke in voice "almost childlike"

- expected her to be heartbroken over sister's situation, to ask several questions about what was happening, her to cry, "begging me to do everything I could to help her sister"

"Instead, what I got was a girl who seemed emotionally disconnected to the entire situation...perhaps this was another sign ...victimization but it seemed like more..."

-Angela just came out on Twitter to "proudly pronounce her sobriety, perhaps she was high......no sign she was concerned for her sister"- L found that "strange" (her attitude and convo)

L spoke to father Bill- no concern for daughter- father talked about "blame others for" TA's death- "none of his [Bill's] theories made sense"

Sandy acted like this was all "a bother by the whole visit...irritated because...she had to take a few hours off work to come home to speak with us" (pg. 153)

"How sad was it for Ms. Arias that she had a family, her parents in particular, that seemingly did not care about her enough to help her legal team do her job"

L and team went out to storage shed, with family dog "Jewel"- lab mix (only member of family interested) - Bill stayed inside- L talks about Jewel, a neglected dog after he grew from puppy? "...perhaps Biil and Sandy took the same approach to parenting their children, meaning they got bored of their kids after they got older"

L was looking in shed "for nothing in particular"- family put the murderer's stuff in shed- family "seemed done with her...as if they 'erased' their eldest daughter from their house"

eldest brother didn't make it to meeting- youngest brother, "Joey ...was of no importance to the case"

L visited murderer's grandparents (Caroline, Sunny)

-Caroline "genuinely kind woman. Her house was a home..clean..furniture... old it was well-kept"

-Sunny- "a bit odd, but he was elderly (as was Caroline)"- Talked about theft gun, day murderer was arrested, about their grand-daughter (a lot about her)

"To their credit...seemed more concerned about Ms. Arias than her parents were"

L spent time talking to them and answering their questions/concerns

"They were clearly warm and caring people however it was just as clear to me that their testimony would be clouded by their age and by their clear desire to help Ms. Arias...they wanted to help in a way that Ms. Arias wanted to help...clearly following her wishes." (pg. 155)

the muderer called when L was speaking to grandparents- wanted to talk to them and then L- "coincidence?...no coincidence...she wanted to control the conversation" L was having with grandparents- also to make sure L spent time with cat Luna-"pet her cat"

important to L - see the murderer's room in person- last place she lived in before leaving for trip to Mesa, slept in before arrest

-had a twin bed, painted pink, had a "dream board" on wall- to L, seems grandparents were "not quick to erase my client from their lives as her parents were"

-room seemed to L "too juvenile to be the room of a 30 year old" maybe color of room? "dream board"?- filled with things/experiences "that one has to actually work to earn...delusional dreams" from someone "who could not even afford to rent her own place"

-L felt murderer was still holding on her pipe-dreams (even tho' she murdered TA)

_ L talks more about room where the murderer might have done this/ that (phone sex, chats, etc) "this might have been the exact spot that Ms. Arias planned to kill" TA- " planning a murder, truly chilling"

L felt that jury would see that no one, parents, sister, "supposed friends", grandparents would say only what murderer wanted them to say- no one cared for murderer, that she was facing execution

L felt that putting family on stand- big risk ( parents had given interviews with Det F) would probably "do more harm than good"

L worried what he was going to say to the murderer about "seeing very little chance that her family would be of much help"- she didn't seem surprise family would be no help

L claims murderer was "seriously upset that I had not pet her cat, Luna" - thought that was "strange"- he "suppressed my inclination to tell her it was not my job to pet her cat"

"Finally, Ms. Arias, if you are reading this please be advised that I do not care about your cat" (pg. 158)
================================================

Chapter 28

The State's Sentencing Phase Witness

L felt State had little to offer in this phase (no criminal record, fairly well- behaved in jail)

"State's case for death would....be the crime itself"

2 experts listed on State's witness list: Dr. Jill Hayes, Dr. Janeen DeMarte

State's choice of expert- DR. Demarte- to examine murderer didn't make sense to L- thought DR. Hayes better choice- more experience, university prof who had experience testifying in court

L talks about Dr. DeMarte:

-had very little experience, not impressed with web page, not very accomplished- unpublished in academic journals, no true experience in DV

-only experience she had- doing evaluations for county- whether or not person is competent to stand trial and acting as counselor for clients

-L thought her experience/ background, she would not have "ability to competently assess" the murderer , Dr. "over her head"

-L talks about Dr D's report: thought JM's goal "did not seem to be to conduct an intellectually objective assessment" of the murderer

-L thought that goal of Dr. D- create diagnosis that fit "with the State's theory of the case and could be sold to the jury"; when she found diagnosis, "her plan was to work backwards and search for and/or bend facts that would support the desired diagnosis" (pg. 160)

-L claims Dr. D "focused on traits that showed certain traits and then exaggerated their diagnostic value so as to create her so called diagnosis"- way to attack the murderer, convince jury "even thought the science behind her indicated that she was wrong"

-L thought she had this plan before she wrote her report/before meeting the murderer (only his opinion)

-L claims Dr. D was willing to "misuse" a test "designed to assess domestic violence to draw her conclusions that no domestic violence existed" in TA's/the murderer's relationship (this test not brought into trial)

-L claims that Dr. D "mold a test that was suppose to be given to supposed domestic violence offenders (in this case that would mean Mr. Alexander)"- gave it to TA's brother

"Yes the same brother that thought that Mr. Alexander died a 30 year old virgin was her source"

-L claims that Dr. D wouldn't acknowledge that the murderer had "symptoms of trauma", that TA's words " '*advertiser censored*,*advertiser censored*,three-whole wonder, corrupted carcass' " were "abusive"

-L contemplates if defendant's words were reversed- would she say those words were "evidence of abusive tendencies" ?

-L talks again about Dr. D had a "preconceived plan"

-L will now "translate Dr. DeMarte's report in layman's terms"

-L's views are "as follows":

"One key point of her 'diagnosis' seemed to be that Ms. Arias was a liar and therefore everyhting she said was a lie. The exception to this rule were those things that helped Dr. DeMarte support her 'diagnois,' statements of this nature were true. Dr. DeMarte's 'diagnois' went on to assert that Ms. Arias was a *advertiser censored* who jumped from man to man. Dr. DeMarte also asserted that Ms. Arias always had to have a boyfriend and that once she had a boyfriend she would alter her identity to conform to the wants of that boyfriend. In Dr. DeMarte's mind all of this proved that Ms. Arias had borderline Personality Disorder." (pg. 162)

-according to L. the testing did not support diagnosis

-L claims that the murderer's behaviors were dismissed by Dr. D- the murderer may have low self-esteem, victim of childhood trauma

"It seemed to me that Dr. DeMarte was of the mindset that Ms. Arias was simply a *advertiser censored* who happened to have" BPD- "not very scientific....not supported by any evidence....seemed downright sexist"

-L claims he did not like the murderer at the time/could care less about her image; didn't like that Dr.D "*advertiser censored*-shamed " her- thought Dr Hayes was not used "because she was not willing to use such tactics"

-L didn't meet DR. D in person "shortly before trial"- Wilmott and L met her at her office for interview- L "listening to her answers...read her body language...observe her demeanor" while Wilmott spoke to her- conclude that she had "a very cold deposition...cold for a therapist..arrogant disposition...of the mindset that nothing she did should ever be questioned, by anyone, let alone Jennifer Wilmott" (pg. 163)

-L claims DR. D "seemed to despise jennifer both on a personal level and because Jennifer was questioning her conclusions... what was Dr. DeMarte trying to prove?" - his theory: she was not an arrogant person- acting arrogant because she was insecure about her opinions and justifying them "It was as if DR. DeMarte knew that the facts were not on her side....her 'diagnosis' was , at best, on shaky ground....perhaps" ...she "was getting the sense, for the first time, that we knew this as well"

- L "guesses" Dr D.'s " 'diagnosis' nor the supposed support behind her conclusions, have ever been challenged"- claims DR. D was "surprised"

-biggest problem: no indication that the murderer had personality disorder in childhood (required for diagnosis of BPD, he claims); her facts "not accurate"- the mudererer did not "jump from boyfriend to boyfriend...several months of time passed between her breakup with Matt and the beginning of her relationship with Darryl"

- L gives some eg to explain the murderer altered her personality for boyfriends

-L claims some of DR. D's conclusions were correct: the murderer idealized people and them demean them when they pulled away- she was extremely moody (L had experiences with her moods)- murderer acted like teenager (L says "really smart 5 year old...had very little true empathy")

-L claims that DR. D's did great job describing "the Ms. Arias I knew" but description was "not a true psychological description"

- L wonders if State concerned about what Dr's diagnosis would say about TA

- L wants us to "think about it"- "If "..the murderer.."adapts herself to the men in her life, what did that say about Mr. Alexander? If she acted like a '*advertiser censored*' ... '*advertiser censored*' ..'3 whole wonder' the logic of Dr. DeMarte's diagnosis would be that she brcame those things for" TA.."Her diagnosis would have to account for the fact that Mr. Alexander wanted her to be these things....biggest flaw in Dr. D's report/conclusions...raised question "would jury kill the woman who killed her former boyfriend, the former boyfriend that was stll using her for sex?" (pg. 168)

End of Section 4 (pg. 168)
=============================================

Next:

Section 5
Quit

Chapter 29
Want Out

Chapter 30
Spoiler Alert I Did Not Get Out

end of Section 5 (pg. 178)

Wow! What an ego ole nurms has. I'm almost embarrassed for him showing his rear end where his big head is firmly planted. Did ya all see the yellow beret he was sporting, not to mention the big statement chain around that neck. It really has been entertaining watching him desperately seek attention. He must drive himself crazy with his jealousy of Juan Martinez. It seeps from his pores. He is proving to be exactly what we thought he was. Should of stayed quiet nurms.

A big thank you to YESorNO!

I wish Nurmi would grasp the concept that even if Jodi exhibits some behavior that COULD indicate she'd been the victim of sexual abuse, it is not an indication that she WAS a victim of sexual abuse. Did he not try and find any evidence of it himself (it certainly wasn't Juan's job)? Or did Nurmi not bother because he knew he wouldn't find any?

I wish Nurmi would grasp the concept that even if Jodi exhibits some behavior that COULD indicate she'd been the victim of sexual abuse, it is not an indication that she WAS a victim of sexual abuse. Did he not try and find any evidence of it himself (it certainly wasn't Juan's job)? Or did Nurmi not bother because he knew he wouldn't find any?

I thought it was the whole point of mitigation. The stories in the family should have been at least pursued with cousins, aunts and uncles, old neighbors and school records might have shed some clues- especially the alleged incident at age 7.

Listened today to DeMarte being asked about sexual abuse in the killer's childhood. The killer told every single psych expert (at least up to DM) who interviewed her that there wasn't any such abuse.

Why Nurmi insists on that now is beyond me.

It's interesting that Nurmi complains about the criticism of Dr Samuels because he was such a warm, kind man, and then doesn't like Dr DeMarte because she is "cold."

Can somebody explain to me what difference it makes whether an expert witness has a warm or cold demeanor?!

It's interesting that Nurmi complains about the criticism of Dr Samuels because he was such a warm, kind man, and then doesn't like Dr DeMarte because she is "cold."

Can somebody explain to me what difference it makes whether an expert witness has a warm or cold demeanor?!

warm person - a shill who says what i want to hear
cold person - a professional with an unbiased opinion

warm person - a shill who says what i want to hear
cold person - a professional with an unbiased opinion

Lol, thank you, Misty. I couldn't figure it out. Duh.

Lol, thank you, Misty. I couldn't figure it out. Duh.

that's just my opinion, who knows what's going on in the head of nurmi!~ lol.

that's just my opinion, who knows what's going on in the head of nurmi!~ lol.

Well, I think your explanation is as good as any. And is probably totally accurate. :)

I'll try.

Dr Samuels=Nurmi's witness= warm
Dr Demarte=Juan's witness= cold

There! LOL

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads