Bosma Murder Trial 03.03.16 - Day 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banks says some "child-like" documents were found in a backpack that was found in the trailer where Bosma's truck was found. He didn't elaborate as to what that meant.
by Adam Carter 10:49 AM

What do you think this means?
The most obvious interpretation is that Banks saw handwritten documents that appeared to be written by a child. That would mean clumsy, irregular manuscript (less likely cursive) writing, with spelling errors consistent with what children, pre-secondary school, typically make, such as "runing" for running (not applying the double the consonant rule) and the like. I've seen examples of DM's handwriting and errors like these are noticeable. I think they reflect the fact that he was educated in French in his primary years and never mastered the nuances of written English, probably because he dropped out. DM also apologized for his writing in his court appearance on the LB charges.

Jury being recalled. Millard's lawyer Nadir Sachak about to cross-examine.
by Adam Carter 11:08 AM

Sachak asks if Banks was "excited to return to Hamilton from Florida." "It had to be done," Banks says.
by Adam Carter 11:10 AM

Banks is retired, and had been there on vacation.
Is that Sachak's attempt at humour?

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 4m4 minutes ago
Jury is returning. Sachak doing cross for Millard. #Bosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 3m3 minutes ago
Banks now under cross exam by #Millard lawyer Nadir Sachak. His style: repeating same question several times with different words. #Bosma

Banks agrees he has done hundreds of forensic ident reports in his 23 years in that unit. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 38s39 seconds ago
Banks agreeing his is methodical when examine a scene. Also fair, objective and impartial.

Another unsensational witness. Was anybody else disappointed with the computer evidence yesterday? The way LE hyped this as being one of the most complicated computer/phone/tablet cases in history, I thought they would have found a lot more.

Sachak running through Banks' credentials and his decades of police work. "You've in fact trained [identification officers]?" he asks. "They've come to you for advice?" Banks says yes.
by Adam Carter 11:12 AM

"When you examine a scene you're methodical in your approach?" Sachak says. "We try to be," Banks says.
by Adam Carter 11:13 AM

"You're not there saying, 'how can we do this and incriminate some particular culprit?" Sachak says. Banks says no.
by Adam Carter 11:13 AM

This is the first time we've seen the defence try to highlight a police officer's experience.
by Adam Carter 11:14 AM

But... but... I *can't* stop laughing! :giggle:

Back to the point, could it have belonged to TB's daughter? I would assume he would clear belongings out of the truck before test driving, though.

I thought this too but how old was Tim's daughter at the time? Maybe back pack from daycare?

ETA: Some don't think of an item to be removed before a test drive. It's not likely the truck would have been bought and hauled out that day. Most leave a deposit and come back for vehicle, unless they have a trailer, it would need valid plates and sticker.

Oh I see where Sachak is going here- IMO, this is an indirect attack on anything Dungey may come up with as far as who may have actually pulled the trigger. MOO

I thought this too but how old was Tim's daughter at the time? Maybe back pack from daycare?

Maybe LB? Its odd that they would mention the backpack if it didn't relate to something.

Sachak now asking about how Banks takes notes, and how they are used to form a forensic identification report.
by Adam Carter 11:15 AM

"Like you have over the 23 years of your career when examining the Bosma truck, you were in fact being diligent?" Sachak says. Banks responds yes.
by Adam Carter 11:16 AM

The identification report is much more in depth than his notebook, Banks says.
by Adam Carter 11:18 AM

Banks says when he first saw the rear seats of Bosma's truck, they were in a flipped up position. "You certainly didn't flip it up?" Sachak says. Banks says no.
by Adam Carter 11:19 AM

Again, this is near the area where the shell casing was found.
by Adam Carter 11:20 AM

Another unsensational witness. Was anybody else disappointed with the computer evidence yesterday? The way LE hyped this as being one of the most complicated computer/phone/tablet cases in history, I thought they would have found a lot more.

I thought there was a lot of interesting items presented, the connections made, pics of guns, everyone under the sun backing up there info on DM's computers and hard drives. I think there is more to come, and they introduced the fact that other examiners will be presenting evidence found on telephones. Add to that the fact that some of these devices have been around a long time, I definitely feel we will be hearing a lot more about this in cases to come as well. MOO.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 40s40 seconds ago
Banks being asked about the keeping of his notes.

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 4m4 minutes ago
Sachak focusing on Banks's experience, seniority. Says he is professional, diligent. Yes, Banks says--they try to be. #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 3m3 minutes ago
Sachak:"You're not there at the scene gathering evidence and saying to yourself 'how am I going to do this so I incriminate culprits" #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 3m3 minutes ago
Banks: "no I would say we exonerate far more people than we ever implicate." #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 2m2 minutes ago
Asks about the point form notes he takes during an examination vs. the lengthy, more detailed final report. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 5m5 minutes ago
When he first saw truck, back seats were flipped up. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
Banks directed to his own report where he wrote back seats were folded up.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 1m1 minute ago
Sachak asks very repetitive questions. So I'm sparing you from the repeats. #Bosma

I'm sorry but what a shoddy way to speak to a former officer of the law. You can hear the drippy sarcasm. IMO

BBM
Jury being recalled. Millard's lawyer Nadir Sachak about to cross-examine.
by Adam Carter 11:08 AM

Sachak asks if Banks was "excited to return to Hamilton from Florida." "It had to be done," Banks says.

Banks is retired, and had been there on vacation.

I would think that anything that belonged to TB would have become evidence.

MOO

LOL OMG the defense seems to be suggesting the police planted the .380 cartridge? How in HELL would they know at that juncture to plant the exact casing that would go with the Walther PPK that they LATER found in the photos (July 2013) What are they doing?

I thought there was a lot of interesting items presented, the connections made, pics of guns, everyone under the sun backing up there info on DM's computers and hard drives. I think there is more to come, and they introduced the fact that other examiners will be presenting evidence found on telephones. Add to that the fact that some of these devices have been around a long time, I definitely feel we will be hearing a lot more about this in cases to come as well. MOO.

I was under the impression that yesterday's testimony was to establish who the devices belonged to and to show whatever obvious pictures/documents that were found on there that related to the crime.

We have yet to hear how those items were analysed and what part they played in the crime IMO.

MOO

Sachak now pointing to a page in the identification report itself. "The rear split seats were found folded up and the small amount of carpet under them was intact," the report reads.
by Adam Carter 11:21 AM

"You wrote that down because that is in fact the truth," Sachak says. Banks responds yes.
by Adam Carter 11:22 AM

Now another line from the report: "A spent firearm shell case was located on the rear passenger floor of the vehicle."
by Adam Carter 11:22 AM

"And it was not first visible when you first saw the Bosma truck and photographed it?" Sachak says. Banks says correct.
by Adam Carter 11:23 AM

I'm sorry but what a shoddy way to speak to a former officer of the law. You can hear the drippy sarcasm. IMO

BBM

I think it was just a friendly jab considering the weather here.

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 4m4 minutes ago
#Millard is giving signature sardonic look to #Smich while his lawyer crosses officer. Smich ignores him #TimBosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 4m4 minutes ago
#Millard is giving signature sardonic look to #Smich while his lawyer crosses officer. Smich ignores him #TimBosma

This isn't the first time DM's played the thespian when the shell casing has been mentioned.

Sachak now looking at notes from when Banks examined the truck.
by Adam Carter 11:24 AM

"Spent shell case visible in vehicle" read from the notes. It also says "All seats removed." "I'm referring at that point to the front seats," Banks says.
by Adam Carter 11:26 AM

"Shell case under rear seat, as it is flipped up," also read out from the notes. Banks says no police officer flipped up the seat - he says what he meant is the shell casing was seen under the rear seat while it was in a flipped up position.
by Adam Carter 11:27 AM

"It may seem somewhat confusing to a person like me, but that is what you meant?" Sachak says. Banks says yes.
by Adam Carter 11:28 AM

The casing didn't suddenly pop out when the seat was flipped up, Banks says.
by Adam Carter 11:28 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member