Brandon Scott Lavergne - Guilty Plea and LWOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thankful to the half sister for cooperating with the police.
I have to say that if what garyb told us is true she assisted bsl in a crime. She may have believed it to be a crime of gun running but that is a crime. Driving someone home from a national forest after they burn their truck and standing by while they file a false police report is wrong.
She may have been fooled by his story but she would clearly see the injuries bsl had and had known he was convicted of a tier 3 crime in the past. She could not have known what he was guilty of but gun running is a crimeas well as filing a false report to police.
Before today I assumed no member of his bio family helped him in any way. Her assistance was only with the truck but that bothers me.
Is bsl such a good liar that people believe him....gun running...need to burn truck.

I agree. I think Sista Sleuth posted a few pages back...inquiring of poss criminal charges against the sister. I do sympathize with her. I understand her dilemma. But...the almighty but...crimes are crimes. Big ones and little ones. Neither can be overlooked.

Given the few "facts" we have, I also think her final stand was in the truck - most likely when he got out in the cane field to go around to the passenger door. He probably left the knife on the seat.

OR, in the short time while he went around the truck, she was able to get to her backpack, and had her own blade.

Yes, she was injured, but maybe she stayed calm enough and played possum and had enough strength- in a life or death situation - to do this.
It's finally forming in my head - the jumping up part - that I think it went down when he got out of the truck in the cane field. She was alone in the truck for that short time.

My opinion only.

I agree with you, she helped with the prosecution and that had to be difficult.
The story just bothers me. She knows his past, he was just mugged and needs to burn his truck because someone he loaned it to used it in gun running. Bsl must be very persuasive. She absolutely did the right thing when she knew what had happened. I just believe that it is wrong to give him a ride after he burns his truck.

UOTE=chicken fried;8277703]This is the fine line between family and forthrightness.

If he told a good story, and some accounts - the hairdresser, etc., say that he can be persuasive, then she was in a gray area.

Something I think you have misunderstood:

She was told that the TRUCK was used in gunrunning, not BSL, if I understand correctly. I also have not seen where the half-sister knew he filed a false police report. She could have given him a ride to the rental agency, dropped him off, but not known about the report. If he was trying to fool her about the reason to burn the truck, I don't think it's likely that then he told her he was going to commit insurance fraud. There would have been no reason for him to do that - it would have only complicated things for him.

She also may have believed his story about the wounds.

It's easy to say she should have put two and two together, but the events may not have formed a complete picture for her at the time.

What is known is that she told the police what happened and this substantially led to his conviction. I think she did a lot, and went against the family instinct, and so I'm not going to crucify her for not running to the cops about a hearsay gun-running story that her half-brother told her didn't involve him.

She was caught in the middle, and ultimately chose to follow the path of integrity.[/QUOTE]

She may have been afraid of him or she may have believed his story.
I am sure she was in a difficult spot.
Still....filing a false police report is illegal for a reason.

So... should she be prosecuted for a false police report that Brandon filed?

You make some good legal points. I do think she believed his story -- he may have begged and pleaded or demanded help to avoid "being persecuted for something I didn't do, because of this RSO status and because I loaned someone my vehicle", or something similar. She was in an awful spot. I do feel for her.

I also wonder if she might have been a bit afraid of him. Here comes your half brother, into your life, and he ends up being a felon and kind of a scary guy. So maybe you try and be there for him as best you can, to avoid getting on his bad side, especially if you have kids at home. [ I have a scary relative that I used to be nice to out of fear.]

I am thankful to the half sister for cooperating with the police.
I have to say that if what garyb told us is true she assisted bsl in a crime. She may have believed it to be a crime of gun running but that is a crime. Driving someone home from a national forest after they burn their truck and standing by while they file a false police report is wrong.
She may have been fooled by his story but she would clearly see the injuries bsl had and had known he was convicted of a tier 3 crime in the past. She could not have known what he was guilty of but gun running is a crimeas well as filing a false report to police.
Before today I assumed no member of his bio family helped him in any way. Her assistance was only with the truck but that bothers me.
Is bsl such a good liar that people believe him....gun running...need to burn truck.

so was the going out to get his shaving kit and his truck was gone the story he told to the police?

http://theadvocate.com/csp/mediapoo...ates/FullStoryPrint.csp?cid=3290776&preview=y
The officials continued the search of Lavergne’s trailer and the property Friday.

Lafayette Police Cpl. Paul Mouton said Saturday that police dogs were used during the search.

Items collected from Lavergne’s residence are still being processed to “determine if it has evidence value or not,” Mouton said.

*“I’m not afraid, but for something like to happen in your backyard?” said Shirley Busby, 67.
Busby, meanwhile, noted that about four to five weeks ago a pasture that was part of the search had been overcome by buzzards.

“I’ve never seen them like that before,” she said. “They’d fly over the pasture.”

Busby said she’s praying the ground doesn’t hold Shunick, but hopes the student is found soon.

“I pray and ask the Lord, let them find her and bring some closure to that family,” she said. “That family is really fighting to find her.”

If she was there when he filed it, yes. It is quite possible she did not know about the police report. If she did not know about it then, no.
Knowingly giving someone a ride after burning a truck....that may not break any laws, I don't know.

I agree. I think Sista Sleuth posted a few pages back...inquiring of poss criminal charges against the sister. I do sympathize with her. I understand her dilemma. But...the almighty but...crimes are crimes. Big ones and little ones. Neither can be overlooked.

So then I guess the police would have to take the time to begin a prosecution for an accomplice after the fact in an illegal fire, if the burn laws were in effect. Unless it were proved that the truck was used in a gun-running operation, no crime was committed in covering up a non-existent crime.

I am not trying to blindly take her side, but if Brandon lied to her and then he burned his truck of his own volition and then asked her for a ride, then prosecution will not be easy for LE. I would be surprised if Brandon confided that then he was going to file a false police report and false insurance report.

I don't see the benefit in sleuthing a woman who played a huge part in sending a serial killer to prison.

JMO.

MOO.

She may have been afraid of him or she may have believed his story.
I am sure she was in a difficult spot.
Still....filing a false police report is illegal for a reason.

I would have probably done that for my brother too if he told me he let someone borrow his truck for gun running, but now he's desperate to get rid of the truck for fear of going back to jail or prison.

I don't think we know enough of the situation to determine whether she should be filed with charges or not. Obviously LE doesn't think so and that's okay with me. She cooperated with them to the utmost, maybe we should give her a break. Maybe she deeply cared about BSL, it's pretty hard to turn in someone you love and easy to look the other way especially if you don't think it's that big of a deal because she definitely had NO IDEA that he was a murderer or anything like that. Family members often don't turn in loved ones for suspecting possible criminal activity especially if they are telling they are caught up in something they didn't do, this isn't something new.

If she had no knowledge of the report then IMO she should not be prosecuted for that. If she was there as the police were taking the report she should be held accountable. Maybe not prosecuted because she was help to the prosecution.

I believe it is against TOS to be discussing whether or not BSL's sister committed a crime.

wow. i never knew they did stuff like this! i love going to rodeos, but i always feel bad when there is a cowboy that gets hurt. wouldn't have that problem with this!! LOL.

ok finished the whole video and i've decided i have to go see this one day. i've fallen in love with LA with as much as i've learned about it the past 3 months and i need to visit!

I've never been to the rodeo and I'm less than an hour's drive to it! I've always wanted to go but it just never came to happen.

Come on down someday!

bbm: Maybe in one sense, this is true; but I think, in real life, when going after a "big crime", it happens quite often that the eyes of LE/justice agree to turn away from "little crimes", for the sake of reaching the greater objective. Just the way it works, often.

I would have probably done that for my brother too if he told me he let someone borrow his truck for gun running, but now he's desperate to get rid of the truck for fear of going back to jail or prison.

I'm an only child so maybe I have no clue!
So I will use my son.
Not sure how I would handle it if he were a convicted RSO... but,

If it were my son... and he told me he let someone borrow his truck for gun running... he would be SOL!

If he told me he let someone borrow his truck and it was used for gun running without his knowledge and a murder occurred in his truck... I'd go to LE with or without his knowledge thinking it would clear him...

In this case I guess it would have implicated BSL

I think I just need to stick to

YOU made the choices... YOU are where you are now, because of them...
YOU need to "deal" and leave me out of it...:banghead:
then again IDK!!!

Sad isn't it?
moo

I am not sleuthing the sister. I just read what garyb said and Thought about it.
It is not black and white. She had her reasons but she did a favor for the wrong guy and that could cause trouble for her.
I do not know her and can not know if she was terrified of him, believed his stories. I believe she willingly helped le when they came to her.

According to what I understand, BSL told his sister he loaned his truck to someone. He found out after the fact it was used for gun running and because of his past, he had to get rid of it. So she gave him a ride away from the truck to her home.

Really??? No one helped BSL in this crime. And women are more easily hoodwinked??? Seriously? I know more men that I can trick into something than women. And I don't think that has anything to do with the sex, I think it is about the personality. Wow. Chickenfried i think i'm out of here too.

Agree, I don't think women are more easily hoodwinked.

OR, in the short time while he went around the truck, she was able to get to her backpack, and had her own blade.

Yes, she was injured, but maybe she stayed calm enough and played possum and had enough strength- in a life or death situation - to do this.
It's finally forming in my head - the jumping up part - that I think it went down when he got out of the truck in the cane field. She was alone in the truck for that short time.

My opinion only.

MOO too.... And I even hate to think/type this.....

I just wonder how accurate the gun part of his story is and when it happened... Was he planning to kill her from the get go? If yes, my thoughts are moot. If not, why didnt she "play possum" just a little bit longer and let him dump her in the cane fields? Her injuries from the stab wounds may have still taken her but she had a better chance than against the gun. . .

I do not want to take anything away from her fighting to take BSL and putting him away. I just cant help thinking of the what ifs...

:truce:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members