BREAKING Capitol police: US Capitol in lockdown, reports of gunshots, injured officer

I've been following CNN breaking news and watching the amazing video of the car chase. It is truly a blessing that there were no injuries to pedestrians along the route and that the wounded police officers are expected to recover. I'm sure that more information regarding the deceased suspect will come to light as the night progresses and tomorrow. I'll be tuned in to news programs this evening.

IIRC, essential government workers, like the Capitol Police, are required to show up for work, even if they're not being paid. It's in the contract they sign when they accept employment. So they're working without pay.

With a hurricane forecast to hit the gulf coast on Saturday, FEMA workers are also being recalled to work, without pay. NOAA workers are tracking the tornado without pay.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/fema-workers-recalled-furlough-storm-prep-20459941

Republicans have been working in Congress to deny back pay to these workers once the shut-down ends, but they haven't been successful.

http://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits...ort-retroactive-pay-shutdown-furloughs/70970/

I think we might want to stay away from the finger pointing on this thread of specific political parties...

KWIM?

Any updates or reports why a mother would try to ram the gates with a child in her car?
Something seems really odd about this whole story.
Why didn't they just shoot out her tires- why shoot her? They could have hit the child.

I agree... Soooo many questions...

What could be the motivation?

do we even know for sure that this was the driver's child? :dunno:

I am looking forward to follow up reports throughout the evening and tomorrow...

JMO

Do they receive back pay later on?
Benefits? How do they pay their bills? That's scary.

If Congress votes to approve back pay, they will. Let's hope the shut down is over soon. It seems so unfair. Government workers don't earn that much anyway.

If Congress votes to approve back pay, they will. Let's hope the shut down is over soon. It seems so unfair. Government workers don't earn that much anyway.

No kidding! Congress gets over paid imho. Most could do without their paycheck because they already have money from other sources.

Any updates or reports why a mother would try to ram the gates with a child in her car?
Something seems really odd about this whole story.
Why didn't they just shoot out her tires- why shoot her? They could have hit the child.

It hasn't even been confirmed that the deceased suspect is in fact the mother of the child...I really wonder what the whole story is. It seems very cray-cray to try to bust your way past WH security...could she have been under duress? It's a strange turn of events, and I bet we will really never know what the whole story is...oops my conspiracy theorist is showing ...lol....

It hasn't even been confirmed that the deceased suspect is in fact the mother of the child...I really wonder what the whole story is. It seems very cray-cray to try to bust your way past WH security...could she have been under duress? It's a strange turn of events, and I bet we will really never know what the whole story is...oops my conspiracy theorist is showing ...lol....

What if she accidently hit the barrier and didn't want a ticket and freaked out? I know it's not very logical, but some many people are afraid of cops nowadays especially women.
I hate to find out she was just scared. :(
Yes, I always wonder about the whole story the Truth!

Report that i have heard are that they may not be paid now but in the past shutdown they paid the workers once it was lifted

So the officers involved in the shooting normally gets suspended with and without pay during the investigation, does this mean they get suspended without pay? Kinda weird.

Your off work during the investigation Officer Jones that would be with out pay but your weren't being paid anyway? Huh?

Woman shot and killed by Capitol police after chaotic chase from White House

The suspect — a dental hygienist with a history of mental issues, according to sources — had a 1-year-old child with her who was not hurt, police said.

One Secret Service officer was struck by the woman's car, and a Capitol Police officer was injured when he slammed into a barricade during the pursuit.

All the shots fired came from the officers involved in the pursuit, and the woman — identified as Miriam Carey, 34, of Stamford, Conn. — did not have a gun, law-enforcement sources said.

more

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_new...ice-after-chaotic-chase-from-white-house?lite

On MSNBC - suspect's name is Miriam Carey, age 34 of Stamford, CT.

A witness reported that, at the WH, she tried to enter a secure area, Secret Service activated some of those barrier strips, she gunned the engine and tried to get through, hitting a Secret Service agent who was knocked onto the hood of her car and rolled off.

She then turned around and sped off down Pennsylvania Ave, running red lights and doing about 80 mph.

Photo at this link
http://www.ibtimes.com/meet-miriam-...y-killed-capitol-hill-shooting-photos-1414716

@nbc6: #BREAKING: Suspect fatally shot following chase near Capitol identified as Miriam Carey of Stamford, Conn.: NBC News http://t.co/yO4Kjdljyr

Sad sad sad. The video of this incident is pretty scary. She narrowly missed running over many officers and ignored warnings to stop. They didn't shoot right away. They really tried to get her to stop. I have also heard they were not aware the child was in the car.

On MSNBC - suspect's name is Miriam Carey, age 34 of Stamford, CT.

A witness reported that, at the WH, she tried to enter a secure area, Secret Service activated some of those barrier strips, she gunned the engine and tried to get through, hitting a Secret Service agent who was knocked onto the hood of her car and rolled off.

She then turned around and sped off down Pennsylvania Ave, running red lights and doing about 80 mph.

Photo at this link
http://www.ibtimes.com/meet-miriam-...y-killed-capitol-hill-shooting-photos-1414716

Hitting an officer (or anyone, for that matter) with a car... Seemingly intentional... Is technically assaulting an officer (in this case) with a weapon...
(Weapon being the car... Very deadly)

am I correct?

Hitting an officer (or anyone, for that matter) with a car... Seemingly intentional... Is technically assaulting an officer (in this case) with a weapon...
(Weapon being the car... Very deadly)

am I correct?
Yes. The car was a weapon. It is just heart breaking that she was mentally ill and a baby witnessed this.

A "history" of "mental illness" could be anything from she saw a doc once for anxiety to full-blown psychosis ...we'll never know.

This whole story stinks IMO .

This whole thing is really heartbreaking. For the officers, agents, witnesses, the poor lady, and baby.

Youtube video of the Capital Police Officer and how that mangled car came to be it appears. He went through those popup barriers. I hadn't seen those before. Way bigger than spikes at the airport if you backup. I read he was released tonight from the hospital. That is good. The SS was hit by MC's vehicle and flipped over the hood when she couldn't get through the second gate entrance. No word on how he's doing yet.

I don't have the links for the info though, just the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCu80iDid_Q&feature=youtu.be

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname