Britney Spears speaks …

I took notice when there was so much attention on the conservatorship ending.IOW shocking that she had such little access to the very things that she worked hard to attain. But on a closer look ..IMO her world
was/is is imploding.
I think this guy held her hand when he could ..but whatever darkness is going on with her must be painfully hard to navigate.
The revisit on child-star-life for those who have been brave enough to share is sad. And sad seems like such a mild word to attach to it. Brooke Sheild’s documentary surprised me how she forgave & justified her exploited lost childhood. Mariel Hemingway too.
IMO this one we are talking about, needs years of guidance & therapy to get the tools to be at peace. Her hundreds of twirling videos,makeup running down her face are in attempt to self sooth
MOO

Last edited:
I took notice when there was so much attention on the conservatorship ending.IOW shocking that she had such little access to the very things that she worked hard to attain. But on a closer look ..IMO her world
was/is is imploding.
I think this guy held her hand when he could ..but whatever darkness is going on with her must be painfully hard to navigate.
The revisit on child-star-life for those who have been brave enough to share is sad. And sad seems like such a mild word to attach to it. Brooke Sheild’s documentary surprised me how she forgave & justified her exploited lost childhood. Mariel Hemingway too.
IMO this one we are talking about, needs years of guidance & therapy to get the tools to be at peace. Her hundreds of twirling videos,makeup running down her face are in attempt to self sooth
MOO
<modsnip - unnecessary>
I think to need to brush up on my Britney.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Tragedy runs in my family,' she states in the tome, before diving into the horrendous tale of how her grandmother - who was known to everyone as Jean and inspired Britney's middle name - endured years of trauma and loss before ultimately shooting herself on top of her infant son's grave.

Jean was married to a police officer named June Spears Sr. - Britney's paternal grandfather - a 'viscous' man who fathered 10 children from three different wives, and has been accused of sexually assaulting his daughter when she was only 11.

After losing her baby when he was only three days old, June put Jean into an institution, where she was involuntarily put on the drug lithium - something Britney herself has claimed she had to take.

On a humid spring day in 1966, Jean walked into the cemetery where her baby boy had been buried and pointed a 12-gauge shotgun up at her head and pulled the trigger.

Worth the read, imo.

Given the context of Spears' punishing 13-year conservatorship and her relentlessly cruel treatment by the media, the title feels almost like an indictment of us all for not listening to her, for decades, tell us who she is and what she wants. It also suggests entrapment — of not having the freedom to live authentically, on her own terms. As a feminist cultural critic and armchair philosopher, I find Spears’ understanding of freedom the most compelling aspect of this book, much more than the celebrity gossip that has been sensationalized in the media.

Spears presents an idea of freedom that is tethered to gender, and specifically being and becoming a woman. The title, in fact, says it all: "The Woman in Me" is about becoming free and becoming a woman at the same time.

It seems at this point there was a reason for the conservatorship which is sad. How many times has she released videos of her doing off the wall stuff, is it for attention? I feel sorry for her two sons and wish she would stop with her antics.
I felt something was off with her when she shaved her head years back.
Jmo

I can't think of a number of people who act bizarre, say bizarre things, engage in dangerous behaviors. Some have been people I know but most are people who have been scrutinized by the public because they are in the public sphere. I can only think of two who have had conservatorships hobbling their behavior and both are women. Britney Spears and Amanda Bynes. Why can people like Charlie Sheen, Nick Nolte, Wesley Snipes, and any number of male celebrities who get charged numerous times for DUI's, brawling with fans, and general weird behavior get a pass? Is that business as usual for males but when women act out they are certifiable. Eg. Anne Heche, Lindsay Lohan, etc.

Exactly right, @branmuffin. We could list numerous men who have had mental break-downs in public. No one ever says they should be put under a conservatorship. It's blatant sexism.

I have always felt she has talent but was treated horribly, her freedom to live her own adult life literally taken from her. Robbed and used by others. Then she's judged for showing, in her own ways, her desire to be free.

She may need mental health help, but she doesn't need to be controlled.

Exactly right, @branmuffin. We could list numerous men who have had mental break-downs in public. No one ever says they should be put under a conservatorship. It's blatant sexism.

I have always felt she has talent but was treated horribly, her freedom to live her own adult life literally taken from her. Robbed and used by others. Then she's judged for showing, in her own ways, her desire to be free.

She may need mental health help, but she doesn't need to be controlled.
Plus the fact that at the time she got the conservatorship she was worth over 150 million bucks. She was treated like an indentured servant working in Vegas and treated like a recalcitrant minor off the stage. Her net worth has plummeted to 60 million. She sure as hell wasn't spending all that money while she was working in Vegas. Her family used her like a brood mare.

Sadly, I'm not surprised.
It says she’s wearing underwear but she’s wearing shorts.

This poor woman has had heartless paparazzi filming her like her whole life. She looks like a frightened child in those pictures because she’s never been rightfully protected. She’s never got to feel safe. It’s tragic.

I absolutely loved her when I was little. I wanted to be her. I feel for her, she’s really going through it.

I don't think that link is reflective of Britney's situation. Only four people including Britney and Amanda are on that list that actually had conservatorships given. Brian Wilson was one, when his cousin got conservatorship because his business manager was controlling his assets. His family cared about his wellbeing not his bank balance. Sound familiar?

Joni Mitchell had a conservatorship during her illness that was exempt from being able to control her finances. It ended when she became well again because those who held the conservatorship cared about her well being not her finances.

Randy Meisner was suicidal after his wife died accidentally and had a conservatorship applied. Because there was some funny business over his accountant 'friend' a social worker was given the task of conservatorship. Seems to be a theme here, don'tcha think?

Casey Kasem had dementia. He had a conservatorship applied by a judge for his current wife. It was reversed after only one year because his wife was abusing him. He died a month after it was reversed.

I could go on but that link illustrates that concern for the person saddled with a conservatorship seems to be fueled by the fact that friends, family, or business partners, fear they might no longer be able to drink from the financial fountain their charge provides. The motivating factor is $$$$$, sadly enough. In the case of Peter Falk, a law was created to ensure that a conservatorship was not allowed to restrict providing current medical and health information or access to family members. It didn't even mention financial control.

If we were talking about Joe Public I would hope that the idea of conservatorship is fueled by the concern for a person's quality of life and any medical decisions that need to be made but I would think that even if the only thing a person owns is a $200K home, some family members will either be squabbling or scheming to take control for their own personal gain. It appears to be the human condition. One which by now should be recognized by the court system and viewed with a healthy skepticism and a review of conservatorships at regular intervals otherwise the courts are partly responsible when they go sideways just like they are when they put abused children back in the care of abusive parents because 'family is always better than strangers'. Ha.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LornaJay
Back