Still Missing CA - Aranda Briones, 16, missing after a night out with friends, Moreno Valley, 13 Jan 2019 *arrest*

Very strange. This is the only article I've seen Riverdale mentioned. If you replace Riverdale with Rubidoux in that article, it is almost verbatim what I've read in several other articles. The searches I've heard about have been more local, which makes me think Riverdale was an error. If it's not, the search area just got MUCH larger.

That article does shed more light on the family dynamics. There were small details I noticed that seem to conflict with previous articles, so I am taking all of them with a big grain of salt. I'm not sure if it's bad reporting or faulty memory, but this article has a few tidbits of info that aren't quite the same as I've read in other articles. Who knows which version is correct?

When I read the article, I was curious if the Riverdale location was a slight error. I have no way of knowing, and I think taking those articles at face value is sound practice. jmo

I sort of hope this is true, and that they are closely looking at the friend:

“Aranda Briones disappeared in Moreno Valley. A friend told the police that he dropped her in the parking lot of Moreno Valley Community Park around 6 p.m. that day, but investigators told family members that surveillance video did not show that.

“They pulled footage, and they don’t know if the time was wrong, but it looks like nobody was dropped off between 6 and 6:30,” her brother, Daniel Briones, told KTLA.

Matthew Horstkotte, the teen’s uncle, told ABC 7 that the friend could be hiding something.”

It is the second story down in this link - first story/headline is unrelated. Teen Girls Arrested in Connection to California Killing

“Aranda Briones disappeared in Moreno Valley. A friend told the police that he dropped her in the parking lot of Moreno Valley Community Park around 6 p.m. that day, but investigators told family members that surveillance video did not show that.

“They pulled footage, and they don’t know if the time was wrong, but it looks like nobody was dropped off between 6 and 6:30,” her brother, Daniel Briones, told KTLA.

Matthew Horstkotte, the teen’s uncle, told ABC 7 that the friend could be hiding something.”

It is the second story down in this link - first story/headline is unrelated. Teen Girls Arrested in Connection to California Killing

That's the first article I've seen where they name the friend who dropped her off. Only his first name is provided.

Not good At all. He needs to explain why he can’t be seen on video at that time. Very concerning.

I'm sure this is common sense, but someone from the family needs to:
  • Contact the cellular provider to preform a SIM-swap on the phone.
  • After her cellphone number has been ported over to a new device - reset the social media accounts if they were protected with 2FA. (This includes the Instagram, Snapchat, Gmail, etc.)
  • Read the privates messages from these social media accounts and take note of the recently contacted people.
Hopefully from there some progress could be made on this case.

I'm sure this is common sense, but someone from the family needs to:
  • Contact the cellular provider to preform a SIM-swap on the phone.
  • After her cellphone number has been ported over to a new device - reset the social media accounts if they were protected with 2FA. (This includes the Instagram, Snapchat, Gmail, etc.)
  • Read the privates messages from these social media accounts and take note of the recently contacted people.
Hopefully from there some progress could be made on this case.
These are all excellent suggestions, and with the FBI involved, we can certainly hope all this (and more) is being done.

I’m very uncomfortable with the dubious claims the person who dropped her off made.

In addition, I want to know why the friend called asking if she had made it home.

All very shady and suspect.
Shady....

Amateur opinion and speculation only

These are all excellent suggestions, and with the FBI involved, we can certainly hope all this (and more) is being done.

I’m very uncomfortable with the dubious claims the person who dropped her off made.

In addition, I want to know why the friend called asking if she had made it home.

All very shady and suspect.
Shady....

Do we know if the person who texted saying s/he hoped Aranda made it home is the same person who supposedly dropped her off at the park?

I suppose, but someone obviously saw that message if everything stopped transmitting after the message asking questions
I'd be curious to know if the message was opened (read) and then the phone shut off or if it just happened to shut off after she sent it but wasn't necessarily opened. With snapchat, it tells you when someone opens your message or not. Not that it makes much difference but would definitely highlight that it was intentional.

Edit: In one of the newer articles linked above it says the friend texted her after seeing her location on snapchat, so I guess that's a little different considering you can turn your read receipts off on iPhones etc. I was previously under the impression that she messaged her directly through the snapchat app. Still curious though if the friend could confirm that the message was read or not by her (or whoever had her phone)

Last edited:
Not good At all. He needs to explain why he can’t be seen on video at that time. Very concerning.
Exactly- unless he comes up with a very good reason or corroborating witnesses he is suspect #1. What innocent reason would you have for fabricating a story about dropping someone off at a certain place/time.

Exactly- unless he comes up with a very good reason or corroborating witnesses he is suspect #1. What innocent reason would you have for fabricating a story about dropping someone off at a certain place/time.
I’m sure LE is carefully analyzing this. As the days go by I grow increasingly concerned for this young woman. There would be no reason for her not to contact her loved ones as it sounds like she had a fair amount of freedom. Perhaps too much. Heavy sigh...

Another thing. In this article: Aranda Briones Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

it states that the brother is the one that received the text from a friend asking if Aranda made it home & he proceeded to check her room. Wasn't the original story that the uncle received a text from one of her friend's the same night? Because I remember thinking why would her friends her age have her uncle's phone number or be friends with him. (but the uncle does seem on the younger side). ANYWAY, not pointing fingers at the family for changing the story, perhaps this is just bad reporting/journalism. Seems to be a lot of conflicting information in recent articles from this to the mention of Rubidoux vs Riverdale

Another thing. In this article: Aranda Briones Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

it states that the brother is the one that received the text from a friend asking if Aranda made it home & he proceeded to check her room. Wasn't the original story that the uncle received a text from one of her friend's the same night? Because I remember thinking why would her friends her age have her uncle's phone number or be friends with him. (but the uncle does seem on the younger side). ANYWAY, not pointing fingers at the family for changing the story, perhaps this is just bad reporting/journalism. Seems to be a lot of conflicting information in recent articles from this to the mention of Rubidoux vs Riverdale

I think the article may have mistakenly called him the brother, not the uncle. I saw the uncle , himself, in a tv interview, say that he received the text from a friend, asking if his niece made it home safe. I linked the interview in this thread, way upstream.

When I read the article, I was curious if the Riverdale location was a slight error. I have no way of knowing, and I think taking those articles at face value is sound practice. jmo
Riverdale is simply wrong IMO. There is no Riverdale in the area, although there is a little farm community by that name 270 miles away near Fresno, another in Mendocino even farther away. She would not have traveled that far the first night. Rubidoux is close to Moreno Valley.

From page one:
...last seen near the Moreno Valley Community Park at Frederick and Cottonwood on Sunday, Jan. 13....Matthew Horstkotte, her uncle, says there were indications on social media that Aranda's cellphone indicated she was in Rubidoux the night she went missing. But since then, there's been no contact or indication of her whereabouts.
Moreno Valley teen missing for more than a week

What about the reservoir?
Thanks for the feet on the street reporting!

Perhaps they should call it Mystic puddle? ; )
JMO SoCal has vast deserts where lost local and tourist hikers go missing all the time. The desert would be the preferred dumping ground, or the nearby high mountains, three are over 10,000 feet with multiple roads into 5-8,000 feet. I mean, desert or mountains as opposed to bodies of water.

ABC 7 is reporting 2 arrests being made in connection to this case:

Aranda Briones missing case: 2 arrested on suspicion of murder

"Two people have been arrested in connection with a missing Moreno Valley teenager, booking records show.

The Riverside County Sheriff's Department booking information shows that Owen Skyler Shover was arrested on suspicion of murder, and Gary Anthony Shover was arrested on suspicion of second-degree murder and conspiracy to commit a crime."

ABC 7 is reporting 2 arrests being made in connection to this case:

Aranda Briones missing case: 2 arrested on suspicion of murder

"Two people have been arrested in connection with a missing Moreno Valley teenager, booking records show.

The Riverside County Sheriff's Department booking information shows that Owen Skyler Shover was arrested on suspicion of murder, and Gary Anthony Shover was arrested on suspicion of second-degree murder and conspiracy to commit a crime."
Ugh, this breaks my heart for Aranda's family but I am not surprised.

“Numerous things are currently in the works as we speak,” Riverside County Sheriff’s Department Sgt. Chris Willison told CBS LA. He identified the friend who said he dropped off Briones as Owen, no last name given, and said the male is part of the investigation but that officers are pursuing other leads as well.

Owen said that after he dropped Briones off, she got into another vehicle, family members said.
==========================================================================

So they arrested the 'friend' that had said he dropped her off????????????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona
Back