CA - Child *advertiser censored* charges against John Mark Karr dismissed

Hopefully they checked everything else out. The Ramsey's DNA didn't match either. I hope we get a chance to hear what Karr has to say. I wonder what he has said to them (LE). He said he wanted to tell his story. Let's hear it.

Well...I am still on the RDI/IDI fence. I don't think the case will ever be solved after this fiasco.

Thanks, Boulder DA. You brought back a freak. What's he going to do to satisfy his quest for stardom now one he fades from the limelight? Probably attack someone's beautiful child. GRRR!@

I wasn't really surprised that the DNA didn't match. I wanted to keep an open mind but also knew that the guy has a few screws lose.

California will be coming to pick him up and take him back to answer the charges there. He split on them before but it doesn't sound like he will do much jail time there.

Jean from CTV read the paperwork that was released today about the investigation of Karr and how it all came about and why they made the decision to go pick him up. It's understandable. Their DNA expert said that they needed a swab from his mouth to compare to the DNA found on JonBenet's underwear. The expert wasn't comfortable using DNA from a letter or something like that. I think that they did the right thing in bringing him back here. There was as big a chance that he was guilty as there was that he wasn't guilty.

The thought of him being back out there soon though is scary. He really is a very sick person and he will damage little girls if he hasn't already. I wish they could lock him up for the awful things he talks about in all of those emails he has written to those two people.

Pandora said:
Can we please send him back to Thailand to face the music there?!
Yeah...all he wanted was a little sick fame and a free ride back to the U.S! I wish they would have done the homework BEFORE getting him over here. :doh:

No surprise at all to me. I never thought this nut murdered JBR. He does need to be off the streets, though.

nanandjim said:
No surprise at all to me. I never thought this nut murdered JBR. He does need to be off the streets, though.
I agree. He is one strange duck. :loser:

Karr tries to fight extradition, judge says 'no'

BOULDER - District Judge Roxanne Bailin denied John Mark Karr's request to fight extradition to California on Tuesday.

Karr's public defender tried to fight his extradition to face child *advertiser censored* charges in Sonoma County, Calif.

However, the judge disagreed and said Karr must be sent to California by September 13th.

Karr is set to face five child *advertiser censored* charges from 2001. If convicted, he could get a year in prison on each count.

The extradition hearing came a day after the Boulder County District Attorney's office dropped its case against Karr when his DNA did not match the sample taken at the crime scene of the murder of JonBenet Ramsey in December 1996.

Earlier in the day Tuesday, District Attorney Mary Lacy defended her decision to arrest Karr for the murder in Bangkok, Thailand earlier this month.

In a press conference, Lacy admitted they had no evidence against Karr except for his confessions through e-mails and telephone conversations.

She also said Boulder investigators did everything they could to investigate Karr before he was brought back to the United States. This included taking secret DNA samples in Thailand and sending them overnight to Boulder. The results of these samples are unclear.

Additionally, First Assistant District Attorney Peter Maguire said Mark Spray, the investigator in Thailand, asked Karr on several occasions for a saliva sample but Karr would not consent. Maguire continued to say that during a brief meeting between Spray and Karr, Karr agreed to a saliva sample but Spray did not have the DNA kit with him at that time.

Lacy and Maguire said that based on Karr's confessions through e-mail and over the phone, they determined that to press charges, Karr's DNA must match the DNA found at the crime scene. Additionally, they would have to be able to place him in Boulder in the last week of December 1996.

Lacy said, "We were not able to establish that he was in Boulder but we were not able to establish that he was not in Boulder."

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?...MPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

Thanks buzz! I'm surprised he didn't want to go back to where Polly Klaas was! I wonder just how much of a sentence he'll be given out there. Guess we'll find out soon ~
:)

Couldn't WE just transmogrify him to Pluto? Where are Calvin and Hobbes when we need them!?

OR let his ex wife have a crack at him.

Thanks, Buzz.

Not a big surprise, IMO. His charges in CA are not nearly as exciting to him as the hoopla over JBR....

Sonoma County D.A. pursuing 2001 case
Karr to be extradited on charges of child *advertiser censored* possession

John Mark Karr won't be facing murder charges in Colorado, but he will have to face the music in a 5-year-old child *advertiser censored* case out of Petaluma, prosecutors said Monday.

Stephan Passalacqua, the district attorney in Sonoma County, said his office plans to bring Karr back to face five misdemeanor counts of possessing child *advertiser censored*, for which he would face up to one year in prison and a $2,500 fine on each count.

Karr disappeared in December 2001 as the *advertiser censored* case against him was nearing trial. A "no bail" warrant was issued for his arrest.

The decision to extradite Karr was made after authorities in Boulder, Colo., informed Passalacqua on Monday that they would not be proceeding with murder charges against the 41-year-old teacher in the JonBenet Ramsey case.

"We filed this case against Mr. Karr in 2001, and the same merits in proceeding with the case then still exist today," Passalacqua said in a prepared statement. "Defendants convicted of possessing child *advertiser censored* are required to register with local authorities as sex offenders; Mr. Karr should be no exception."

Arrangements will be made in the "coming days" for Karr's extradition, the prosecutor said. Karr is not expected to appear in court in Sonoma County until at least the first week of September, according to the statement.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/08/29/MNGFSKR5Q61.DTL

Oh Yippee Buzz, your link also has a link so one can listen to Lacy's presser today :( and also hear JMK/Tracey phone calls :(

NOPEEE, not me, not going to go thru that again, and I don't want to hear or read a thing that pervert said or had written, nor hear Lacy's excusesagain.

I have to save my precious brain space for more important thangs! :dance:

Buzzm1 said:
Sonoma County D.A. pursuing 2001 case
Karr to be extradited on charges of child *advertiser censored* possession

John Mark Karr won't be facing murder charges in Colorado, but he will have to face the music in a 5-year-old child *advertiser censored* case out of Petaluma, prosecutors said Monday.

Stephan Passalacqua, the district attorney in Sonoma County, said his office plans to bring Karr back to face five misdemeanor counts of possessing child *advertiser censored*, for which he would face up to one year in prison and a $2,500 fine on each count.

Karr disappeared in December 2001 as the *advertiser censored* case against him was nearing trial. A "no bail" warrant was issued for his arrest.

The decision to extradite Karr was made after authorities in Boulder, Colo., informed Passalacqua on Monday that they would not be proceeding with murder charges against the 41-year-old teacher in the JonBenet Ramsey case.

"We filed this case against Mr. Karr in 2001, and the same merits in proceeding with the case then still exist today," Passalacqua said in a prepared statement. "Defendants convicted of possessing child *advertiser censored* are required to register with local authorities as sex offenders; Mr. Karr should be no exception."

Arrangements will be made in the "coming days" for Karr's extradition, the prosecutor said. Karr is not expected to appear in court in Sonoma County until at least the first week of September, according to the statement.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/08/29/MNGFSKR5Q61.DTL

Can we fly parents in from Bangkok of children he raped and murdered?

Doesn't the more serious charges come first in the International court of law?

30 August 2006

Karr email: I want Johnny Depp to play me in movie

JOHN MARK KARR told an academic he wanted Johnny Depp to play him in a film about how he killed JonBenet Ramsey, which he believed would make a billion dollars.

The 41-year-old teacher insisted he sexually assaulted and strangled the child beauty queen, but was revealed as a fantasist obsessed with her brutal murder when DNA testing failed to place him at the crime scene.

After announcing they were dropping their case against Karr, prosecutors released pages of rambling and often graphic emails he sent to University of Colorado journalism Professor Michael Tracey, in which he said that he liked little girls as long as they were no older than 10.

Meanwhile, prosecutors vowed to find the killer of six-year-old beauty queen

“This case is not closed,” said District Attorney Mary Lacy.

JonBenet’s aunt, Pamela Paugh, said yesterday that she wasn’t terribly shocked to learn that John Marl Karr’s public confession to being with JonBenet when she died didn’t hold up.

“I think one of two things is going on: either he is quite disturbed, and in that respect needs a lot of help and care, or he has perpetrated quite the fraud on the American public and the victims’ families, and he needs help and a lot of care,” Ms Paugh told CBS television.

“For us, this isn’t a story that ebbs and flows — this is real life. So we have to maintain a certain amount of calmness through anything that happens. Otherwise you can be on a rollercoaster every week of your life.”

Karr, who called himself Daxis and sometimes referred to himself in the third person, also described in a phone call with Prof Tracey the way he claimed he accidentally killed JonBenet.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishe...-qqqm=sport-qqqa=sport-qqqid=12054-qqqx=1.asp

SONOMA JUDGE WON'T UNSEAL KARR ARREST DOCUMENTS
08/29/06 5:15 PDT
SANTA ROSA (BCN)

A Sonoma County Superior Court judge refused this afternoon to unseal documents regarding the 2001 arrest of John Mark Karr in Sonoma County on five misdemeanor charges of possession of child *advertiser censored*.

The documents were sealed earlier this month after Karr became a suspect in the murder of JonBenet Ramsey. He is no longer being prosecuted in Colorado for the 6-year-old beauty pageant contestant's murder in December 1996.

Judge Cerena Wong denied a motion by Bay Area media outlets to unseal documents in support of a search warrant and Karr's arrest. Rachel Matteo-Boehm, attorney for the media, said unsealing the documents does not mean Karr can't get a fair trial and that the California standard for sealing the documents is "exceedingly high.''

Matteo-Boehm said the public and the press have a First Amendment right to know what is in the documents that support Karr's arrest.

The judge made her ruling after viewing the documents during a closed hearing with Sgt. Robert Giordano of the Sonoma County Sheriff's Department and Deputy County Counsel Anne Keck.

It was disclosed during the court hearing that the Sheriff's Department has re-opened its investigation of Karr on the *advertiser censored* charges. Giordano would not comment on the scope of the re-opened investigation.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Joan Risse said new technology has allowed a more thorough examination of Karr's computer on which the *advertiser censored* was allegedly found five years ago.

Wong said the overriding considerations to support keeping the documents sealed include Karr's and the prosecution's right to a fair trial before an impartial jury and Karr's presumption of innocence. Wong also cited the ongoing investigation by the Sheriff's Department.

Matteo-Boehm also argued that names of alleged underage victims and witnesses in the documents could be redacted to shield their identity before the documents were unsealed. Wong said her review of the documents showed that was not possible and the identities could still be discerned.

http://cbs5.com/localwire/localfsnews/bcn/2006/08/29/n/HeadlineNews/KARR/resources_bcn_html

Will the Karr Debacle Lead the Media Addicts to Rehab? Don't Count on It

Channel-surfing last night's wall-to-wall TV coverage of the decision to drop all charges against John Mark Karr was like walking through the halls of a drug rehab center -- everywhere you looked, you saw addicts unable to break their addiction.

All in the MSM -- well, all except Nancy Grace -- know how sick they are for continuing to talk and talk and talk and talk about this case.

But they just can't help themselves. They know they shouldn't do another eight ball -- they know, after all, this guy is not the killer -- yet they go on and on and on.

The sad thing is, they can't even enjoy the cheap buzz of dishing out the titillating trash -- you can see the embarrassment on their faces as they reach for the ersatz-breaking-news bottle. As I wrote about scandal-addicted newshounds during the Robert Blake bacchanal: "They're like Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick in the last reel of Days of Wine and Roses. They're no longer drinking to get high; they're just hoping to avoid delirium tremens -- which in TV-land translates to 'big time ratings slump.' You know, just a little pick-me-up to 'take the edge off.'

But the 12-day Karr bender is worse than any of its lampshade-on-the-head predecessors. Worse than OJ, worse than Robert Blake. At least those media circus clowns were connected in some way (wink, wink) to the crimes in question. Karr is nothing but a disturbed wannabe -- the walking, talking embodiment of a non-story (or, perhaps, a minor mention buried deep inside the pages of the Rocky Mountain News). Instead, the media tumbled down the 12 steps and embarked on a frantic binge that saw countless articles and hours of airtime devoted to the minutest details of the life, times, and airplane menu of a pathetic murderer manqué (Fried king prawns and roast duck -- oh my!).

In one of the creepiest displays of schizophrenic TV I've ever witnessed, Nancy Grace, captain of the lurid crime cheerleading squad, managed last night to conflate for a few fleeting moments the war in Iraq with the Karr scandal. At the end of yet another show devoted exclusively to the Karr nonstory, Grace sought the reassurance of her guest, People magazine staff editor Larry Sutton, that she wasn't going to have to go cold turkey on the Karr/JonBenet juice.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffington/will-the-karr-debacle-lea_b_28278.html

I would suspect that Sonoma authorities will extraditie John Karr back to California sometime in the next few days or next week. Unlike Colorado, thier case against John Karr is there waiting, put on hold for five years when Karr left.

Will the coverage of the John Karr case in California continue on the JonBenet board, or will a new board be created for that case? I suspect that there are many, including myself, that will be interested in following this to it's conclusion, hopefully with a conviction and prison sentence in California.

LOVED The Karr Debacle article! I was sitting and reading those emails late last night then came to my senses and realized what I was doing. I will admit I was a *tad* upset at the outcome becuase there hasn't been a case I've been into in awhile. But, now Warren Jeffs has finally been aprehended and I can't wait to hear about hte book being thrown at that sicko!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mark_Karr#Career
In 1996, about the time the powerwurks.com website was created, multiple posts were made to various Usenet newsgroups by a John Karr. In one post Karr described himself as a 31 year old with 3 young children, and that he planned to attend college and major in elementary education. One post purported to be from a 23-year-old woman named Lara, which coincided in both name and age to Karr's then-wife Lara. The posts were made to newsgroups dedicated to topics like "parents-teens", "personals", and groups frequented by students from elementary through high school. The posts contained references to the powerwurks.com website, and some described the purpose of the site.

1996 - March 9 - Karr accessed the alt.support.loneliness newsgroup talking about powerwurks.com

1996--August–September 1996: Karr served as a substitute teacher at Hamilton Elementary School. In September 1996, Karr was fired from a substitute teaching job in Alabama after parents complained about his classroom etiquette. "Things he would say in my opinion were not needed to be said in a classroom of elementary students," said Marion County School Superintendent Bravell Jackson.

1996 fall, John Mark Karr begins attending Bevill State Community College, in Hamilton, Alabama

During that time he also ran a used car business, according to Marion County Probate Judge Annette Bozeman, who often saw Karr in her office working on car titles

1996 - Gary Williams, assistant superintendent of Alabama's Franklin County School System, confirmed to TIME that John Mark Karr worked as a substitute teacher there on December 17, 18 and 19, of 1996.. He continued as a substitute teacher until May of 1997. While there, the elementary-school principal reprimanded Karr for behaving inappropriately with students. "She suspected some things and confronted him," said Williams. "He made corrections."

1996 – family Christmas in Atlanta

1997 – John Mark Karr also operated a Day Care Center in northwest Alabama. The Marion County Department of Human Resources issued a license for Karr to begin operating a day care out of his home in June 1997. Under the license, Karr was allowed to care for as many as six children at a time, ranging in age up to 14 years old.

2000 - March, Karr's mother died in a rest home in PA

2000 – summer, John Mark Karr moves family to Petaluma, CA---John Mark Karr raised the hackles of his wife at the time and three sons when he diverted to Boulder and dumped them in a motel for the day so he could troll around town doing "research" for a book on the JonBenet Ramsey murder, says a member of Karr's church in California.
"He got a feel for the place and observed it all for his book," Dennis Melfa, 59, said Sunday as he recalled what Karr told him five years ago.

That daylong excursion could have given Karr the knowledge he professes to have about the Ramsey home and local landmarks.

2000 - John Karr received a bachelor of science degree in liberal arts from Regents College, now Excelsior College, in 2000, spokesman Bill Stewart said Thursday.

2000 - After settling in Petaluma, CA a few weeks later JMK met Dennis Melfa, 59, attending Rite of Christian Initiation classes at St. Vincent De Paul Catholic Church. Melfa was a real estate broker, and JMK asked Melfa about buying the house where Polly Klaas had been kidnapped.

2000 - December, through March 2001, he worked in the Petaluma, Old Adobe, Liberty and Wilmar elementary districts as a substitute school teacher.

2001 – early in year, John Mark Karr contacts Wendy Hutchens re: Richard Allan Davis

2001 – April 13: Karr was arrested on five misdemeanor counts of possession of child *advertiser censored*, the Sonoma County sheriff's office said

2001 - - April 17: Karr pleaded not guilty to the charges, according to court documents

2001 – April 19, Karr's wife Lara filed for divorce

2001 – Oct. 5: After a series of court hearings, Karr was released from jail, but was ordered to report to a probation officer and avoid child *advertiser censored*, children and places where children congregate, such as schools, beaches and parks. The court records in the case were sealed.

The way Karr presented himself impressed the group, the San Francisco Cable Car Chorus, as much as his voice. "He was the kind of guy who was always, like, on a performance, so they loved him," Melfa said.--->>

Karr drove a Jaguar, Melfa said, a fairly new model, and dressed "like he had money." However, court records of the Karrs' 2001 divorce show his wife brought in the bulk of the family's earnings.--->>

Melfa visited (JMK in jail) twice, once bringing novels to Karr.

"I wanted to try and figure out whether he was guilty or not, and I couldn't really tell," Melfa said. He recalled that Karr "was frightened" and insistent that he had been set up by Hutchens because he had been pressuring her to put him in touch with Davis.--->>

After Karr was released from jail in October, he began attending the 5 p.m. Saturday Mass at St. Vincent De Paul's. He hitchhiked or took a bus from Santa Rosa where he had arranged to trade labor for rent, Melfa said.

Karr stayed at the Bennett Valley home of Herb Willsmore, 60. Willsmore said a friend at the church had referred Karr to him.

"He crawled under the house and put in a water line; it was pretty good work," said Willsmore, who is disabled. "He was always wanting to talk.--->>

At dinner, Melfa said, Karr also said he was thinking about starting a church in San Francisco fashioned after "one those those Jim Bakker, great big revival type things."

"He figured with all those homeless, and all those lost souls in San Francisco, that he could lead them and really become something big doing that," Melfa said

2001 – November: A judge issues a restraining order, compelling Karr to stay 100 yards away from his wife and three children for three years. Divorce is finalized.

2001 – December: A warrant was issued for Karr's arrest after authorities said he violated the terms of his supervised release.

2002 - April: California Commission on Teacher Credentialing suspended Karr's certification. No specific reason was given, but automatic suspensions are authorized when a complaint, information or indictment is filed in court alleging the teacher has committed an offense specified in the Education Code.

Leila said:
Will the coverage of the John Karr case in California continue on the JonBenet board, or will a new board be created for that case? I suspect that there are many, including myself, that will be interested in following this to it's conclusion, hopefully with a conviction and prison sentence in California.
JMK has had his 15 minutes of fame. The only thing I want to hear about him is that he was found guilty and is serving the appropriate time in prison on the charges.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back