CA - Child *advertiser censored* charges against John Mark Karr dismissed

Leila said:
I would suspect that Sonoma authorities will extraditie John Karr back to California sometime in the next few days or next week. Unlike Colorado, thier case against John Karr is there waiting, put on hold for five years when Karr left.

Will the coverage of the John Karr case in California continue on the JonBenet board, or will a new board be created for that case? I suspect that there are many, including myself, that will be interested in following this to it's conclusion, hopefully with a conviction and prison sentence in California.
Great question, Leila! I, too, would like to follow this to it's conclusion.

The difference is, he'll be found guilty of the child *advertiser censored* and have to go be Bubba's "lil woman" (although he might like it, come to think of it)....but in CO he was living out a fantasy knowing the DNA wouldn't match. :loser:

Rocky said:
Can we fly parents in from Bangkok of children he raped and murdered?

Doesn't the more serious charges come first in the International court of law?
Good question. I'm not sure the international court of law you refer to really exists. I think he'd have to be a genocidal murderer or something.

CaliKid said:
JMK has had his 15 minutes of fame. The only thing I want to hear about him is that he was found guilty and is serving the appropriate time in prison on the charges.

he will get 5 years parolled in 2 and a slap on the hand in California.

I want him sent back to Bangkok to stand trial for the little girl he killed.

I looked into this sick freaks head...

the true crime will be letting this man be punished for child *advertiser censored* and not any of his real crimes...

Rocky said:

I want him sent back to Bangkok to stand trial for the little girl he killed.
I didn't hear about the little girl, but if it's true, sounds fair to me.

Rocky said:
The *advertiser censored* charges were misdemeanors, but I imagine they'll throw additional charges at him for fleeing to escape prosecution. Maybe those will be felonies and they can keep in in jail longer.

cricket said:
The *advertiser censored* charges were misdemeanors, but I imagine they'll throw additional charges at him for fleeing to escape prosecution. Maybe those will be felonies and they can keep in in jail longer.
CA has a change in the law going through the CA legislature right now; it will change some pedo charges, that were formerly misdemeanors, to felonies.

Buzzm1 said:
CA has a change in the law going through the CA legislature right now; it will change some pedo charges, that were formerly misdemeanors, to felonies.
Unfortunately it's too late to treat Captain Highpants with the new law!

"He figured with all those homeless, and all those lost souls in San Francisco, that he could lead them and really become something big doing that," Melfa said

Appears, he has been trying to do something big forever!

LaMer said:
"He figured with all those homeless, and all those lost souls in San Francisco, that he could lead them and really become something big doing that," Melfa said

Appears, he has been trying to do something big forever!
We CA folks are hoping that after Bubba, and his friends, give JMK a big sendoff in 3, or 4, years,, that he will decide that Alabama, or Georgia, are far safer places for him, to loiter.

False Confessions
Why did John Mark Karr claim he killed JonBenet Ramsey? And why did prosecutors arrest him on such flimsy evidence?

Newsweek
Updated: 4:03 p.m. PT Aug 29, 2006
Aug. 29, 2006 - Trip DeMuth was extremely concerned. When the former Boulder, Colo. prosecutor who investigated the 1996 JonBenet Ramsey murder case learned last week that suspect John Mark Karr had been arrested only five days after investigators learned his name, DeMuth was afraid the whole case was based on Karr’s own confession. But confessions aren’t very reliable unless they contain inside information only known to a killer, and DeMuth also knew that virtually all the evidence had leaked to the public—and to someone who falsely claimed to be the killer. “I concluded back then that there was no way to trust a confession,” DeMuth told NEWSWEEK last Friday.

DeMuth was right: Karr’s own statements were all prosecutors had. On Monday afternoon, Boulder District attorney Mary Lacy announced that she wouldn’t file charges against Karr for the brutal December 1996 killing of 6-year-old JonBenet. After 12 days of a media circus that started with Karr’s arrest in Bangkok August 16 and finished with Karr a prisoner in a Boulder jail cell, Lacy conceded that she found no meaningful evidence linking Karr to the murder. “His DNA does not match that found in the victim’s blood in her underwear,” Lacy wrote in a motion to overturn Karr’s arrest. Prosecutors, she wrote, “would not be able to establish that Mr. Karr committed this crime despite his repeated insistence that he did.”

Dennis Schroeder / AP-pool
DA Lacy: ‘There was a real public safety concern here’
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karr certainly looked like a promising suspect. In court filings released this week, Lacy confirmed that the hunt started in April with increasingly suspicious email exchanges between an anonymous man calling himself “Daxis” and University of Colorado journalism professor Michael Tracey, who has produced three television documentaries on the case. The emails led to 11 phone calls between Tracey and Karr, which were eventually traced to Bangkok. On August 3, investigators arranged with Tracey for him to ship a photo of JonBenet to a Mail Boxes Etc branch in Bangkok in order to learn his identity. Thai police traced him to an apartment building, and investigators finally learned the identity of Tracey’s correspondent on August 11. They arrested him five days later.

Karr’s confessions ranged from the emails to police interviews whose contents remain unknown. But he famously implicated himself talking to reporters in Bangkok shortly after his arrest. He said then that he’d been with the Ramsey child when she died, that her death was an accident.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14575118/site/newsweek/

POSTED: 6:00 pm PDT August 29, 2006
UPDATED: 7:36 pm PDT August 29, 2006

SANTA ROSA -- A Colorado judge on Tuesday ordered John Mark Karr sent to Sonoma County to face child *advertiser censored* charges, while local authorities said they would re-examine his computer for more illicit images.

The extradition order came a day after prosecutors in Colorado abruptly dropped their case against Karr in the slaying of JonBenet Ramsey, saying DNA tests failed to put him at the crime scene despite his insistence he sexually assaulted and strangled the 6-year-old beauty queen.Karr is being held in a Boulder jail until he can be sent back to Santa Rosa to face five misdemeanor child *advertiser censored* charges.

District Judge Roxanne Bailin in Boulder ordered Karr sent to California by Sept. 13, saying he had violated terms of his bond in that state by failing to show up for a hearing on the *advertiser censored* charges.

Meanwhile, at a Sonoma County court hearing, a prosecutor and a lawyer for the sheriff's department called the Karr investigation "ongoing," and said deputies have asked for a new warrant to search Karr's hard drive because technology has advanced in the five years since the original probe.If convicted, Karr could get a year in prison on each count.

But authorities may want to push for more jail time if investigators turn up new evidence from Karr's computer.New information also came to light Tuesday about the sharing of information about Karr between California and Colorado.

Sonoma County sheriff's officials have said they forwarded information about Karr to Boulder authorities back in 2001 because of his apparent fascination with the 1996 murder of JonBenet. While he stopped short of confessing, they said he made "uncertain allusions to placing himself in the killer's role," arousing their suspicions.

However, Tom Bennett, chief investigator for the Boulder County district attorney's office disputed that Tuesday, saying he didn't learn of Karr's possible connection to JonBenet until earlier this month. more at link:http://www.ktvu.com/news/9759188/detail.html

Is there any truth to another posters comments a out a child in Thailands death.anyone hear have any info?

Buzzm1 said:
We CA folks are hoping that after Bubba, and his friends, give JMK a big sendoff in 3, or 4, years,, that he will decide that Alabama, or Georgia, are far safer places for him, to loiter.
If he makes it out of jail....
I bet alot of people are going to just love to see him....:bang:

Buzzm1 said:
SONOMA JUDGE WON'T UNSEAL KARR ARREST DOCUMENTS
08/29/06 5:15 PDT
SANTA ROSA (BCN)

A Sonoma County Superior Court judge refused this afternoon to unseal documents regarding the 2001 arrest of John Mark Karr in Sonoma County on five misdemeanor charges of possession of child *advertiser censored*.

The documents were sealed earlier this month after Karr became a suspect in the murder of JonBenet Ramsey. He is no longer being prosecuted in Colorado for the 6-year-old beauty pageant contestant's murder in December 1996.

Judge Cerena Wong denied a motion by Bay Area media outlets to unseal documents in support of a search warrant and Karr's arrest. Rachel Matteo-Boehm, attorney for the media, said unsealing the documents does not mean Karr can't get a fair trial and that the California standard for sealing the documents is "exceedingly high.''

Matteo-Boehm said the public and the press have a First Amendment right to know what is in the documents that support Karr's arrest.

The judge made her ruling after viewing the documents during a closed hearing with Sgt. Robert Giordano of the Sonoma County Sheriff's Department and Deputy County Counsel Anne Keck.

It was disclosed during the court hearing that the Sheriff's Department has re-opened its investigation of Karr on the *advertiser censored* charges. Giordano would not comment on the scope of the re-opened investigation.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Joan Risse said new technology has allowed a more thorough examination of Karr's computer on which the *advertiser censored* was allegedly found five years ago.

Wong said the overriding considerations to support keeping the documents sealed include Karr's and the prosecution's right to a fair trial before an impartial jury and Karr's presumption of innocence. Wong also cited the ongoing investigation by the Sheriff's Department.

Matteo-Boehm also argued that names of alleged underage victims and witnesses in the documents could be redacted to shield their identity before the documents were unsealed. Wong said her review of the documents showed that was not possible and the identities could still be discerned.

http://cbs5.com/localwire/localfsnews/bcn/2006/08/29/n/HeadlineNews/KARR/resources_bcn_html
The final paragraph states that "Matteo-Boehm also argued that names of alleged underage victims and witnesses in the documents could be redacted to shield thier identity before the documents were unsealed. Wong said her review of the documents showed that was not possible and the identities could still be discerned.

I was under the impression that the child *advertiser censored* charges were in regards to photos found on Karr's computer. I wasn't aware that there were "underage victims and witnesses." Does anyone know what Karr allegedly did in Sonoma County that would include victims?

kazzbar said:
Is there any truth to another posters comments a out a child in Thailands death.anyone hear have any info?
I think its a joke that he would even try fighting it-what a total loser-and some think he is simply a mental case-how can he just be a victim of his own life and then fight extradition for charges he knows he is guilty of or could have that proven - why would he want to stay in boulder but not return to his other charges..loser-loser-loser..they need to look at every possible loophole to charge him with to extend his time in jail.
I am pretty sure he can get 6 years for his charges and at least one year for fleeing..even if u are found innocent u cannot flee in the first place and get no charges.
They need to give him any jail time possible -he is such a loser.

>>>>"I was under the impression that the child *advertiser censored* charges were in regards to photos found on Karr's computer. I wasn't aware that there were "underage victims and witnesses." Does anyone know what Karr allegedly did in Sonoma County that would include victims?"<<<<

The children depicted in the child *advertiser censored* photos ARE victims.

Leila said:
The final paragraph states that "Matteo-Boehm also argued that names of alleged underage victims and witnesses in the documents could be redacted to shield thier identity before the documents were unsealed. Wong said her review of the documents showed that was not possible and the identities could still be discerned.

I was under the impression that the child *advertiser censored* charges were in regards to photos found on Karr's computer. I wasn't aware that there were "underage victims and witnesses." Does anyone know what Karr allegedly did in Sonoma County that would include victims?
yes, I would like to know also.Were they pictures of students he had taken or poor day care victims he looked after.This is all murky.II also heard the victims were clothed. heard the pictures were deleted and on the hard drive of his laptop.
What about witnessess.I figured they were just nasty photos of anonomous victims off the Netbut this is not correct.
Did he take these ugly pictures?

I wonder if Karr's mental state will have an impact on sentencing charges in CA. (The charges are also only misdemeanors.) A good attorney could certainly use his fixation with JB to prove he wasn't competent.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back