CA CA - Ember Graham, 7 mos, Happy Valley, 2 July 2015 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering how much "cash" he stole from mom ? Has that ever been disclosed ?

Where's he sleeping tonight?

Maybe he is planning a long swim down the Sacramento River during the night. That's my guess.

Interesting thought. I can't stop looking at both I-5 and the Sacramento River when I look at those maps. The way he's headed so far has been North whereas the river would take him back South, but it's not like he's traveled all that far so who knows.

HOW do they not have this guy yet?? :tantrum:

I hear ya - and he's on foot . My only guess is that LE is aware of his location and are waiting for the wee hours to ambush in order to reduce risk to the public. I hope he's captured tonight - I fear he's going to go into someone's home. So far thank goodness he hasn't harmed those he came into contact. He could have asked for more money at the gas station or stole items. Because at this point - he really doesn't have much to lose .

It could be that's what he always gets when he goes to the store.

This is going to sound really silly, but I've noticed at the convenience stores Gatorade and Powerade tend to alternate being on sale where it's significantly cheaper per-drink to buy two of them (i.e. $1.79 apiece, or two for $2). My husband's a big Gatorade drinker and we joke about it anytime we're on a road trip and he wants Gatorade.

[redacted] said she first noticed a man walking fast and fiddling with cigarettes. He almost ran into her, within an arm's reach.

He stepped back and then quickly walked in to the bushes

She thought he looked like Matthew Graham, 23, who is being sought in a manhunt after he allegedly stole his mother's gun and cash.

She almost asked him if he was Graham, but thought better of it. Instead, she went into her nearby home and looked up his photo. Then, she realized who he was, she said.

"That was him," she said.

http://www.redding.com/news/local-news/graham-on-the-lam-sheriff-says_71911643

Yikes. I'm glad she thought better of saying anything to him! I get the feeling he might be very easily spooked. And even though he hasn't stolen a vehicle or taken a hostage and forced them to drive him somewhere so far, I could see it happening if something panicked him.

Amazing, really, what risks he was willing to take for cigarettes.

Like with those two guys in New York last month who broke out of prison, the main focus should be GETTING OUT OF THERE. Put all your resources into getting away from there, on foot or with a stolen car or bike.

It sounds like they'll have him very soon.

This is what I keep thinking and what's really confusing me. For how long he's been gone and the resources he has at his disposal he could have gotten a lot farther by now. I-5 is right there, surely he could have picked up a ride that could ultimately lead just about anywhere. He could easily be in another state, possibly even Canada or Mexico if he was so inclined (although I'm sure they're watching for him). It also seems like he wouldn't be using his ID to buy cigs for example if he was trying to really lay low. I don't know how much money he's got, but even $20 could get him a ride from someone on I-5 who doesn't recognize him and is headed somewhere anyway.

This is going to sound really silly, but I've noticed at the convenience stores Gatorade and Powerade tend to alternate being on sale where it's significantly cheaper per-drink to buy two of them (i.e. $1.79 apiece, or two for $2). My husband's a big Gatorade drinker and we joke about it anytime we're on a road trip and he wants Gatorade.

I don't think it sounds silly at all! This is why I usually get two Coke Zeros. They know how to hook us with that "buy two and save!"

So, we know this guy isn't going very far, and he isn't hiding all that well. I keep asking myself why??? Various ideas I've had:

- Familiar enough with the area that he doesn't want to fully leave.

- Wants to be near his daughter, if he knows where she is. I suspect she's not alive, but could be alive or not in this scenario.

- Looking for someone or something. Someone to help him? Someone who he thinks has or hurt Ember? Ember herself?

- Trying to stay near his wife, ex-GF, and/or son (who I think lives a few hours away based on posts from MG's personal facebook, but not too terribly far), and/or other family.

- Maybe he realizes he can get in a lot more trouble than he already is. So far he's a felon in posession of a weapon, and he missed a couple of appointments with his parole officer. Maybe some new drug charges although I don't recall seeing those mentioned in MSM. He may have the resources (money, gun) to get a vehicle of some sort, but adding kidnapping, grand theft auto, and whatever else could be added is certainly worse. (especially if he didn't do anything to Ember). Wild guess but I doubt his Mom will press charges for the theft from her home. Even if she did, from what's been reported so far it's relatively minor - I haven't seen anything reporting that he hurt her, threatened her, broke in, etc.

- Really doesn't realize how big the search is for him? I don't know how he could think that, but maybe. The fact that he used his ID makes me think he doesn't quite get it. He could have very easily done the whole "oh shoot I forgot my ID" and probably gotten the cigs anyway.

- Suicide plans, or suicide by cop? I honestly don't think he would have bothered to take the money in this case, but maybe. I could also see it being his "backup plan" if whatever he's planning/attempting to plan doesn't work out.

- Or...doesn't have a plan and wants time to think and figure one out?

- Less likely IMO, but given the fact that he was willing to risk buying cigarettes, maybe... he's got drug connections nearby so he can continue to get his wax or whatever. (and really, the odds of his drug connections turning him in are slim).

- or.... ?????? I just think it's so strange considering how much time he's had to be way, way out of that area.

What's the legal age for buying cigarettes over there? And does everyone have to present ID when buying cigs, regardless of how old they appear?

What's the legal age for buying cigarettes over there? And does everyone have to present ID when buying cigs, regardless of how old they appear?

18 is the legal age, and technically they are supposed to ask for ID if you look under 27. I've also seen a number of places that say they'll ask for ID if you look under 30 or even 35. The official poster and guidelines say 27 (here's a reference: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/tob...Control Laws booklet- Rev. Proof 01-22-13.pdf).

Realistically... eh... it seems like enforcement of this varies a lot. I've seen kids that looked barely old enough to drive buy cigarettes on their own, without ID being checked. I imagine Shell stations are probably a little more likely to enforce the rules than some of the out of the way, non-chain type markets. ETA: and I really don't think most places follow the "age 27" rule unless either they've gotten busted before, or the person looks really young. From looking at MG's pictures I'm surprised they checked ID.

So, we know this guy isn't going very far, and he isn't hiding all that well. I keep asking myself why??? Various ideas I've had:

- Familiar enough with the area that he doesn't want to fully leave.

- Wants to be near his daughter, if he knows where she is. I suspect she's not alive, but could be alive or not in this scenario.

- Looking for someone or something. Someone to help him? Someone who he thinks has or hurt Ember? Ember herself?

- Trying to stay near his wife, ex-GF, and/or son (who I think lives a few hours away based on posts from MG's personal facebook, but not too terribly far), and/or other family.

- Maybe he realizes he can get in a lot more trouble than he already is. So far he's a felon in posession of a weapon, and he missed a couple of appointments with his parole officer. Maybe some new drug charges although I don't recall seeing those mentioned in MSM. He may have the resources (money, gun) to get a vehicle of some sort, but adding kidnapping, grand theft auto, and whatever else could be added is certainly worse. (especially if he didn't do anything to Ember). Wild guess but I doubt his Mom will press charges for the theft from her home. Even if she did, from what's been reported so far it's relatively minor - I haven't seen anything reporting that he hurt her, threatened her, broke in, etc.

- Really doesn't realize how big the search is for him? I don't know how he could think that, but maybe. The fact that he used his ID makes me think he doesn't quite get it. He could have very easily done the whole "oh shoot I forgot my ID" and probably gotten the cigs anyway.

- Suicide plans, or suicide by cop? I honestly don't think he would have bothered to take the money in this case, but maybe. I could also see it being his "backup plan" if whatever he's planning/attempting to plan doesn't work out.

- Or...doesn't have a plan and wants time to think and figure one out?

- Less likely IMO, but given the fact that he was willing to risk buying cigarettes, maybe... he's got drug connections nearby so he can continue to get his wax or whatever. (and really, the odds of his drug connections turning him in are slim).

- or.... ?????? I just think it's so strange considering how much time he's had to be way, way out of that area.

All great theories. I still can't believe he didn't get further either. And to walk into that store like that. He could have bummed cigs from someone - still risky but not as much as the food mart. He has to know cameras are inevitable there. I would say based on your list - he doesn't have a plan or is waiting to make a drastic move.

I gather this is someone whose habits and lifestyle choices have held him back. He doesn't seem to care about working or having running water . Seems to be content numbing himself and drifting along . I think those same habits will prevent him from making any kind of strategic plan to get him further unless an opportunity is thrown in his lap...unattended bike, open car etc. I believe he has experience with cars / mechanics so he may be able to start one up but still stays on foot.

Wow, 6 extra pages since I went to bed last night and I am now all caught up! Can't believe he still hasn't been caught but could that be deliberate? The longer he is left alone the more possibility he may lead LE to Ember (same as taking off the tag gave him a false sense of security). He's a puzzle this guy - either he's
1. Incredibly stupid
2. Messed-up by drug use (normal thought processes are diminished)
3. Innocent
4. Waiting around to meet someone who has Ember

Otherwise, why hasn't he made a complete run for it & left the area?

Updated story, I think? I don't remember seeing all of this before.

http://www.redding.com/news/graham-seen-in-shasta-lake-in-second-day-of-manhunt_83578281

Armed with assault rifles and police dogs, authorities swarmed the small city of Shasta Lake on Sunday afternoon in the second day of the manhunt for Matthew Graham, a "person of interest" in his infant daughter's disappearance.

<snip>

[at the convenience store] She didn't see a gun, but she did see a knife, she said.

<snip>

There were unconfirmed reports on the scanners that after his encounter with the store in Shasta Lake, Graham stole a gray minivan.

Wow, 6 extra pages since I went to bed last night and I am now all caught up! Can't believe he still hasn't been caught but could that be deliberate? The longer he is left alone the more possibility he may lead LE to Ember (same as taking off the tag gave him a false sense of security). He's a puzzle this guy - either he's
1. Incredibly stupid
2. Messed-up by drug use (normal thought processes are diminished)
3. Innocent
4. Waiting around to meet someone who has Ember

Otherwise, why hasn't he made a complete run for it & left the area?

I'm going with 2 and 3. I don't mean that he is "innocent" of harming Ember, but at this point, I don't think it was deliberate. I think number 2 (messed up by drug use which includes thinking only of his own needs) has been the driving force from the moment he had her in his care.

This made me LOL. My mom refers to my children as "this" or "that" often when they're infants and toddlers, as in "here, hold this," or "are you going to change that before we leave?" She hasn't tried to kill them yet either. She's very loving, she's just not that great with names or pronouns. :p :)

I bet she'd get real good with names real quick if it was her 7 month old infant who went missing from her crib in the night. You know context is important. A parent referring to their just-missing precious baby as "it" is damned significant. It's simply not the same as a quirky or funny or generally rude parent who is messing around with pronouns. This is a very sobering and desperately frightening event. That a father would refer to his child as "it" in such a moment is devastating in its significance, no matter what cute familial anecdotes we can all come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member