CA CA - Gayle Marks, 18, Stockton, 18 Oct 1988

Or how about ppl served the same day at that DMV cross referenced???? Wouldnt those records still be around?

Gayle's mother has a petition on her website for people to sign to try to get the show aired on America's Most Wanted. Apparently they declined to run Gayle's story and the petition was created to try to get them to change their minds. AMW does have a story about Gayle on their website. I provided the links for Gayle's website and her story on AMW below. Whoever reads this update, please go the site and sign the petition so they will run Gayle's story on AMW. Thanks.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/GayleMarks/

http://www.amw.com/missing_persons/brief.cfm?id=33169

I am wondering after reading Gayle's mom's page, if AMW would still run it when the police suspect Shermantine and Herzog of this disappearance.

I personally think this story needs to be aired, there is a good possibility that people out there saw something. The longer time goes on, people will forget , if they saw anything.

Gayle could have been picked up as in offered a ride from one or both of them and there was nothing suspicious that would stick out in people's minds to make them remember this event from any other.

If Shermantine and Herzog or one or the other is suspected, I would hope the police have done what they can to try and prove this, but with out solid evidence it is hard. If either will not admit to it, then there may be a stand still.

just my thoughts

I am wondering after reading Gayle's mom's page, if AMW would still run it when the police suspect Shermantine and Herzog of this disappearance.

I personally think this story needs to be aired, there is a good possibility that people out there saw something. The longer time goes on, people will forget , if they saw anything.

Gayle could have been picked up as in offered a ride from one or both of them and there was nothing suspicious that would stick out in people's minds to make them remember this event from any other.

If Shermantine and Herzog or one or the other is suspected, I would hope the police have done what they can to try and prove this, but with out solid evidence it is hard. If either will not admit to it, then there may be a stand still.

just my thoughts

My bold

I agree. They haven't proved if Shermantine and Herzog were involved in Gayle's disppearance so they need to get the story out there in front of millions of viewers. Someone may remember something after seeing Gayle's picture.

Bumping for Gayle...

October 18th will be the 21st anniversary of her disappearance.

Again, if anyone will take the time to go to her Mom's website and sign the petition to get Gayle's story aired on America's Most Wanted, it would be much appreciated.

Hi Everyone,
Im a criminal justice student and i stumbled across this site and then this case. I was born and raised in stockton,ca and lived there most of my life. I never heard of this case at all. My mom has worked at the DMV in stockton for 20+ years and my dad is a parole agent in the city. Believe it or not, there is no type of video survillance. It's located in the central area of stockton which is not a good area of stockton at all. The mental health offices are not that far from DMV as well. I would say about 7-10min walk. Its basically down the street and around the corner. A time line would be great to work with here. The only thing i came across on another site was that she had to be to work at 5pm. I wonder what time she was with her mother at her job and what time she left from there to head over to DMV? She obviously applied for a license/i.d. and took a picture which that shouldnt have took no longer than 1hr. Back then atleast it wouldnt have taken as long as it takes now. I also read that she called her parents house and left a message saying she was just calling or checking in or something.

It also says she called her mother at work and her mother missed the call the operator said.I wonder what time those phone calls were placed and where she made the calls from. I just dont understand why i havent read or heard anything like an anniversity of the time she has been missing or her birthday. Seems like the Stockton Record Newpaper should do some sort of update or something. Seems like through the years i should had also heard my dad discussing it with my mom since she worked at the place she was last seen at. He was always telling her and my siblings to be careful of our surroundings.

Hi Everyone,
Im a criminal justice student and i stumbled across this site and then this case. I was born and raised in stockton,ca and lived there most of my life. I never heard of this case at all. My mom has worked at the DMV in stockton for 20+ years and my dad is a parole agent in the city. Believe it or not, there is no type of video survillance. It's located in the central area of stockton which is not a good area of stockton at all. The mental health offices are not that far from DMV as well. I would say about 7-10min walk. Its basically down the street and around the corner. A time line would be great to work with here. The only thing i came across on another site was that she had to be to work at 5pm. I wonder what time she was with her mother at her job and what time she left from there to head over to DMV? She obviously applied for a license/i.d. and took a picture which that shouldnt have took no longer than 1hr. Back then atleast it wouldnt have taken as long as it takes now. I also read that she called her parents house and left a message saying she was just calling or checking in or something.

It also says she called her mother at work and her mother missed the call the operator said.I wonder what time those phone calls were placed and where she made the calls from. I just dont understand why i havent read or heard anything like an anniversity of the time she has been missing or her birthday. Seems like the Stockton Record Newpaper should do some sort of update or something. Seems like through the years i should had also heard my dad discussing it with my mom since she worked at the place she was last seen at. He was always telling her and my siblings to be careful of our surroundings.

Welcome to WS!

I don't think there has been much press for Gayle's disappearance at all. I happened to see it on Charley Project and then found the link here. I've been to her Mom's website several times since then to see if there have been any updates. Her Mom's e-mail address is at the very bottom of the home page of her website.

I don't think she would mind if you contacted her to get a better idea of the timeline the day Gayle disappeared. This is one of the cases I keep track of because her Mom seems so nice and I feel so bad for her. It seems she hits a roadblock at every turn when she tries to get help investigating Gayle's disappearance. She's still trying to collect enough signatures on her website to get Gayle's story on America's Most Wanted.

There's also a guestbook on there you can sign, and maybe ask some questions if you don't want to contact her directly. Thanks for your interest in the case.

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah i think im going to go ahead and email the Gayle's mother and see what she says. Thanks for the heads-up

The DMV id didn't come until May of 1989? Why so long? Also her mother was not even sure if Gayle had gone to the DMV or not until she received it??? Unbelievable. The cops and investigators could have found out for sure immediately and let her know if Gayle was there or not. Wow. Talk about lax. FIND her FIRST and then ask Gayle if she minds having her civil rights violated by telling her mother here whereabouts. At least locate her first as a missing person before worrying about her civil rights........sigh.

"This is a copy of the California I.D. card that Gayle had gone to the Department of Motor Vehicles to get that day. This did not come in the mail until May 1989. So I didn't know for sure if she had gone there or not. Because the police were still saying that she could have left on her own had she wanted to because she was 18 and considered an adult and her civil rights would have been violated. "
That is on the website that her mom has, you just have to click on the ID link.

I have been wondering about a Shermantine connection also. There is very little info on Gayle Marks case. This suprises me because she was a beautiful young blonde and that usually grabs attention from the media. From what info is available it seems very plausible that Shermantine/Herzog could be involved. As you said the timeline is right and she is from Stockton.

I also believe she was their victim, everything falls into place.

Heart breaking, for both families, but maybe theyll finally have answers.

I am starting to believe she might be connected to Shermantine and Herzog. As many others have said, she fits the time and place, and they obviously have more victims than the ones they admit. Nobody kills 6 people in a 10+ year rampage.

I hope Gayle's mother is able to find the answers she's looking for.

Video of Gayle Marks' mother-she explains her frustration on the delay of investigation since Gayle was 18 when she vanished, as well as her difficulty getting Gayle's face out in the media.
http://youtu.be/o3NknT-emn0

Gayle's case has always spoken to me as well. The lack of detail makes the case so mysterious. I found her mother's blog and was heartbroken that she was not getting the help she needed. How devastating.

I just recently visited the blog after a long absence and learned that Gayle's dissappearace could be related to speed freak killers, Wesley Shermantine and Loren Herzog. I thought Gayle would finally receive justice. But, Gayle's mother mentions she wrote to Shermantine and never heard from, and doesn't believe he was involved.

What happened to this young woman? Why don't we know if the friend Gayle was supposed to meet was questioned? What do you think was learned from this person? I even did a Google map/view of the walk Gayle would have taken from her mother's job to the DMV- not the nicest of areas and plenty of opportunites for someone to follow her and wait. Also, how was Gayle intending to get to work? Was she going to walk? Long periods of walking in maybe an unsafe area would give the wrong person the right opportunity .

I sincerely hope that Gayle's mother get the assistance and closure she so desperately needs. My heart goes out to her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back