CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
At lunchtime today, I listened to a podcast about a missing mother, presumed dead, and disappeared by her husband. It was the narrator stating "if you can't care about a mother that was suddenly wiped from the earth, what can you care about?" -- what I remember most. And thank you, @SpideySense -- as a WS old-timer (2013), I will never forget you introducing me to 'types' of lighting. :)
Awwww :)

I have no idea what a mute point is. (Although I think it might be related to towing the line.) But if you felt too shy to relieve yourself in your husband’s presence, wouldn’t it be simpler to just ask him to look the other way for a minute?

Besides, this IS a moot point. It was only brought up in the first place as an explanation for a misunderstanding.
MOO
Personally no, I would rather go some distance away.
And it’s not to do with shyness he was there as I gave birth- it’s courtesy!

I don't know if this will be helpful, but it seems to me, looking at his AllTrails account, that he liked challenging terrain. These hikes he's covered look steep and long. We don't know if he did most of these on his own, or with his wife. They were 4-5 months ago, so I doubt he brought the baby along.
https://www.alltrails.com/members/jonathan-gerrish

Did someone earlier have an address for their house near Hite's Cove? I thought I saw a street named on an earlier thread.

They lived in Carleton Rd.

There have been two home locations mentioned in these threads. One was located ‘near the trail’ and the other was Carleton road (20ish min away). If sleuths are looking up public record info, it’s my understanding they owned rental properties in the area, and I don’t know that their actual residence address has been confirmed.

Mariposa County Sheriff: ‘I’ve never seen a death like this’ | YourCentralValley.com
‘A friend of Gerrish and Chung’s said off-camera that the couple owned multiple rental properties in Mariposa.’

Respectfully, I don't think switchbacks make hiking easier. They are designed to have lower impact on the environment & help trail users cope better with the terrain by having an established path that is not just one way. "Easier" is very subjective.
RSBM
I don't know what you define as a switchback, but of course they are intended to make the trail easier: a near direct vertical ascent or descent is extremely hard, not just in terms of energy output, but also on the joints and muscles.

What is a ”Switchback” in hiking?

ETA steep non-switchback trails would routinely cause me severe muscle soreness, so much that I could hardly walk for days.

Last edited:
There have been two home locations mentioned in these threads. One was located ‘near the trail’ and the other was Carleton road (20ish min away). If sleuths are looking up public record info, it’s my understanding they owned rental properties in the area, and I don’t know that their actual residence address has been confirmed.

Mariposa County Sheriff: ‘I’ve never seen a death like this’ | YourCentralValley.com
‘A friend of Gerrish and Chung’s said off-camera that the couple owned multiple rental properties in Mariposa.’
From what I see, their home sits in the middle of a forest and their backyard has a built in swimming pool. They were 21 minutes away from the trail.

RSBM
I don't know what you define as a switchback, but of course they are intended to make the trail easier: a near direct vertical ascent or descent is extremely hard, not just in terms of energy output, but also on the joints and muscles.

What is a ”Switchback” in hiking?

ETA steep non-switchback trails would routinely cause me severe muscle soreness, so much that I could hardly walk for days.
It says "the challenge that hikers encounter in climbing a switchback is to endure longer hours of hike due to longer trail. What hikers need is a strong endurance to finish the whole hike."

That doesn't sound easy to me, especially if it's the last part of a hike on an extremely hot day.

It says the challenge that hikers encounter in climbing a switchback is to endure longer hours of hike due to longer trail. What hikers need is a strong endurance to finish the whole hike.

That doesn't sound easy to me, especially if it's the last part of a hike on an extremely hot day.
I once did a hike that was straight down to a creek, then walk along the creek, and switchbacks to go back up. No way could we have gone back up the way we came. I said to my partner if we had done it in reverse going down the switchbacks, we would have had to go back up the same way without doing the loop.

They owned four properties in Mariposa, including one purchased recently in Jerseydale, not far from the trail. I think that's the most likely reason why they were hiking the trail that day.

It says "the challenge that hikers encounter in climbing a switchback is to endure longer hours of hike due to longer trail. What hikers need is a strong endurance to finish the whole hike."

No, it's not easy. But going straight up is even harder. Basically, it's like climbing a ladder vs climbing a staircase that turns at each landing.

Mariposa County Sheriff Jeremy Briese says there was no indication of blunt-force trauma on scene, and that this incident is a first in his 20 year career.

“I’ve worked in different capacities but I’ve never seen a death like this,” Briese said.

Has there been any discussion as to what the sheriff may have meant by this bolded statement? I’d love to hear opinions. It seems to have added mystery to the case IMO, but is it warranted? I have heard of multiple victims of heat stroke.

Last edited:

Has there been any discussion as to what the sheriff may have meant by this bolded statement? I’d love to hear opinions. It seems to have added mystery to the case IMO, but is it warranted? I have heard of multiple victims of heat stroke.
I assume he means he's never had a case in which a family of three and their dog were all found dead together with no obvious indication as to what happened.

“I’ve worked in different capacities but I’ve never seen a death like this,” Briese said.

As a matter of fact, if you go to the Sacbee Newslink at the bottom of this post, it will take you to the Sheriff where he explains exactly what he means in the first 30 seconds of the video.

CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg