CA CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have personally known 3 young men and 1 young girl from our little area who started smoking pot at very young teen ages (possible other drug experimenting as well, but smoked weed consistently). They were all good, smart kids, too, who unfortunately were around pot all the time due to the era (70s/80s) in rural Cali. I think pot messes with the developing brain. In all three cases the boys committed suicide in their later teens/early 20s after battling schizophrenic symptoms. The girl is schizophrenic, but alive. It is all unbearably sad when realizing it could have been avoided. So, I do wonder about Karlie and a mental break.

I have personally known 3 young men and 1 young girl from our little area who started smoking pot at very young teen ages (possible other drug experimenting as well, but smoked weed consistently). They were all good, smart kids, too, who unfortunately were around pot all the time due to the era (70s/80s) in rural Cali. I think pot messes with the developing brain. In all three cases the boys committed suicide in their later teens/early 20s after battling schizophrenic symptoms. The girl is schizophrenic, but alive. It is all unbearably sad when realizing it could have been avoided. So, I do wonder about Karlie and a mental break.

When I read your comment, I decided out of curiosity to do some quick Google searches on marijuana, its effect on the developing adolescent brain, and its potential link with schizophrenia. It's actually quite interesting.

"Recent research...has found that people who use marijuana and carry a specific variant of the AKT1 gene, which codes for an enzyme that affects dopamine signaling in the striatum, are at increased risk of developing psychosis. The striatum is an area of the brain that becomes activated and flooded with dopamine when certain stimuli are present. One study found that the risk of psychosis among those with this variant was seven times higher for those who used marijuana daily compared with those who used it infrequently or used none at all.

Another study found an increased risk of psychosis among adults who had used marijuana in adolescence and also carried a specific variant of the gene for catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT), an enzyme that degrades neurotransmitters such as dopamine and norepinephrine...Marijuana use has also been shown to worsen the course of illness in patients who already have schizophrenia. As mentioned previously, marijuana can produce an acute psychotic reaction in non-schizophrenic people who use marijuana, especially at high doses, although this fades as the drug wears off.

Inconsistent and modest associations have been reported between marijuana use and suicidal thoughts and attempted suicide among teens. Marijuana has also been associated with an amotivational syndrome, defined as a diminished or absent drive to engage in typically rewarding activities. Because of the role of the endocannabinoid system in regulating mood and reward, it has been hypothesized that brain changes resulting from early use of marijuana may underlie these associations, but more research is needed to verify that such links exist and better understand them." link

"There’s consistent evidence showing a relationship over time between heavy or repeated cannabis use (or those diagnosed with cannabis use disorder) and an experience of psychosis for the first time...

The heaviest users of cannabis are around four times as likely to develop schizophrenia (a psychotic disorder that affects a person’s ability to think, feel and behave clearly) than non-users. Even the “average cannabis user” (for which the definition varies from study to study) is around twice as likely as a non-user to develop a psychotic disorder.

Furthermore, these studies found a causal link between tetrahydrocannabinol (THC - the plant chemical which elicits the “stoned” experience) and psychosis. This means the link is not coincidental, and one has actually caused the other...

Those with these genetic variants who have also experienced childhood trauma, or have a paranoid personality type, are even more at-risk. So too are adolescents and young adults, who have growing brains and are at an age where schizophrenia is more likely to manifest." link

"Findings show study participants who began using marijuana at the age of 16 or younger demonstrated brain variations that indicate arrested brain development in the prefrontal cortex, the part of the brain responsible for judgment, reasoning and complex thinking. Individuals who started using marijuana after age 16 showed the opposite effect and demonstrated signs of accelerated brain aging." link

"For one thing, recent studies show that cannabinoids manufactured by our own nerve cells play a crucial role in wiring the brain, both prenatally and during adolescence. Throughout life they regulate appetite, sleep, emotion, memory and movement—which makes sense when you consider the effects of marijuana. There are “huge changes” in the concentration of these endocannabinoids during the teenage years, according to neurologist Yasmin Hurd of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, which is why she and others who study this system worry about the impact of casually dosing it with weed.

Brain-imaging studies reinforce this concern. A number of smallish studies have seen differences in the brains of habitual weed smokers, including altered connectivity between the hemispheres, inefficient cognitive processing in adolescent users, and a smaller amygdala and hippocampus—structures involved in emotional regulation and memory, respectively.

More evidence comes from research in animals. Rats given THC, the chemical that puts the high in marijuana, show persistent cognitive difficulties if exposed around the time of puberty—but not if they are exposed as adults." link

"The literature not only suggests neurocognitive disadvantages to using marijuana in the domains of attention and memory that persist beyond abstinence, but suggest possible macrostructural brain alterations (e.g., morphometry changes in gray matter tissue), changes in white matter tract integrity (e.g., poorer coherence in white matter fibers), and abnormalities of neural functioning (e.g., increased brain activation, changes in neurovascular functioning). Earlier initiation of marijuana use (e.g., before age 17) and more frequent use has also been associated with poorer outcome." link

Sorry for the long post. :confused:

I have real life experience of marijuana induced schizophrenia. My oldest son, 25, was a semi heavy marijuana smoker in his teens. Around age 22 he had a psychotic break. He was hospitalized and the psychiatrist said that people are genetically prone to it but in some people marijuana smoke in the developing brain triggers the onset. After thirty, it’s not a concern. When he was in psychosis, he was absolutely terrifying and completely paranoid. Panicked. Pacing. Distraught. Like an animal in a trap. You can usually see these breaks coming, they are preceded by depression, mood swings, anxiety etc. then they just.....break. It’s awful.

I have real life experience of marijuana induced schizophrenia. My oldest son, 25, was a semi heavy marijuana smoker in his teens. Around age 22 he had a psychotic break. He was hospitalized and the psychiatrist said that people are genetically prone to it but in some people marijuana smoke in the developing brain triggers the onset. After thirty, it’s not a concern. When he was in psychosis, he was absolutely terrifying and completely paranoid. Panicked. Pacing. Distraught. Like an animal in a trap. You can usually see these breaks coming, they are preceded by depression, mood swings, anxiety etc. then they just.....break. It’s awful.

There is a medical term for this C.I.P. Or Cannabis Induced Psychosis

There is a medical term for this C.I.P. Or Cannabis Induced Psychosis

True but this is more of the symptom or description of the event, not the long term implications. My son was dxd with schizophreniform (episodes of psychosis but for six ,on the and under) and the schizophrenia when it never went away.

On his initial break he was living with His dad in Ca. He called me in a panic, and wasn’t making sense. Thought family members were trying to kill him etc. I thought drugs. He wouldn’t go to the hospital or the police so I bought him a plane ticket to Seattle for that afternoon. Somehow someway he got through the airport, tsa and flight and my house. I then took him in to the hospital. He never told his dad, for weeks (until he was stable, released, etc), just left. His dad is totally iffy with his own mental health and never....Followed up but big huge if she did have a mental break, it’s possible to run. That being said, I don’t think ink that’s what happened, just sharing my experience because I hadn’t out those two together until the above comments.

P.S. my son lived with me for two years of hell. On meds, off meds. Odd behavior. Poor decision making (like stealing stuff, breaking into our house, thinking pedophiles were coming, criminal activity). Several arrests and hospitalizations. He’s great on meds but won’t stay on them. In Sept, he got on a bus back to his dads in Ca. Haven’t heard from him since. :(

SM states that she wasn’t alarmed because it was “just pot” and that’s why she didn’t take her to the hospital.

Karlie Guse Stepmom Admits: I Gave The Wrong Description Of My Daughter's Clothes Crime Stories With Nancy Grace podcast
Given that Karlie was a known MJ user to the point of prior school discipline/expulsion, the SM/Dad had to have seen her high enough times to know this reaction was different, and take appropriate action. Ignoring this as "only pot" should never have been an option. MOO

That very much seems like the case

So going from there...

What happened to Karlie??? If she wandered off in a psychotic state she would have been found or tracked by scent dogs??? She wasn’t

So what happened to Karlie??
No scent to track? Do we know if she ever was really in the house that night?

No scent to track? Do we know if she ever was really in the house that night?
Step mom, Dad and her two brothers were in the house that night and according to stepmom and Dad she was home all night and acting scared and panicky.

Karlie Guse Stepmom Admits: I Gave The Wrong Description Of My Daughter's Clothes Crime Stories With Nancy Grace podcast

"The ground search has concluded," the Mono County Sheriff's Office said in a statement. "For a week we searched on foot, in all-terrain vehicles, by helicopter, and with scent dogs. We searched both during the day and with heat-sensing equipment at night. We searched for miles in all directions."

Suspicious New Details About Karlie Guse, The Teen Who Has Been Missing For Two Weeks

SM states that she wasn’t alarmed because it was “just pot” and that’s why she didn’t take her to the hospital.

Only pot maybe but the behaviour would have been alarming enough to take her to the hospital even if there was nothing they could do but wait the anxiety went away, they could have sedated her til the symptoms wore off. Also if she had a much worse medical reaction they would have already been at the hospital. I don't know just based on the description given. pls edit if necessary JMO

can someone refresh my memory. I thought I read an article that she was suspended from school and had to take a class or some kind of counseling for marijuana however I can’t find anything on that now. All I can find is this. Does anyone recall being told about her being suspended and not being allowed back at school? What was her punishment for being caught under the influence in school?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re...-for-california-teen-karlie-guse-1519961/amp/

can someone refresh my memory. I thought I read an article that she was suspended from school and had to take a class or some kind of counseling for marijuana however I can’t find anything on that now. All I can find is this. Does anyone recall being told about her being suspended and not being allowed back at school? What was her punishment for being caught under the influence in school?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.re...-for-california-teen-karlie-guse-1519961/amp/

It appears most of the relevant information comes from the two Nancy Grace podcast episodes and the Gray Hughs YouTube video:

“Bio mom says the sighting is NOT confirmed to be Karlie and she doesn't think it was Karlie. Neighbor in a hot tub saw a teen walking with a piece of paper in her hand. Step mom said it was Karlie's counseling paper? But bio mom pointed out that there was no school on Sat so that doesn't make sense.“
CA - CA - Karlie Lain Gusé, 16, Mono County, 13 Oct 2018

“If we can discuss what Lindsay Fairley divulged on the Nancy Grace podcast... can we talk about the piece of paper the hot tub neighbor saw a young woman carrying?

Melissa’s explanation to Lindsay was that Karlie was in a counseling group at school and Karlie was adamant to have that paper back. Had Melissa taken it away from her? What was on the paper? I’m wildly speculating that it had contact information for the counselor who ran the group and maybe Karlie wanted it so she could get in touch with a counselor.

I also suspect Karlie didn’t have her phone because it was taken away from her as punishment.* For my teen, it’s the only thing she cares about, so we have taken her phone away for the evening on a few occasions. If she wasn’t able to use her phone, she may have left with the paper so she could call her counselor?”

“Bio Mom states that KG was suspended from school for a month because of cannabis use, and was attending counseling on school property during suspension. (Mom was interviewed by Gray Hughes 10/25/18).”

You can listen to the NG podcasts here:
Where is Karlie Gusé ? Desperate search for young girl intensifies as mystery surrounds how, why she disappeared

Link to the @grayhuze YouTube video:

It appears most of the relevant information comes from the two Nancy Grace podcast episodes and the Gray Hughs YouTube video:

“Bio mom says the sighting is NOT confirmed to be Karlie and she doesn't think it was Karlie. Neighbor in a hot tub saw a teen walking with a piece of paper in her hand. Step mom said it was Karlie's counseling paper? But bio mom pointed out that there was no school on Sat so that doesn't make sense.“

“If we can discuss what Lindsay Fairley divulged on the Nancy Grace podcast... can we talk about the piece of paper the hot tub neighbor saw a young woman carrying?

Melissa’s explanation to Lindsay was that Karlie was in a counseling group at school and Karlie was adamant to have that paper back. Had Melissa taken it away from her? What was on the paper? I’m wildly speculating that it had contact information for the counselor who ran the group and maybe Karlie wanted it so she could get in touch with a counselor.

I also suspect Karlie didn’t have her phone because it was taken away from her as punishment.* For my teen, it’s the only thing she cares about, so we have taken her phone away for the evening on a few occasions. If she wasn’t able to use her phone, she may have left with the paper so she could call her counselor?”

“Bio Mom states that KG was suspended from school for a month because of cannabis use, and was attending counseling on school property during suspension. (Mom was interviewed by Gray Hughes 10/25/18).”

You can listen to the NG podcasts here:
Where is Karlie Gusé ? Desperate search for young girl intensifies as mystery surrounds how, why she disappeared

Link to the @grayhuze YouTube video:

Is it possible she met someone else in counseling who was also into drugs. Did her counselor ever hear from her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member