Still Missing CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996 *arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2011, "I requested a complete review of all the physical evidence that had ever been taken in the [Smart] case," said San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Ian Parkinson at a news conference. "In late 2016, we discovered additional evidence that confirmed that Paul was the suspect in the disappearance."
Over 40 search warrants had been executed at 16 locations over the years, according to Parkinson. So much evidence had been compiled that it would fill three terabytes on a computer hard drive, Parkinson estimated.
He added that the information produced was "valuable" and led to new evidence which allowed detectives to secure a court order to intercept Flores' calls and text messages. bbm
Kristin Smart disappearance: Two men arrested in case, authorities say

*So, it took 15 years to get the case reviewed. Five more to sleuth the evidence. Another five to score a wire to finally tap his *advertiser censored**. Let’s hope the old adage holds true. I won’t hold my breath. “The wheels of justice turn slowly, but grind exceedingly fine.” Justice is such a slow process these days, I wonder how anything ever gets decided at all. I’d really like to see the finest of details in this case. I hope all those i’s are dotted and those t’s are crossed. And make dang sure the dude makes it alive to the trial. No sleeping on the job...

*2016 evidence?

BBM was that there before? i totally agree fwiw but shocked he said that.

I have been waiting all day to respond to this thread - thank-you, thank-you, and thank-you to all the members who posted information today about the arrests! You guys rock!

It is about freakin' time PF and his father got arrested on murder, conspiracy, and conspiracy to evade LE! It has been WAY too long that PF has been free! I have long believed in his guilt and that members of his family assisted him in covering up the crime. He was just a 19-year old failing college student when he murdered Kristin and would have needed help moving her body and cleaning up the crime scene. Since then, the Flores family have done everything possible to thwart law enforcement and evade justice. Today has been a long time coming!

Personally, I think they have Kristin's watch - and with the information from the outstanding "In Your Backyard" podcast - law enforcement was able to link it to Kristin with DNA. This might be why it took a few months between the last search and the arrests this morning. Any thoughts?

It is a good day for the Smart family and all those who have followed and advocated for Kristin - not so great for the Flores family, however inevitable. Unfortunately, I don't believe PF or RF will give any type of statement or assistance to LE to locate Kristin's remains. To me, that is one of the most despicable and cruelest parts of this crime. Any person who would keep a family from the remains of their loved one deserves all the punishment they get.

Again, thank you to all of the amazing posters today... I was unable to pull away and respond to the thread and you guys kept up the excellent information and reports. I heart Websleuths!

Last edited:
BBM was that there before? i totally agree fwiw but shocked he said that.
On September 6, 2016, officials from the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Office announced they were investigating a new lead in the case.[13] Cadaver dogs from the FBI were brought in and investigators were preparing to spend approximately four days excavating an area on the Cal Poly campus.[13] After three days, items were found at all three dig sites located on the same hillside near Smart's dorm. A spokesman for the sheriff's office said, "The items are being analyzed to see whether they are connected to the case, which could take days, weeks or months".[14] The items uncovered are still being investigated as of 2020.[15]

Disappearance of Kristin Smart - Wikipedia

eta:The Kristin Smart disappearance

Last edited:
(link via @rkendmar)

Paul Flores booked on murder charge in Kristin Smart case
https://www.ksby.com/news/local-news/slo-sheriff-to-make-major-announcement-in-kristin-smart-case

“UPDATE (2:05 p.m.) San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Ian Parkinson held a press conference at Cal Poly on Tuesday afternoon to officially announce the arrest of Paul Flores for the murder of Kristin Smart.

Cal Poly was the last place the 19-year-old freshman was seen alive nearly 25 years ago.

Sheriff Parkinson laid out the recent timeline leading to Flores's arrest. He explained that in late 2016, investigators got ahold of evidence that identified Flores as the prime suspect in Kristin's disappearance.“

Megan Healy [URL='https://twitter.com/MeganHealyTV']@MeganHealyTV [/URL]1m
Sheriff Ian Parkinson couldn't comment on specific items of evidence in the #KristinSmart case because search warrants are sealed, but he did say this:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1382139867413422080

Megan Healy [URL='https://twitter.com/MeganHealyTV']@MeganHealyTV [/URL]38m
Community members have decorated the Kristin Smart billboard in the village of Arroyo Grade with purple and white balloons following the recent arrests in the case #KristinSmart @KSBY

Wonderful that these two "people" have been arrested - it's about time!

What a waste of a promising young life. We see too many promising lives being snuffed out; too few perps busted.

Glad KS and her Family and Friends will hopefully get some closure on this case! Of course, finding KS would add to that sense of closure, tremendously.

Prayers going up for KS' Family and Friends.

prayingPutto_Daisies.jpg

JMVHO.

Family of Kristin Smart releases statement following arrest of Paul Flores
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - The family of Kristin Smart, a Cal Poly student who has been missing for nearly 25 years, has released a statement following the arrest of Paul Flores who now faces murder charges in Kristin's death.

Flores was arrested Tuesday along with his father, Ruben Flores. San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Ian Parkinson said Paul Flores faces murder charges for Kristin's death and Ruben Flores faces one count of accessory to the crime. Parkinson said investigators have yet to recover Smart's remains but insisted that the department would not stop until her remains are recovered and returned to her family.

The complete statement from the Smart family can be read below:

Family of Kristin Smart releases statement following arrest of Paul Flores | NewsChannel 3-12

Family of Kristin Smart releases statement following arrest of Paul Flores
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. - The family of Kristin Smart, a Cal Poly student who has been missing for nearly 25 years, has released a statement following the arrest of Paul Flores who now faces murder charges in Kristin's death.

Flores was arrested Tuesday along with his father, Ruben Flores. San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Ian Parkinson said Paul Flores faces murder charges for Kristin's death and Ruben Flores faces one count of accessory to the crime. Parkinson said investigators have yet to recover Smart's remains but insisted that the department would not stop until her remains are recovered and returned to her family.

The complete statement from the Smart family can be read below:

Family of Kristin Smart releases statement following arrest of Paul Flores | NewsChannel 3-12

“We are pleased that Kristin’s case has now moved to the district attorney’s office, where we know we will be in good hands, and look forward to the day when there will be ‘justice’ for Kristin.“

This clip from a larger video is something I can’t stop thinking of. What kind of person is one who acts in this manner? This is something that thankfully is on record and available when they try to use any sort of defense that includes pretending to be remorse, humane or helpful.
Login • Instagram

Part of me thinks that Ermalinda may spill the beans to reduce her father’s sentence, but then I also believe she and Susan could see charges. I’m on the fence. I want them all to be held responsible and I want the Smart family to have Kristin brought home. I also kind of want to see this family all turn on each other just because they don’t deserve any form of comfort IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa