CA - Rayanna Nail, 10, dies of drug OD, Klamath, 31 July 2009

The article said CPS had been involved, and she was in the special education department at school where they described her as "a deeply troubled girl".

There is more to this story if they choose to investigate.

Another example of a case that if tried by a PD Gma will probably end up taking a deal and if she had money for a good defense attorney would probably be cleared. Daughter is throwing her right under the bus and Gma may feel guilty and just let it roll over her, but if not she needs to be throwing some responsibility mom's way. How bout mom knew there were pills at Gma's and shouldn't be sending her daughter unsupervised, or at a minimum shouldn't have called Gma so the child was supervised. How bout daughter mentioned pills everywhere, did mom check her for pills? Same day daughter becomes sick and mom puts her to bed?

"I am not this child's guardian, she does not live with me, I did not invite her on this occassion, I was not informed she was coming, I was not aware she was in my home, it was her mother that she mentioned her access to pills, it was her mother that she sought out when she became ill, it was her mother who had the responsibility and opportunity to handle this differently."

I'm highly suspicious of the mother. It's not uncommon for legimate users of Oxycontin to have one or more family members addicted to the medication. They wait until the owner of the med is "out of it" so to speak, and raid their pills. When they wake up, they know nothing of what went on. If pills come up short, they don't have the recall to accuse anyone of theft.

My scenario has the daughter getting into her mother's stash of pills that were stolen from g-ma. Mom goes over to g-mas house to verify that she's knocked out (not to clean), maybe to spread pills around but, she can't get into the safe. Instead she claims that she cleaned them up and put them back into the safe. She invents the potato, pills everywhere story to frame the g-ma. G-ma can't defend herself...she was out cold and knows nothing.

The only "bright spot" in this story is that Grandma (if drug dependent) could kick the habit while in jail?

The only "bright spot" in this story is that Grandma (if drug dependent) could kick the habit while in jail?

She may detox, but staying clean is unlikely.

She isn't going to leave with new coping skills unless she really seeks them out.

I was thinking about my drug addict mother and her pills, addictions are ritualistic and pills to an addict are very very very valuable. I cannot think of ONE time my mother tossed pills around the house, couldn't keep track of them, etc....

She hid them around the house "for when she ran out", or at least she thought she did, I never actually saw proof of that occuring, the only portion of that that was visible was the dismantling the house looking for the pills she knew she hid somewhere.

I am not buying this passed out in a pile of pills.
This isn't alcohol where you pass out with the bottle in your hand.
Or herion where you wake up with needle in your arm.

This is take the pills, wash them down, have enough time for them to get into your system, pass out.

Spread around the house sounds like someone who wants to make someone else sound reckless and negligent.

Maybe someone with legal experience will explain this to me. How can the GM be arrested and held on 100,000$ bail based on "Assistant Coroner Mike Henderson said preliminary results from the autopsy hint at an overdose." and “There were some very non-specific things that were consistent with her having an overdose,” he said. Plus the charges seemed to be based on an apparent overdose of oxycontin yet neither the child or her mother mentioned oxycontin only spoke of Soma.

Sounds like a 3rd world arrest.

Maybe someone with legal experience will explain this to me. How can the GM be arrested and held on 100,000$ bail based on "Assistant Coroner Mike Henderson said preliminary results from the autopsy hint at an overdose." and “There were some very non-specific things that were consistent with her having an overdose,” he said. Plus the charges seemed to be based on an apparent overdose of oxycontin yet neither the child or her mother mentioned oxycontin only spoke of Soma.

You've got me.
I am baffled by it.

I don't know how you can be held accountable for something that occurs to a child not in your care and not knowingly in your home. My gut reaction is these charges will never stick, but then I factor in that she appears to be broke and I can see her doing time on a deal.

The adult daughter must have some really intense feelings about her mother.

I know a lot of people who do leave their meds on the coffee table or bedside table, for the ease in getting their meds. I've even seen a person shake and drop their meds while trying to take them. I hate to see these people alone and trying to care for themselves, but it's not uncommon. In this case, it sounds like grandma may have a drug dependency. In the privacy of her home, I feel like she should be able to drug her butt out to any extent she wishes. Mom of Rayanna looks negligent in my opinion because she sent a child to Grandma's to fetch potatoes. Mom of Rayanna looks twice as negligent if Grandma was known to be knocked out on Soma?

I apologize for being angry and hopeful for grandma at the same time. I don't think grandma bears the full responsibility in this case.

If Gma was in HER own house, with HER own meds, then how can she be to blame??? I have MY meds in MY house, and MY son knows better than to touch them. Obviously this girl had a problem with drugs - HER mother's problem...

I know a lot of people who do leave their meds on the coffee table or bedside table, for the ease in getting their meds. I've even seen a person shake and drop their meds while trying to take them. I hate to see these people alone and trying to care for themselves, but it's not uncommon. In this case, it sounds like grandma may have a drug dependency. In the privacy of her home, I feel like she should be able to drug her butt out to any extent she wishes. Mom of Rayanna looks negligent in my opinion because she sent a child to Grandma's to fetch potatoes. Mom of Rayanna looks twice as negligent if Grandma was known to be knocked out on Soma?

I apologize for being angry and hopeful for grandma at the same time. I don't think grandma bears the full responsibility in this case.

Are these drug addicted people taking narcotics? Or legit meds taken by people who need them? I understand that people leave pills on their tables and nightstands, I do as well. But the addicts I have been around pay more attention to their narcotics than their children.

And the only people I have EVER seen let their children roam about freely with adults that are popping pills to that degree are other drug addicts.

Are these drug addicted people taking narcotics? Or legit meds taken by people who need them? I understand that people leave pills on their tables and nightstands, I do as well. But the addicts I have been around pay more attention to their narcotics than their children.

And the only people I have EVER seen let their children roam about freely with adults that are popping pills to that degree are other drug addicts.

Legit meds. I've been in some homes where a cancer patient doesn't have the strength to flush their own toilet and have their meds sitting by them for the ease of taking them.

Plus, the whole story of pills being all around the grandma's house comes from the mother, who says she went over there later that night and locked them up. So how does LE just take her word for it that the pills her daughter OD'd on came from Grandma's house? Did she even really send her daughter over there for potatoes? Were the pills really spread all over that day or were they locked up all along? Did the drugs the girl OD'd on maybe come from her own house?

And daughter knew how to get them??? And went and got them??? And gdaughter found them, at home???

In today's paper, Gma pleads not guilty, is released until next court date. Mom parades daughter's urn around court room and pleads to the court not to release her mother. Also a letter to the editor, which you will be able to read tomorrow. (along with today's article, which also mentions that the two times she did OD, she was in grandma's care)

My coworker said something about these people being the people she bought her trailer from, and that when she went to get it or pay for it, one had white powder all around her nose, and claimed to have just taken her pills. I wasn't listening close enough to discern if she was talking about mom or grandma.

Even if the gmother WAS an addict - Again, she was in HER house, with HER drugs. Daughter had to obviously know (if so)...HER own daughter had OD'd twice (supposedly from gma's stash). I would hope that she was smart enough to keep HER daughter away from gma...I know, in this day and age - it appears to be too much to ask that MOMs take real care of their kids...

Oh, I totally agree, I think if anything, Gma should get a slap on the wrist. It's mom who is clearly guilty of neglect in this case. (atleast going by what has been published in the paper, and the quotes of what she has said.)

Personally, I think the younger child should be checked out too.

you know, if i chose to SWIM in my medicine, didn't believe in locking it up, laid it al on the table with step by step instructions on how to take it and how much to make me "feel all soma'd out" I still don't see how I would be to blame, the child does NOT live with me! obviously she went in without knocking and waiting on an answer. I'm with most people here, mom's up to something!

Ok, I have to rant here... First of all, the mother is pouring it on too thick with all this quality time she claims to have spent with the daughter. Chasing lizards, picking berries, playing cards, laying down, holding hands. Blah blah blah.

Forgive me if I'm wrong because Im not a mom or a nurse, but it seems that if the child took the pills at gma's, by the time her and mom were into their game of Skip Bo. she would've been showing signs of an OD. She would have been lethargic, slurred speech.. something. She would've been soma'd out like gma!!

And don't you give kids Benadryl for rashes, not Tylenol? Do you take Tylenol when you get poison oak? I guess any pill will do, huh? Geez

I wonder if the momma sent the daughter down there to get some pills for her and the girl took some herself. Or maybe mom gave the girl a pill to put her to sleep??? My hinky meter is on red alert.

I'd be curious to know if the poor lil girl really had potatoes in her stomach when they did the autopsy. I don't think the girl went there for potatoes if she went there at all. I think the mom is advocating way too much to keep g-ma in jail. Seems like she wants to make sure the focus stays on g-ma and doesn't come her way.

And..I've never played Skip Bo. Is that something a 10 yr old special needs child would grasp?

Ok, I have to rant here... First of all, the mother is pouring it on too thick with all this quality time she claims to have spent with the daughter. Chasing lizards, picking berries, playing cards, laying down, holding hands. Blah blah blah.

Forgive me if I'm wrong because Im not a mom or a nurse, but it seems that if the child took the pills at gma's, by the time her and mom were into their game of Skip Bo. she would've been showing signs of an OD. She would have been lethargic, slurred speech.. something. She would've been soma'd out like gma!!

And don't you give kids Benadryl for rashes, not Tylenol? Do you take Tylenol when you get poison oak? I guess any pill will do, huh? Geez

I wonder if the momma sent the daughter down there to get some pills for her and the girl took some herself. Or maybe mom gave the girl a pill to put her to sleep??? My hinky meter is on red alert.

I'd be curious to know if the poor lil girl really had potatoes in her stomach when they did the autopsy. I don't think the girl went there for potatoes if she went there at all. I think the mom is advocating way too much to keep g-ma in jail. Seems like she wants to make sure the focus stays on g-ma and doesn't come her way.

And..I've never played Skip Bo. Is that something a 10 yr old special needs child would grasp?

I have never taken oxycontin but I would imagine anyone would be able to tell a child (or an adult that had never taken it) was deeply impaired by one.

I have taken Vicodin which is much milder than oxycontin and been sick as a dog from it. Taken Soma when I put my back out, out of it, deep sleep.

Not a mother, but I would also assume that any mother on this board would notice if their child was under the influence of narcotics. Especially if your child had ODed twice before.

My question is whether this girl was suicidal or how long has she been exposed to drugs (gestation?). For a child that young to take meds to the point of OD repeatedly, which would not be a fun experience, having your stomach pumped, the sore throat, the naseua. Not something most ten year olds would seek out and repeat and repeat.

Attention seeking? Early addict? Manchausen by proxy? Bio mom sure seems to loving the limelight and attention this is bringing her.....

I don't think this girl was a special needs child. In one of the articles her mom states, "Although only 10 years old, Rayanna attended a “special class” at Crescent Elk Middle School, her mother said. She was 10 and attending a middle school class? Maybe she was in an enrichment class for bright students?

I do not think this grandmother should be charged. I would love to know if mom is on
oxycontin and using grandmom as a scape goat. Also. toxicology reports are not in. How can they charge her? Autopsy results also states her lungs were filled with fluid, which could be a result of an over dose or suffocation?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrimeJunkie82
Back