CA CA - Rose Cole, 16, Oakland, 1972 - #2

Hi all,

I recently heard about Rose via an article about the attorney who helped Synanon victims, and have just finished reading all through Rose's threads here - for some reason her story really touches my heart. The links to the letters no longer work. I did see one transcribed here (thank you!) and fragments on the YouTube page. Has anyone saved copies of the complete letters and postcard, and if so would you mind posting them again?

In any case thank you for all the research about Rose. Even if she's alive and doesn't want to be located you all did a wonderful thing in advocating for her. If family is reading here - I will keep you in my thoughts.

Hello everyone,

I posed this possible Doe to CarlK as being a possible match for Rose; please let me know what you think and whether I should submit. And my apologies if someone has already suggested this Doe as a match for Rose. Thank you!

https://identifyus.org/cases/12115

I just wanted to update that I have been gradually getting through this book with the interviews with Chinatown residents from that time period, and I think there are some people who might be reachable and able to help. I've been so busy with other things lately, and this was a huge book so I apologize for the delay. I am going to try to see what I can do.

Just to verify, we know that Rose said she was staying in a large house with an older couple, and that she had a kidney infection. And that her stuff was stolen from a bus stop? I'm just trying to think if there was anything else that I should mention.

Reen, how is Yannette doing? I do hope she will come back someday, and I hope she knows we haven't given up.

I talked to Yanette, Jesse, and Isabella in 2008. I sent file# 381uffl (unidentified girl). It looked and still looks like a promising match. I've searched for a while and this seems the most likely. She said she contacted the authorities. I guess they're still waiting to rule her out.

It would be interesting to see the letter that was found in her possession. They seem to feel she wrote the letter and since we have actual letters written by Rose, it would be great to see if the handwriting matches.

I submitted it back in 2008 to authorities but nothing yet. I re submitted my emails to yannette from 2008 to police recently, waiting on reply.

I am not sure why she hasn't been ruled out all these years later after submitting the tip. Yannette said she was following up with it to assure that she'd be ruled out.

This case deeply disturbs me. I feel so strongly that Rose drifted away from family contact and is still out there.
Bumping for Rose. <3

I can't help but wonder if Rose ended up in People's Temple, they were very active in outreach in SF and Oakland at that time.

I'll go through the records of Jonestown deaths to see if there's any possible matches.

Would be horrible if true.

I can't help but wonder if Rose ended up in People's Temple, they were very active in outreach in SF and Oakland at that time.

I'll go through the records of Jonestown deaths to see if there's any possible matches.

Would be horrible if true.

I never even thought of Jonestown, but thats a good idea. Please share what you find.

Hey first time poster here. I spent a few hours reading through the first part of this topic and wasn't sure if anyone had gotten anywhere with Claire and Colleen regarding the letter Rose supposedly sent to Claire? I ask because I was searching through obituary records for Colleen McNamara's(since she seemed to get more results) relatively close to Michigan and found one who sadly passed away in Maryland in 2013, but would have been the same age as Rose. While I don't know if the sisters were close enough in age or if this will help at all but at least that's an avenue that's closed for now.

I'm not sure if this case is still open. My mother was Jesse Cole's 3rd wife. I can tell you from talking to my mother about these forums and talking to my mother, she recalls that Rose called during the time that they were married 1979-1982 and told him that she had been on the streets for a year and she wanted to come home. Jesse told her that she had been on the streets for a year and she could just keep on going. He did not have much interest in his children.

This post from the family of Rose's father's third wife is I think a key to this case. When I read this post, it came to mind immediately that it may be just someone trolling the thread. The vibe I get from it though is that it is genuine. 70% true/30% fake. I want to to think it's true and that Rose just kept on keeping on, but at the same time, suggesting that Rose made it that long after leaving Synanon and disappearing definitely changes the sleuthing. Did the ex-wife answer the phone? Did she hear Rose's voice? Or did she just take the father's word for it. "That was my daughter Rose." etc. etc. Though again, as much as I distrust anything to do with the father, why would he make up a story like that to his third wife?

That's all I've got for now. Cole family members, if you are out there, I'd love to ask you some questions.

This post from the family of Rose's father's third wife is I think a key to this case. When I read this post, it came to mind immediately that it may be just someone trolling the thread. The vibe I get from it though is that it is genuine. 70% true/30% fake. I want to to think it's true and that Rose just kept on keeping on, but at the same time, suggesting that Rose made it that long after leaving Synanon and disappearing definitely changes the sleuthing. Did the ex-wife answer the phone? Did she hear Rose's voice? Or did she just take the father's word for it. "That was my daughter Rose." etc. etc. Though again, as much as I distrust anything to do with the father, why would he make up a story like that to his third wife?

That's all I've got for now. Cole family members, if you are out there, I'd love to ask you some questions.
Even if true, that story doesn't necessarily bode well for Rose. If Jesse told his family that they didn't need to worry about Rose any more after her court date, maybe it was because he had told her to get lost&#8212;that the family wanted nothing more to do with her. If she then contacted him again anyway, that might suggest that she was in a truly desperate situation: sick, starving, etc. According to one British newspaper, the life expectancy of a homeless woman is only 43.* Statistics may be slightly different for the US, but I think we can all agree that living on the streets doesn't promote longevity. If Rose continued to live on the streets, odds are good that she is no longer among the living. I don't hear about many cases of people making it off the streets without the help of family.

*http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eople-expect-die-30-years-average-person.html

Ozoner so true. She could have found a life for herself out there. I don't think that she would be homeless per se. She could have been a transient for a bit, before she got her life in order. However, transients often come into foul play. I've talked to her step mom several times, but even her stepmom now doesn't respond to the emails or phone calls.

Even if true, that story doesn't necessarily bode well for Rose. If Jesse told his family that they didn't need to worry about Rose any more after her court date, maybe it was because he had told her to get lost&#8212;that the family wanted nothing more to do with her. If she then contacted him again anyway, that might suggest that she was in a truly desperate situation: sick, starving, etc. According to one British newspaper, the life expectancy of a homeless woman is only 43.* Statistics may be slightly different for the US, but I think we can all agree that living on the streets doesn't promote longevity. If Rose continued to live on the streets, odds are good that she is no longer among the living. I don't hear about many cases of people making it off the streets without the help of family.

*http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eople-expect-die-30-years-average-person.html

I did not mean to suggest that if she did indeed go on living and made it to a point where she was calling her father in the late 70s/early 80s that she was somehow doing well. If you've read the threads, you know that a lot of the sleuthing has been based around Rose not surviving that initial period after leaving Synanon (due to wacky serial killers, being tracked down by Synanon, etc.). If the third wife's story is true, then that changes things as far as looking at UIDs, possible cults out recruiting street people like Rose, and so on.

I did not mean to suggest that if she did indeed go on living and made it to a point where she was calling her father in the late 70s/early 80s that she was somehow doing well. If you've read the threads, you know that a lot of the sleuthing has been based around Rose not surviving that initial period after leaving Synanon (due to wacky serial killers, being tracked down by Synanon, etc.). If the third wife's story is true, then that changes things as far as looking at UIDs, possible cults out recruiting street people like Rose, and so on.

I spent days reading about rose and i really hope she is out there some where living the good life ! It just does not make any sense that her family would be participating in her threads one minute and then fall off the face of the earth did they just give up no interest any more ? the nephew Brian Cole was posting not to long ago where did he go Yannette , and Isabella have not been on in a real long time:thinking:

It just does not make any sense that her family would be participating in her threads one minute and then fall off the face of the earth did they just give up no interest any more ? the nephew Brian Cole was posting not to long ago where did he go Yannette , and Isabella have not been on in a real long time:thinking:

While I would like to have contact between this thread and the family, I cannot fault them for having moved on. In my experience here at Websleuths, the family is more concerned with getting the story of its loved one out rather than hanging around here at WS and engaging in the discussion. If the family has learned Rose's fate, I do wish they'd share it. I assume though that the Coles are good people who are decent enough to not keep us all hanging.

I do agree it's just.....discussion can help with keeping the name out there...answering questions can help with searches....but I,don't disagree with what you have said too. Either way isn't a wrong way of thinking

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cdawn
Back