Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we have any reason to doubt her injuries. The first responder said she was heavily battered, the sheriff said she was assaulted but sent home after treatment, her husband said she was bruised, burned and had a broken nose. These all sound like descriptions of the same injuries to me. From what the sheriff said, I was expecting bruises but no broken arms or legs or fingers cut off or anything like that. It all sounds consistent so why doubt it.

No, not doubting that she was injured. Just trying to clarify the chain of events, who said what and who saw what. Also trying to understand the legalities involved of releasing information on victim's and how much LE knows as fact verses second hand relayed information. I am hoping a lawyer here, someone from LE and a medical professional can advise.

Agree with you.
A man would not chop off her long blonde hair.
Jmo

Yes, they do. Serial killers do this all the time. The SK I interviewed did that to his victims. It's to demonstrate power, control, to dehumanize, degrade and humiliate. It signifies deep rage.

When domestic violence victims are seen in hospitals their injuries are usually photographed for evidence. I don't know if it's the same for assault victims - but I would assume they do the same thing to catalog their injuries. These would be shared with LE (IMO) and with her husband as well. LE and hospital staff would not be able to go to the press with specifics although they could be called to testify in court. However she or her husband would be free to tell anyone. (This is based on my experience with dv victims so it might not be true in all cases.)

I think whether or not KP's descriptions match with LE and hospital reports will remain unknown. He might be basing his descriptions on what he's seen not what he's been told, or maybe a mixture. Like I wouldn't know a broken nose by looking but maybe they told him or showed him an x-ray.

LE would not be basing their reports on what KP told them, at least not entirely. They would base it on their own or the hospital's assessments.

All JMO and IME.

Yeah, it's the same with assault victims. I was beaten up once and the police doctor checked and photographed every inch of my body and counted and measured all the bruises and scrapes. It was humiliating.

Robert Ben Rhoades did that :(

It's a form of control and humiliation / degradation. Imette St. Guillen's murder comes to mind. Now that was an absolutely exceptionally beautiful woman IMO, and her hair was cut to humiliate her. Serial killers do this often.

called a waist chain. you can improvise one relatively easily.

It sounds to me as if she had one of those chain belts on like they make prisoners wear to court sometimes. it wraps around the waist like a belt and your hands are cuffed to the chain. With a bag over your head, it would be extremely difficult to get the bag off AND try to wave it with a hand that was chained to your waist.

When the call came through that she was "chained to something", it may have simply been a reference to her own waist that she was chained too.

View attachment 105269

The above picture reflects what I am talking about. Who would have access to something like that ? LE, prison guards, and prison transport personnel.

Try waving your head bag at passing cars with that get up at 4 a.m. in the morning..

:facepalm: Thank you, Ariane! My brain knows that, but my fingers or my correcter have a mind of their own. I fixed my original post.
It's understandable. Autocorrect can be nasty like that. Not the first time, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Now I'm a little spooked that I might be the one to accidentally do it - and get called out - next. Sure hope not.

Sigh. I'm very happy that this story ends with Sherri alive! There is no doubt in my mind that during her time away she has suffered badly.

Things I'm still mulling: could the sheriff have held back explaining Sherri's injuries because they are trying to rule out self infliction?

Also, if and when self infliction is ruled out (I hope), I think they need to look at this as a hate crime, or a personal vendetta against her or her family.

I'm not ready to hate on LE yet. They know more than we do, always. And I did find the "signature long hair" comment to be a bit odd. Im not victim blaming on the Papini's. I'm just trying to make sense of what we've got with the walnut I call a brain. So, JMO, IMO, MOO. And thank God she's home.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thank you, you said it better than I.

Her injuries would be criminal evidence. Law enforcement saw them before Keith did and would have photos and medical records.

I'm not sure that's accurate. LE only saw her clothed when they found her. I'm talking about the detailed injuries thst KP disclosed in his statement. I am quite sure LE did not see more than KP. And there are HIPAA laws in place and it is my understanding that one needs to give permission to have any medical details released. MOO.

I'm not sure that's accurate. LE only saw her clothed when they found her. I'm talking about the detailed injuries thst KP disclosed in his statement. I am quite sure LE did not see more than KP. And there are HIPAA laws in place and it is my understanding that one needs to give permission to have any medical details released. MOO.

If this goes to court... LE/Lawyer would have ALL of the details of her injuries IMHO

I still don't quite know where to go with this and I'm still kinda waiting for something definitive that leads me on a direct path.

My big question is motive. I think if I could understand a motive I could work my way through it all.

Why was she kidnapped?
Why did they let her go?
Why aren't we moving heaven and earth to find these women who kidnapped SP?

It's such a bizarre case that it might just be what it is and nothing more. Who really knows.

MOO

idk why everyone is so wrapped up in that. maybe he does not have PTO and needed it to live while off work looking for his wife?

Did it say Keith actually wrote the statement or was it just released by him?
Weird I had completely different thoughts on it when I read it a second time from the first one.
I wish he had addressed what they are going to do with the $50,000 would be a nice ending to hear it is being given to a charity,

called a waist chain. you can improvise one relatively easily.

Just a thought but, who would even think to use such a restraint except someone in LE, or someone who's been in one before? I mean..... it's not like it'd be most people's first idea on how to restrain someone.

A few years ago my son was assaulted and taken by ambulance to the hospital after LE showed up. LE's report stated various injuries and then the hospital took pictures of each and every one, measured them, stated in the report the "actual" description of the injury and when the person was arrested and it went to trial the whole record from the hospital was there describing all the injuries. This had been turned over to the investigating LE by the hospital. From what I was told for a criminal case they are allowed to turn over the records of that assault. Don't know if that's still true, but I do know LE was at the hospital, talked to my son, talked to the nurses and doctors, saw the injuries with their own eyes also.

Has LE said anything about the public not being at risk because of the kidnappers? Have they stated much about what they're doing to find them? Sorry if I have missed this.

Just a thought but, who would even think to use such a restraint except someone in LE, or someone who's been in one before? I mean..... it's not like it'd be most people's first idea on how to restrain someone.

For absolutely no reason that I have evidence for, I feel like it's the latter. Someone who's been in one before. I was just half-watching an old Paula Zahn episode in which a criminal was wearing one such restraint while being interviewed. JMO

I still don't quite know where to go with this and I'm still kinda waiting for something definitive that leads me on a direct path.

My big question is motive. I think if I could understand a motive I could work my way through it all.

Why was she kidnapped?
Why did they let her go?

It's such a bizarre case that it might just be what it is and nothing more. Who really knows.

MOO
You would think that there would be a huge manhunt underway. This woman was kidnapped and tortured for weeks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A few years ago my son was assaulted and taken by ambulance to the hospital after LE showed up. LE's report stated various injuries and then the hospital took pictures of each and every one, measured them, stated in the report the "actual" description of the injury and when the person was arrested and it went to trial the whole record from the hospital was there describing all the injuries. This had been turned over to the investigating LE by the hospital. From what I was told for a criminal case they are allowed to turn over the records of that assault. Don't know if that's still true, but I do know LE was at the hospital, talked to my son, talked to the nurses and doctors, saw the injuries with their own eyes also.

Thank you sharing that. Most helpful. And I'm terribly sorry to hear about your son. I surly hope he's doing well now.

Why was she kidnapped?
Why did they let her go?

MOO

Even after reading everything today and learning a lot about her horrible injuries, I too have many many questions
I hope in time, some answers will become available
I still feel very confused about so many aspects of this
I think it is natural to have questions about all of this

I still don't feel a sense of urgency about finding these people.
I am hoping that LE has a bead on them and are quietly doing what must be done
As to the why.. Maybe she was conveniently in the wrong place at the wrong time

I am still not sure where she was abducted from

I think that SP would have been treated similarly to a rape victim when she arrived at the hospital (not saying that she is or isn't) sort of picture Olivia Benson on SVU. a usually female officer will come and meet w her and talk to her before an examination. the victim can likely refuse to submit to any pic or exam, but the "assault liaison" would gently try to steer her in that direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph