GUILTY CA - Two police officers shot, one killed, San Diego, 28 July 2016 *Arrests*

If you're catching up on this case, here's the huge memorial 2016 for
Officer Jonathan De Guzman.

36E9954800000578-3724966-image-m-76_1470426378076.jpg

San Diego officer shot driving patrol vehicle has memorial held in El Cajon | Daily Mail Online
UPDATED: 07:24 EDT, 6 August 2016

Trial begins for man accused of killing SDPD officer (10news.com)
Posted at 7:51 AM, Aug 17, 2021

Jesse Michael Gomez, 60, is charged with shooting Officer Jonathan "J.D." De Guzman, 43, and fellow gang-unit Officer Wade Irwin in the Shelltown neighborhood on the night of July 28, 2016.

[...]

Prosecutors hope to prove Gomez intentionally shot both officers to avoid going to jail. They say he was illegally carrying a concealed weapon, a violation of his parole from earlier convictions.

[...]

She also noted that Gomez was under the influence of methamphetamine at the time, which she said can result in enhanced paranoia and false perceptions. BBM

SDPD murder trial: Opening statements set in murder trial of man accused of shooting SDPD officer (fox5sandiego.com)
Posted: Aug 17, 2021 / 06:39 AM PDT

Testimony begins in murder trial of man accused of shooting SDPD officer - (kusi.com)
Posted: August 17, 2021

Opening statements begin in the murder trial of man accused of killing SDPD officer | cbs8.com video included
Published: 6:22 AM PDT August 17, 2021

Gomez, who remains held without bail, could face the death penalty if convicted of the murder count and special circumstance allegation. His trial is expected to last as long as two months. BBM

My understanding is the defendant took the stand in his trial today. He could get the Death Penalty. The man that shot at two police officers , killing one, took the stand today. Jesse Michael Gomez, 60, spent the day of July 28, 2016 drinking beers and did some meth. Later that evening, he was out in the neighborhood when a car drove up. On the stand Gomez testified that he didn't know he was shooting at police officers. He shot, not knowing who he was shooting at, almost immediately. Implying almost self defense, says he thought they could be gang members.
Accused Gunman Takes The Stand In SDPD Officer Murder Trial (fox5sandiego.com)

Man Charged With Killing San Diego Police Officer Testifies In Murder Trial (fox5sandiego.com)

Here he is on video on the stand. Note that Gomez was not suppose to have a gun on him while being on probation, and he did have a gun he used to shot. He says he didn't know he was shooting at police officers.
Accused cop killer Jesse Gomez takes the stand | cbs8.com

Gomez said he had just completed a drug deal and was standing on the street with another man. He says he had smoked meth four to five times on the day of the shooting. The officers asked him where he was from which is supposedly code for something bad about to happen. He just reacted. Took a gun out of his waistband. He didn't have time to think, he just reacted.

He demonstrates how he shot at the officers. (see the news video)
upload_2021-9-2_23-19-0.png
Man charged in shooting death of SDPD officer testifies in court (10news.com) Posted Sep 02, 2021 and last updated 5:21 PM
"A man who is facing the death penalty for fatally shooting a San Diego police officer four years ago took the stand Thursday and claims he thought the patrol car that was 'creeping up' behind him was a carload of gang members who were going to kill him."

Closing arguments and then deliberations start tomorrow.

JMO, I'm surprised at the apathetic interest for justice, but I hope Officer Jonathan De Guzman's wife, children, and fellow officers know people care.

apathetic-- showing or feeling no interest, enthusiasm, or concern.

jd-de-guzman-300x203.jpg

Officer Jonathan “J.D.” De Guzman
Gomez fatally shot Officer Jonathan “J.D.” De Guzman in 2016.

Justice! The Verdict is in.
animated-judge-image-0047.gif

San Diego officer shooting trial: Man found guilty of murder in 2016 slaying (fox5sandiego.com)

"...was convicted Monday of first-degree murder."

"Jurors in the trial of Jesse Michael Gomez, 60, also found true a special circumstance allegation of killing a police officer, opening Gomez to a possible death sentence. The penalty phase of his trial, in which jurors will recommend a sentence of either death or life in prison without parole, will begin Thursday."

"In addition to murder, jurors also convicted Gomez of the attempted murder of De Guzman’s partner, as well as a count of being a felon in possession of a firearm."

Verdict in trial of man charged with murder of SDPD officer | cbs8.com

Man convicted of killing SDPD officer Jonathan De Guzman (10news.com)

Man convicted in killing of SD police officer, possible death sentence looms - (kusi.com)

It is absolutely heartbreaking to hear Mrs. De Guzman crying on the stand in the news video. That's was deep grief sounds like.

Jesse Gomez trial: Emotional testimony from slain officer's widow | cbs8.com

The wife of San Diego police officer Jonathan "J.D." De Guzman took the stand Monday in the penalty phase of the trial against Jesse Michael Gomez.

"I miss my husband so much. It's been five years, but it's been really hard," said Jonathan De Guzman's widow. "I've been holding myself up because of my two kids."

After her testimony ended, she stepped down from the witness stand, and Gomez said, "I'm truly sorry Ms. De Guzman from the bottom of my heart."

De Guzman's widow cried for several minutes.

Per the news report-- On November 10th, 2021 the Judge will decide whether to go with the Death Penalty or reverse the jury's sentence.

Jesse Gomez death penalty: Sentence recommended for San Diego officer's killer (fox5sandiego.com)
"The judge will now consider whether or not to accept the jury’s recommendation. As the San Diego Union-Tribune reports, it is highly unusual — but not unprecedented — for a judge to contradict a jury’s decision in a capital case."

Death penalty recommended for SDPD officer's convicted killer (10news.com)
"While Gov. Gavin Newsom signed an executive order in 2019 placing a moratorium on capital punishment in California, the order, which will last for the remainder of his term in office, does not prevent prosecutors from seeking the death penalty."

Man convicted of killing San Diego Police officer Jonathan 'JD' De Guzman sentenced to death

"Jesse Michael Gomez, 58, was convicted last year of murder and a special circumstance allegation of killing a police officer for the July 28, 2016, shooting of SDPD Officer Jonathan "J.D." De Guzman, 43..."

[...]

"At Gomez's sentencing hearing, San Diego Superior Court Judge Frederick Link adopted the jury's recommendation of death and rejected the contention that Gomez did not realize he was shooting at officers."

"For anyone to say Mr. Gomez didn't know what was going on is ridiculous," said the judge.

[...]

"I don't understand how you can just take someone's life without thinking of their family, especially when you are a father too," Jane De Guzman told Gomez.

Man convicted of killing SDPD officer given death sentence (10news.com)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back