Still Missing Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 *Guilty* *Appeal* #29

Sure. How about a national holiday in their honour, good upstanding citizens and all that.

Bohden: Seven charges including breaking and entering, mischief, drug possession.
Richards: 13 charges, mostly domestic, including unlawful confinement, uttering death threats.
Skipper: Four charges including sexual assault, assault, uttering threats and drug possession.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/douglas-garland-remand-assault-charges-laid-court-1.3994162

Some people probably thought they were encouraging nice prisoners to kick people in the head. Hopefully criminal history of these violent prison th-ugs brings some people back to earth

Off topic... Riding the train past Belleville, Ontario right now.

I hope their sentences are lengthened due to violent assault against defenceless people, and hopefully they will not be violently assaulted for their violent behaviour. Obviously it's not okay under any circumstances to kick people in the head, and a strong message needs to be communicated both in jail and in the community.

I think DG will go squirrelly in jail, even if in a private area/wing (isn't that what Bernardo has, his own wing?) he will never have peace and quiet like he had on the acreage. I think prison is a noisy place, there will always be a buzz of noise 24hrs a day. He will never have fresh air like on the acreage, he'll have to get used to prison smell. I'm guessing no private washroom either. He's an angry man who will probably get angrier when he can't give into his obsessions or hedonistic habits anymore. Hopefully he won't be able to pick the prison locks, maybe he shouldn't have internet access.

Some people probably thought they were encouraging nice prisoners to kick people in the head. Hopefully criminal history of these violent ****s brings some people back to earth

That's the difference between most 'normal' people and violent people. Although some of people may secretly wish DG harm, many would never ever think to realistically act on it, however DG wished harm to AL & KL and the difference is, he acted on it.

Both ? he was careful, cunning and consumed. I can't help thinking he would have take satisfaction in playing cat and mouse with the police and family had he not been caught..

That's an interesting point - the victim that was investigate in connection with Garland - wasn't there some irregularity with the victim's phone, as in cat and mouse?

I agree. And to your exact point, something that has always irked me is how high profile murderers gain notoriety even in prison and their names become a household word. But all too soon the victims get forgotten.

They even get married and have fan letters, so not always so bad...

They even get married and have fan letters, so not always so bad...

Do they? Yes I suppose. For a person old enough to be a grandpa still living in his parents basement while the relatives wonder what's to happen when he's forced to move out, maybe the security of a jail cell and the fame of people wondering what makes him tick is a desirable tradeoff.

I wonder if an appeal will be filed. Would he qualify for legal aid? Seeing he has nothing better to do for next 75 years.....

I wonder if an appeal will be filed. Would he qualify for legal aid? Seeing he has nothing better to do for next 75 years.....

"Ross said a decision hasn’t been made yet on whether Garland will file an appeal."
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...heering-reaction-to-garland-jail-beating.html

Only my opinion but considering most often defence attorneys are promising an appeal before the courthouse even clears, I don't think one will be filed in this case. But even if one is, the odds of appeals being successful are low.

It's one thing to not advocate harm/violence towards DG, that's civil. It's another thing to sympathize and what sounds like defend his actions and choices because of what if or what might've hypothetically happened to him in his life. There's many people who I'm sure have had it worse than ol' Dougie and do not perform monstrous acts. I mean, next thing we know people will be wearing "All Doug Needed Was A Hug" t-shirts. Seriously….making excuses for his behavior is an insult to victims of violence everywhere.

It's one thing to not advocate harm/violence towards DG, that's civil. It's another thing to sympathize and what sounds like defend his actions and choices because of what if or what might've hypothetically happened to him in his life. There's many people who I'm sure have had it worse than ol' Dougie and do not perform monstrous acts. I mean, next thing we know people will be wearing "All Doug Needed Was A Hug" t-shirts. Seriously….making excuses for his behavior is an insult to victims of violence everywhere.
Don't confuse 'understand why' with sympathy.

There is more to understanding the world than "He's evil, they're good." If that's the prevailing depth of thought... then wow.

Don't confuse 'understand why' with sympathy.

There is more to understanding the world than "He's evil, they're good." If that's the prevailing depth of thought... then wow.

There is no understanding why. Sometimes there is nothing to understand or a reason. Some people give in to their impulses some don't. Some act on anger some don't. Choices play a part. Decisions. Good people do bad things and bad people can do good things, it's not that black and white, I know that.

There is no understanding why. Sometimes there is nothing to understand or a reason. Some people give in to their impulses some don't. Some act on anger some don't. Choices play a part. Decisions. Good people do bad things and bad people can do good things, it's not that black and white, I know that.
If you read what was being replied to, it was the accusation that understanding the whys is somehow synonymous with sympathy.

I dare say no one has a lot of sympathy for DG... and it has been stated many times. He made his choices. He knew the consequences. Welcome to the consequences DG.

Those that cheer the fact that he violently 'got what was coming to him' simply don't want to admit they are then just like him. He feels the same way about his victims.

They somehow pretend they themselves can't be pushed to violence... which is a bit unrealistic and a bit, shall we say, sanctimonious.

There is nothing wrong with exploring why he did it, nor is there anything wrong with opposing jailhouse beat downs.

Civility.

If you read what was being replied to, it was the accusation that understanding the whys is somehow synonymous with sympathy.

I dare say no one has a lot of sympathy for DG... and it has been stated many times. He made his choices. He knew the consequences. Welcome to the consequences DG.

Those that cheer the fact that he violently 'got what was coming to him' simply don't want to admit they are then just like him. He feels the same way about his victims.

They somehow pretend they themselves can't be pushed to violence... which is a bit unrealistic and a bit, shall we say, sanctimonious.

There is nothing wrong with exploring why he did it, nor is there anything wrong with opposing jailhouse beat downs.

Civility.

that is a very bold statement! If I feel he deserved a beating does not mean I could do what he did!!! Totally wrong comparison.

that is a very bold statement! If I feel he deserved a beating does not mean I could do what he did!!! Totally wrong comparison.
If that's how someone feels when they have no personal investment in the issue, just imagine how far they may go if they do.

Wishing violence on someone as revenge for some sort of offensive action is wishing violence on someone for some sort of offensive action. There isn't some moral high ground because one wishes for a severe beating over a severe beating causing death.

Off topic but about some
Of our convicted criminals of heinous acts are on this 5th estate episode. I started watching it and will finish this evening. Seems Interesting.

https://youtu.be/p6bsjcV5ttA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that's how someone feels when they have no personal investment in the issue, just imagine how far they may go if they do.

Wishing violence on someone as revenge for some sort of offensive action is wishing violence on someone for some sort of offensive action. There isn't some moral high ground because one wishes for a severe beating over a severe beating causing death.

when he shows zero remorse for his crimes, it is offensive to me that he is protected and has so called rights. His victims had zero consideration from him. And yes, if that makes me a bad person in your eyes, so be it. DG doesn't deserve any sympathy nor consideration. He is a monster and a waste of skin. Jmo

when he shows zero remorse for his crimes, it is offensive to me that he is protected and has so called rights. His victims had zero consideration from him. And yes, if that makes me a bad person in your eyes, so be it. DG doesn't deserve any sympathy nor consideration. He is a monster and a waste of skin. Jmo
If one feels that physical violence is not allowed as revenge for something they took offense to, like DG took revenge, then it's a bit odd to flip flop and argue that physical violence is okay as revenge.

If one feels that physical violence is not allowed as revenge for something they took offense to, like DG took revenge, then it's a bit odd to flip flop and argue that physical violence is okay as revenge.

Yes, and these four were also charged with aggravated assault. To support prison violence is to support the aggressors breaking the law. Considering that's the reason they're in prison, it just seems... well, pointless to encourage prisoners to break the law while they're in prison. No wonder they're often unable to break the cycle.

But I am seriously curious about something. For others here who believe a beating somehow served as a small semblance of justice, could you please explain why?

The way I see it - Garland in his 50s, a 1000-yard stare, displayed no emotion whatsoever through the trial. So he gets kicked or hit a few times and........? I can't help but be reminded of threatening a child with a spanking. From the perspective of the adult, it's really only a power and control thing, often to scare.

But Garland. He's certainly not going to cry. I don't think he'd be humiliated. An owie for a couple of days at the most? He'd be given pain killers. I'm very curious as to what positive result a beating might accomplish.

Off topic but about some
Of our convicted criminals of heinous acts are on this 5th estate episode. I started watching it and will finish this evening. Seems Interesting.

https://youtu.be/p6bsjcV5ttA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks dyanna. The unrepentant killers in this documentary are all classified as psychopaths of course. Interesting how both Russell Williams and DG were cross-dressers, as has been noted before.

Naturally everybody wants to understand "why" a killer takes a life. It's the first question that comes to mind. When Williams is asked why, he says he doesn't know, and then adds it probably doesn't matter. These people sent chills up my spine. I'm sure Garland would do the same if I could hear him being interviewed.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseymarie9316
Back