Still Missing Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 *Guilty* *Appeal* #29

As much as phycology intrigues me, we know very little about Garland. But from the little we do know, certain characteristics within the description of Antisocial Personality Disorder describe Garland almost to a tee. Creepy.

A) A pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others, occurring since age 15 years, as indicated by three or more of the following:
1) failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;
2) deception, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure;
3) impulsivity or failure to plan ahead;
4) irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults;
5) reckless disregard for safety of self or others;
6) consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations;
7) lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

What if DG fights back at the other inmates when he's not handcuffed?

I've been reading but i'm not participating in any conversations regarding sympathy or forgiveness for Douglas Garland. The conversation actually repulses me. All of my positive and good thoughts are being sent to the Liknes and O'Brien families.

That's nice :) (and kind of random) I was taught "you gotta love them all...you love some coming and you love some going...but you gotta love them all" lol There's no doubt your positive and good thoughts are reaching them and helping to support them...I join you in sending peace, love and healing to the victims' families.

I've been reading but i'm not participating in any conversations regarding sympathy or forgiveness for Douglas Garland. The conversation actually repulses me. All of my positive and good thoughts are being sent to the Liknes and O'Brien families.

Totally agree. There will always be bullying, both in and out of prison, and if DG gets bullied, oops. Too bad for him.

Totally agree. There will always be bullying, both in and out of prison, and if DG gets bullied, oops. Too bad for him.
One person expressing an opinion about love and forgiveness isn't considered bullying. It differs from many people's opinions. It's not something to be scared of unless you want to live in a bubble.

I'm not a believer in false positives and forgiveness. However, for those who think DG should be beaten, where do the chain of beatings end then? What if one member of DG's family feels you deserve a beating for encouraging his beating? Then, what if a member of your family thinks DG got a righteous beating, and you got an unfair beating, so that DG family member deserves a beating for beating you? And so on.

<modsnip>

One person expressing an opinion about love and forgiveness isn't considered bullying. It differs from many people's opinions. It's not something to be scared of unless you want to live in a bubble.

I'm not a believer in false positives and forgiveness. However, for those who think DG should be beaten, where do the chain of beatings end then? What if one member of DG's family feels you deserve a beating for encouraging his beating? Then, what if a member of your family thinks DG got a righteous beating, and you got an unfair beating, so that DG family member deserves a beating for beating you? And so on.

<modsnip>

We do not know why DG was beaten. I know if he came in my yard by some miracle, my reaction would be visceral...It would not be about him, but all about me... Straight emotional response, maybe the inmates reacted that way..

And if I turn on the news tomorrow and learned North Korea leader Kim Jong -un has been thrown in a meat grinder, I will open a bottle of wine.. Chin chin or cheers . Certainly would not pray for him.

If one feels that physical violence is not allowed as revenge for something they took offense to, like DG took revenge, then it's a bit odd to flip flop and argue that physical violence is okay as revenge.

Not sure how I feel on this issue.

I think if someone kidnapped, raped and tortured my 5yo daughter. I'd have a hard time restraining myself from formulating a plan to "repay" them in some way.
I do know I would certainly think about doing so.

As for the guy they convicted in this case, probably would have been better if he had a fall, cracked his skull open on the concrete floor and slowly bled to death while calling out for help...with no one around to hear him.

Not sure how I feel on this issue.

I think if someone kidnapped, raped and tortured my 5yo daughter. I'd have a hard time restraining myself from formulating a plan to "repay" them in some way.
I do know I would certainly think about doing so.

As for the guy they convicted in this case, probably would have been better if he had a fall, cracked his skull open on the concrete floor and slowly bled to death while calling out for help...with no one around to hear him.

Like the movie " the lovely bones, it was an icicle that fell on his head and he felled to his death.

Did anyone saw the movie . "We need to talk about Kevin" very powerful movie. I love the ending when Kevin was asked why by his mother and he said 'I thought i knew but now I'm not sure'.

We do not know why DG was beaten. I know if he came in my yard by some miracle, my reaction would be visceral...It would not be about him, but all about me... Straight emotional response, maybe the inmates reacted that way..

What do you mean "We do not know why DG was beaten".

Wasn't he attacked by four criminals from behind in a common area at 10:30PM in a Remand Centre?
Wasn't it the same day that he was sentenced to 75 years for savagely murdering a child and his grandparents?

We know why Garland was put in the hospital.

What do you mean "We do not know why DG was beaten".

Wasn't he attacked by four criminals from behind in a common area at 10:30PM in a Remand Centre?
Wasn't it the same day that he was sentenced to 75 years for savagely murdering a child and his grandparents?

We know why Garland was put in the hospital.

I meant the reason behind the beating. We are speculating on that a little...

I meant the reason behind the beating. We are speculating on that a little...

Really? It seems obvious. Garland was convicted of the murders and sentenced to 75 years for the evilness. Although he had been in protective custody for 2.5 years, it sounds like he was in an open population when he was attacked from behind by four <modsnip> who targeted his head and internal organs - like kidneys, spleen, etcetera.

What's to speculate on ... whether he was attacked because it was confirmed earlier that day that he killed a 5 year old child and his grandparents ... after 2.5 years where it was still a question? What's the alternative reason ... that the prison <modsnip> are simply nuts - randomly attacking strangers for kicks? In Peru, I could see that happening, but not in Canada.

Really? It seems obvious. Garland was convicted of the murders and sentenced to 75 years for the evilness. Although he had been in protective custody for 2.5 years, it sounds like he was in an open population when he was attacked from behind by four <modsnip> who targeted his head and internal organs - like kidneys, spleen, etcetera.

What's to speculate on ... whether he was attacked because it was confirmed earlier that day that he killed a 5 year old child and his grandparents ... after 2.5 years where it was still a question? What's the alternative reason ... that the prison <modsnip> are simply nuts - randomly attacking strangers for kicks? In Peru, I could see that happening, but not in Canada.

He was not a stranger to them, and I think you are overstating his injuries. Don't you think this kind of beatings are common in Canadian jails?

He was not a stranger to them,

We don't know that. Apparently this was the first time Garland was in open custody.

Don't you think this kind of beatings are common in Canadian jails?

Definitely not. The same Canadian laws apply inside jails as on the street.

The four have been charged with aggravated assault.

"Aggravated assault is an attempt to cause serious bodily injury to another or to cause serious bodily injury purposely, knowingly or recklessly, with an extreme indifference to the value of human life."
http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/violent_crimes/aggravated_assault.htm

I'm not sure why the perception is out there that prisoners beating on each other is a normal course of events, while guards turn a blind eye. I think it comes from the movies, but in Canada that's just not the reality.

Violence is not only a huge danger to guards who must break up fights, its costly if prisons are found to be negligent.

Federal, provincial governments face growing number of prison violence lawsuits
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...owing-number-of-prison-violence-lawsuits.html

We don't know that. Apparently this was the first time Garland was in open custody.

Definitely not. The same Canadian laws apply inside jails as on the street.

The four have been charged with aggravated assault.

"Aggravated assault is an attempt to cause serious bodily injury to another or to cause serious bodily injury purposely, knowingly or recklessly, with an extreme indifference to the value of human life."
http://criminal-law.freeadvice.com/criminal-law/violent_crimes/aggravated_assault.htm

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/inmate-at...ar-high-as-cellblock-violence-soars-1.1763337
I think it does not always make the news..

From the link in my above post.

"Meanwhile, the Correctional Service Canada website says Ottawa recorded contingent liability allowances for claims and litigations amounting to approximately $8.5 million this year, roughly double the figure listed two years earlier.

The department was also facing about $10 million in lawyers&#8217; fees in the last fiscal year. Correctional Service Canada said it was unable to provide comment on the figures or provide its position on lawsuits by press time."

Sure it happens, it happened to Garland. However when it happens it's illegal.

Surely we don't encourage illegal activity?

Adding - if you google, you'll notice there is presently a Class Action lawsuit filed against the Province of Ontario by prisoners.

No we do not but we can apply it to all prisoners.. not just the one that are celebrity cases.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PurplePoloBear
Back