Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paiken may have been referring to this?

The federal lobbying commissioner has dropped her high-profile investigation into Apotex founder Barry Sherman—and the Liberal fundraiser he hosted for Justin Trudeau—because she says there is no point in continuing the probe now that the billionaire drug maker is dead.

Barry Sherman's death cuts short the lobbying probe against him - Macleans.ca

Perhaps, but the impression I had was that it was a criminal investigation of some kind, and not the lobbying probe. Paiken seemed to intimate something more serious than the lobbying probe iirc. But the tweet isn’t around anymore, so I can’t give more information unfortunately.

The federal lobbying commissioner has dropped her high-profile investigation into Apotex founder Barry Sherman—and the Liberal fundraiser he hosted for Justin Trudeau—because she says there is no point in continuing the probe now that the billionaire drug maker is dead.

Barry Sherman's death cuts short the lobbying probe against him - Macleans.ca[/QUOTE

Perhaps but my impression was it involved a more serious criminal investigation, not the lobbying probe. Paiken referred to “sources” who had provided him the info, and Paiken claims he was merely repeating his sources use of the words “the noose was tightening”. But the tweet is gone so I can’t qoute it exactly.

Barry Sherman's death cuts short the lobbying probe against him - Macleans.ca[/QUOTE

Perhaps but my impression was it involved a more serious criminal investigation, not the lobbying probe. Paiken referred to “sources” who had provided him the info, and Paiken claims he was merely repeating his sources use of the words “the noose was tightening”. But the tweet is gone so I can’t qoute it exactly.

Feeling kind of bad for the guy, he apologized.
Steve Paikin on Twitter
"quite right. i didn't trip to that connotation when i first tweeted it. it was an accurate quote --- they weren't my words --- but i shouldn't have used that quote given how the bodies were found. i unreservedly apologize & have deleted the
tweet. #Sherman"

WARMINGTON: Questions surround deaths of billionaire couple
"Meanwhile, police have not commented on a tweet from Steve Paikin, of TVO’s The Agenda, that he had “heard from a trusted source that an alleged law enforcement investigation was closing in on the Shermans.”

I vague remember an investigation (not re Trud**u/lobbying) and I think, it is buried within the 12 threads here. Otherwise my memory fails atm, unfortunately. I'm still missing the keyword .... "Cartel" wasn't the right one, it seems.

The tps website still says the emergency call came in at 12.46 am, not 11.46 as previously published.

By the way:
How this Toronto pot facility helped Canopy land Drake - Article - BNN
Having a stake in the facility helps Drake and his team circumvent federal restrictions against celebrities endorsing cannabis companies, while providing the musician with greater control over his business ventures, said Jonathan Sherman, a partner at Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP, who advised Canopy on the More Life deal. Sherman said no other company courting Drake could have offered similar terms.

“This facility is the closest to the heart of the city,” Sherman told BNN Bloomberg in a phone interview. “The Toronto element was highly important, but what also helped was that Canopy had the largest number of [production] licences across the country which allows them to do a transaction like this without impacting their own business."

By the way:
How this Toronto pot facility helped Canopy land Drake - Article - BNN
Having a stake in the facility helps Drake and his team circumvent federal restrictions against celebrities endorsing cannabis companies, while providing the musician with greater control over his business ventures, said Jonathan Sherman, a partner at Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP, who advised Canopy on the More Life deal. Sherman said no other company courting Drake could have offered similar terms.
/QUOTE]

Good catch - except this is a different Jonathan Sherman. The Cassels, Brock website lists his education as B.Comm, McGill; JD, Osgoode. Called to the Ontario Bar 2015. Jonathan, not Jonathon.

Sorry - been trying to edit previous post :(

My comment (which appears as part of the quote) is:

Good catch - except this is a different Jonathan Sherman. The Cassels, Brock website lists his education as B.Comm, McGill; JD, Osgoode. Called to the Ontario Bar 2015. Jonathan, not Jonathon.

Considering how close D's house is to the S house, it would not have been surprising (and certainly intriguing) if that had been true! imo.

7 min (3.7 km) via Bayview Ave

Considering how close D's house is to the S house, it would not have been surprising (and certainly intriguing) if that had been true! imo.

7 min (3.7 km) via Bayview Ave

Along with the geographic proximity, the interest in cannabis investment is something one could imagine being shared by JS (without the expertise.)

I'm reading new posts from newest to old and just noticed the pic of JS (completely puzzled). Oh, sorry, my mistake with the wrong JS. I never had thought, it could be another person. :eek:o_O

Does the TPS have a flair for the dramatic? How likely would they wait until the anniversary of the crime, to announce arrests?

Does the TPS have a flair for the dramatic? How likely would they wait until the anniversary of the crime, to announce arrests?

If so, with the current mess on Toronto streets and a new pedestrian collision almost every day, it's the only thing they do have a flair for. I suspect we'll see another batch of media articles on the anniversary, but just recycling old information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus