Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Homicide #65/2017

Of note: the TPS website continues to show the date of death as Friday Dec 15 (not Dec 13); and still shows that TPS responded at 12.46 pm, a full hour later than has been previously reported and widely understood to be accurate.
How did you even find that? I looked the other day, and now again today, and the current cases show 2018, 2019, and 2020, but the cold cases show from 2016 and earlier... nowhere can I find 2017. Bizarre. Maybe it is a glitch in my computer? I turned off all of my blockers and etc.

How did you even find that? I looked the other day, and now again today, and the current cases show 2018, 2019, and 2020, but the cold cases show from 2016 and earlier... nowhere can I find 2017. Bizarre. Maybe it is a glitch in my computer? I turned off all of my blockers and etc.

Lol tps has deleted 2017 from their site. Yet They have every other year going back to 1989! Too embarrassing I guess....
I found it by going to the unsolved murders section and searching for “Sherman”.

Based on Barry's penchant for taking someone to court, I believe he would be all in for a trial and sentence.
Since it is a private matter, I wouldn't be sure, if not Honey would be the one, who would take someone to court. She cared for the money, and if money played a role, she would be adamant, I think. So my impression.

Getting close to three years now. Does anyone actually believe this is going to be solved?

Depends what you mean by 'solved'? Somebody found guilty in a court of law? Or a general acknowledgement of who perpetrated the crime?
Over the years there have been many murders that not concluded with a guilty verdict in criminal court, but a strong belief of who the perpetrator was. OJ Simpson case is just one example.

Depends what you mean by 'solved'? Somebody found guilty in a court of law? Or a general acknowledgement of who perpetrated the crime?
Over the years there have been many murders that not concluded with a guilty verdict in criminal court, but a strong belief of who the perpetrator was. OJ Simpson case is just one example.

There is no "general acknowledgement" of who killed the Shermans because TPS has never released one iota of evidence (or lack of evidence) they have in this case. In other cases, we get specific info on who, what and why search warrants were granted. KD, on behalf of the media, which is a usual practice, has gone to court to release this info, but has been unsuccessful in this case. So we don't have any credible LE investigation info to point a finger at anyone.

Other cases like OJ went to trial and although found not guilty, many people could determine that the case was "solved" in their minds, despite the lack of justice. If the Sherman case never goes to trial and TPS never releases info, there is no way it will be solved in our "minds".

There is no "general acknowledgement" of who killed the Shermans because TPS has never released one iota of evidence (or lack of evidence) they have in this case. In other cases, we get specific info on who, what and why search warrants were granted. KD, on behalf of the media, which is a usual practice, has gone to court to release this info, but has been unsuccessful in this case. So we don't have any credible LE investigation info to point a finger at anyone.

Other cases like OJ went to trial and although found not guilty, many people could determine that the case was "solved" in their minds, despite the lack of justice. If the Sherman case never goes to trial and TPS never releases info, there is no way it will be solved in our "minds".

I do not disagree with your concluding statement, I just think, over time, and I am talking in terms of years, information may come out, either from the TPS or people who have direct or indirect knowledge. Things like death bed confessions, biographies, accidental disclosures, anonymous revelations, plea deals, and so on.

Wondering who now will fight the fights that Barry used to fight?
BRIEF-Supernus Pharmaceuticals Sued Apotex Inc And Apotex Corp For Infringement Of 9 Patents Covering Its Antiepileptic Drug Oxtellar Xr
''June 26 (Reuters) - Supernus Pharmaceuticals Inc:
* SUPERNUS PHARMACEUTICALS - SUED APOTEX INC. AND APOTEX CORP FOR INFRINGEMENT OF 9 PATENTS COVERING ITS ANTIEPILEPTIC DRUG OXTELLAR XR''
Yes, will be interesting? Here is a link where a bit more info is given:

Supernus Sues Apotex for Infringement of Oxtellar XR® Patents | Supernus Pharmaceuticals

Curious if the other heads of generic drug companies have paid close attention to the Sherman case and if so, have they taken extra security measures since the murders?.
U.S. charges generic drug firm Glenmark with price-fixing | The Guardian
Reuters
Published: a day ago
''WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Glenmark Pharmaceuticals USA was charged on Tuesday with conspiring to fix prices for generic drugs, the U.S. Justice Department said in a statement.

Glenmark allegedly conspired with pharmaceutical maker Apotex Corp and other generic drug companies to increase the prices of cholesterol medication pravastatin and other generic drugs, the department said.''

''The price-fixing conspiracy allegedly took place from 2013 to 2015 and caused a loss to victims of at least $200 million, according to the department.

The charge against Apotex was resolved in May by a deferred prosecution agreement in which the company agreed to pay $24 million.''

I remember very early in this case, before my opinion got coloured by the drama involved in BS's life with his children, FD, and the cousins, I thought for sure the deaths were related to the drug industry, specifically the manufacturing of cannabis. And I always thought it a little odd that Julian Fantino inserted himself into the investigation even though he hadn't been the police chief for over 15 years.

"The charge against Apotex was resolved in May by a deferred prosecution agreement in which the company agreed to pay $24 million.''

When I read this, I was immediately reminded of the SNC- Lavalin case and the Jody Wilson-Raybould controversy over a deferred prosecution agreement. I wonder who decided in this case, Apotex would be offered a DPA?

This and other drug company issues, in my opinion, had nothing to do with the Sherman's demise, however interesting coincidences.

What’s up with the SCC Estate/Donovan case?

It had been postponed to June from its original date of March 26th due to COVID-19 restrictions, but now I cannot see it being marked as scheduled—and the application still seems active.
Supreme Court of Canada - SCC Case Information - Docket - 38695

The appeal was heard in June via teleconference.

It can take up to 6 months for a decision to be rendered after the hearing of an appeal.

24. When can I expect to learn of the Court's decision in a leave application or an appeal?
Decisions on leave applications are rendered on average 3 months after the leave application is filed. Judgments on appeals are rendered on average 6 months after the hearing of the appeal.

Right now both parties are on pins and needles.

The appeal was heard in June via teleconference.

It can take up to 6 months for a decision to be rendered after the hearing of an appeal.

24. When can I expect to learn of the Court's decision in a leave application or an appeal?
Decisions on leave applications are rendered on average 3 months after the leave application is filed. Judgments on appeals are rendered on average 6 months after the hearing of the appeal.

Right now both parties are on pins and needles.
Welcome to Ws SlappyWhite, thanks for the information!

July 3 2020 By Kevin Donovan
Toronto property where Honey Sherman planned to build her dream home sells for $7.4 million — $900,000 below asking
''The pie slice-shaped lot where Honey Sherman was planning to build her dream home — more than one half-acre in the heart of Toronto’s Forest Hill neighbourhood — has sold for $7.4 million.

A builder, who plans to construct two homes, picked up the property two weeks ago, paying $900,000 less than the current listing price. A year ago, the property was first offered at $9.9 million.

Toronto realtor Judi Gottlieb, who was friends with Honey and Barry Sherman, handled the transaction.

“I wish Honey and Barry were still alive and could have built their home,” Gottlieb told the Star.

The transaction has been listed on the Toronto Real Estate Board’s database, but the full details of the sale, including the name of the buyer, are not yet recorded at the provincial land registry. Gottlieb would not disclose the identity of the purchasers, except to say that it is a builder.''

''Sources close to the planning of the new home, including members of the Sherman family, have told the Star that one source of tension was the rising cost of the build as Honey added in more features and Barry worked to negotiate the cost downwards.''

''The lot that was the site of the Sherman’s former home at 50 Old Colony Road is not currently listed for sale.''

July 3 2020 By Kevin Donovan
Toronto property where Honey Sherman planned to build her dream home sells for $7.4 million — $900,000 below asking
''The pie slice-shaped lot where Honey Sherman was planning to build her dream home — more than one half-acre in the heart of Toronto’s Forest Hill neighbourhood — has sold for $7.4 million.

''Sources close to the planning of the new home, including members of the Sherman family, have told the Star that one source of tension was the rising cost of the build as Honey added in more features and Barry worked to negotiate the cost downwards.''

rsbm

Thanks dotr,

Although I can't access the Star, I am really surprised that KD has now reported sources "close to the planning" (as in the architects?) and Sherman family members who both have apparently verified that there was tension between Barry and Honey over the rising cost of the house build.

We can recall that at least one WS member mentioned that Barry didn't want to move, and thought that the Sherman's meeting with the architects the day they died had to do with Barry going into a rage after the meeting and killing Honey.

Without reading KD's entire article, I'm not sure why he even mentioned the tension between B and H regarding the new build.

rsbm

Thanks dotr,

Although I can't access the Star, I am really surprised that KD has now reported sources "close to the planning" (as in the architects?) and Sherman family members who both have apparently verified that there was tension between Barry and Honey over the rising cost of the house build.

We can recall that at least one WS member mentioned that Barry didn't want to move, and thought that the Sherman's meeting with the architects the day they died had to do with Barry going into a rage after the meeting and killing Honey.

Without reading KD's entire article, I'm not sure why he even mentioned the tension between B and H regarding the new build.

snippets..rbbm.
''Yet she loved a new project and with her sister and best friend Mary Shechtman, she conceived of the idea to leave Old Colony and build a mansion in Toronto’s posh Forest Hill neighbourhood.''

''Barry, friends say, wanted Honey to be happy and grudgingly agreed to change his commute home, which when they moved would involve more internal Toronto streets.For Honey, this was part of an ongoing effort to have more say in the financial affairs of the family. As the Star has previously reported, Barry was planning to give her a significant amount of money she could call her own, and at the same time he was contemplating giving much of his fortune to charity. Neither plans had been put into effect at the time of the murders. Toronto Police have said information related to Barry Sherman’s estate is “embedded” in its own police investigation.''

I have a problem sending a personal message, which I have voiced before. There is no option to click on "send". What am I missing?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member