CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or someone who cannot think of any reason why to murder her sister in such an up close and personal manner.

That is a hard pill to swallow, knowing it could be someone close to you. IMO hard to form logical thoughts. the "What If's" that would go through the family minds every time they see someone that knows the family well.

What a horrible life to live. Is this where the term money brings out the bad and the evil? that having so much money is not good but a curse.
Yes, MS seemed much happier when she has BS’ money to spend

Yes, MS seemed much happier when she has BS’ money to spend
this is not ur ordinary family dynamics is a thing some ppl dont understand
wasnt she in orlando after the murder

this is not ur ordinary family dynamics is a thing some ppl dont understand
wasnt she in orlando after the murder
2020 rbbm
''Stern told police that while Banks was downstairs she telephoned Mary Shechtman in Florida. Shechtman was Honey’s sister and best friend. Shechtman had just left for Florida the day before. She had last spoken to Honey on the Wednesday, a quick chat on the phone. The plan was for Honey to join her the following week, and Barry the next week, according to Shechtman’s later interviews with police.

Detectives said Stern told them she first called Mary in Florida to “ask where Honey was because something weird was going on.”

Banks came back upstairs at this point “shaking and said that the Shermans were blue and clearly dead.” In a statement that was passed on to Shechtman that morning, Banks told Stern, “They were murdered.”

Shechtman told Stern to call police. Banks also called 911, as did a cousin of Honey’s in Toronto who was apparently alerted by Shechtman. Banks told a 911 dispatcher the two people in the pool room were certainly dead and “she would not be performing CPR.”

The eighth interview is largely unredacted — the interview with Honey’s sister Mary. Mary speaks highly of Honey and Barry, but allows that they do squabble from time to time.

“Mary says that when Barry and Honey would fight, they would both call Mary. They would fight, however they could not live without each other as Honey and Barry were married for 40 years,” Shechtman told police “Barry and Honey would have fights about Barry not being home and working. Honey would complain about Barry not showing her enough attention and Honey always being the one making plans as Barry was not social.”

Shechtman also pointed out to the detectives that the Shermans never locked their doors and also that “everyone wanted to get near Barry and Honey because of their wealth.”

KD’s documentary, Episode 3 ‘Money Money Money’

New information and spoilers bolded.

-recap of last episodes, clips of people calling Honey tough, a person telling Honey ‘you can’t just do that, you can’t speak to people that way’.

-Barry described as a rule-breaker, making big financial bets, side businesses, he’s a ‘deal junky’.

-FD’A’s background, which we know has its scandals, and how he went into business with Barry. FD’A recalls the meeting, with F using words like ‘yes, sir’, and shaking his hand respectfully.

-Barry backed all his ideas, including paying for air time for the infomercial-type show ‘Being Frank’, and funding his 7 movies. Apparently Barry loved the movie business.

-FD’A doesn’t explain Sicilian Vampire, and I really need it explained to me.

-many people who knew Barry did not like his relationship with FD’A. Jack Kay many times told Barry: ‘you’ve got to cut him loose’.

-Former In house legal counsel Shashank Upadhye is in this episode. He was previously been quoted as saying FD’A shouted verbal abuse at Barry for many years.

-in this episode, Shashank says he overheard FD’A often yelling at Barry about financing, and needing investment money. Barry was quiet, not the type to shout back. He’d ask probing questions. Shashank suggested to Barry that he (Shashank) could ‘call security and get this guy thrown out’. Barry said no.

-Steelback under FD’A’s control, Steelback mounted up $120 million in debt from over 400 creditors, $101 million of that debt was owed to Barry.

-Sherman heirs disliked FD’A, and asked Jack Kay to tell him he was not invited to the memorial or funeral.

-Steelback formation and it’s quick rise and fall was discussed, Jonathon took control from FD’A, but it went under.

-Steelback beer was terrible.

-everyone described Barry’s & FD’A’s relationship as odd. KD speculates that Barry treated him like a son, and Jonathon wanted that attention from Barry for himself.

-person quoted as saying Barry loved FD’A (as a friend).

-FD’A talked about what a good friend he was to him.

-FD’A’s best story about Barry: Barry called him one afternoon and asked him if they could meet to discuss something, and suggested FD’A’s restaurant which wasn’t open at that hour. FD’A meets him and Barry asked him to cook for him. Barry wanted penne and bread, and they had a few glasses of wine. They ate and talked and FD’A asked him what he wanted to talk to him about. Barry said ‘nothing. I just wanted to have lunch.’ FD’A said why didn’t you just ask me to make you lunch?! and Barry laughed. He was too embarrassed to just ask him to cook for him.

-FD’A said he spoke to Barry ‘every day’, except for that last week. He spoke to him only on Monday, after Barry missed FD’A ‘s Christmas lunch. (My note: KD has reportedly reported that call happened on Tuesday night, the day before the murders.)

-frequent cuts to the graphic design images of Barry and Honey deceased in the pool room, with close ups and from different angles.

-KD said that he and the private investigators have checked, and FD’A has an alibi for the evening of the murders.

-FD’A is upset that he’s portrayed as ‘shady’.

-MS reportedly told KD that she didn’t think FD’A was involved because he ‘lost everything’ when Barry died.

-KD talks about setting up the meeting with Jonathon. (Details have been previously reported, I won’t repeat them. There’s a summary and excerpt in the media thread.)

-KD believes Barry looked at FD’A like a son, a son who really tried hard.

-KD gets into the 2015 email argument between Barry and Jonathon about FD’A, and ‘palace coup’ ( also on media page).

-Brian Greenspan team investigation details, all things we know.

-KD believes the Thursday morning visitor was a plain clothed police officer responding to a 911 call that was made, possibly by Honey the night before. (More of that in next episode.)

-The trustees didn’t want it to be known who they were. A Sherman friend on the documentary said she knew of a home (in Forest Hill) that Barry had bought. After the murders, the owners on title were changed to the trustees of the estate. (Why the home was involved is not explained.)

-destruction of 50 Old Colony, a friend watched it and saw Honey’s table lamp and desk chair she used, and family photographs destroyed. It was sad.

-police have a theory of case, they just can’t prove it. It’s related to the estate.

-Alexandra has told many people that she suspects Jonathon, it’s not a secret.

-preview of Episode 4: did Honey have a will? KD’s visit to Jonathon’s home. KD has a theory.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018
Frank D'Angelo and the panel give their two cents on the ridiculous accusations made by Barry Sherman's cousin in an interview with DailyMailTV.

'' D’Angelo himself stars as Sonny Trafficante, the mobster who gets bitten by a bat and turns vampire. Ostensible plot aside, much of the film consists of Sonny and his friends sitting around busting each other’s balls, telling terrible jokes, or threatening each other in Italian.''
Post-screening, D’Angelo himself took the stage along with Esposito and longtime business partner Barry Sherman, a pharmaceutical company co-founder and co-investor. In the Q&A, D’Angelo said he’d made the film for $15 million Canadian ($11.3 million U.S.) and indicated that most of that money went to make sure people like Caan and Sorvino would show up: “Otherwise you get the guy from the Alpo commercial.” Another part of the budget went to use the wildly expensive 6K Red cameras, effectively the highest-resolution digital cameras readily available on the market. (The film looks like it was shot with a basic consumer camera.) ''

Thank you Lexi! I'm not surprised that FD'A wasn't liked by a lot of people as I find him way too full of himself. Interesting that JK told Barry to rid himself of FD'A but I seem to remember that the 2 of them had lunch after Barry passed. Wonder why.

Also about the Forest Hill house, that's kind of odd. I can see them changing it to the name of the heirs once the will was read but the trustees? I wonder what it means? It must be relevant otherwise why include it in the story?

Feb 2, 2018
Frank D'Angelo and the panel give their two cents on the ridiculous accusations made by Barry Sherman's cousin in an interview with DailyMailTV.

'' D’Angelo himself stars as Sonny Trafficante, the mobster who gets bitten by a bat and turns vampire. Ostensible plot aside, much of the film consists of Sonny and his friends sitting around busting each other’s balls, telling terrible jokes, or threatening each other in Italian.''
Post-screening, D’Angelo himself took the stage along with Esposito and longtime business partner Barry Sherman, a pharmaceutical company co-founder and co-investor. In the Q&A, D’Angelo said he’d made the film for $15 million Canadian ($11.3 million U.S.) and indicated that most of that money went to make sure people like Caan and Sorvino would show up: “Otherwise you get the guy from the Alpo commercial.” Another part of the budget went to use the wildly expensive 6K Red cameras, effectively the highest-resolution digital cameras readily available on the market. (The film looks like it was shot with a basic consumer camera.) ''
He says in this clip that he never had an argument with Barry in 17 years. I guess yelling at someone to the point it can be heard through closed doors isn't an argument because it's one sided.

Kevin Donovan’s documentary episode 4, series finale.

New information and spoilers bolded.

-The entire series has frequently cut to recreated images of the hall leading to the pool room and the room itself, with the deceased Shermans accurately depicted. This episode gives closeups.

-KD discussed the sculptures.

- Former FBI profiler: This crime reeks of someone they know or someone really close to them.

-effect of the pandemic and the stall in KD obtaining information about the investigation is discussed. KD gets hold of witness interviews. Each of the four children identify people they believe are suspects, but it is blacked out.

-The relationship between Honey and her children was not a positive one.

-Anonymous service worker: ‘The times that I (heard them speak to her), they were just rude. It was (hilarious?) <my note: it was hard to hear her> because she was pretty nice and timid, and they spoke to her the way that she spoke to other people that she didn’t know. They were incredibly disrespectful.’ <Previously this person said that Honey was rude to wait staff and service people she didn’t know >.

-Barry was in financial trouble prior to the murders as he was not liquid and owed a $580 million judgement. He was calling in loans.

-Jonathon agreed to an interview at his home, and KD told a family source about it. A family source called him quickly and told him to ‘watch his back’: Alexandra believes he was involved in the murders.

-KD described meeting Jonathon. He videotaped his drive to the home and told someone in LE that he was going to meet him.

-Jonathon lives on a heavily wooded large estate.

-KD wonders if it’s a set up, and says “Once more into the breach” (A Shakespeare quote: ‘Once more unto the breach … or close the wall up with our English dead' can be paraphrased as 'charge at the wall once more or die in the attempt'.)

-Jonathon would look off to the side when answering KD’s questions.

-KD described the interview we all know (excerpt and link in media thread.)

-Jonathon believes FD’A had something he was holding over Barry, but doesn’t know what it was.

-Jonathon showed him a photo of his hand with crypto currency codes connected to an account, time stamped 7:17, December 13th, the night of the murders. The documentary has an illustration of the photo. It had the words : ‘cycle, giants, rollover, camping, yellow,’ (some words and numbers were covered by his fingers), a series of numbers and letters.

-KD had previously spoken to a friend of Jonathon’s who had told him he was Jonathon’s alibi: he was with him on the night of the murders. (Later this friend says he was mistaken, he was with him on Thursday night.)

-Jonathon “Only *I* know that I didn’t kill my parents. I’m the only person that knows that.”

-3 sisters are now against him.

-Jonathon discussed firing Jack K.

-KD: ‘I believed some of the things Jonathon said. I didn’t believe everything he said. But I don’t have the proof to disprove some of the key things he said’. (Yes, that’s verbatim.)

-KD talked to Alexandra. She said Jonathon is ‘power hungry and she didn’t like it.’ She grew up knowing Jack Kay. Jonathon started butting heads with him. Jonathon was trying to control everything.

-Jack Kay to Joe Warmington: Follow the money.

-KD won the SCC case, a huge win.

-he got hold of hundreds of documents about the estate at 5:30, got back to the office at 6:30, and the story was online by 9:00 pm.

-KD was surprised Honey died intestate. The anonymous person told of meeting Honey and how Honey told her about updating her will.

-The estate is divided between the four heirs. KD: ‘Are they in anyway involved? I don’t know. I do know the police consider the estate part of their investigation.’ He would expect at this point that the police would say the family is not involved. ‘We’ve not heard that’—KD.

-Many photos and closeups of Jonathon in this episode.

-KD has interviewed over 250 people connected to this case

-The day of December 13th was talked about, moment by moment (outlined on media thread), up to the time Honey arrived home.

-he believes she arrived home at 8:20 pm, and was attacked when arriving: she was either with someone who attacked her, or someone was waiting there.

-he believes she ran for the front door and dropped her phone (in the previous episode he suggested she may have tried to call 911).

-she was brought to the pool either unconscious or deceased.

-At Apotex, Barry had no idea about what had happened at home. He sent his last email from his desktop computer at Apotex at 8:23 pm, and was home by 9:00pm

-a friend says she believed the killer was waiting in the pool room and saw Barry’s headlights through the glass brick wall of the pool room as he entered the underground garage. That’s how they knew he was home. They went down the hallway and met him as he entered the home.

-KD believes: Barry was taken to the pool room while still alive, and he was showed Honey. Whoever did this to him wanted him to see his wife in that situation (bloodied, tied to the railing by her neck, unconscious or deceased). He was then killed with a thin ligature and staged similarly to the statues. (The pathologist said he believed there was significance to how Barry’s legs were crossed and the way he was posed or staged.)

-the thin ligature was used to kill them, the belts simply kept them in position.

-FBI profiler: that was done as a shock factor for whoever walks in and finds them.

-pathologist: the killer took delight in setting the scene.

-KD talked about the Thursday visitor caught on cctv, and the 911 call that was being investigated on Old Colony at the same time.

- He believes Honey made that 911 call using her cell phone on Wednesday evening when she was first attacked. (It’s difficult for the police to track 911 calls from cell phones, especially brief ones.)

-Chief Saunders said he knew who the Thursday morning visitor was and why he was at the home (no one else does that is close to the Shermans, including the PIs). To KD, that means the visitor was a plain clothed officer in an unmarked car.

-Friday December 15th morning and the discovery of the bodies were discussed, and then the ‘Walking Man’ suspect was talked about (details are in the timeline and posts on the media page.)

-police looked at about 300 people in the Shermans’ orbit from about September of 2017, to about 2 days after the murders to see if anyone was tracking them.

-police have cleared a few people, but their names are redacted in the courts documents.

-Different friends of the Shermans commend Kevin Donovan for his work on the case.

Clips of the interviews of dear Sherman friends Murray and Roda Rubin have been showed throughout the series and they’re given some of the last words, and it’s heart wrenching.

Murray Rubin: ‘Why can’t they find who did it?! That’s all I think about.’

Last words-KD: I have a theory of the case. I have a belief that I know who did it. I think the police share the same belief. They know that I’m not going away anytime soon. I’m going to keep fighting this fight. I do think that one day, the murders of Barry and Honey Sherman will be found out. I think that somebody out there knows a piece of information that will help. And my hunt continues.

Last edited:
There was a close-up depiction of the belts. Barry had worn one to work that day. In the documentary, it seems the other belt was left on the padded bench within the master bedroom.

The friend who had the theory of the killer waiting in the pool area for Barry is a good one, imo. That would explain why the main lights were off. As soon as Barry would arrive in the underground garage, his headlights would shine through the glass brick wall of the pool room.

They’d then go down the hall towards the spiral staircase and be close to the door Barry would be entering. The lights upstairs would illuminate that area, imo. (There were spotlights above that area.)

Thank you Lexi! I'm not surprised that FD'A wasn't liked by a lot of people as I find him way too full of himself. Interesting that JK told Barry to rid himself of FD'A but I seem to remember that the 2 of them had lunch after Barry passed. Wonder why.

Also about the Forest Hill house, that's kind of odd. I can see them changing it to the name of the heirs once the will was read but the trustees? I wonder what it means? It must be relevant otherwise why include it in the story?

I don’t quite get it. Unless the house was designated as a place where the trustees would meet and make decisions? A neutral, private place? Hopefully one with security.

The trustees wanted to keep their identities private, according to KD. So a secret place?

I hadn’t heard of Barry owning a Forest Hill home. Honey reportedly owned two.

ETA: Andrew’s post below may explain that it was normal procedure for the house to be put in the trustee’s names. So, no mystery club!

Last edited:

Once the executors receive the grant of probate, putting the house in their name - as executors - is completely normal. They can’t start dealing in real estate assets simply because the will has been read.

Thanks! I wonder why this part was even included as part of the show.

In context, he was talking about trying to gain access to the estate files. He was showing that the heirs and trustee’s names were public, so no reason to seal the estate files to protect them. I’m guessing he was just using that home as an example, but I don’t know why more a more familiar property like 50 Old Colony wasn’t used.

There was a close-up depiction of the belts. Barry had worn one to work that day. In the documentary, it seems the other belt was left on the padded bench within the master bedroom.

The friend who had the theory of the killer waiting in the pool area for Barry is a good one, imo. That would explain why the main lights were off. As soon as Barry would arrive in the underground garage, his headlights would shine through the glass brick wall of the pool room.

They’d then go down the hall towards the spiral staircase and be close to the door Barry would be entering. The lights upstairs would illuminate that area, imo. (There were spotlights above that area.)
But how did they know BS would park in the garage, and not outside on the driveway near the front of the house Or the front door?

In context, he was talking about trying to gain access to the estate files. He was showing that the heirs and trustee’s names were public, so no reason to seal the estate files to protect them. I’m guessing he was just using that home as an example, but I don’t know why more a more familiar property like 50 Old Colony wasn’t used.

In that context it makes total sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member