GUILTY Canada - Loretta Saunders, 26, Halifax, NS, 13 February 2014 #2

If she did want to distance herself from that lifestyle, what was she doing with people like Blake Leggette and Victoria Henneberry (nee: Galbraith)? How did they get the keys to her apartment?

Yes, as soon as it was known by the boyfriend's mother that the woman her son introduced was missing, she came immediately. There was a slight delay due to visa requirements, but she is with her son and mourning the loss of a woman with whom he thought he might live out his life.

Turkey has a different culture than Canada. In Canada, it might seem normal to be with a woman for two and a half years, start a family, and vanish. In Turkey, the culture is old because men do not abandon their wives.

Foreign students pay tuition of about $20,000 per year. That is reduced with scholarships, grants and bursaries. Canadian aboriginals. which make up 1,500,000/35,000,000 of the population, have an option on an additional $10 million in free post secondary education benefits, plus provincial benefits. I can't understand why either would be short of funds short of mismanaging funds.

//You know I am just being the devils advocate to create good exhaustive discussion. If we are all thinking the same thing, then someone's not thinking. :)

// The only way to reconcile this would be that her room mates are simply that, not her associates or friends. Seeing they were strangers she probably had no intention of associating with them outside of the boundaries of room mates.

But how did they get her keys?

//You know I am just being the devils advocate to create good exhaustive discussion. If we are all thinking the same thing, then someone's not thinking. :)

It's easy to defeat a false argument.

I quote " pot does that" this was your quote when referring to a possible reason for her judgement. What were you inferring there and what is your point with that comment.

My point of her possible compromised judgement was , the business of school and life.

that would be more of the reasoning I would think

It is possible of outside influence. Right now all we have like it has already been said a few times is the Kijiji connection.

there have been countless studies already. Minister of Justice Peter MacKay stated in a recent interview. There is a link in a previous post.

I have seen that statistic and was alarmed at that myself. My opinion is that strong families make strong countries. Whether they are native or non native is not the issue,if a family is broken that is the first piece of the puzzle that must be fixed.

The quote function is really easy to use, and it facilitates looking at the big picture ... the entire comment rather than " pot does that". For some strange reason, " pot does that" doesn't sound like something that I would post on a forum.

... and again, the fragmented sentences.

There is nothing about the business of school and life that includes giving one's keys to complete strangers. Did Loretta give first month free until mid-February and then expect a cheque for rent and damage deposit? Rent plus damage deposit would be $355 X 2 for a one bedroom.

The only information we have about how Loretta connected with Blake/Victoria is that either she found them on kijiji, or they were recommended by the "boyfriend". We don't know what Loretta's brother meant when he said the "boyfriend" recommended Blake/Victoria to Loretta. It might be the person that the family refers to as the partner, and there is prior history between the victim and this new person in the investigation, or the Turkish boyfriend recommended the grifters.

I have no idea if VH is involved in other murders or not but I saw someone say how would she have even known the person in the armed forces? Besides a previously mentioned tie to the military she may have lived in a rooming house that rented rooms to military and civilians. With the base in Petawawa there are always soldiers and their families & friends needing temporary housing. If you look on Kijiji even today you will see ads of rooms for rent to troops in Petawawa. Just saying it would not be hard for her to have met the troops.

BTW Loretta's body was found in Salisbury, home to a Royal Canadian Air Cadet Squadron, the 580 A/M Hugh Campbell Squadron. Lets hope there wasn't any Colonel Russell Williams lurking in there. If that would be the case, Loretta would have been transported alive to them.

The quote function is really easy to use, and it facilitates looking at the big picture ... the entire comment rather than " pot does that". For some strange reason, " pot does that" doesn't sound like something that I would post on a forum.

Here is your post to help refresh your memory.

BBM

Pot use does that.
Perhaps it's also a side effect of methadone treatment ... compromised judgement?

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased Canada - Loretta Saunders, 26, Halifax NS, 13 Feb 2014 #2

Is there any link on the out come of those charges? I didn't see the results of the court hearing as to if Loretta got off on those charges.
Here in Ontario, the police can charge everyone occupying or "found in" when they do a raid. Sort of guilty by association. They say be very careful of the company you keep. It is quite possible to be charged with possession, but not even actually know that some one at a particular residence is even in possession of a narcotic. I am not familiar with anyone being charged as "found in" or how they faired in the judicial system. I am unsure as well if this is Canada wide or just here in Ontario. Loretta may have been charged and not have known anything about the weed in this case.
She may have been an innocent bystander. Innocent until proven guilty by a court of law.

Does anyone know how the free scholarships for Native Canadians works? I have a relative who just got status cards for her husband & 3 kids because they may be eligible for free post secondary education. Currently you must reside on a reserve to qualify according to this family. Is Hopedale a reserve? Just curious if Loretta qualified for one of these.

As for the $700, I thought I read that the accused moved in mid month Jan. I am wondering if they had arranged to pay rent not by the bedrooms as in half and half, but more on a per person basis or a combination of both occupying a bed room and per person? Maybe they still owed for part of January as well?

I am an off reserve native canadian (1/4). I'm fair skinned, blue eyed like loretta.
I attended community college and university with a free scholarship. This was 10 years ago but back then I had my tuition and books paid for and received $750 a month for living expenses. I had roommates and did not have to work because of the living expenses given to me however I did anyways.

If she was under financial distress, she should have given up her apartment entirely, not kept it and given the keys to strangers.

When I lived in Halifax, there was a 3 month notice period required to give landlords when exiting a lease, meaning not easy to get out of, and maybe she decided to sub-let until she could get out of it.

In addition, it's a student town with a huge rental market with its own sort of sub-culture. People end up living with people they wouldn't normally expect to, and I speak from experience. You can't make any assumptions about what kinds of room mates a person "should" end up with, it's more about who you can actually find.

In addition, in the price range she would've been at, at one time of the year, it's easy to find room-mates and subletters. At any other time of the year, it's next to impossible.

And the last point, but I think it's important. We know that LS had addiction issues and we know of this former arrest. SHE, based on her own experience, may not have painted all people involved with drugs as potential murderers not to be trusted. You make decisions about people based partly on where you've come from in your life.

All of these comments about "how could she have rented to them" are strange to me. She needed rent covered, she's a student, she's not rolling in the money, it's a tough rental market, and maybe she didn't pass judgment on them because of their transient lifestyle or background.

Is there another living place?

LS's sister specifically states in the memorial group that she is staying at her's and loretta's apartment. Or is this just what she called it when she lived there.

...where it needs to be understood why more aboriginal men than women are murdered by their spouses, as compared to the non-aboriginal population.

Alaska must have an Inuit population. What is the spousal homicide rate for aboriginal males in Alaska? Is it 38 times higher than the non-aboriginal population?

From the article you quote:

"The spousal homicide rate is 8 times greater for Aboriginal women in Canada than it is for non-Aboriginal women.

For Aboriginal men in Canada, the spousal homicide rate is 38 times greater than it is for non-Aboriginal men.

Three times as many Aboriginal women are murdered by their spouse than are Aboriginal men."

In other words, 114 times as many Aboriginal women are victims of spousal homicide than are non-Aboriginal men. This is the statistic that was central to Loretta's research and the cause for concern among all Canadians.

When I lived in Halifax, there was a 3 month notice period required to give landlords when exiting a lease, meaning not easy to get out of, and maybe she decided to sub-let until she could get out of it.

In addition, it's a student town with a huge rental market with its own sort of sub-culture. People end up living with people they wouldn't normally expect to, and I speak from experience. You can't make any assumptions about what kinds of room mates a person "should" end up with, it's more about who you can actually find.

In addition, in the price range she would've been at, at one time of the year, it's easy to find room-mates and subletters. At any other time of the year, it's next to impossible.

And the last point, but I think it's important. We know that LS had addiction issues and we know of this former arrest. SHE, based on her own experience, may not have painted all people involved with drugs as potential murderers not to be trusted. You make decisions about people based partly on where you've come from in your life.

All of these comments about "how could she have rented to them" are strange to me. She needed rent covered, she's a student, she's not rolling in the money, it's a tough rental market, and maybe she didn't pass judgment on them because of their transient lifestyle or background.

The thank you button just wasn't enough for me on this post as I agree with it entirely and happy that someone could word it better then I could have, so thank you.
Just using your post to ask a question if anyone knows the answer would be great.
How does anyone know if Loretta was using drugs when she was murdered? Do you have an autopsy and toxicology report you can share with me?
Also if we don't have these 2 documents how do we know for sure she was pregnant?

The question is not necessarily why did she rent to them, but rather why did she give them the keys to her apartment when they didn't pay rent.

The thank you button just wasn't enough for me on this post as I agree with it entirely and happy that someone could word it better then I could have, so thank you.
Just using your post to ask a question if anyone knows the answer would be great.
How does anyone know if Loretta was using drugs when she was murdered? Do you have an autopsy and toxicology report you can share with me?
Also if we don't have these 2 documents how do we know for sure she was pregnant?
Excellent points. We have absolutely no reason to believe Loretta was using drugs when she was murdered.

Nope--there is no autopsy or tox report yet; and there is not liable to be one until trial.

Good point about the pregnancy, too. It is mentioned in many main stream media reports, but the time varies from three week to three months.

We have the most information from Yalcin--and he mentions that Loretta took what sounds to me like a home pregnancy test and did not have it officially confirmed.

Quote: Surkultay said Saunders was not three months pregnant, as has previously been reported, but said she took a pregnancy test a few weeks ago that was positive. He said she was going to have a blood test done to confirm it.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...oyfriend-she-meant-everything-to-me-1.2545968

Loretta didn't just hand her keys over to anyone. She either sublet her apartment to them or had a shared arrangement--both have been reported so it's kind of hard to be sure of which it is.

Either way, when you are sharing your apartment with someone you have to allow them a set of keys. There was some kind of arrangement obviously or she would not have expected them to pay their share of the rent.

All the interviews from anyone that knew Victoria are pointing to people who are "shocked" that she is facing first degree murder charges.

If people who thought they knew her for years are "shocked," it's not hard to tell what a chameleon she can be.

I don't think Loretta had any idea of what she was dealing with. If her alleged murderers were good at anything, it was hiding, telling lies, appearing to be what they were not, and running.

The law finally caught them, but it is too late for Loretta and her unborn child. :(

From the article you quote:

"The spousal homicide rate is 8 times greater for Aboriginal women in Canada than it is for non-Aboriginal women.

For Aboriginal men in Canada, the spousal homicide rate is 38 times greater than it is for non-Aboriginal men.

Three times as many Aboriginal women are murdered by their spouse than are Aboriginal men."

In other words, 114 times as many Aboriginal women are victims of spousal homicide than are non-Aboriginal men. This is the statistic that was central to Loretta's research and the cause for concern among all Canadians.
BBM - and that is a significant cause for concern, imo.

The question is not necessarily why did she rent to them, but rather why did she give them the keys to her apartment when they didn't pay rent.

otto, please read studyer's post again carefully as you will have the answer you are seeking.

otto, please read studyer's post again carefully as you will have the answer you are seeking.
I see the answer there, too.

It's not uncommon at all where I live to have your rent due at the end of the month.

Often, there is a "damage deposit fee" that is required up front; but it is not required by law. If Loretta was subletting, or sharing--she was probably responsible for the damage deposit fee and had paid it when she signed the lease to her apartment; or before she initially moved in, in any event.

It makes sense to me that she wouldn't have required the subletters or roommates--which ever these two actually were--to pay that fee.

Loretta was kind and generous; intelligent; hard working; and very giving. Those aren't traits that she should have been ashamed of, imo.

I apologize in advance if this shouldn't be linked here; but I think it is related and offers an excellent explanation into the background of Loretta's family's appeal for an inquiry.

Aljazeera | Seeking justice for Canada's murdered women
Hundreds of aboriginal women have been murdered or are missing, prompting calls for a national public inquiry.
Megan O'Toole Last updated: 06 Mar 2014 14:32

Buried under more than a foot of freshly fallen snow, the frozen body of Loretta Saunders, a pregnant Inuit student from the eastern Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador, was found by police last week.

Read more: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fe...e-canada-murdered-women-2014338655968569.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back