GUILTY Canada - Loretta Saunders, 26, Halifax, NS, 13 February 2014 #2

Loretta didn't need to think about tuition again until after she wrote the LSAT and was accepted to a law school. September 2014 would be out of the question as applications usually have to be in by Feb-Apr, and we haven't heard that she applied or was accepted pending LSAT scores (something that I'm sure would have been mentioned by now). Regarding finances for aboriginals interested in post-secondary studies:

"More than $10 million in bursaries and scholarships are available to Canadian Aboriginal students for their post-secondary education. Many organizations, institutions and private sector businesses offer bursaries to [aboriginal] students who want to continue their studies in college and university after high school."

http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1100100033691/1100100033692#

A bright young aboriginal woman interested in studying law would have no problem obtaining the required bursaries and scholarships to pay tuition and more in order to attend law school.

[modsnip]

There's something wrong with the claim that Loretta did not require any money from two homeless, unemployed strangers until a couple of weeks after she gave them the keys to her apartment, and that the amount that she was collecting was approximately the same as a month rent, but Loretta was still living there at the same time. It doesn't add up. It also doesn't add up that she was cleaning up her life (drug history) and she chose two roommates with what is most likely a current drug history.

Could it be that Loretta was collecting first and last month rent together? For example, could they be paying one half of the rent, times 2, equals the whole amount, but is for two months? Just a thought?

Could it be that Loretta was collecting first and last month rent together? For example, could they be paying one half of the rent, times 2, equals the whole amount, but is for two months? Just a thought?
I find this to be an entirely likely scenario.

I have never heard of having an option to pay rent a month after occupying a residence. I don't believe that any landlord would put do something that irresponsible. Typically, occupying a residence without paying rent is called squatting.

I have never heard of having an option to pay rent a month after occupying a residence. I don't believe that any landlord would put do something that irresponsible. Typically, occupying a residence without paying rent is called squatting.
I am also confused on why they were allowed to stay there for a month with out paying but then again maybe they made up a story on why they could not pay when they moved in and then she started insisting that she be paid or else they needed to leave.

I am also confused on why they were allowed to stay there for a month with out paying but then again maybe they made up a story on why they could not pay when they moved in and then she started insisting that she be paid or else they needed to leave.

The story we've been told is that Loretta needed rent money and therefore she was looking for a roommate. Instead of finding a roommate and collecting rent money, she gave her keys to a couple of homeless drifters. There's something wrong with this. That's all there is to it. Furthermore, it's unheard of that rent is collected after tenants occupy a rental accommodation ... that does not happen, not even in Canada.

Furthermore, it's unheard of that rent is collected after tenants occupy a rental accommodation ... that does not happen, not even in Canada.

It does happen. It's happened to me. And I've done it to others. it's not wise, but it's done.

And also, even if/when you get that first month's rent, they now have the key and have moved in and you have no way of knowing whether you'll get paid at all after that. There is always this risk, even when you have post-dated cheques because those can bounce. That's why there are evictions for non-payment. So putting a lot of emphasis on whether or not she collected a month's rent in advance means you're assuming she had the same view on what she should've done to mitigate that risk.

It does happen. It's happened to me. And I've done it to others. it's not wise, but it's done.

And also, even if/when you get that first month's rent, they now have the key and have moved in and you have no way of knowing whether you'll get paid at all after that. There is always this risk, even when you have post-dated cheques because those can bounce. That's why there are evictions for non-payment. So putting a lot of emphasis on whether or not she collected a month's rent in advance means you're assuming she had the same view on what she should've done to mitigate that risk.

That's true. I am assuming that a mature university student with some street smarts will collect rent and damage deposit prior to giving out the keys to her apartment. This was where she lived and kept her things. By all accounts, she simply gave out the keys to her apartment, which contained her belongings, and she received nothing in exchange. On this basis, I am inclined to believe that the victim had some other connection to the suspects.

I imagine that, based on my experience, since Loretta was subleting the room out, Loretta paid the full rent bill directly to the landlord. Then, it was probably expected that Blake and Victoria were to pay Loretta back for their portion of the rent. So the landlord probably didn't care what was going on because the full rent was paid for, and you are probably right that VB probably gave Loretta some sob-story saying that they would pay her back for their portion in x amount of time. Loretta might have been compassionate to them or she might not have had the backbone to tell them otherwise until she went there that day. :(

It's been awhile since I've weighed in, and so............

As a "professional student" who has gone through more than 10 years of university and two Master's programs, I can honestly say that the honor's thesis itself should not be overlooked as a factor in compromising her judgement (if it was ever indeed compromised). Students lives can fall apart when they go up against a thesis--however passionate one may be about a topic, it is an extremely stressful endeavor.

Also, while I believe that there was some previous connection between LS and her roommates, I can confirm that the subletting scene in any university town is hit or miss. I generally subletted my apartment through the summer, since 12 month contracts are standard and I only needed to be there 8 months at a time. Some people were great--others not so great. I once subletted the two bedroom to a couple who in turn subletted to two other couples--I assume for profit--and found out at the end of the summer. Another couple didn't pay their rent until the end of the month--I asked for next months rent up front, and ended up having to evict them. It happens, even to "capable", "professional", and "academically successful" people.

The point is, when you are subletting as a student you take what you can get, because money is tight regardless of scholarships or external funding, which go directly to the university. I averaged an income of $6,500 a year through the summers--student loan took care of rent. If my roommate decided to leave amidst the academic chaos and I was in financial trouble, I would have looked at the first person who answered my ad as a godsend.

It is likely that Loretta was under a 12 month lease in her apartment that she was not able to get out of, and so decided to acquire roommates to help pay the rent for her apartment as she moved in with the "boyfriend". Since she would have been subletting, the amount of $700 would probably be a bargain price, typically lower than the rent itself would be in order to attract a subletter (I once let my $800/m apartment go for $450 b/c there were few people to choose from). Probably they owed LS $350 for two months for one bedroom. From the accounts I have read, LS was still "living" at Cowie Hill but was probably spending the majority of her time at the bf's. While Halifax does requires 3 months notice to be given to landlords prior to the end of the year contract, giving 3 months notice in January, for instance, will not get out out of a contract that ends at the end of August, which, as a student, is the most likely month that her contract would end, having begun or renewed her lease for September. Even if her "boyfriend" was paying for the rent in his apartment in its entirety, it would have been immensely tempting to try and recover some, if not all of those rent costs from her apartment with two tenants.

Finally, I think it is all to coincidental that VH knew someone in the building that she had been through "rough times" with in the past, and believe that this could be how VH and LS were introduced. Possibly this person, who casually said hello to LS heard that she was looking for a subletter and mentioned that she had some friends...it is understandable that she would want to distance herself from having introduced them, especially if there is an alleged questionable past behind there relationship.

IMO...Sorry to be so long winded

Finally, I think it is all to coincidental that VH knew someone in the building that she had been through "rough times" with in the past, and believe that this could be how VH and LS were introduced. Possibly this person, who casually said hello to LS heard that she was looking for a subletter and mentioned that she had some friends...it is understandable that she would want to distance herself from having introduced them, especially if there is an alleged questionable past behind there relationship.

I agree with you on the other woman in the building. Her coming forward then saying whatever it was about " but only saying hello " rang false to me. There was likely more to this.
I also remember reading that VH had an apartment at one point on Gottingen St and wondered if this was prior to meeting LS. Perhaps they met somewhere around the city. We may never know unless VH or BL talk but I do believe there was some sort of prior connection or at the very least an introduction via someone she trusted.

Just curious- do we know 100% for sure that they hadn't paid Loretta ANY money? Did I miss where this was posted as fact? Had they paid for January which secured them being given a key and trusted to live there? But then they were late on February's rent and that is why Loretta went to collect? I think I must have missed something If we know without a doubt that Loretta had never seen money from them... She must have been such a trusting person. (I am the same way, I will lend money to someone in a heartbeat and then cut back and go without something myself and that has caused me to be taken advantage of by so-called "friends" in the past)

IMO Lorettas death has nothing to do with the fact she is Aboriginal.

It's been awhile since I've weighed in, and so............

As a "professional student" who has gone through more than 10 years of university and two Master's programs, I can honestly say that the honor's thesis itself should not be overlooked as a factor in compromising her judgement (if it was ever indeed compromised). Students lives can fall apart when they go up against a thesis--however passionate one may be about a topic, it is an extremely stressful endeavor.

Also, while I believe that there was some previous connection between LS and her roommates, I can confirm that the subletting scene in any university town is hit or miss. I generally subletted my apartment through the summer, since 12 month contracts are standard and I only needed to be there 8 months at a time. Some people were great--others not so great. I once subletted the two bedroom to a couple who in turn subletted to two other couples--I assume for profit--and found out at the end of the summer. Another couple didn't pay their rent until the end of the month--I asked for next months rent up front, and ended up having to evict them. It happens, even to "capable", "professional", and "academically successful" people.

The point is, when you are subletting as a student you take what you can get, because money is tight regardless of scholarships or external funding, which go directly to the university. I averaged an income of $6,500 a year through the summers--student loan took care of rent. If my roommate decided to leave amidst the academic chaos and I was in financial trouble, I would have looked at the first person who answered my ad as a godsend.

It is likely that Loretta was under a 12 month lease in her apartment that she was not able to get out of, and so decided to acquire roommates to help pay the rent for her apartment as she moved in with the "boyfriend". Since she would have been subletting, the amount of $700 would probably be a bargain price, typically lower than the rent itself would be in order to attract a subletter (I once let my $800/m apartment go for $450 b/c there were few people to choose from). Probably they owed LS $350 for two months for one bedroom. From the accounts I have read, LS was still "living" at Cowie Hill but was probably spending the majority of her time at the bf's. While Halifax does requires 3 months notice to be given to landlords prior to the end of the year contract, giving 3 months notice in January, for instance, will not get out out of a contract that ends at the end of August, which, as a student, is the most likely month that her contract would end, having begun or renewed her lease for September. Even if her "boyfriend" was paying for the rent in his apartment in its entirety, it would have been immensely tempting to try and recover some, if not all of those rent costs from her apartment with two tenants.

IMO...Sorry to be so long winded

Regrding the thesis, writing a graduate level thesis can be a big undertaking and can be stressful, particularly towards the end when it has to come together as a coherent statement. Writing an undergraduate honour's thesis is different. IB students in high school write an honour's thesis, and an honour's thesis is an option in undergraduate university programs. The honours thesis is a (roughly) 25-30 page research paper. Loretta submitted her proposal for the 10 page requirement on Feb 4 and she vanished on Fab 13, so the research paper should not have been a stress factor since she still had three months to write the paper.

The rent at the Cowie Apartment is $710-820 for 1-2 bedroom apartments and she was looking to collect $700 on Feb 13.

One tenant at the Cowie Apartment came forward and said that she knew Loretta to say hello, and that she shared a hotel room with Victoria years ago until Victoria left one day and didn't return. The tenant seemed forthcoming, and I see no reason why she wouldn't have mentioned that she introduced Loretta to Victoria if that is indeed what happened. It sounded more like a coincidence that they ended up in the same apartment building.

Just curious- do we know 100% for sure that they hadn't paid Loretta ANY money? Did I miss where this was posted as fact? Had they paid for January which secured them being given a key and trusted to live there? But then they were late on February's rent and that is why Loretta went to collect? I think I must have missed something If we know without a doubt that Loretta had never seen money from them... She must have been such a trusting person. (I am the same way, I will lend money to someone in a heartbeat and then cut back and go without something myself and that has caused me to be taken advantage of by so-called "friends" in the past)

This is the timeline put together by Genbug84. Per Victoria, she was living at Cowie Hill Apartments in Feb, 2014. Since Loretta was trying to collect rent in the first two weeks of Feb, it appears that she did not collect rent when she gave keys to Victoria and Blake.

Posted by genbug84

October 10, 2007 - has a life event on her fb as GOT MARRIED! (since we all know how much she lies, I have no idea of any truth to this)

Oct 14 2009 - Going to visit Ottawa & Petawawa

Oct 16 2009 - She posts west coast bound?

Aug 17 2010 - Living In Nova Scotia

Sep 19 2010 - Working at call centre Blue Ocean in Halifax.

Dec 10 2010 - references a bar "here" in Halifax. So still living there.

August 2011 - Blackberry check in has her on George Street in St. John's Newfoundland (true or not, I dont know)

Dec 27 2011 - Writes see ya NS, ...westbound (Edmonton)

Jan 22 2012 - Was in Pembroke, ON (know from her Blackberry check ins on facebook)

March 22 2012 - Got Engaged to Blake Leggette

April 13 2012 - At Ottawa Airport waiting for "Blakey"

May 2012 - Living in Pembroke, On

June 4 2012 - Flew from Ottawa ON, to Calgary, AB

Aug 2012 - Moved to Victoria BC

October 2012 Living in Chilliwack, BC

February 2013 - Living in Calgary, AB

March 2013 - States back living in Pembroke, ON

Sept 27 2013 - Says this time next week were going to Halifax

October 2013 - Still in Pembroke

Oct 26 2013 - Posts that going to Calgary or "Cowtown" next month.

November 2013 - Living in Calgary, AB

January 2014 - Living in Halifax

February 2014- Living in Halifax, @ Cowie Hill

February 13 2014- Loretta Saunders goes to apartment where VH & BL are residing (renting etc)

Feb 17 2014 - LS reported Missing

Feb 19 2014 - VH and BL arrested in Harrow, ON

This is the timeline put together by Genbug84. Per Victoria, she was living at Cowie Hill Apartments in Feb, 2014. Since Loretta was trying to collect rent in the first two weeks of Feb, it appears that she did not collect rent when she gave keys to Victoria and Blake.

Posted by genbug84

October 10, 2007 - has a life event on her fb as GOT MARRIED! (since we all know how much she lies, I have no idea of any truth to this)

Oct 14 2009 - Going to visit Ottawa & Petawawa

Oct 16 2009 - She posts west coast bound?

Aug 17 2010 - Living In Nova Scotia

Sep 19 2010 - Working at call centre Blue Ocean in Halifax.

Dec 10 2010 - references a bar "here" in Halifax. So still living there.

August 2011 - Blackberry check in has her on George Street in St. John's Newfoundland (true or not, I dont know)

Dec 27 2011 - Writes see ya NS, ...westbound (Edmonton)

Jan 22 2012 - Was in Pembroke, ON (know from her Blackberry check ins on facebook)

March 22 2012 - Got Engaged to Blake Leggette

April 13 2012 - At Ottawa Airport waiting for "Blakey"

May 2012 - Living in Pembroke, On

June 4 2012 - Flew from Ottawa ON, to Calgary, AB

Aug 2012 - Moved to Victoria BC

October 2012 Living in Chilliwack, BC

February 2013 - Living in Calgary, AB

March 2013 - States back living in Pembroke, ON

Sept 27 2013 - Says this time next week were going to Halifax

October 2013 - Still in Pembroke

Oct 26 2013 - Posts that going to Calgary or "Cowtown" next month.

November 2013 - Living in Calgary, AB

January 2014 - Living in Halifax

February 2014- Living in Halifax, @ Cowie Hill

February 13 2014- Loretta Saunders goes to apartment where VH & BL are residing (renting etc)

Feb 17 2014 - LS reported Missing

Feb 19 2014 - VH and BL arrested in Harrow, ON

Thank you :). I have read that before... But it does say they are back in Halifax in January... How do we know they didn't move to Loretta's during January? Maybe they moved in halfway through the month? I have not seen anything saying they moved in exactly on Feb 1st.

Thank you :). I have read that before... But it does say they are back in Halifax in January... How do we know they didn't move to Loretta's during January? Maybe they moved in halfway through the month? I have not seen anything saying they moved in exactly on Feb 1st.

Police have refused to comment on when they moved into the apartment. Everything I've read, since the beginning of the case, mentioned February as the time that they moved into the apartment.

Perhaps they moved in on January 15 and were paying half the rent. $700 could represent two months rent.

I know that this may or may not be off topic but this has to do with the inquiry that people want to see.
--
Peter MacKay throws reports about missing and murdered indigenous women on the ground in parliament. No respect for the dead and missing, no respect for human life, no respect for women, no respect for the responsibilities of government. Its hard to believe these clowns are in charge.http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Politics/ID/2440627859/

--

Wow is all I got to say to this and he should be fired this is not what we canadians expect from our Minister of Justice and Attorney General. How dare he do this.

Also when he was the defense minister he lied directly to our armed forces when he was on a tv show I believe it was on cbc.

I don't know why we are insisting that Loretta had a "connection" to these people.
It could be as simple as Loretta being in a class with one or both of them.
Let's just say for instance:::They move in in the middle of January so Loretta prorates what's left of the month and they pay. Now come's February, she's expecting a full months rent payment and these people keep blowing her off. She goes over and is never seen again. If they are drug users then it explains a lot to me. Drug users will do anything for their drugs including murdering a landlord so that they can keep what money they have for their drugs or had already spent the rent on drugs.

I imagine that, based on my experience, since Loretta was subleting the room out, Loretta paid the full rent bill directly to the landlord. Then, it was probably expected that Blake and Victoria were to pay Loretta back for their portion of the rent. So the landlord probably didn't care what was going on because the full rent was paid for, and you are probably right that VB probably gave Loretta some sob-story saying that they would pay her back for their portion in x amount of time. Loretta might have been compassionate to them or she might not have had the backbone to tell them otherwise until she went there that day. :(
From the interviews with Yalcin, I get the feeling that Loretta had tried to collect the rent money owed to her at least more than once.

It might have been better if she didn't have the backbone to keep trying as she most likely would still be alive.

I believe she was insistent with them and that's what got her murdered.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back