Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were up north looking for work. I think they found themselves in this situation via circumstance, like a simple robbery gone bad. Regardless, if they are going to live life on the run, they won't be able to do it in the bush. And how better to blend in in Toronto than with a new suit.

In many neighborhoods in Toronto, a 19-year-old in a suit would draw attention. :)

That just made me think, if they really wanted to disappear in the woods, there is no better (or closer!) place than the Yukon. They could have zipped up here from Dease Lake in a few hours, taken one of the many side roads and would have had less of a trail and way more time ahead of police.

But yeah, either way, winter will be harsh on them if they're still alive in northern MB!

I agree, as the Yukon borders the coast the climate and topography are night and day different to northern Manitoba. It’s vast, almost a half million square kms. Police can conduct air searches virtually anywhere but if wilderness survival was planned, they must’ve not had any clue about where they were headed.

I think I see six or eight keys. A couple look like filing cabinet keys. What about the others? Is there a RAV key in the mix?
I think this might be harder to see. A 2011 RAV4 key could be a key fob which would have melted in the fire IMO, so we probably wouldn't even see that key. There does look to be a vehicle key on there though.

What is the official defined determination a video game is violent though? Rust - personally I wouldn’t call it particularly violent or realistic, especially compared to GTA5 where theft, headshots, stealing, grand theft larceny, consuming drugs, killing innocent people are all the game consists of.

One can assume that because so many people make up the gaming community, the gaming community includes people from all the spectrum that human diversity offers.

Last edited:
I think this might be harder to see. A 2011 RAV4 key could be a key fob which would have melted in the fire IMO, so we probably wouldn't even see that key. There does look to be a vehicle key on there though.

Not sure how Rav fobs work, but my fob has a key inside the fob that can be removed if the fob doesn't work. It's just the lower half of the key--the part that goes into the lock.

It's the antisocial threads reported about BS that bother me. School? Threats. Gaming? Aggressiveness and harassment reported by other gamers.

Right. I think there are a lot of things that combined show similarities with young mass murderers and monsters like the creep who kidnapped Jayme Closs and killed her parents.

Looks like the jury is still out on whether there is a relationship between violent games and antisocial behavior:

"Research on gaming effects has focused on adolescence, a developmental period in which peer relationships become increasingly salient. However, the impact of peers on the effects of violent gaming on adolescents has been understudied. This study examined whether adolescents’ exposure to violent video games predicted their own and their friend's aggression one year later. Among 705 gaming adolescents, 141 dyads were identified based on reciprocated best friend nominations (73.8% male, Mage = 13.98). Actor‐Partner Interdependence Models indicated that adolescent males’ (but not females’) exposure to violent games positively predicted the aggression of their best friend 1 year later. This effect appeared regardless of whether the friends played video games together or not. The study illustrates the importance of peers in the association between violent gaming and aggression."​

Verheijen, G. P., Burk, W. J., Stoltz, S. E., van den Berg, Y. H., & Cillessen, A. H. (2018). Friendly fire: Longitudinal effects of exposure to violent video games on aggressive behavior in adolescent friendship dyads. Aggressive behavior, 44(3), 257-267.
https://doi.org/10.1002/ab.21748

"The relationship between violent digital games and youth behavior remains contested in the scholarly literature. To date considerable scholarship has focused on university students, with fewer studies of adolescents or children. The current study examines correlational relationships between violent game exposure and bullying behaviors, antisocial attitudes, civic attitudes, and civic behaviors in a sample of 304 children from the United Kingdom (Mean age = 12.81). The paper also considered motivational influences on use of violent digital games. Results indicated that violent game exposure did not correlate meaningfully with either antisocial or civic behaviors or attitudes. These results are discussed in a motivational and developmental context. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2018 APA, all rights reserved)"​

Ferguson, C. J., & Colwell, J. (2018). A meaner, more callous digital world for youth? The relationship between violent digital games, motivation, bullying, and civic behavior among children. Psychology of Popular Media Culture, 7(3), 202-215.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/ppm0000128
I don't think violent games or music has anything to do with it other than visual and aural stimuli. The individual most likely has a predisposition to violence developed early on in the structure of the brain. The coping mechanism seems to be deficit in acting or not acting upon committing murder. I think the video games are a precursor to making the fantasy come true, but not the end reason, as they can desensitize a person (most people would probably be freaked out at the thought of even seeing a dead body), but it seems they are so desensitized - to the point where they look forward to it. I'm not expert... I'm just guessing.

What is the official defined determination a video game is violent though? Rust - personally I wouldn’t call it particularly violent or realistic, especially compared to GTA5 where theft, headshots, stealing, grand theft larceny, consuming drugs, killing innocent people are all the game consists of.

I don't know anything about the games that the suspects used, but they fall into the below listed categories. Violent games are defined below. If any of the violent media depictions are in the game of Rust, then it is a violent game.

"Video game genres: Action, First‐Person Shooters, Fighting, Survival Horror, Adventure, Sport, Simulation, Platformer, Racing, Rhythm, Puzzle, Massive Multiplayer Online games, Role‐Playing Games, Virtual World, and Social Network Games

Violent media depictions were defined as harming of humans, humanoid characters, or other beings by one or more media characters/players, typically presented through battle scenes or fights where characters hit, shoot at, injure, and/or kill others, where there is plenty of blood, and where scenes of injuring and killing others are presented in a realistic way (Busching et al., 2015)."​

Not sure how Rav fobs work, but my fob has a key inside the fob that can be removed if the fob doesn't work. It's just the lower half of the key--the part that goes into the lock.

here is a google search for 2011 RAV4 key, I'm thinking the little plastic loop that goes on the ring would melt, and would prevent it from staying on the key ring (hope that makes sense lol).

We've had a few fobs that the loop has broken over the years, it's stupid lol

Looks like the jury is still out on whether there is a relationship between violent games and antisocial behavior:

"Research on gaming effects has focused on adolescence, a developmental period in which peer relationships become increasingly salient. However, the impact of peers on the effects of violent gaming on adolescents has been understudied. This study examined whether adolescents’ exposure to violent video games predicted their own and their friend's aggression one year later. Among 705 gaming adolescents, 141 dyads were identified based on reciprocated best friend nominations (73.8% male, Mage = 13.98). Actor‐Partner Interdependence Models indicated that adolescent males’ (but not females’) exposure to violent games positively predicted the aggression of their best friend 1 year later. This effect appeared regardless of whether the friends played video games together or not. The study illustrates the importance of peers in the association between violent gaming and aggression."​

Verheijen, G. P., Burk, W. J., Stoltz, S. E., van den Berg, Y. H., & Cillessen, A. H. (2018). Friendly fire: Longitudinal effects of exposure to violent video games on aggressive behavior in adolescent friendship dyads. Aggressive behavior, 44(3), 257-267.

"The relationship between violent digital games and youth behavior remains contested in the scholarly literature. To date considerable scholarship has focused on university students, with fewer studies of adolescents or children. The current study examines correlational relationships between violent game exposure and bullying behaviors, antisocial attitudes, civic attitudes, and civic behaviors in a sample of 304 children from the United Kingdom (Mean age = 12.81). The paper also considered motivational influences on use of violent digital games. Results indicated that violent game exposure did not correlate meaningfully with either antisocial or civic behaviors or attitudes. These results are discussed in a motivational and developmental context. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2018 APA, all rights reserved)"​

Ferguson, C. J., & Colwell, J. (2018). A meaner, more callous digital world for youth? The relationship between violent digital games, motivation, bullying, and civic behavior among children. Psychology of Popular Media Culture, 7(3), 202-215.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/ppm0000128

Yeah, I am not saying there's a relationship between violent games and anti-social behavior. I don't have the evidence. But it's really not the topic I was discussing. And again, I don't think video games make kids into killers. I just don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500