Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes about the release of the video, so true ....the victims didn’t have a chance to tell their story..

RCMP may have good reason to withhold suspected killer’s last wishes from father, experts say | The Star
“He added that, in fact, it may not make sense for RCMP to release the video — ever.

“You don’t want to put out a version of events that come from the two suspects or the two murderers when the victims didn’t get a chance to tell their story,” he said.

Bryan worked with York Regional Police for 30 years and now teaches forensics at Seneca College. He said he has seen his fair share of what he calls “self-serving” homicide explanations in these kinds of “suicide notes.”

“I’ve read these notes, and they are absolutely contradictory to the cause of death. I don’t think that is fair to the victims’ families,” he said.....”

RCMP may have good reason to withhold suspected killer’s last wishes from father, experts say | The Star
VANCOUVER—The father of a suspected killer says knowing his son’s last wishes would help him find closure, but experts say RCMP is under no obligation to release the video containing those details to anyone at this point.

“The RCMP, unfortunately, their role is not to provide closure,” said Kyla Lee, a defence lawyer with Acumen Law who is not involved in the case........

......Lee said it is likely premature for Al Schmegelsky to demand the video from RCMP.

“We don’t know what other information is out there and whether there are potentially any other suspects or other layers to this or whether other people may be charged. We don’t know whether there was some element of assistance offered by any individuals,” Lee said, stressing that she was speaking entirely theoretically with no special knowledge of this police investigation......”

I suspect the "blame game" was included in the last will and testament of one of these killers. One parent might use the "blame game" statements to injure the other parent. Let's hope RCMP never releases this garbage.

I hope that the people in LE and other professionals learn something from this case but BS and KM deserve to be forgotten about otherwise. I understand that we're all curious about the video, but I'm hoping the RCMP never release any part of it. I have a feeling it'll remain tightly sealed.

Oh, THIS article again. I've had arguments on Facebook before about THIS article LOL.

(What I wrote here is kind of sarcastic...but it's not directed at you, it's directed at whoever wrote this article)

First of all, again, there's a difference between "insane" and "mentally ill," as I said.

So mass murderers have 20x the rate of psychosis of the general population...but there isn't a link between mental illness and violence. Sure.

So they're really out here trying to say that 20% of these shooters have psychosis and...the rest of them are perfectly mentally healthy. None of these shooters have depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, personality disorders, or any of the other mental illnesses out there. Right.

Ok, that's psychiatric history. Not every person with a mental illness gets diagnosed. In fact a lot of them don't. And my guess is a lot of these mass shooters were not getting proper treatment, or else, well, they probably wouldn't have gone out and killed people.

Also even going by psychiatric history, that's about 2.5x the rate of mental illness compared to the general population. But sure, there's no link between mental illness and violence.

And then as the cherry on top of the "who cares about facts when you've got an agenda" sundae, they actually cited Dylann Roof as an example of a mass killer with no mental illness, when it is well known that he acted as his own lawyer specifically to prevent his mental health records from being released because he didn't agree with whatever he was diagnosed with.

EDIT: Same with Stephen Paddock: Investigators believe Las Vegas gunman had severe undiagnosed mental illness: Sources and Christopher Harper-Mercer: Oregon shooter: New details emerge about Chris Harper-Mercer - oregonlive.com Two other shooters that this hard-hitting piece of journalism cited as having no mental illnesses.

But if you don't agree with my analysis here's a challenge...look at the accounts of mass shooters in the media and see what percentage of them you can find that had clear symptoms of a mental illness.

I'm sort of amazed this article ever got published, but I guess it is the NYTimes, can't expect much.

While I agree with your overall point, I love the NYTimes. They've won 127 Pulitzers. No media entity can be perfect but to act like they're some two bit publication makes no sense.

I'll add one more thing we should not discount about Facebook and then leave it. That being friends or family may not know your password but that doesn't stop them from picking up your unattended unlocked phone and posting as if they're you for kicks. My friends do it to me all the time when were out because I have a terrible habit of leaving my phone lying round where ever because I'm off swept away in actual conversation (talking about THIS case interestingly enough) rather than glued to my phone.

Last edited:
Just doing some housekeeping, here are various videos and quotes. I am still trying to find a reference that I thought AS and BS were supposed to be taking a trip when BS instead messaged that he was leaving for Alberta.

When they were still considered missing(not suspects):
“ Kam and Bryer have periodically connected with family and friends over the past week and it is possible that they are now in an area without cell coverage,” says Dawn Roberts, BC RCMP Communications.”
https://www.kelownacapnews.com/news...fter-vehicle-found-ablaze-near-dease-lake-bc/

It is believed they've left British Columbia and may have been spotted in northern Saskatchewan, the RCMP said on Tuesday morning. Two employees at a hardware store in Meadow Lake, Sask., about 250 kilometres northwest of Saskatoon, told CBC News the suspects were in their store and made purchases, though it was not clear when.”
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5221657

April Lawrence with CHEK Victoria NEWS
Father holding out hope after two Port Alberni teens vanish in northern B.C.

Extended video with April Lawrence CHEK Victoria NEWS:
Extended video from Monday: Father of Port Alberni suspect in northern B.C. murder case speaks to CHEK News

Interview with BS’s Great Uncle:

Fire-damaged SUV found in northern Manitoba linked to suspects, RCMP confirm
“Alan Schmegelsky said he had a good relationship with his son in the last two years, after not seeing him for many years following a separation from Bryer’s mother. He said he was in contact with his son nearly every day.

Schmegelsky has been trying to contact him since discovering he was missing, but the messages have not been delivered.

Schmegelsky said he travelled to Port Alberni every other weekend to visit his son.

He had already reached Nanaimo on the afternoon of Friday, July 12, when he saw a text from his son that said the two friends were heading to Alberta. He said the message was sent about 8:40 a.m. that day.

Bryer Schmegelsky had been talking about leaving Port Alberni in a few months, but his father said he wasn’t expecting him to go so soon. McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky had only been working at a Port Alberni Walmart for about five weeks when they left.”

Fire-damaged SUV found in northern Manitoba linked to suspects, RCMP confirm
“Alan Schmegelsky said he had a good relationship with his son in the last two years, after not seeing him for many years following a separation from Bryer’s mother. He said he was in contact with his son nearly every day.

Schmegelsky has been trying to contact him since discovering he was missing, but the messages have not been delivered.

Schmegelsky said he travelled to Port Alberni every other weekend to visit his son.

He had already reached Nanaimo on the afternoon of Friday, July 12, when he saw a text from his son that said the two friends were heading to Alberta. He said the message was sent about 8:40 a.m. that day.

Bryer Schmegelsky had been talking about leaving Port Alberni in a few months, but his father said he wasn’t expecting him to go so soon. McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky had only been working at a Port Alberni Walmart for about five weeks when they left.”
SBM I've not seen that last link. Thank you! That's interesting Bryer had been talking about leaving for awhile. I wonder if he had ever expressed interest in going to a specific place before or just vaguely said he wanted to leave.

SBM I've not seen that last link. Thank you! That's interesting Bryer had been talking about leaving for awhile. I wonder if he had ever expressed interest in going to a specific place before or just vaguely said he wanted to leave.

IIRC In one interview with AS he talks about how they wanted to go where the money was and referenced Alberta. The way AS
talked about it it seemed like a conversation he had with both KM and BS... “They said...”

IIRC In one interview with AS he talks about how they wanted to go where the money was and referenced Alberta. The way AS
talked about it it seemed like a conversation he had with both KM and BS... “They said...”
Yes, it makes a lot more sense, some of the assumptions Bryer's dad had about where they were going if it was based on prior conversations.

[...]

Huh. I hadn't noticed that little detail before. AS was already over half way to Port Alberni when he got the text that Bryer was heading out. Wow. There has got to be something missing from the texts, then. Or maybe he called him?

Bryer texted AS at 8:24 AM. In the conversation we've seen, AS didn't reply until 7:37 PM. Does that seem likely, given that AS was already over an hour into his trip for a scheduled visit?

Huh. I hadn't noticed that little detail before. AS was already over half way to Port Alberni when he got the text that Bryer was heading out. Wow. There has got to be something missing from the texts, then. Or maybe he called him?

Bryer texted AS at 8:24 AM. In the conversation we've seen, AS didn't reply until 7:37 PM. Does that seem likely, given that AS was already over an hour into his trip for a scheduled visit?
He may have been working that day, left right after work, and didn't notice the text until around 7:37 p.m.

He said he went to visit Bryer every payday. I wouldn't be surprised if he left after work, depending on what kind of work he does that could easily be at 5 pm, to go to the bank to cash his check (have to stand in line with everyone else on a Friday), and then left on the drive out of routine. With that kind of a timeline, it doesn't strike me as unusual at all.

Yes, it makes a lot more sense, some of the assumptions Bryer's dad had about where they were going if it was based on prior conversations.

I am realizing that Bryer’s Dad was most likely the last to know BS’s departure. The video with the Great Uncle was interesting for that. Seems the day prior to BS leaving PA his great aunt (great uncle says he saw his sister - hence the great aunt reference) was driving BS around and that’s when the great uncle last saw him. My impression is that side of the family were all aware and supportive of the trip.

I am realizing that Bryer’s Dad was most likely the last to know BS’s departure. The video with the Great Uncle was interesting for that. Seems the day prior to BS leaving PA his great aunt (great uncle says he saw his sister - hence the great aunt reference) was driving BS around and that’s when the great uncle last saw him. My impression is that side of the family were all aware and supportive of the trip.
Agreed! I can't figure out if Bryer intentionally didn't let him know until the last minute or if he just sort of spaced out on it and didn't even think to tell him until the last minute. His dad's response is initially pretty chill about it, so I don't know why he would have waited until the last minute in telling him, especially knowing about how long he would be driving to see him, except to be a little brat.

MOO

The lag in time is noteworthy that’s for sure.
Maybe if the messages were through messenger AS tried calling Bryer to figure out why the abrupt cancellation and after no response resorted to messenger.

What I also wonder is if AS may have stuck around the ferry to see if they would be on the next sail. Not sure of schedules and timelines tho if that would fit.

He may have been working that day, left right after work, and didn't notice the text until around 7:37 p.m.

He said he went to visit Bryer every payday. I wouldn't be surprised if he left after work, depending on what kind of work he does that could easily be at 5 pm, to go to the bank to cash his check (have to stand in line with everyone else on a Friday), and then left on the drive out of routine. With that kind of a timeline, it doesn't strike me as unusual at all.

Except that the quote above said he had already reached Nanaimo Friday afternoon (not early evening) so maybe he cut out of work early. He could have cashed his check on a morning break or lunch hour. Friday construction sites are usually pretty quite IMO.

Except that the quote above said he had already reached Nanaimo Friday afternoon (not early evening) so maybe he cut out of work early. He could have cashed his check on a morning break or lunch hour. Friday construction sites are usually pretty quite IMO.
That's true. Truthfully, he might have been a little irritated at Bryer and taken some time in responding to him.

RE: social media accounts disappearing, or profile pictures changed...
K&B or K individually or B individually, could have had an understanding with an unknown person, that if "this" happens, or if you see a particular emoji posted, delete my account, or flood it or whatever. Sounds kinda cloak and daggerish, I know, but I've go a similar pact with a friend about a real life box I have that I don't need my family to see. Nothing illegal, she doesn't know what's in it, she just knows that if I die, she takes that box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname