GUILTY Canada - Makayla Chang, 16, Nanaimo, BC, 19 March 2017

Bumping for Makayla with this article:

A community rally wants to keep hope alive a month after 16-year-old Makayla Chang's disappearance.

The gathering is on May 2 at John Barsby Secondary School from 4 to 6 p.m. Chang's grandmother Dolly will speak and the microphone will be available for others wishing to say a few words as well.

According to RCMP, Chang was last seen on Sunday, March 19. A 53-year-old man named Steven Bacon was possibly with her, though he was never listed as a person of interest in the case. RCMP confirmed they spoke to Bacon and the investigation continues. They said foul play may be involved in her disappearance.
“We don't see any posters of her anywhere. We don't want her name forgotten and if she happens to glance at the news, we want her to be able to see that the community loves her and that we're here and just want her home.”

http://nanaimonewsnow.com/article/5...g-hopes-keep-focus-missing-teen-makayla-chang

This was also in the article:

--When asked for an interview and details on the date marking one month since Chang was last seen, Nanaimo RCMP said investigators felt further media attention would not help their efforts at that time.--

Say what? Media attention won't help the investigation? What's going on?

I have a cousin with mental health issues who used to disappear every so often. She has ADHD and bipolar, but we later found out her disappearances were drug related. She would completely drop off the grid though, no social media, no contact. Once in a while one of her sisters could get her to respond to a text message but that is the most contact she would allow. She would leave and go live with friends in another city hours away from her hometown so that she could do her drugs and whatever she wanted totally uninterrupted. Her family was supportive and very nice but she knew they would drag her home and force her to stop doing the drugs, so she stayed away completely.

Thank you for sharing those anecdotes lavandula. (And welcome to Websleuths!)

She finally herself decided she was done with the drugs and then the disappearing stopped. But she wasn't even using typical drugs you would imagine somebody being addicted to, she was using ketamine.

I have another friend who would do similar things but she would only contact her friends who she knew wouldn't judge her or tell her parents where she was or what she was doing. Sometimes it could get pretty scary, having to show up at her apartment and see if she was there or what on earth she was doing when nobody could get a hold of her for days or weeks at a time.

To be clear, I don't get the sense that Makayla is a drug user or is voluntarily missing, it's just another reason why somebody could go missing and choose to stay away with no contact to their family.

I feel SB is the key to her disappearance.

Life is so complicated. Even when people mean well, it's difficult to know what approach to take with someone with challenging mental health or addiction issues.

I know this is a bit off topic for Makayla, but your post reminded me of a podcast I listened to a few weeks back. It was about our tendency to try to "fix" our loved ones. They quoted a study that found that people who were hospitalized with major mental illness (I think they referenced schizophrenia) and then went and stayed with non-family members actually fared better than those who went back home. They attributed it to that desire for family to "help them" by trying to "fix them", even if it was coming from a place of pure love and caring. I guess patience and acceptance are key in daily life. (Not saying that if someone is at critical risk that someone shouldn't step forward!)

Sorry for the OT.

Bumping
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/missing-nanaimo-teen-chang-1.4091475
attachment.php

Chang is described as part Asian, part Caucasian, five feet one, weighing 110 pounds. An RCMP statement said she has short red hair and lip piercings.

Const. Gary O'Brien said the teen wears glasses, wigs and may dress as a male at times.

He said anyone with information on Chang's disappearance should call RCMP at (250) 754-2345 or Crime Stoppers, if they wish to remain anonymous
rbbm.

Attachments

• makayla-chang.png
    makayla-chang.png
    95.9 KB · Views: 529
Nothing really new but a rally is being planned for this coming Tuesday - it's called a "gathering of love and support for Makayla Chang". On the video below, there is a short clip of Makayla singing at a local event in August...

http://www.cheknews.ca/gathering-planned-in-support-of-missing-nanaimo-teen-makayla-chang-308703/

Thanks for highlighting the video kmclaren.

I tried to post a snip of the image from 1:39 in the CHEK news video providing another view of Makayla from last August, but I'm having technical difficulties. (Perhaps because its a .png file?) It shows what a bashful doll she is.

L1PNE59cYxysZsuy8

So if SB had nothing to do with her disappearance, why did he delete his fb account when she went missing?

Still thinking and hoping Makayla is found soon.....

Could he have helped her make a new start as a boy?

Could he have helped her make a new start as a boy?

Interesting thought, and I would certainly hope that that could be true....but, I don't think SB is so honourable that he would put up with having his house torn apart and being interrogated by the police and not speak up.

Once again Makayla's case is slipping out of msm. I understand, there hasn't been a single sighting of her, she's not posted on social media, SB - the only person who may have information about her disappearance - is claiming to have no knowledge of her whereabouts. All the searches have led to dead ends.

Plus, it's not completely out of the question that she has purposely chosen to go "off the grid" for reasons only she knows; we've seen that before, with the teen reappearing just as everyone thinks she/he has been killed. Makayla's had numerous challenges in her life - both parents have struggles with drugs so she's been raised by a grandmother and on top of that an old man was pursuing her and IMO attempting to groom her. Makayla's dad sits in jail while her mom fails to cry out to her in the media. I can't help but feel that her grandmother may be her biggest supporter.

On the other hand IMO there are enough red flags, including SB's attempt to herd her to him, that my hinky meter just keeps clanging away. According to msm she has close friends yet none of them have heard from her. Just one shout out to one friend could put everyone's mind at ease.

It's about to be two months since she disappeared. That's an awfully long time for a barely 16-year-old to be out in the world with very few resources to help her get by. Even if she left on her own I shudder to think what she may be forced to do in order to survive.

But I really think this is a case of foul play. JMO. I hope I'm wrong. I'd rather be mad at her for scaring her family and wasting LE's time than to read that her body has been found.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/l...elpless-in-search-for-missing-teen-1.15014754

Why is everyone so ready to believe she is ok and on her own? She's a child. With questionable people in her circle? I think there is a lot more going on here and the older guy just shrugging his shoulders and saying i don't know is not getting it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

At least CHEK News is trying to keep this case front and centre.

Nanaimo teen Makayla Chang now missing for two months

The Nanaimo property Makayla was staying with Bacon in, which was searched twice by RCMP, is now overgrown with weeds and bushes.

“It’s an eerie feeling for sure when I drive by,” McKee said.

RCMP insist the investigation behind the scenes is active, though they’re not revealing more than that publicly.

Oh my gosh.
I'm sorry Makayla. May you fly free baby girl. Embracing her family. Her grams with so much love and peace.

What a horrible day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh my gosh.
I'm sorry Makayla. May you fly free baby girl. Embracing her family. Her grams with so much love and peace.

What a horrible day.

I agree. Horrible horrible day.

I'll ditto that y'all.
"This is a horrible, terrible, sad day"

JMO

I wonder what happened. They have called it homicide so quickly. This saddens me even more.

One Id' been following closely and suspected wouldn't have a good ending. Horrible end to this young girls life by the sounds of it.

Rip Makayla

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paladeer
Back