GUILTY Canada - Melissa Richmond, 28, stabbed to death, Winchester, Ont, 24 July 2013

Police intensify search for Richmond murder suspect

Ottawa police have intensified their search for a suspect in the death of Melissa Richmond, stopping cars and asking drivers near the South Keys Shopping Centre if they have seen anything suspicious.

About a dozen officers asked drivers questions and jotted down license plate numbers Wednesday night, close to where Melissa Richmond's body was found on July 28.

A police source has told CBC News that there were signs of trauma on the body.

Richmond was missing for five days before her body was found. On the night of July 24 she told her husband that she was going for a drive at around 11:30 p.m.

Her car was found in the parking lot two days later.

Funeral arrangements announced
Richmond's funeral will be held on Saturday at St. George's Chapel in Petawawa.

A makeshift memorial to Richmond is growing in front of the South Keys Shopping Centre.

Richmond's husband Howard is asking that donations be made to the Winchester Food Bank, where the couple volunteered, in lieu of flowers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...nsify-search-for-richmond-murder-suspect.html

BBM: 1 week to the day. Memories of Russell Williams check-stop here.

Let's hope they catch the murderer in Melissa's case as wel.

Either LE has a car in mind from video OR they really want to just talk to people.

I am hoping it's the first thing.

I am thinking the perp was on foot, though.

JMO

According to reports as late as yesterday, the police still have not questioned the husband because he is not currently a suspect.

I have NEVER heard of a spouse not being questioned.

He was the LAST person to see Melissa, wasn't he?

COME ON.

Something is up.

Do I have this right - her car was found by a denny's employee, in denny's parking lot and her body was found in the ravine behind denny's? So where does kelsey's come in, are the 2 restaurants close to each other?

Not exactly.

Melissa went missing late Wednesday night.

Her car was found in/near a Denny's parking lot on Friday night by a Denny's employee who recognized her plates (she was a regular).

Her body was found in the ravine in front of Kelsey's. Kelsey's is actually closer to the main street (Bank), more than Denny's, so it seems.

The 2 restaurants are across from each other, with alot of parking in between.

I wish we knew the exact location her car was found, because I am speculating that her car was not close to the Denny's like she was going to go in the restaurant.

JMO

Very interesting post on the Find Melissa Richmond Facebook group regarding the Denny's employee who persisted in finding the correct Police service to take his call about the car, because the first set of LE he called insisted that wasn't the vehicle they were looking for.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/450810338350757/

Since her husband suffers from a severe stress disorder, isn't it possible that he had to be heavily medicated and under the care of medical people when his wife disappeared? That would certainly explain why there was a delay in him talking with police ... especially if all he knew was that she went for a drive.

If she was a regular at the Denny's, then I would think that someone noticed. That makes it that much more possible, in my mind, that she was grabbed as she was leaving and attacked right there in the ravine. That would suggest that there's a very sick man in the area and that everyone should be more cautious at this time.

I guess the vigil being held at 11:30 pm the night after her service, has meaning for her husband, perhaps it is to mark the time of her disappearance?

I wonder if TOD and COD has been determined?

Melissa's friend Daniel wrote her this eulogy, publicly posted with permission by STR on the FB group.

The Empty Chair - Eulogy for a Gamer

There is an empty chair at the table this day.
A hallowed place where a friend once played.
The roll of her dice our ears long to hear.
Or perhaps it would suffice if she should suddenly appear,
With character sheet in hand and a bag of Cheeze-doodles to share.
All her friends would stand as she sat in the empty chair;
We hear her voice a-callin’ and it ties our hearts in knots,
For she cries, “Though a comrade has fallen, you must play for those who cannot.”
We conquered worlds on the run, all in the name of fun,
And as others may come and go, and we make both friend and foe,
What we long for most, is our past now long a ghost.

(from Knights of the Dinner Table, Kenzer & Co.)

Friends recall caring, fun-loving Melissa Richmond

On eve of funeral, slaying victim remembered for generosity and ‘contagious smile’

8739422.jpg

8739423.jpg

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Friends+recall+caring+loving+Melissa+Richmond/8737622/story.html

Born Melissa Wilson, Richmond grew up Fredericton, N.B., according to family friend Dawn Lustig. She was the daughter of Raymond and Millie Evans, both military personnel at CFB Gagetown.

The family moved from New Brunswick in 1995, said Lustig, when the Evanses were transferred to CFB Petawawa. Both have since retired from the military. No siblings are mentioned in Richmond’s obituary.

Though he had broken his silence, finally speaking to media for the first time since his wife’s disappearance, he was unable to speak to a Citizen reporter Thursday evening. In an interview with CBC, Howard, 50, was 22 years older than his wife and described themselves as an unlikely pair.

But Shelley Rabinovitch, who has known Howard for 20 years and Melissa for 10, said the couple “were like matched souls.

“They were like two halves of one human being,” said Rabinovitch, who met Melissa when Howard brought her into their historical group, the Society for Creative Anachronism, where members don costumes and try to recreate the Middle Ages in modern times.

Howard remains at the couple’s home in Winchester, called Castle Greyskull by friends in the society.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Friends+recall+caring+loving+Melissa+Richmond/8737622/story.html

Not exactly.

The 2 restaurants are across from each other, with alot of parking in between.

I wish we knew the exact location her car was found, because I am speculating that her car was not close to the Denny's like she was going to go in the restaurant.

JMO

I'd say they're both more or less the same distance from Bank Street (separated from it by the ravine) around 200 feet apart from each other.

Since there are only three rows of parking separating the two, I'd speculate that she was within one or two rows of Denny's (otherwise why say it was in Denny's parking lot rather than just South Keys mall or Kelsey's parking lot, JMO.)

I'd say they're both more or less the same distance from Bank Street (separated from it by the ravine) around 200 feet apart from each other.

Since there are only three rows of parking separating the two, I'd speculate that she was within one or two rows of Denny's (otherwise why say it was in Denny's parking lot rather than just South Keys mall or Kelsey's parking lot, JMO.)

Could the car have been anywhere in the general area around Dennys and is it possible that Denny's was mentioned, rather than any other shop, because t was the only shop that was open at that time of night?

Does anyone know where along Bank Street she was found?

Could the car have been anywhere in the general area around Dennys and is it possible that Denny's was mentioned, rather than any other shop, because t was the only shop that was open at that time of night?

Does anyone know where along Bank Street she was found?

It's possible they only mentioned Denny's because a Denny's employee called in the tip 2 days later. Hours didn't necessarily have anything to do with it (aside from perhaps noticing a car parked in an unusual spot for 2 days).

From sources linked earlier in the thread she was found in front of the Kelsey's, the building just NW of Denny's, close to the entrance to the parking lot.

humandoing said:
Until I hear why she decided to go, where she said she was going, how long she planned to go, and most importantly what she was doing before she left and why she didn't take her cell phone with her, I just have a hard time believing that she even went for a solo drive in the first place.

My gut may be right...

My gut may be right...

Ugh. I was just elabella's post last night and decided that someone local would think it's a good idea to go into populated area to deflect blame. Esp. where the body was dumped. You'd expect someone to have the audacity to try to do that in the city to at least have spent some time on Kelsey's patio noticing that the ditch isn't really visible from the street/parking lot.

It does make a lot of sense, sadly. So will he plead guilty/insanity or maintain that he didn't do it at all is the next question.

Ugh. I was just elabella's post last night and decided that someone local would think it's a good idea to go into populated area to deflect blame. Esp. where the body was dumped. You'd expect someone to have the audacity to try to do that in the city to at least have spent some time on Kelsey's patio noticing that the ditch isn't really visible from the street/parking lot.

It does make a lot of sense, sadly. So will he plead guilty/insanity or maintain that he didn't do it at all is the next question.

Thats a really good point, that I had not considered at all. Thank you.

So sad for her friends and family, a double loss to be sure. Am grateful that my community is safer.

Melissa Richmond's husband arrested in homicide

AUGUST 2, 2013
Melissa Richmond's husband, Howard Richmond, 50, has been arrested in her death.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/touch/story.html?id=8742097

Really not much of a surprise to me. I'm surprised it took this long for him to be arrested. The whole out for a drive at 11:30 PM after arriving home didn't fly with me. The multiple stab wounds made this crime just to personal to be someone that didn't know Melissa.

I'm sure the check stops that took place (in the evening) between where her car/body was located and her home were to ask drivers if they had seen anyone walking along the road or if anyone had given Howard a ride on the night Melissa went missing.

I think the cell phone was left at home on purpose to prevent any tracking of movement. That is if Melissa and Howard even returned home after being out with friends. Perhaps her phone was at home the whole evening or her phone was placed at the home as a red herring. What women goes anywhere without her cell phone? My daughters can't go from the couch to the refrigerator and back without taking their phone with them.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back