Canada - Shooting spree in Moncton, NB, leaves 3 RCMP officers dead, 2 injured, June 2014 *Guilty*

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/surveillance-aircraft-played-key-role-in-bourque-search/article19059589/

The 30-hour search for Justin Bourque came to a sudden end Thursday night soon after the arrival of an aircraft rigged with sophisticated surveillance equipment normally deployed to patrol the Canadian coast.

As police on the ground struggled to track the man alleged to have gunned down three Mounties, behind the scenes officials at Transport Canada told the RCMP they had a powerful asset in reserve. It turned out to be key to capturing the accused killer.

At first glance, this article seems contradictory to the one I posted above which says that a tip from a citizen was instrumental in locating JB. However, this one does go on to say -
The plane had spotted something: a heat signature coming from a wooded area. It’s not clear whether the aircraft was directed to that spot beforehand based on intelligence developed on the ground. The RCMP would not comment on the specifics of the investigation, but did say that a citizen had provided information Thursday that contributed to the suspect’s capture.

Seems it was a combination of help from the good citizens of Moncton, advanced technology and well-trained professionals! :)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/surveillance-aircraft-played-key-role-in-bourque-search/article19059589/

At first glance, this article seems contradictory to the one I posted above which says that a tip from a citizen was instrumental in locating JB. However, this one does go on to say -

Seems it was a combination of help from the good citizens of Moncton, advanced technology and well-trained professionals! :)

All of the above, plus a touch of this...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...sending-light-to-moncton-in-support-1.2667700
"As police continued their search for the suspect in Wednesday`s shooting, RCMP in Moncton asked people in the city to leave their porch lights on at night to aid them.

People in Moncton responded and so did people across Canada and beyond, leaving their lights on and tweeting photos of them to show their support.

Dartmouth resident Krista Lane turned on her porch light.

"Moncton still needs some light sent their way"
- Dartmouth resident Krista Lane

"I guess it's symbolic. They were asking everybody in Moncton to turn their lights on to help with the search, and to shed some lights for them so they could do their jobs."
Porch lights for Moncton

Lisa Shannon tweeted this photo of her front porch lit up in support of Moncton Wednesday evening.

The symbolic idea spread quickly through social media and Lane said she won't turn her porch light off just yet.

"There's still a lot of grieving that has to happen, and there's a whole court process and that kind of thing. So I thought, I'm going to leave it on, because Moncton still needs some light sent their way."

Mine is still on. Night and day. For now.

A friend, Trever Finck, said he noticed changes in Bourque's behavior over the last year, particularly after he created a new Facebook page for himself in February and filled it with anti-police messages and conspiracy theories. His profile picture shows him standing in the woods with a friend, wearing camouflage gear and clutching a shotgun. What appear to be dozens of spent shell casings lie at their feet.

"I just want to know what was going through his head," Finck said.

Church administrator Dianne LeBlanc said it had been many years since she had seen Bourque, who moved out of the family home about 18 months ago. But his parents never missed a Sunday service at Christ the King Catholic church, she said. They often arrived with at least a couple of their grown children in tow, she added.

LeBlanc said parents Victor and Denise home-schooled their children, who were raised speaking French.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/0...-deaths-obsessed-with-guns/?intcmp=latestnews

A problem with authority'

Based on recent posts to what appears to be his Facebook page, the 24-year-old Bourque portrays himself as a gun enthusiast with an anti-authoritarian mindset, a description confirmed through interviews with friends and acquaintances.

"He's always seemed to have a problem with authority," Caitlin Isaac, who worked with Bourque at Wal-Mart several years ago, told Business Insider, adding that he had issues "with parents, bosses, police."

She said that Bourque was eventually fired from that job.

"I never took him seriously, but he always said he wanted to go out with a bang and bring people with him," she said.

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/newbru...lations-about-man-charged-in-moncton-shooting

^ Which supports my usual opine. They don't snap. It's a slow seething progression. I have only seen a few cases when somebody who had been diagnosed Mentally Ill prior was delusional but the crime act itself was bizarre in nature. This crime was cold, calculated and intentional IMO.

^ Which supports my usual opine. They don't snap. It's a slow seething progression. I have only seen a few cases when somebody who had been diagnosed Mentally Ill prior was delusional but the crime act itself was bizarre in nature. This crime was cold, calculated and intentional IMO.

bbm tic tic tic tic... boom

you know it seems that the signs were there... when is it OK to act on the signs without, (shall I say) not infringing on an individuals rights. It seems to be a slippery slope. jmo

you know it seems that the signs were there... when is it OK to act on the signs without, (shall I say) not infringing on an individuals rights. It seems to be a slippery slope. jmo

It truly is and it seems some isolate themselves as they spiral down. Yet in the aftermath when folks speak out there are some signs.

anyone know how/who got the picture that became the signature of the event? It seems they were close engout to apprechend him then, no?

When I read her first piece, I bookmarked her. Her writing is terrific! IMO

As the residents of Pioneer Avenue first saw Justin Christien Bourque in the soft light of that early-summer evening — marching upright in a straight line on that crazy rutted road that has most mortals and machines bouncing about or around the potholes, his eyes meeting theirs but not quite seeing, armed up the yin-yang and sporting a silly bandana — so he was late Friday at the Moncton Law Courts..

..Way back then, which is to say three days ago, Mr. Bourque was setting out on his self-appointed mission: He was going to bag himself some cops...

.http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com...-kill-police-and-his-neighbours-set-the-trap/.

But now, he was wearing prison-issue garb that looked like hospital scrubs, scanning the packed courtroom with his remarkably sanguine gaze

First of all, I believe that you are angry, and you are hurting. Anyone who does something like this must be deeply damaged, and that makes me sad for you and your family. I realize there is no way you will ever have the chance to read this, but I don’t know what else to do. You see, I am angry, and I am hurting, too. I am on lockdown in my house and glued to the tv — and I am watching the streets of my neighbourhood being broadcasted live.

......are the same streets that I travel every day. I take them to go to work; I take them to run last minute errands at the drugstore. This is more than hitting close to home – this IS my home. I feel safe when I walk these streets with my baby boy strapped in his stroller, and safe on them when I run on them alone. Or at least I felt safe, until last night. I actually stepped out my front door for a run in the sunshine last night at about 7:30, minutes after it is reported that the first calls regarding your presence in the woods at Hildegarde were made. For some reason, I took a different path, and thereby avoided a meeting with you, because the route I often take would have put me on a direct collision course with you and the destruction you were about to cause. I had a great run. I felt good. And then, just as I was nearing the end of my run and closing in on my street, I saw a police SUV speeding by me, lights flashing, sirens screaming.

I saw a car, pulled over. The driver was standing by his open door, his hands holding his head as if he didn’t know what to do and needed to figure things out. I saw people running from a few directions.
I still didn’t realize what was happening until a man, driving by, pulled over, motioned me over to his car, and told me, “You probably shouldn’t go this way. There is a man, with a rifle strapped to his back, on the loose. He is shooting at police.” All I could say was “Thank you,” and I turned around. I wasn’t three minutes in the opposite direction when another car, this time with a woman, a worried young boy, and a dog in the backseat stopped me again and said “You probably shouldn’t go this way….

There is a man, shooting at police, and he is at large. You need to go home.” I was frozen. “I’m trying to go home… but now I don’t know how to get there.” She must have thought I was nuts. I ended up calling a friend who lives in an apartment nearby. I was so panicked that the first time I called, my headphones were still in my phone from listening to music while on my run and she thought I had dialed her by mistake. The second time I called, I said “I’m coming up to your building. Please let me in. There’s a man with a gun and I can’t get home.” I was running as I was talking. I’m sure I sounded hysterical. I stayed there for two hours, until reports indicated that you had moved to a different area of the city, and I got a drive home

When I got home, I kissed my husband, I kissed my baby boy, I took a bath, and I started watching the news. I couldn’t sleep – all I could hear was the searching helicopter out my back window. I was in shock. I was scared. I was sad.......

The rest of it is neat!

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...er-to-alleged-moncton-shooter-justin-bourque/

First of all, I believe that you are angry, and you are hurting. Anyone who does something like this must be deeply damaged, and that makes me sad for you and your family. I realize there is no way you will ever have the chance to read this, but I don’t know what else to do. You see, I am angry, and I am hurting, too. I am on lockdown in my house and glued to the tv — and I am watching the streets of my neighbourhood being broadcasted live.

......are the same streets that I travel every day. I take them to go to work; I take them to run last minute errands at the drugstore. This is more than hitting close to home – this IS my home. I feel safe when I walk these streets with my baby boy strapped in his stroller, and safe on them when I run on them alone. Or at least I felt safe, until last night. I actually stepped out my front door for a run in the sunshine last night at about 7:30, minutes after it is reported that the first calls regarding your presence in the woods at Hildegarde were made. For some reason, I took a different path, and thereby avoided a meeting with you, because the route I often take would have put me on a direct collision course with you and the destruction you were about to cause. I had a great run. I felt good. And then, just as I was nearing the end of my run and closing in on my street, I saw a police SUV speeding by me, lights flashing, sirens screaming.

I saw a car, pulled over. The driver was standing by his open door, his hands holding his head as if he didn’t know what to do and needed to figure things out. I saw people running from a few directions.
I still didn’t realize what was happening until a man, driving by, pulled over, motioned me over to his car, and told me, “You probably shouldn’t go this way. There is a man, with a rifle strapped to his back, on the loose. He is shooting at police.” All I could say was “Thank you,” and I turned around. I wasn’t three minutes in the opposite direction when another car, this time with a woman, a worried young boy, and a dog in the backseat stopped me again and said “You probably shouldn’t go this way….

There is a man, shooting at police, and he is at large. You need to go home.” I was frozen. “I’m trying to go home… but now I don’t know how to get there.” She must have thought I was nuts. I ended up calling a friend who lives in an apartment nearby. I was so panicked that the first time I called, my headphones were still in my phone from listening to music while on my run and she thought I had dialed her by mistake. The second time I called, I said “I’m coming up to your building. Please let me in. There’s a man with a gun and I can’t get home.” I was running as I was talking. I’m sure I sounded hysterical. I stayed there for two hours, until reports indicated that you had moved to a different area of the city, and I got a drive home

When I got home, I kissed my husband, I kissed my baby boy, I took a bath, and I started watching the news. I couldn’t sleep – all I could hear was the searching helicopter out my back window. I was in shock. I was scared. I was sad.......

The rest of it is neat!

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/06...ustin-bourque/

Great article! how unsettling it must have been for people in that neighbourhood. Your day starts out as perfectly normal, and then suddenly everything changes!

It sounds like people who know the family are completely shocked:

Those who know the family say Bourque’s parents — Victor and Denise — are upstanding, big-hearted citizens and regular attendees of Christ the King Catholic Church, not far from the family home located on a tree-lined street and where the children were home-schooled.

.......Victor, who has worked 30-plus years as a dental technician, can be seen walking to work every day. A colleague described him Friday as “one of the most honest” people he knows. Denise is a stay-at-home mom.

Even with a house filled with people around Christmas, the couple still opened their home to a couple of friends who were alone for the holidays, providing them with dinner and presents, said a family friend, who asked not to be identified.

http://o.canada.com/news/national/accused-moncton-killer-justin-bourque-came-from-beautiful-family

I notice that JB is not on his parent's FB Friends list.....I wonder if they were in contact with him before this whole thing went down?

There's a photo of him with his family on his parent's FB page dated mid Feb. I see he then started his own gun-happy FB page a few days later.....and his siblings and parents aren't on his Friends list either.

If that was my son's FB page and I saw it, I'd be seriously concerned for him and would be seeking help. That's why I'm wondering if he was estranged from them and they didn't know about his state of mind.......all pure speculation here, of course.

Am just trying to understand how nobody close to him realised just how serious this was getting.

I notice that JB is not on his parent's FB Friends list.....I wonder if they were in contact with him before this whole thing went down?

There's a photo of him with his family on his parent's FB page dated mid Feb. I see he then started his own gun-happy FB page a few days later.....and his siblings and parents aren't on his Friends list either.

If that was my son's FB page and I saw it, I'd be seriously concerned for him and would be seeking help. That's why I'm wondering if he was estranged from them and they didn't know about his state of mind.......all pure speculation here, of course.

Am just trying to understand how nobody close to him realised just how serious this was getting.

At his age, and living away from home, I think it might be quite possible that he was acting strange much of the time, but when he was with his family, he was 'normal'. I think most young adults engage in pursuits, have friends, etc that their parents know nothing about - it's all just part of growing independent, IMO. So, I could believe it if his family did not 'see' things going off the rails - or maybe had an inkling he was more troubled than usual, but nothing that would alarm them.

I have great sympathy for his parents and siblings. They had no hand in this - but they will pay a price.

excerpt from:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/nb/news-nouvelles/releases-communiques/14-06-07-163717-eng.htm

Regimental Funeral for Fallen RCMP Members, Moncton, N.B.

An RCMP regimental funeral will be held in Moncton on Tuesday, June 10, 2014 for Cst. Dave Ross, Cst. Fabrice Georges Gevaudan, and Cst. Douglas James Larche, who were killed in the line of duty while serving in Moncton, NB.

The funeral will take place at 1:00 p.m. at the Moncton Coliseum, 377 Killam Drive, in Moncton, NB. A parade of RCMP employees and law enforcement from across Canada will take place before the funeral. While members of the public will be able to attend the regimental funeral, seating in the coliseum is limited.

I believe in the past the Mods have closed the thread during memorial services, but if this thread remains open, out of respect for the officers, could we please refrain from all discussion during the service and until the service is over.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back