CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
"All evidence suggests Varaschin led a healthy lifestyle and was a member of a close-knit loving family, police said. Before her sudden disappearance, she lived quietly and alone. She loved the outdoors, listing mountain climbing, hiking and skiing on her Facebook page as some of her favourite activities. Last spring, on a Facebook group wall for the Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, she reminisced about the time she had spent in Jasper. “Many fond memories of Jasper and the lodge while I lived there . . . best blueberry tea ever!” she wrote. "
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...-rumours-about-missing-orangeville-woman?bn=1
Peter Edwards and Amy Dempsey, The Toronto Star

So a friend was coming from Jasper. If she stayed at the Fairmont Lodge in Jasper it is unlikely people she met there were from Jasper except 1. Staff hotel or ski related staff? 2. someone she met from Jasper while she was out and about? 3. she went to Jasper but already knew someone there 4. she knows someone there but also happened to go on this trip and stay at the Fairmount.

<rsbm>

Sonia's body was found on the north side of Beechgrove Sideroad near Mountainview Rd, and YES, she could have used that road enroute from Bolton to Orangeville. Due to her phone call to her Mom, and the blood found at her residence though, it certainly seems she made it home from Bolton that day.

Not sure exactly where SL lives in relation to downtown Mono Mills, but can't help notice how close Sonia's body was found to Mono Mills (5.9kms from Beechgrove Sideorad & Mountainview Rd to the centre of the town).

Yes Mono Mills . But also Bolton where her parents lived and her sister lived. Did Sonia ever take that road between Orangeville and Bolton with someone else? Overall I am making the point that the perpetrator could be from say Bolton (or Mono Mills) not Orangeville. They could have travelled the road with Sonia or in conversation know that she took that route. Maybe that person also used that route or (not that likely) followed her. In a quote from a link a few posts ago a resident says they think the perp knew that 'exact spot" and they then say just a bit further there is swamp and relative wilderness. But that could more likely suggest they DON'T know that exact spot well.

I understand yes of course Sonia was killed in her home. One of the mother's theories is that she opened the door to let the cat in.

Been thinking this over more impressed that in all the directions/routes Sonia could be left by the killer it was in the direction/route to Bolton. I realize there only so many directions so many roads of course it could have some other cause.

But still on a possible road to her Mom's her sister's.....what does anyone else think? This would be opening a whole new hornet's nest as to who could have noticed her there, neighbours etc.

Do we know if she spent much time there?

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/World/2012/11/29/20394796.html
"A defunct website that hosts "revenge *advertiser censored*" is coming back from the dead, and this time it will tell users exactly where to find its accidental *advertiser censored* stars.

Hunter Moore, 26, rose to fame with his site IsAnyoneUp.com, where people could submit naked pictures or sex tapes of their exes for users to publicly scrutinize.

It shut down in April when an anti-bullying group bought the domain.

Now Moore's reviving it at a new address. This time, people will be able to submit their victims' addresses, which Moore plans to map.

"We're gonna introduce the mapping stuff so you can stalk people," Moore told Betabeat."I know, it's scary as sh--."

Realize these aren't the most likely scenarios but just in case getting DNA from everyone in Orangeville doesn't work.

As per my previous post Sonia was found on a plausible route between her new home and the home of her sister, mother and possibly others friends. This may be significant.

Is it possible that she could have picked up someone in Bolton or en route someone she knew to back to her place to talk, whatever. Whether it was a route the perp had taken before or whether it was the first time it might come into their mind as a place to leave the body.

The call to her mother about the cake bothers me.

And the friend the cake was for, visiting from Jasper. To repeat what I have said if she had met people while skiing at Jasper they would probably be out of towners so wouldn't be coming from Jasper to see her. Unless she met a ski instructor, hotel worker. She might o/w have a friend in Jasper of course nothing to do with the ski visit there we don't know.

Could a perp. have switched from construction boots to Doc Marten's?
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-women-are-similar-could-be-linked-police-say

"BARRIE&#8212;A special team has been set up with three Barrie police investigators after three attempted abductions this month.

Detective Rob McLeod said all three cases are similar; a composite drawing of one suspect was released.

&#8220;Due to the nature of the incidents, and the similarities in suspect description, the Criminal Investigations Division has designated a team of investigators to further investigate with the hopes of identifying any suspect(s) involved,&#8221; said McLeod in a press release"

Snip

"The man is described as five-foot-nine-inches tall, with a medium build. He had shoulder-length hair with stubble on his face. He had a dark-coloured toque and cargo pants with a hoodie sweater on, and Doc Marten-style boots. Police released a picture of that suspect.

"The last report was Tuesday, Nov. 27 on Hickling Trail and Corbett Dr. A 20-year-old woman was approached by a stranger who allegedly put one hand over her mouth and another onto her waist. He tried to pull her towards a car parked on the street. She struggled and both fell to the ground. He then ran away to an older model, boxy four-door sedan, which was a light colour".

There's a man in O-ville, Rob Bredin, who is offering a $3000 reward for information leading to arrest in Sonia's case, and inviting others to conrtibute to augment the reward to $50k. Myself, I don't think it has been a lack of financial incentive that we don't have justice yet for Sonia, but i commend a private citizen's efforts to stir up information:

http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2012-12-06/Columns/Ontario_Matters.html:

"I choose at this juncture to make the enhanced offer at my birthday, an offer I commenced two years ago &#8211; and this all I have to offer &#8211; of a $3,000 reward toward solving the stillunsolved murder of Sonia Varaschin.

This murder occurred in Orangeville, but one feels it could have occurred anywhere due to the &#8220;friendships&#8221; we may choose to contract electronically.

I know of no specifics in this case; but, what I do know is that no reward has been offered for information that will lead to an arrest and conviction. This cannot either be acceptable to or be accepted any longer by any man in this town.

Yes, any number of us spend too much time playing with our remote controls and joysticks, or pining for the NHL (there is no substitute), or planning our next expedition to Canadian Tire to puzzle over artificial Christmas trees.

But there are good, big-hearted men of conviction here in Orangeville &#8211; &#8220;Little Bobs&#8221;, Jims, Jeffs, Joes, &#8220;Big Freds&#8221;, and so on &#8211; solid, conservative, decent yeomen, and citizens. I am calling on them now &#8211; we oughtn&#8217;t wait any longer for the ineptly and vindictively chiefed Orangeville Police Service (and I know the investigation is being led by the OPP) &#8211; to join me in making up a reward of $50,000 for information leading to an arrest and conviction in this murder, the ultimate in violence against a woman.

This sort of reward-making, if that&#8217;s what it&#8217;s called, is how it was when I was a boy in the &#8217;70s, although this kind of leadership and demonstration of resolve in the face of crime used to come naturally from our public officials; but now it has to, apparently, come from us private citizens.

This is how it has needs to be now, for all our sisters (larger sense) in town: for me, for our inaction, for our sitting on our hands and our mute passivity, it makes me feel like I am living in another, but far lesser, country, not Canada, not Ontario certainly.

My money will be available through the best, my solicitor, counsellor, and friend in town (and I can hear him clearing his throat in Florida), and his associates at, Robert G. Church, Q.C.

You, dear prospective donor, may contact me through the good offices of The Citizen in Orangeville, once more behind its refined brickwork.

Let&#8217;s get this done, let&#8217;s get it done now once-and-for-all, let&#8217;s get the perpetrator &#8211; not an &#8220;offender&#8221;, not someone who should be understood, but a plain criminal, a bullying , and a brutal murderer &#8211; off the streets that our sisters (daughters, mothers, girlfriends, aunties, companions, wives...) may no longer have his shadow here hanging heavily over them, or over our peaceful, pleasant streets in Orangeville, as this remains &#8211; and must remain &#8211; truly one of the safest, most trusting, and most law-abiding communities to be found anywhere in Ontario."

"In a recent interview, a resident who lives near Beech Grove Sideroad, said she’s convinced whoever dumped Sonia’s body was “familiar” with that exact spot.

I think we are forgetting the killer must have been freaking out by this point. I am not sure we can expect things to make "sense" for all we know the killer is psychotic or in a fugue like state or just terrified and not thinking straight by this point. We don't know what they were thinking.

I agree! In addition about the cake. She was very close to her family, as she would often go there for Sunday dinners, so why not ask her Mom to bake a cake for a friend who would be arriving in Orangeville.
Evidentally, home baked goodies mattered to this family. It would be special, rather than a cake picked up at Safeway.

I would have also ask my Mom for the same thing. Nothing unusual there.
In fact, it shows Sonia's kindness and the appreciation of her family who to her were the best in the world. No harm in showing off her Mom's fabulous baking skills.
IMO>

I agree! In addition about the cake. She was very close to her family, as she would often go there for Sunday dinners, so why not ask her Mom to bake a cake for a friend who would be arriving in Orangeville.
Evidentally, home baked goodies mattered to this family. It would be special, rather than a cake picked up at Safeway.

I would have also ask my Mom for the same thing. Nothing unusual there.
In fact, it shows Sonia's kindness and the appreciation of her family who to her were the best in the world. No harm in showing off her Mom's fabulous baking skills.
IMO>

Yes of course I have nothing against her Mom wanting to bake a cake for her!

But if I understand correctly she comes from visiting her Mom, then calls when she gets home to tell her to bake a cake. Not much warning and wouldn't she have mentioned this and talked about the imminent arrival of her friend from Jasper during the visit? Did the friend from Jasper (and see my posts about the likelihood of the friend being FROM Jasper) just notify her after she got back from her Mom's?

It could all be innocuous as you suggest - they must know who the friend is - and I imagine the friend would have arrived in Orangeville since they would not know about the crime yet surely (?) So this is probably already taken care of, known. But then I don't know that hence the post.

(Also it would take another visit to retrieve the cake surely).

Dreamwatcher do you know anything about this friend, whether they came to Orangeville etc.? Maybe it was mentioned somewhere I have not seen it if so.

One other thing that bothers me. LE said that they found a bloody bootprint, they would not say at which scene this bootprint was found. Her home was very bloody by all accounts. So why would there not be a series of bloody bootprints?
When a person is invited into a home, especially if wearing boots, would they not take them off?
Just a thought.

DW

Just bumping this excellent question.

Sonia's friends, were largely female. She met and travelled with females in Jasper and Banff, so I am assuming that the person to come to Orangeville from the Alberta skiing and hiking community was a female. In a news article, on her facebook she spoke about the wonderful "blueberry tea" that she had in Jasper, or was it Banff- I think it was Jasper.

If we look at all of the pictures of Sonia, she is always surrounded by female friends. --- so I assume the person coming to visit with Sonia - giving the percentages, that the visitor (of whom the cake would have been baked for) would be female. Another thing, at Sonia's funeral, her on again off again was introduced as Sonia's boyfriend. So I am assuming that the relationship was "on again".
Just my very humble opinion.:twocents:

Perplexing ay?

Originally Posted by dreamwatcher
One other thing that bothers me. LE said that they found a bloody bootprint, they would not say at which scene this bootprint was found. Her home was very bloody by all accounts. So why would there not be a series of bloody bootprints?
When a person is invited into a home, especially if wearing boots, would they not take them off?Just a thought.

I hear what you are saying, perhaps this person did take his boots off, as he was perhaps a friend visiting, committed the murder, then went and put boots on, found the car keys, opened the car/trunk doors, went back to the room the crime was committed and carried VS out to the car leaving bloody bootprints. MOO

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2013/01/18/20507586.html

"Woman testifies she feared for her life during surgery sexual assault

TORONTO &#8212; The first patient to complain to North York General Hospital that she'd been sexually assaulted by Dr. George Doodnaught back in 2006 was assured that a note had been placed in his file and he'd be "closely scrutinized"

Originally Posted by dreamwatcher
When a person is invited into a home, especially if wearing boots, would they not take them off?Just a thought.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hear what you are saying, perhaps this person did take his boots off, as he was perhaps a friend visiting, committed the murder, then went and put boots on, found the car keys, opened the car/trunk doors, went back to the room the crime was committed and carried VS out to the car leaving bloody bootprints. MOO

This is a strong possibility. IMO
DW

Sonia's friends, were largely female. She met and travelled with females in Jasper and Banff, so I am assuming that the person to come to Orangeville from the Alberta skiing and hiking community was a female. In a news article, on her facebook she spoke about the wonderful "blueberry tea" that she had in Jasper, or was it Banff- I think it was Jasper.

If we look at all of the pictures of Sonia, she is always surrounded by female friends. --- so I assume the person coming to visit with Sonia - giving the percentages, that the visitor (of whom the cake would have been baked for) would be female. Another thing, at Sonia's funeral, her on again off again was introduced as Sonia's boyfriend. So I am assuming that the relationship was "on again".
Just my very humble opinion.:twocents:

Perplexing ay?

Not at all denying that what you say is plausible, even likely. But until we know (I mean for sure) we don't know.

Boyfriend: not sure I would read that into it. "Always surrounded by female friends..." - but I think LE is interested in men so we are looking for that odd man out. I would guess that her family/friends would be a bit hurt by the the focus on the dating site - there was hints of misogynism in media coverage of that, annoying at least. Hence attempts to normalize.

Sonia was not known as a run around. Frankly, I was shocked that she went on dating sites.

The detectives said that she gave out too much in the way of personal information on herself. A novice? Was her intention only to correspond? Being picky and choosy? Of which I highly suspect.

Her so called boyfriend (on again off again) tells me, as a woman, that she was searching for someone more into her own personal pursuits and interests. Shall we say, perhaps, that Sonia was internet shopping being ever hopeful that He, Mr Right, was out there?"

I know what you mean, DW, but I wouldn't say, for my part, that I'm shocked if Sonia was on internet dating sites. Lots of professional women are -- like you say, looking to find a good relationship yet too busy to do so the conventional way. I think she had a profile up before she met her bf -- MSM or her brother reported that she met him at a farmer's market and not online. From friends I know who use these sites, often folks keep their profiles up but aren't active when they are in a relationship; that way, if the new fella doesn't work out they still have all their lists of contacts and don't have to write the profile again. If Sonia and her bf had periods where they were broken up, it makes sense that she would return to the site. I don't think there's anything shocking about that :)

But I know what you mean, about her likely being picky. Maybe someone got mad because she rebuffed them, online, in one of the "off again" periods?

I have just joined and I have been reading all of the comments and I do have something to add. I am not sure if the killer was driving because I heard from a few people that worked at the Tim Horton's (on broadway close to sv's house) that the night the murder took place there was alot of blood left in the males washroom. Le was informed and the information I was told is that LE did not respond to the call figuring it was probably left from someone that got into a fight at the bar across the street so it was cleaned up. Not 100% sure that this would have been where the killer cleaned himself up but it seems like a big coincidence that so much blood would be left in the males washroom on the same night as SV's murder. The only reasoning that makes sense to me is that this person had to get cleaned up before they could go home because they either live with someone or they were walking and did not want to be seen with so much blood on them?

c125

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member