CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
O/T

When I started my Laptop some minutes ago, I noticed on the right side my own WLAN connection and others as always. But something is brandnew: Federal Task Force WLAN (in German) # (my postal code). :thinking:
Does anybody know, what that means (without technical explaining, please, I'm too non-savvy).

I'm just going to pipe up here and ask whatever happened to the students that were at the time domiciled by her home? I seem to recall that she had called the police/filed complaints about them on one or several occasions. That's niggling at me. From what I recall they left the area a few weeks after the murder. To attend university elsewhere? I can certainly see a group of young men being angry at the b&@ch who complained about them. This bothers me. Going back to lurking now. This case has bothered me greatly from the beginning. I remember when it was the top story on the CTV nightly news and I'm flabbergasted that we are no further advanced.

I agree Gina. A neighbour posted an add for two tenants immediately after Sonia's murder! This neighbour was interviewed and the video of this is no longer available but there are quotes still in print. This is the neighbour who gave the statement that her windows were open and she didn't hear anything. Yet others claim to have heard yelling and squealing tires (????) The age range is young. That's all I'll say about that. JMO

I agree Gina. A neighbour posted an add for two tenants immediately after Sonia's murder! This neighbour was interviewed and the video of this is no longer available but there are quotes still in print. This is the neighbour who gave the statement that her windows were open and she didn't hear anything. Yet others claim to have heard yelling and squealing tires (????) The age range is young. That's all I'll say about that. JMO

Hmmmm. I really hope that the police dotted their i's and crossed their t's with these young men. I'll have to try to dig up the quotes still available in print. They would still be young men today (24-25ish) if I recall correctly.

Another person quoted with the same last name as the male quoted from the post above:

Neighbour Steffen Lundy, a resident of the quiet, dead-end Spring Street, heard a ruckus late Sunday night in the vicinity of Ms. Varaschin’s home.

“I was sleeping and pretty much woke up to car tires squealing … and yelling,” Mr. Lundy recalled.

So how come no one else has mentioned noise that night? One neighbour stated that she heard nothing. Too contradictory for me to believe. Also, mentioning that one is sleeping is creating an alibi IMO. What about the yelling? Was it male? Female? No specifics. Hink. JMO

Yes interesting. I just went back and read the first thread and saw that the aforementioned SL had moved to Montreal for a while right after the murder but he is now back in Orangeville working in construction no less:-0 They are all friends from what I can see and SL and BL are probably related. They seem to be in the mid-20's age range.
I can't seem to find where I had gotten the info that Sonia had made a complaint about some young men living in her neighbourhood from. I know I had read it at the time but couldn't find it in the threads.

I also just google mapped the locations in Oville and it's surreal that her car was abandoned at pretty much the exact intersection of the only street (Amanda street) that leads back to the townhouse complexes. I never realized before how close the car was left to her house. An easy 2 minute run. Wow. There was no reason to leave it at that exact spot except for convenience. And the police have said all along that they believe that her killer was local and knew the neighbourhood and the complex very well.
I agree Matou about providing that quote to the media could be a great alibi. "Oh I was at home sound asleep at the time but I was awakened by the yelling and squealing tires while I was you know at home and sound asleep". WTH?

Yes interesting. I just went back and read the first thread and saw that the aforementioned SL had moved to Montreal for a while right after the murder but he is now back in Orangeville working in construction no less:-0 They are all friends from what I can see and SL and BL are probably related. They seem to be in the mid-20's age range.
I can't seem to find where I had gotten the info that Sonia had made a complaint about some young men living in her neighbourhood from. I know I had read it at the time but couldn't find it in the threads.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...chin_murder_probe_set_to_enter_new_phase.html

In addition to those alleged disputes, Michele has revealed for the first time that her daughter, who lived alone, had several disputes with three or four young men, who had rented a unit a few doors away, because of their late-night rowdiness.

“She was a nurse who worked shifts, so she called the police on them several times,” Michele says, adding that the young men have since moved out of the complex.

Did you mean this part?

ok, I wholly understand if this post should be deleted, since I cannot find a link to support it. But it is my very strong recollection that I read somewhere -- in a news article -- that another neighbour suggested that the report of screeching tires/yelling the night of Sonia's murder was not to be taken too seriously. I don't think the article explained why. I'm so sorry because I can't find a story now to support my memory. But I feel like I actually posted about this (with the link and quotes) a long while ago on one of Sonia's pages (here or UC). Drat!

I found a working link with lots of info from neighbours, thanks to FromGermanyand soccermom:

Asked if investigators have spoken with her boyfriend, Beckett said he wasn't aware she had one. He wouldn't comment on her personal life.

"We'll be leaving no stone unturned in an effort to find Sonia," Beckett said, pointing to the joint investigation with Orangeville police. "Hopefully we find her safe and sound and we can reunite her with her family."

According to neighbour Diane Bowering, Varaschin worked as a nurse until she vanished and lead a relatively quiet life.

"I didn't see her very often but the kids did. All the kids used to play down at the bottom of the hill and she used to give them candy and stuff like that so, very sad," Bowering said.

Asked if she ever heard problems at Varaschin's home, Bowering said, "nothing at all. She mostly worked nights so we never ever saw her so." Some neighbours heard "noises" coming from the house just before 3 a.m. Monday, Bowering said, echoing mumblings other neighbours repeated, unable to name the source of the information. Some neighbours flatly refused comment.

"Some of them heard screams and tires squealing," Bowering said.

"I live right next door and I didn't hear anything," said Kim Fievet.

"It's really scary, like we don't know anything. Especially for the kids. This whole neighbourhood is filled with kids. The kids don't want to go outside," Bowering said. "We leave our doors open down here and the kids go out to play and now we can't do it." Asked if police are looking for any suspects, Beckett said their primary goal is to find Varaschin. Varaschin was described as 5-foot-1, 125 pounds, with brown hair and light streaks.

Another neighbour said Varaschin usually parked her car inside the garage, which was open and empty Tuesday. She was an avid cyclist who had a bike rack on her car, the neighbour said.

OK so one neighbour is not mentioned in this particular article but that female neighbour also reported not hearing anything, having her windows open.

So Sonia gave out candy to the kids who played at "the bottom of the hill". Where is this? Is this at the bottom of Spring Street? So could someone have been watching her from a slightly different area than the townhouse complex?

On the night Sonia was removed from her home, was her car in the garage and was it left open? Wouldn't this make noise?

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/08/31/15194301.html

IMHO, young guys don't wake up to jack **** in the middle of the night due to any noise outside. Women tend to wake up more often, especially if they have kids. JMO

They collected DNA from people right? They did a huge DNA sweep of most area men didn't they? I wonder when certain men returned to town and if they were included? Why the recent release of the parkette/bandstand surveillance tape from that morning? A gentle reminder to some?

IMHO, young guys don't wake up to jack **** in the middle of the night due to any noise outside. Women tend to wake up more often, especially if they have kids. JMO

Don't know but how about ... see the bbm in that sequenze? Though re murder I would rather think of men without children.

This item was in the unsolved Toronto Cases thread and reminded me of Sonia...
rbbm.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ronto-Crimes-Discussion&p=2667683#post2667683

"●On November 9th, 1993, 39-year-old Catherine Clark was beaten and strangled to death in her eighth-floor apartment at 200 Wellesley St. in downtown Toronto. Security guards discovered her body sprawled on her bed. Police believed she knew her killer and admitted him to her apartment. Clark, an unemployed registered nurse, frequently used telephone and newspaper dating services, and the theory is her killer was a date with whom she had a violent altercation."

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but: I always assumed that there was something highly unusual about Sonia's murder that LE has not released to the public. I know the official explanation for the summit included reasons like Sonia was SUCH a low-risk victim, and US profilers were in the area, so-to-speak, and this was opportunity to generally share expertise, but: I have never been able to shake the feeling there`s a lot more about the scene or scenes we`ve not been told. Because I believe Audrey Gleave`s murder and Sonia`s could be connected, and because in AG`s case there has been much speculation about the "trophy" taken, I wonder a LOT about what we might not have been told here. To bring in fbi profilers? Hold a 3-day summit? To call this crime "very rare"? But, again, I know this kind of speculation likely doesn't help.

Getting caught up. But excellent post.

I also just google mapped the locations in Oville and it's surreal that her car was abandoned at pretty much the exact intersection of the only street (Amanda street) that leads back to the townhouse complexes. I never realized before how close the car was left to her house. An easy 2 minute run. Wow. There was no reason to leave it at that exact spot except for convenience. And the police have said all along that they believe that her killer was local and knew the neighbourhood and the complex very well.
I agree Matou about providing that quote to the media could be a great alibi. "Oh I was at home sound asleep at the time but I was awakened by the yelling and squealing tires while I was you know at home and sound asleep". WTH?

Could the killer have gone back into the house after ditching the car? For reasons unknown to retrieve something? Reckless but we already know he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab