Found Deceased Canada - Thelma Krull, 58, Winnipeg MB, 11 July 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't anyone think it's *odd* that her glasses were not discovered until a few days after she went missing, even though there were searches being conducted from the time she was reported missing, and if the glasses had been there at the time, they would have been found?

"Days later her glasses and cell phone were found at Civic Park."
Winnipeg police still looking to identify suspect in Thelma Krull disappearance

"Tuesday, Thelma’s glasses were found at the Valley Gardens Community Centre, but since then the trail has gone cold."
Winnipeg police ‘grasping at straws’ in Thelma Krull case
According to early reports, the civic park was searched by police 'again' on Tuesday, because her phone had pinged the area, and that afternoon it was found. Police tape up at Valley Gardens C.C. amid search for Thelma Krull

To me, it's more surprising that her cellphone wasn't immediately noticed by a member of the public. I'd walk past a pair of glasses, but not a cellphone.

To me, that means they were quite hidden from both the public on the walking path, and the people who had already searched the area, maybe at the base of a tree (that's where the memorial was placed).

After finding her things, forensic examiners also found evidence she had suffered a 'medical event' at that same location. I would guess they found blood.

If the items were planted, it seems to me the perp would put them somewhere other than where the incident occurred, since knowing the location allowed police to examine all the CCTV footage.

On July 11, 2018, it was reported that her glasses and cellphone were found in the Valley Gardens area of the park. This is on the opposite side of the park than the tennis courts.

It seems that she was near the tennis courts when she arrived at the park, and then she was at the Valley Gardens side of the park. That is where her phone and glasses were found, so that leads me to believe that this is where she was abducted.

Winnipeg police seek leads in Thelma Krull case | CBC News

IMO that's just inaccurate reporting. I think in those early days, journalists used the name of the community centre because people in Winnipeg would know what area that meant. The more careful journalists referred to the 'fields' around the community centre, ie the whole green space. Also, journalists didn't know the exact location where her things were found.

According to early reports, the civic park was searched by police 'again' on Tuesday, because her phone had pinged the area, and that afternoon it was found. Police tape up at Valley Gardens C.C. amid search for Thelma Krull

To me, it's more surprising that her cellphone wasn't immediately noticed by a member of the public. I'd walk past a pair of glasses, but not a cellphone.

To me, that means they were quite hidden from both the public on the walking path, and the people who had already searched the area, maybe at the base of a tree (that's where the memorial was placed).

After finding her things, forensic examiners also found evidence she had suffered a 'medical event' at that same location. I would guess they found blood.

If the items were planted, it seems to me the perp would put them somewhere other than where the incident occurred, since knowing the location allowed police to examine all the CCTV footage.
I believe LE said that because the glasses showed signs of distress, not necessarily that she suffered a medical emergency, because of what was reported below. I believe the glasses and phone could have been planted there after the fact, and mangled on purpose. jmo.

“Shortly after arriving, Thelma experienced some kind of distress,”Sgt. Wes Rommel said. “It is our belief that this distress was the result of either a medical situation she experienced or an encounter or ultimate abduction by an unknown individual.”
The fact that her glasses remain as well as her cell phone is one of the pieces we have to indicate distress,” Rommel said.
He also indicated the glasses ‘showed signs of distress’.

Winnipeg police say it’s possible Thelma Krull was abducted

I believe LE said that because the glasses showed signs of distress, not necessarily that she suffered a medical emergency, because of what was reported below. I believe the glasses and phone could have been planted there after the fact, and mangled on purpose. jmo.

“Shortly after arriving, Thelma experienced some kind of distress,”Sgt. Wes Rommel said. “It is our belief that this distress was the result of either a medical situation she experienced or an encounter or ultimate abduction by an unknown individual.”
The fact that her glasses remain as well as her cell phone is one of the pieces we have to indicate distress,” Rommel said.
He also indicated the glasses ‘showed signs of distress’.

Winnipeg police say it’s possible Thelma Krull was abducted
That's a good point, I was probably reading more into the evidence than what they found.

LE seem pretty confident about the time, so I hope they are able to back that up with CCTV footage of her heading there.

What surprises me is that the park is so wide open, yet it seems that she crossed the park without anyone seeing anything that caused concern.

"Krull was last seen at about 7:23 a.m. CT on July 11, 2015, when she left her home in the Grassie Boulevard area for a walk while training to hike the West Coast Trail in British Columbia. Police believe she made it to Civic Park near Kildonan East Collegiate at about 8 a.m.

Her glasses and cellphone were found in the Valley Gardens area shortly after her disappearance."

Winnipeg police seek leads in Thelma Krull case | CBC News

View attachment 156829

He could have been waiting there, in a vehicle. Right there in the parking lot. When he thought no one was looking, he made a move and then drove to the area at Kimberly and Grey. Parked and when they had gotten out was when they were seen. If that 's the case, I don't think this was a robbery, unfortunately.

Here is a police video from 2017 from Global News. Here the spokesperson says they have a pretty good ideal of who the individual is (the indigenous looking man) and wouldn't say if they had spoken to him or not. Police speak about man in connection to Thelma Krull disappearance | Watch News Videos Online
Good find, that does indicate they are suspicious of a specifuc guy, but they need more evidence. Possibly, the witness they have is not entirely reliable.

It's weird because the officer speaks as if that person is 'known' to others, ie it seemed he was asking for info on a specific individual, however he wasn't giving any info about the individual.. I thought a long time ago, I had read something about a possibly developmentally delayed man who worked in some capacity at the centre..
My issue is that .. several things. What would the motive *possibly* be? ie TK wasn't carrying cash or cards, and her phone wasn't even taken; she was an older woman, and perhaps on the overweight side - if someone was looking to rob someone, or to sexually assault someone, there were plenty of others to choose from. And why haven't there been any reports of anything similar in the area, either before or since? Where did this person *take* her that was hidden *so* well that TK hasn't been found to this day, how many years later? Why wasn't the phone (and glasses) found and/or found pinging during the first searches, but was subsequently found days later? Why did nobody see anything out of the ordinary that morning? If someone has suspicions about a developmentally disabled person, or a native person, sometimes prejudices form the basis of such suspicions and why did it take a year to report such a suspicion? Who was TK texting the evening before, and while she was seen walking on the CCTV - her daughter said she didn't try to contact her until 9am? Why did her husband inappropriately (publicly) refer to TK in the past tense only a day or two after her disappearance? Lots of women like to read little sayings of positivity, perhaps on a calendar or something, but yet TK was to the point of actually writing them out on sticky notes and attaching them to areas where she would see them - what was going on in her life and with her emotions to have the need for that type of behavior?

"Her inspirational posters are still on the walls and her sticky notes with positive messages still on her desk, one reads, 'the harder the conflict the more glrious the triumph.'"
Thelma Krull’s co-workers waiting for her to return

Attachments

• sticky note at work globalnews.jpg
    sticky note at work globalnews.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 7
It's weird because the officer speaks as if that person is 'known' to others, ie it seemed he was asking for info on a specific individual, however he wasn't giving any info about the individual.. I thought a long time ago, I had read something about a possibly developmentally delayed man who worked in some capacity at the centre..
My issue is that .. several things. What would the motive *possibly* be? ie TK wasn't carrying cash or cards, and her phone wasn't even taken; she was an older woman, and perhaps on the overweight side - if someone was looking to rob someone, or to sexually assault someone, there were plenty of others to choose from. And why haven't there been any reports of anything similar in the area, either before or since? Where did this person *take* her that was hidden *so* well that TK hasn't been found to this day, how many years later? Why wasn't the phone (and glasses) found and/or found pinging during the first searches, but was subsequently found days later? Why did nobody see anything out of the ordinary that morning? If someone has suspicions about a developmentally disabled person, or a native person, sometimes prejudices form the basis of such suspicions and why did it take a year to report such a suspicion? Who was TK texting the evening before, and while she was seen walking on the CCTV - her daughter said she didn't try to contact her until 9am? Why did her husband inappropriately (publicly) refer to TK in the past tense only a day or two after her disappearance? Lots of women like to read little sayings of positivity, perhaps on a calendar or something, but yet TK was to the point of actually writing them out on sticky notes and attaching them to areas where she would see them - what was going on in her life and with her emotions to have the need for that type of behavior?

"Her inspirational posters are still on the walls and her sticky notes with positive messages still on her desk, one reads, 'the harder the conflict the more glrious the triumph.'"
Thelma Krull’s co-workers waiting for her to return

You still have not provided any serious link for you suggestion that the area where the glasses and the phone were found had been searched earlier and those objects were missed at the time.

Do you know the exact spot were they were found?
Were the glasses and the phone found together?
Do you have an overview of the searches per detailed area?

IMHO no one here knows those details.

Police have never disclosed the exact area where the glasses were found (as per this attached video). They were found after a police search on the 14th (and confirmed by police on the 15th). They were brought to the area by a cell phone ping from Thelma's phone. They have just said somewhere in "Valley Gardens". On the 13th/14th there was police tape up around the community center and including the parking lot. police-locate-missing-woman-s-glasses-near-valley-gardens-1.3152984

Here is the news link where the family says a locator ping came from Thelma's phone on Saturday morning: Police tape up at Valley Gardens C.C. amid search for Thelma Krull

This attached image shows the intersection (marked with a yellow star) of Kimberly and Grey. Directly above the star is a three-storey apartment complex called Gateside Gardens. To the left of the star are two other three-storey apartment buildings, the property of which is called Kimberly Gardens. To the southeast of the star are what appear to be two-storey townhouses each separate entrances for each. To the east of these are small homes. Circled in red are the different parking lots for each building that he could have used in the event that he was parked in a vehicle in the parking lot at Civic Park and accosted Thelma as she passed, threatening her possibly with a knife (which is often the case). He could have even parked right on the road. Police believe the abductor had immediate access to a building in the immediate area. Both Gateside Gardens and Kimberly Gardens had controlled-access entrances.

Attachments

• Parking lots.jpg
    Parking lots.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 6
My issue is that .. several things. What would the motive *possibly* be? ..And why haven't there been any reports of anything similar in the area, either before or since? Where did this person *take* her that was hidden *so* well that TK hasn't been found to this day, how many years later?

RSBM

These are the big questions. However, there have been other cases of older women being targeted.

Stephanie Stewart, 70, was attacked one morning at her fire tower in Alberta and has never been found. A pot of boiling water and a smear of blood: 12 years later, fresh clues sought in Stephanie Stewart's disappearance

A recent case of a sex offender who has preyed on elderly women for a long time. Man accused of killing Portland woman, 89, had decades of disturbing behavior

I'm also reminded of the case of Hannah Meketech, 69, murdered by Derek Saretzky apparently as practice for his planned later killings.
Killing of elderly woman was 'practice' for slayings of dad and girl, Saretzky trial told

So, unfortunately, I don't think we can rule out abduction on the basis of the victim's profile, a killer has their own reasons and motives that are unfathomable to anyone but himself.

As to the body never being found, to me that indicates her killer was smart enough to have figured out how to hide it. That doesn't suggest developmentally delayed, to me.

Fortunately it does appear police have a lead, and the suspect knows he's a suspect, and if nothing else it will keep that person from doing anything illegal.

3 years after she vanished, Winnipeg police find skull belonging to Thelma Krull

The skull found by a hunter in the RM of Tache in late October belongs to missing Winnipeg grandmother Thelma Krull.

Steinbach RCMP were called in to the secluded and forested area around Chemin Perrin Road just off of Municipal Road 52N on Oct. 27 after the discovery was made by a hunter that evening.

Police investigators flagged a pathway to where the skull was found, nearly 300 feet in from the roadway.

In early November, residents who live in the area told Global News forensics investigators had returned to the site multiple times.

The hunters who found the skull spoke exclusively to Global News Thursday.

They said they were out on the land, hunting. When Marcel Trudeau’s son shot at a deer and went to see if he hit it, he made the discovery.

BBM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member