Identified! Canada - Tofield, AB, 'Septic Tank Sam' Ntv/WhtMale 1046UMAB, Apr'77 - Gordon Edwin Sanderson

Wow! Great find dotr! I wonder why 'The Fifth Estate' would be releasing this information as opposed to police???

I’m not sure how but it appears the Fifth Estate (CBC) received the information from the RCMP. If his identity is to be released tomorrow, I’d imagine the RCMP will hold a press conference and so this seems CBCs preemption of that occurring.

“A man whose death in Alberta has fascinated armchair detectives for years has finally been identified by the RCMP using genetic genealogy, The Fifth Estate has learned. ..”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/septic-tank-sam-killed-1977-1.6083537

If they know poor 'Sam's' identity now, I wonder if they also may have gathered an idea of potential circumstances and possible suspects, even if that person(s) may never face trial?

As his identity is known, I’d imagine the RCMP have already talked to every known person he was connected with. Knowing his name, considering it isn’t yet public, they had that piece information on their side.

Why didn’t anyone ever report him missing? Would old tax records indicate his employment, a driver’s licence, vehicle registration or other records might lead to his place of residence?

Tomorrow’s announcement and what they know will be interesting. I also wonder if a suspect would ever be charged but they might be especially rattled, especially if the killers were multiple and just one decides to talk.

If they know poor 'Sam's' identity now, I wonder if they also may have gathered an idea of potential circumstances and possible suspects, even if that person(s) may never face trial?
It is almost as if they know who the perp is judging by this....imo, speculation.rbbm.
''Lammerts said he believes the killer is dead by now but said that if he is still living, he is unlikely to face justice.

"How [are] you going to punish the guy now anyway?" Lammerts said. "You going to send an 82-year-old guy to jail now? What do you do with an 82-year-old man that killed somebody 50 years ago?"

It is almost as if they know who the perp is judging by this....imo, speculation.rbbm.
''Lammerts said he believes the killer is dead by now but said that if he is still living, he is unlikely to face justice.

"How [are] you going to punish the guy now anyway?" Lammerts said. "You going to send an 82-year-old guy to jail now? What do you do with an 82-year-old man that killed somebody 50 years ago?"
Quoting one of your older posts, it definitely seems like they have/had an idea of who.

Who killed 'Septic Tank Sam?' rbbm.
"Even after all these years Sgt. Warren still thinks about the murder.

“This tends to be one of the more baffling,” said Sgt. Warren who had a 41-year career with the RCMP.

Sgt. Lammerts said it’s clear the body wasn’t supposed to be found. The killer(s) went to great lengths to hide the body.

“There’s no doubt in my mind. Five to six months tops and there would have been nothing left.”

Who was capable of the brutal murder

Sgt. Lammerts said someone capable of the torture and murder isn’t normal and without a doubt is cruel.

“That type of cruelty; beaten, burn marks all over, torture, you have to have a different background to do that.”

The person who committed the murder – if still alive – would be 67 to 72 now (2019) and it hasn’t bothered his conscience (yet), he pointed out.

He said, however, that RCMP always believed that decades later, someone in their 80s, would have a guilty conscience and confess to the police, thinking at that age they wouldn’t get much, if any, jail time."

Where to call in tips

If anyone has information about this cold case they are asked to call Tofield RCMP at 780-662-3353.

The reference case number is 2012502446. Or, if you want to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Or go online to https://www.tipsubmit.com/webtipsstart.aspx.

Or email the National Centre for Missing Persons and Unidentified Remains at
canadasmissing-disparuscanada@rcmp-grc.gc.ca

As his identity is known, I’d imagine the RCMP have already talked to every known person he was connected with. Knowing his name, considering it isn’t yet public, they had that piece information on their side.

Why didn’t anyone ever report him missing? Would old tax records indicate his employment, a driver’s licence, vehicle registration or other records might lead to his place of residence?

Tomorrow’s announcement and what they know will be interesting. I also wonder if a suspect would ever be charged but they might be especially rattled, especially if the killers were multiple and just one decides to talk.
Maybe 'Sam's' killer is a family member?

Last edited:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

... Lammerts is a now-retired RCMP officer who was involved with the case in the past but is not commenting as a representative of the RCMP. He is speculating and using 'an 82-year-old guy' as a hypothetical; he thinks the killer is probably dead but doesn't know for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

... Lammerts is a now-retired RCMP officer who was involved with the case in the past but is not commenting as a representative of the RCMP. He is speculating and using 'an 82-year-old guy' as a hypothetical; he thinks the killer is probably dead but doesn't know for sure.
I agree, my first thought was that he used that sentence as an example.

Last edited by a moderator:
An article about "James Cooper" and the murder of realtor Mary Ann Plett near Tofield in 1971.

Sept. 15, 1971: Real estate agent’s murder remains a mystery | Edmonton Journal

I have long wondered if these two cases were connected. Maybe we'll find out tomorrow?

Would a "pumping company" deal with sump pumps on acreages?

Anything’s possible but Fort Assiniboine is about 2 hrs NW of Edmonton. Tofield is due east, just less than 1 hour so they’re quite a distance apart. Septic tanks are indeed pumped out but pumping companies perform many other services as well including involvement with industrial pumps in the oil and gas industry, ie pumpjacks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back