CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #33 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say the reporter is an urban person with little understanding of the AG business. PF has some cows at the 35-acres. They can be seen in the pipe pens and in his dog videos. But you don't "run" cattle on that home acreage which is also 2/3 forested. PF "runs" his cattle business from the 35-acres, but the herd of cattle is "running" on BLM land elsewhere.

Is this somehow complicated? Beef cattle are out "running" all over the western states. No one feeds them daily or checks on them.

IMO it is also an urban-suburban mentality that finds it strange that adult children in any AG family continue to live at home. That's the norm, multi-generational family on one farm or ranch. They build more housing as needed.
IIRC, the dog videos are from 2014 and probably not the best indicator of what livestock is currently on the property, nor do they support the assumption that PF was still selling cattle dogs as mentioned upthread.
MOO

Last edited:
She's probably in a psych ward

JMO
Unless LE does not have charges waiting for her then I dont see that as a possiblity because in other cases where a suspect went to a hospital for injuries then usually the moment the person is barely healed up then they are formally arrested and taken under the care of the jail administration which I think has their own hospitals they work with for any other health care needs a person would need.

I dont see them allowing that to happen for any length of time unless there were no formal charges coming which could be the case.

I do think maybe LE has made a plea agreement with her to testify against PF and they may have arranged to where she is staying so long as she does not leave the state.

I tend to agree that the news probably meant to say he runs his business from his ranchette but not necessarily had them grazing there. The address of the business is probably listed where he lived and he manages it from there but grazing the cattle is probably done on leased land somewhere else. Unless he only had 15 cows, I dont think 35 acres is enough to have too many to make it profitable.

From this article it says the average
rule-of-thumb is that it takes 1.5 to 2 acres to feed a cow calf pair for 12 months

"It looks like our rule-of-thumb
held up pretty good, 11 cows
on 20 acres, is 1.8 acres per

cow. We have enough forage to feed
our cows for the whole year
. These figures give you a
good estimate and are a
great place to start"

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb1097070.pdf
I like your thinking, but I don't see much of this stuff in the video, either:
noun
noun: forage

bulky food such as grass or hay for horses and cattle; fodder.
synonyms: fodder, feed, food, foodstuff, herbage, pasturage;

His finances tend to be a little confusing. If he had zero expenses, his income would probably be great.
Yet he claims he didn't have enough money to marry. It could all just be a lie because he didn't want to marry. But, then again, he had a public defender making you think he wasn't rich.
At first when I came across this story, I thought 'rich rancher'. Now I'm not so sure.

Re: the public defender. I don't think he lives paycheck-to-paycheck, but I don't think he's rolling in cash. I'd be very surprised if he has much in savings and easy-to-access investments.

Question for the posters who know more than I do about this: is the recent livestock sale a 'normal' thing? Would he ordinarily be selling at this time of year - and apparently selling the whole herd? Or is this an early sale to get cash?

I would say the reporter is an urban person with little understanding of the AG business. PF has some cows at the 35-acres. They can be seen in the pipe pens and in his dog videos. But you don't "run" cattle on that home acreage which is also 2/3 forested. PF "runs" his cattle business from the 35-acres, but the herd of cattle is "running" on BLM land elsewhere.

Is this somehow complicated? Beef cattle are out "running" all over the western states. No one feeds them daily or checks on them.

IMO it is also an urban-suburban mentality that finds it strange that adult children in any AG family continue to live at home. That's the norm, multi-generational family on one farm or ranch. They build more housing as needed.
Oh...cows run all over the western US! I didn't know that. I thought they had barns and feed.
Interesting to me. :)

He just sold his all his cattle at auction and had significantly more than 35. Looks like he had 94 by my count.

- MARKET REPORTS
50520747_535662626942955_3223447443265814528_n.jpg

Yeah, that entered my mind too. Did PFs relatives want him to marry? The house looks kinda big. And some parents do take in adult children and spouses. I did it once.
And especially if he's helping to run the ranch. Mystery there.
Maybe PF's relatives wanted him to marry or partner with someone who would help with the farm work rather than someone with her own, separate career in another field that required her to commute and them to babysit. MOO

Re: the public defender. I don't think he lives paycheck-to-paycheck, but I don't think he's rolling in cash. I'd be very surprised if he has much in savings and easy-to-access investments.

Question for the posters who know more than I do about this: is the recent livestock sale a 'normal' thing? Would he ordinarily be selling at this time of year - and apparently selling the whole herd? Or is this an early sale to get cash?
Frequently asked questions (same source above)
When are your sales?
Sales every Wednesday starting at 10:00am with special bred cow sales November through May.

Btw: I thought, the ranch had another name? On PF's Facebook though he had changed his pic and it shows "P - F" as a cattle branding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teller County allows ONE well on land up to 35 acres, there is no other house on this property, as it would have to share the one well that is there.
Private Wells for Home Use - 6.700 - Extension

Oh, he could have dug a septic & uses leech lines.

In either case, I find nothing unusual about him living on the family ranch. It works. His mom prob likes the help, with chores.

Oh...cows run all over the western US! I didn't know that. I thought they had barns and feed.
Interesting to me. :)
You made me laugh out loud. LOL.

Yes, beef cattle roam and graze on large tracts of land in the west. There are still real cowboys on horses, herding dogs, and also they now use ATV's and small aircraft, and GPS tracking, to find the cattle when the owners want to round them up.

I knew a guy who owned a $50,000 Black Angus breeding bull they couldn't find. They took their small plane out (they also made money leasing their plane to other ranchers for the same purpose) and found him dead in a ravine. I said if I owned a $50,000 bull, he'd have his own bedroom inside my house!

Dairy cows must be tended to daily, milked. They are likely to have barns and a combination of green grass pasture grazing and daily feeding of corn, hay, etc. So you are correct. They tend to live and produce for several years.

Beef cattle are grown for slaughter and breeding. They have short lives.

IMO, this is a normal time of the year for F’s to sell.
They may sell/buy/sell/buy.

Not that I know more than you, but his was listed as a complete dispersal. That is not normal. I would say that he did this because he is not there to take care of the livestock or to pay for the upkeep- extra food, medicine etc.

He would also have to pay off the loan that he likely had on the cattle. It is pretty typical that you don't buy in cash, because you can't afford to. So you have a short term loan and you make the difference between what you bought them for in the first place and what you sold them for after paying loan and expenses.

Frequently asked questions (same source above)
When are your sales?
Sales every Wednesday starting at 10:00am with special bred cow sales November through May.

Btw: I thought, the ranch had another name? On PF's Facebook though he had changed his pic and it shows "P - F" as a cattle branding.

P-F is the business name. The ranch itself may have a different name- and it is also owned by his mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa