Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know nothing about the legalities regarding the recording in question. Curious how the recording in and of itself, could be considered defamation of character?
For several reasons but I don't want to derail the thread.

Did he have someone watching them? Wasn't he there too? Somewhere? Where was he when they were pulling up the bike? How did he know people were walking all over the side of the road where prints or tracks might be?
Good questions.
Here's a theory : It happened that way because he said it did. ^^^

Other than that, it's anyone's opinion.
His interview seemed well thought out, and not unplanned; if that makes sense.
Imo.

I'd really like to know exactly where BM was when he was seen sitting in his vehicle soaking wet with his chest leaning on the steering wheel. Is there a water source fairly close to where he was?

Yes, in the prequel to the video we are discussing TD was there walking around getting a lay of the land per se. He shows that below the parking lot, there is a fast moving river/creek. It was actually much more vibrant and fast flowing than I had imagined.

Defamation of Character. Part III
... A hot shot lawyer could have contacted BM to advise him he'd have a great case against TD for slander and defamation. That same lawyer could have put the fear of god in TD giving him a persuasive argument that he'd spend the rest of his life paying restitution to BM.
@branmuffin :) bbm sbm Gonna repeat myself here, because in listening to the 'Raw Interview' youtube, I did not hear what some others heard.

What false & defamatory stmt did youtuber make/post about BM? What damages did BM suffer?
Based on youtuber's "Raw Interview" vid talking w BM (I have not seen any other of his vids or posts), I did not hear or read any stmt seeming to fall into defamatory or 'defamatory per se' category. For more re US law on civil defamation, see text in my post 717.
If BM were to file suit against youtuber re this vid, imo, judge would grant motion for dismissal as petition fails state to a cause of action upon which relief may be granted. jmo

Maybe a verified atty will weigh in to the contrary or to confirm. Thx in adv, hotshot lawyers.

This "chance" video is as orchestrated as the 27 second plea for Suzanne. Barry is in control folks, This wasn't an accidental meeting with this Tyler fellow. Clever how they thought of the threat at the end to make it seem more legitimate. IMO
That is a dangerous path to go down, if true and found out, that would just be one bridge too far to maintain any kind of credibility. Huge red flag for an observant LE that is still investigating.

I know nothing about the legalities regarding the recording in question. Curious how the recording in and of itself, could be considered defamation of character?
IANAL but one of our attorneys answered in this thread that it is not. Colorado is a 1 party state, meaning as long as 1 party knows it’s being recorded, it’s not illegal. There is no expectation if privacy on a public road. If this had been recorded in BM’s home, that might be a different story. I don’t think defamation enters into it.

Yes, in the prequel to the video we are discussing TD was there walking around getting a lay of the land per se. He shows that below the parking lot, there is a fast moving river/creek. It was actually much more vibrant and fast flowing than I had imagined.
bbm
The bolded bit is depressing.
An efficient way to throw evidence away for good !

So he may have been in or near the river ?
Is that what you're saying ?
Not impossible but we can theorize that he went swimming and was wasn't up to anything nefarious.
Imo.

IANAL but one of our attorneys answered in this thread that it is not. Colorado is a 1 party state, meaning as long as 1 party knows it’s being recorded, it’s not illegal. There is no expectation if privacy on a public road. If this had been recorded in BM’s home, that might be a different story. I don’t think defamation enters into it.
I'd be surprised if the YouTuber took the post down on his own. YTers are all about clicks and I have to believe that video was doing pretty well (even if he was taking some heat for it) - JMO, but if he took it down he was either advised to or compelled to (if not by BMs lawyer - which seems unlikely, by LE??)

If they truly have cleared him and haven't announced anything AND haven't visibly shifted the focus of the investigation (outward toward an abduction, for example), I'd be pretty upset if I were BM. Not that LE has to take the SO's feelings into account, but that does seem particularly awful to let someone twist in the wind like that, under the public's scrutiny, if you really have cleared him from suspicion (unless you have a prime suspect that you are closing in on and don't want to tip your hand).... but I certainly don't get that vibe from this case.
I don't see BM under public scrutiny. And I will changed my opinion if LE comes out and says they didn't clear him.

When was the last msm article? I think he retained an attorney so news media could not contact the family directly and they haven't. I doubt they are following any social media but LE sure seems to be as they have asked the rumors to stop.

JMO

Defamation of Character. Part III
@branmuffin :) bbm sbm Gonna repeat myself here, because in listening to the 'Raw Interview' youtube, I did not hear what some others heard.
What false & defamatory stmt did youtuber make/post about BM? What damages did BM suffer?
Based on youtuber's "Raw Interview" vid talking w BM (I have not seen any other of his vids or posts), I did not hear or read any stmt seeming to fall into defamatory or 'defamatory per se' category. For more re US law on civil defamation, see text in my post 717.
If BM were to file suit against youtuber re this vid, imo, judge would grant motion for dismissal as petition fails state to a cause of action upon which relief may be granted. jmo

Maybe a verified atty will weigh in to the contrary or to confirm. Thx in adv, hotshot lawyers.

I don't think TD did anything that would constitute defamation other than giving BM a shovel to dig himself a hole but it's possible he got advice that legal action could have been brought against him for deception. It would be nice to hear from our lawyers here.

Is it a separate video? The only video I've seen BM has a sleeveless blue t-shirt on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member