Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
ITA, our only interactions with lawyers, has been real estate transactions, home, and land purchases, refis, would not recommend them for criminal defense.
My mother’s small estate handled by another specialized lawyer.

IANAL, but IMO the girls may be in process of becoming their mother’s executor of any of SMs property, not considered common property with BM. It would make legal sense to separate themselves from their father, doesn’t necessarily mean they think he did this.
I can think of several high profile cases recently where innocent people were charged(bogus) and bankrupted in the process; it happens. I am not making any statements about CO justice system, merely saying, it is prudent to take these steps, and not an indicator of guilt. IMO.

Very insightful thank you!

Oh yeah. Attorneys for every need. Like doctors.

my mind would be only on my mother.
My mind would be on my mother, but it's also true that the world doesn't stop and 'things' still have to be done, even if those things are tedious or a pain. Legal matters are one of those things.

Having gone through estate planning (first with my mother during and after my father's death), then doing so with an attorney in my area for my own estate planning, medical directives, power of attorney and all that important stuff one has to take care of, there's lots of paperwork, notaries, blah, blah, and that's even for a simple estate with no trust needed or anything complicated.

Why would they even need an attorney to sort out the Go Fund Me?
Why would the daughters need an attorney under this circumstance?
Could be a tax attorney or where to put the money that's taken from the GiveMeMoney platform. Life can be complicated even when it shouldn't be. There could be arranging of investments or, as I suggested upstream, setup of a trust, which needs an attorney to do properly.

IMO

Surely, IF Barry is responsible for Suzanne’s disappearance, the daughter’s interests diverge from their father’s. If I was his daughter, I’d want my own legal counsel.

Last edited:
ITA, our only interactions with lawyers, has been real estate transactions, home, and land purchases, refis, would not recommend them for criminal defense.
My mother’s small estate handled by another specialized lawyer.

IANAL, but IMO the girls may be in process of becoming their mother’s executor of any of SMs property, not considered common property with BM. It would make legal sense to separate themselves from their father, doesn’t necessarily mean they think he did this.
I can think of several high profile cases recently where innocent people were charged(bogus) and bankrupted in the process; it happens. I am not making any statements about CO justice system, merely saying, it is prudent to take these steps, and not an indicator of guilt. IMO.
I get that. Innocent people being charged, maybe to squeeze them for information? Makes me sick. But I don’t get everyone running to lawyers first thing. It does provide income for attorneys I guess.

Its the part of the girls “separating” themselves from their dad. Why?
I would think he would assist them in them becoming executors for their mom. Especially if he is innocent. I am wondering if this is just a rumor.

ETA: I just watched PE video. Rumor says girls hired separate lawyers. Insane to me. Reason?

I hope LS special about Suzanne is uploaded on youtube or facebook. Because i live in europe i can't visit the fox 21 website. Does anyone know where it will be uploaded?

You can ‘Like’ and ‘Follow’ Lauren’s Facebook and Twitter pages. She usually posts all of her news updates and interviews there.

FB: Lauren Scharf

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LaurenScharfTV

My mind would be on my mother, but it's also true that the world doesn't stop and 'things' still have to be done, even if those things are tedious or a pain. Legal matters are one of those things.

Having gone through estate planning (first with my mother during and after my father's death), then doing so with an attorney in my area for my own estate planning, medical directives, power of attorney and all that important stuff one has to take care of, there's lots of paperwork, notaries, blah, blah, and that's even for a simple estate with no trust needed or anything complicated.
So I guess that’s Barry’s reasoning for taking care of business. I understand that. I would still be a basket case, curled up in a ball and crying for my mom or spouse. I’m just saying what I feel. So I disagree with that family. Period.

I really feel this is a rumor and I personally don't give it much credence. A nameless worker at a bike shop rehashing local gossip with a stranger. IMO
Wise words, @Tate123. I just got all excited because it was News! About the case!
But I do take into account that it is a very small town and people do know each other and word does get around. There is usually at least a grain of truth in every rumour.

And it is at this point, a rumor.

I know nothing about these funds, I would need a lawyer to guide me.
IMO the older daughter is the person handling the fund, she will ultimately be tasked with dissolving and dispersing any remaining funds. An accountant could probably give advice.
This seems to be a simple process, but given OUR discussions on this fund, much less SM, I sure as heck would want legal advice.

There are many things the girls will need to navigate simply based on their mother’s disappearance.

My original posts on this was this, BM likely has a criminal defense lawyer, guilty or not.
Most of the other issues require other specialized lawyers, whose fees are likely less.
Also, the girls interests need to be protected.
Even if their father is found innocent, he will likely need a lot of money, getting to that point.

Trusts can be complicated to someone who may set one up once in a lifetime, regulations and laws, etc change, even from the time you set one up to the next.

I have a lot of admiration for lawyers, I rely on them to keep current, so I don’t have to.

I work with attorneys - real estate, probate, corporate litigation, business, and estate planning - If my parent was missing, and I was the recipient of general public funds for a "search" etc., I would go to an attorney - for assistance in the proper, legal withdrawal and spending of those funds. If I suspected a family member was involved, or knew something and was not forthcoming - I would want that same legal assistance and advice. but that's just because I'm around them all day every day. It's too soon IMO to worry about handling SM's estate - for now, she's married and the rules of CO and IN joint property will prevail. And short of bringing about a civil lawsuit there isn't much to be done until she is located or an arrest is made. Her joint assets are his until we are told otherwise (i.e. Trust, individual accounts, etc. -JMO)
all my own opinion.

Your posts brought this to mind, the girls ARE dealing with a lot of stress. Not just their mother’s disappearance, but also suspicion on their father, guilty or innocent. Why would anyone expect them to handle all the legal difficulties associated with this?
Most of the issues will be quickly and legally handled by a skilled lawyer. it is stressful even when a loved one dies after months of illness, the minutiae is overwhelming. I would be more suspicious if they did not have separate lawyers, or no lawyers. I am trying to answer from a layman’s perspective, which is helpfulIMO
but I think I need to consult a lawyer?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley