Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

I have handled hundreds of DV cases, including homicides. I have heard several top DV experts testify. They all talk about patterns. Theses are behaviors that are common in DV cases. If there is any evidence of these patterns from the spouse of the missing person, then more suspicion will be warranted. Perhaps LS will uncover this in her report tonight. That would be the type of potential evidence that would be significant in this case....IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, these are your beliefs and feelings based on what you see.

The other poster feels differently based on what they see or do not see. Perhaps they do not have super powers that allows them to read and interpret the actions of LE?

I have handled hundreds of DV cases, including homicides. I have heard several top DV experts testify. They all talk about patterns. Theses are behaviors that are common in DV cases. If there is any evidence of these patterns from the spouse of the missing person, then more suspicion will be warranted. Perhaps LS will uncover this in her report tonight. That would be the type of potential evidence that would be significant in this case....IMO
That we agree on. This case does not have the elements found in most spousal homicide cases.

We have no rumors of domestic violence, no known police calls to the home, no known financial or marital issues, and on the surface, this looks like the quintessential American family.

But I cannot ignore what I am seeing, and that supersedes all else. For whatever reason, they are looking at BM. I’m convinced that is both true, and there is a solid basis for it.

There is precedent though, as numerous happy marriages with the same elements (to include marriage length) have ended in homicide (I can think of two local ones).

So unusual? Absolutely.
Does it happen? Absolutely.

That we agree on. This case does not have the elements found in most spousal homicide cases.

We have no rumors of domestic violence, no known police calls to the home, no known financial or marital issues, and on the surface, this looks like the quintessential American family.

But I cannot ignore what I am seeing, and that supersedes all else. For whatever reason, they are looking at BM. I’m convinced that is both true, and there is a solid basis for it.

There is precedent though, as numerous happy marriages with the same elements (to include marriage length) have ended in homicide (I can think of two local ones).

There is no doubt that LE has extensively investigated the spouse of the missing person...IMO

So, I'm one of those pesky fence sitters :eek:;), I can see why things point to BM and do accept he is certainly coming across as mighty suspicious in his behaviours etc. but I am struggling as to the reason why he would harm his wife and the mother of his children - I mean they have been together a REALLY long time and would have faced some struggles during their time together. I did some reading on husbands killing their wives, and found some interesting things (interesting to me anyway) I read a number of articles/news articles/papers etc. one from the CDC (why does the Centre of Disease Control do studies on spousal killings? genuine question ) and from what I gathered women who co-habit are more likely to be killed than married women - 9 out of 10 co-habiting women, a married man is more likely to kill a 'mistress' particularly if they are younger and pregnant, the women would be most likely under 40, financial gain isn't always a motivator but jealousy if the wife wanted to move on was quite a big motivator - I did find that interesting, particularly in light of SM's illness and previous thoughts/opinions on here of her re-evaluating things, that made me think that SM wanted to re-direct her life and BM wasn't happy with the idea?
I read something by Dr Moncton Smith (Criminology Expert) - some of the British W/Sleuthers will know of her I would have thought - she stated there was an '8 stage pattern' that Uroxicide (think I spelt that correctly) follows - there was some points for discussion in there I feel such as 1,2,3,4,6 and 7 (although I am unclear whether some of them could be discussed here as we don't know what they were like and what relationship dynamics were when they first met etc. and as this was on BBC News - I don't know if its verified?). I am not too tech savvy though and cant seem to copy the links properly - just my thoughts, thanks for letting me share and sorry if I bored any of you :).
I understand 'fence sitting.' I have been leaning against the fence for awhile now, only because LE has been so silent.

But as to your question:
"...but I am struggling as to the reason why he would harm his wife and the mother of his children - I mean they have been together a REALLY long time and would have faced some struggles during their time together."

I think it could be that having been together for so damn long, it helps a husband feel like he can control and 'own' their partner. Being with someone for decades, since high school, often makes a spouse feel like no one else can ever be with that partner , even if they separate or divorce.

And yet being together so long can bring anger and resentment and people often grow apart. Healthy people can have a mutually beneficial divorce. Toxic people cannot do so as easily.

Last edited:

And yet we often see convicted murderers who have not had any patterns of Domestic violence or abuse.

I do not believe Scott Peterson ever beat or assaulted his wife---until he did on Christmas Eve,

Patrick Frazee did not have any prior charges of domestic violence. Nor did Chris Watts.

In fact, there might be a 'pattern' there--- violent killers whom never had acted out violently before the murder.

Thus when a poster says she thinks the spouse of the missing person is innocent, they should not have to explain much more than there is no evidence indicating guilt at this time. <modsnip>
It is possible, taking into account a poster’s personal sensibilities, that one poster may feel a discussion is antagonistic while another poster may view that same discussion as discourse.

And nothing about any of that indicates the LE is solely focused on the spouse of the missing person...that is your belief and it has not been verified. There are numerous scenarios that could have lead LE to respond how they did. Also the execution of a SW is not evidence in and off itself. A SW is meaningless if it does not produce evidence or proceeds of a crime.

Despite all the efforts by LE no arrests have been made, no suspects have been named and really no indication of what happened and when it happened has been presented.

Thus when a poster says she thinks the spouse of the missing person is innocent, they should not have to explain much more than there is no evidence indicating guilt at this time. Why keep pushing for some greater explanation? It seems unnecessarily antagonistic.

While the purpose of your post is unclear to me, I am perfectly clear with my knowledge of the hundreds of hours WS members have spent on cases investigated and tried specifically under the criminal code of Colorado-- including Chris Watts and Patrick Frazee. Please be advised that each of these cases began as missing person investigations of their victims.

And I'm talking about hundreds of threads of theoretical, speculative, posts -- all absent of law enforcement's verified information, sources, evidence, interrogation, etc. used to convict two dangerous criminals.

Yes, we discuss cases without knowing the minds of LE. That is what we do on crime forums -- WS no exception. Please respect our experience, albeit outside the courtroom.

And if and when BS is named a suspect and/or arrested, it won't change a thing -- except that he'll be the alleged killer.

MOO

Yes, there are patterns in DV cases. Many DON’T end in the victim disappearing into thin air. Divorce, yes. OTOH there are all those spousal murderers that NEVER exhibited any violence against their partner until they needed them “gone, gone.” No pattern to dissect there, just “everything’s fine” until it ISN’T and the partner disappears.

< modsnip>

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
And yet we often see convicted murderers who have not had any patterns of Domestic violence or abuse.

I do not believe Scott Peterson ever beat or assaulted his wife---until he did on Christmas Eve,

Patrick Frazee did not have any prior charges of domestic violence. Nor did Chris Watts.

In fact, there might be a 'pattern' there--- violent killers whom never had acted out violently before the murder.

Should we add Fotis Dulos to the list?
You may be onto something about that.

My neighbor was very happily married. Couple of kids, very successful, husband had a high powered job that caused him to travel on a regular basis. But wife was happy. She saw (or so she says) no cracks in the marriage. He seemed like a decent guy. Then she found out that he had another family in another state, complete with kids that were close in age to their kids. He lived a completely double life. She divorced him, and the last time I saw him, he was with the other family. They had to sell the big house they lived in and she downsized to keep the kids in the school district. Who knows, maybe Barry wasn’t willing to give up a penny. He has big plans. Of course, just one of the many theories and certainly unsubstantiated.

I have been following this case from the beginning and it really touches a nerve with me as well. I think because I am in that age group with 2 children, long term marriage, etc. Anyway, while in general in these cases it is usually the spouse and it very well could be in this case, I don't believe that there has been anywhere near enough information to make an "informed" decision on who caused SM to disappear. We literally know nothing except that a woman disappeared and searches were done. I too am surprised how much hate has gone BM's way with knowing next to nothing about the case. JMO!
Welcome to WS and all opinions are important - what you may see on this thread is a lot of us Sleuthers have seen this scenario just too many times - the missing and located remains of the many women (And men and children) these threads are full of murders by SOs, parents, husbands, boyfriends - And I don’t think it will be any different here IMO
Eta: located and may I add those families are lucky - we are still looking for Jennifer

Last edited:
While the purpose of your post is unclear to me, I am perfectly clear with my knowledge of the hundreds of hours WS members have spent on cases investigated and tried specifically under the criminal code of Colorado-- including Chris Watts and Patrick Frazee. Please be advised that each of these cases began as missing person investigations of their victims.

And I'm talking about hundreds of threads of theoretical, speculative, posts -- all absent of law enforcement's verified information, sources, evidence, interrogation, etc. used to convict two dangerous criminals.

Yes, we discuss cases without knowing the minds of LE. That is what we do on crime forums -- WS no exception. Please respect our experience, albeit outside the courtroom.

And if and when BS is named a suspect and/or arrested, it won't change a thing -- except that he'll be the alleged killer.

MOO
bbm
Ah, yes... a little respect goes a long way. ;)

I have much respect for those who have shared their expertise in certain areas here at WS and I am always learning !

Yes, there are patterns in DV cases. Many DON’T end in the victim disappearing into thin air. Divorce, yes. OTOH there are all those spousal murderers that NEVER exhibited any violence against their partner until they needed them “gone, gone.” No pattern to dissect there, just “everything’s fine” until it ISN’T and the partner disappears.

If members want to ignore how LE is handling this case and believe that LE is NOT focused on BM or that if they are, they’re making a HUGE mistake, that’s fine. I’ll send them my condolences when their perfect image of BM disintegrates into ashes.

MOO

You do have a way with words.
My opinion is that there's no where else to look, as LE have not indicated even once that we need to be on the lookout for an abductor , a bike 'accident', or a mountain lion out for revenge.
Nope.
Their focus is closer to home.
Sadly.
Imo.

Thank you for stating this. Sometimes it feels like some have this notion that if they see people smiling on Fakebook and that they have lots of money and live in an expensive home that all is magical and wonderful and that evil will never soil their doorstep. Unfortunately, they are in a dream world. JMHO
I don't think that you can tell from the outside of a marriage (long or short) what it's like inside.

I know people who are *still* with their abusers.

I was in an abusive relationship for 18 years - so 25 years doesn't sound that long to me. Further, I know couples where there's no abuse, but one of them is a serial adulterer - but they are "good Christian people" and they hide it very well. In fact, they are both really cool, smart people in helping professions - I assume that she still doesn't know, but everyone else who knows them...knows. But things could turn south at any time.

Are you under the impression that only shorter marriages have the potential for abuse? Or that older people don't kill each other?

I think it's not that simple. Rage killings happen across all married age groups, and are often related to poor impulse control that has usually shown its ugly head before. Planned killings are rare, but usually involve affairs and money.

Rage killings include losing one's temper and doing something like shoving someone (who just happens to be standing on a precipice of some kind). Shoving can also be premeditated.

When are these killings most likely to occur? When the abused partner tries to leave, gets more independent, etc. When the couple is isolated (we're seeing an upsurge in murders and DV during the CoVid shutdowns). When there are financial problems. When there are health problems. When all of this has an effect on the bedroom.

There can be all kinds of problems under the surface of apparently successful marriages.
I call them FB and Instagram marriages - all is fabulous on the outside and inside the home ? Anger, infidelity, debt, and so much more - until one partner wants more and the only way to get it is to kill the other JMO

I think we all would agree with that, somewhat disconcerting they haven't cleared him that we've heard about.

I gotta' be honest:

I don't find it the least bit disconcerting that BM hasn't been cleared by LE.

I don't have any expectation whatsoever that BM will ever be cleared by LE.

Whereas, I'd be completely gobsmacked if LE did clear him.

Gob. Smacked.

JMO.

Last edited:
You do have a way with words.
My opinion is that there's no where else to look, as LE have not indicated even once that we need to be on the lookout for an abductor , a bike 'accident', or a mountain lion out for revenge.
Nope.
Their focus is closer to home.
Sadly.
Imo.
Exactly. And, we can either accept it or ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod